• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Hardware 8bitdo is making a wireless recreation of the Neo Geo CD Controller (it's got a clicky D-pad nub!)

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
neo-geo-cd-wireless-controller.large.jpg

revealed today and priced at $34.99. it'll work on Windows, Android, and the Neo Geo mini console that launched a few years ago.

while the original console it was made for isn't considered particularly good due to it suffering from incredibly long loading times (thanks to it's slow reading single speed CD drive, they tried to fix this by making a japan-only revision with a double speed drive, but by that point the damage was already done.) the controller got consistently praised. with it's unique d-pad design later going on to appear on the Neo Geo Pocket.

I saw this in the Analogue Pocket subreddit earlier then immediately preordered. Most 8bitdo controllers are compatible; I’d be shocked if this wasn’t.

I have a standing agreement with a redditor to buy their Neo Geo Pocket adapter. They only wanted the one for TurboGrafx-16. I’m hoping they remember and don’t think I’m weird when I private message them. Really shiesty of Analogue to force people to buy three adapters.

Last edited:
I don't need a new controller...but being able to finally try out that clicky "stick" is mighty tempting, even as someone with very minimal Neo Geo experience. Maybe some day, my funky controller friend...

That is super cool. I want one. I already have a ton of retro controllers, what’s one more? On the other hand, I don’t play Neo Geo CD games super duper often.. But still! Look how cool it is!

Speaking of retro controllers, if 8bitdo wants to make a Dreamcast controller, I’d be all over that.

Last edited:
It came, and so did i
F68suiYXgAAcwHV

...What is there to say? The closest i've been to having one of these in my hands was renting a Neo Geo Pocket from the brick and mortar VG store where i used to byu all my games. I've never forgotten the feeling of a clicky stick, or so i tought, because it's better than i remembered.

Out of the box it doesn't work with the Switch and you need the 8btido BT Adapter 2 with a beta firmware to do so, but i have several Neo Geo games from Amazon Prime's free monthlies and i've tested a couple of them already - i'm about to go out so i don't have time for more... yet - and man, suddendly they click again.

Like, i've played KoF obsessively for years, i've gone through every single pre-Playmore Metal Slug multiple times, i've played Breakers until they became second nature for me, SamSho, Fatal Fury Special, Art of Fighting... Using several controllers, as well as my keyboard, and none of them, EVER, have felt right.

They do now.

Neo Geo games are tailored for 2D gaming on an arcade stick, the MVS controller itself is a reproduction of the AVS arcade stick! SNK's pretzel-like inputs and Metal Slug multidirectional shooter don't feel right on a D-Pad and common controller sticks lack the proper feedback to make them work properly.

As for more precise impressions, buttons are 1,2 cm wide and the stick, wich comfortably houses your thumb, needs around half of your thumb movement to produce inputs, at wich point you find the microswitches and the click happens. The click is both audible and tactile, you can feel the switch being pressed and confirming your input, it feels like a mechanical keyboard, and i you think that sounds good, wait until getting in game with it.

Stick gating is round outside, but clearly square inside, making diagonals easy to input since your finger is naturally guided at them. It will screw up your shoryuken input muscle memory, you need to actively unlearn the D-Pad thumb motion for it. On Garou, i picked Terry and everything worked like a charm, but the stick disrupted every attemp of doing a Power Dunk until i stopped and analyzed the stick gating and movement, once i did it started to come out just as easily.

TLDR; the controller is god tier, and it feels comfy and solid in your hands, build quality seems legit, but only time will tell, particularly regarding the microswitches' durability.

If you ask me, 8bitdo either fucked up or gave up to greed by not making this controller Switch compatible by default, but it's worth the extra cost only to play your Switch Arcade library as it deserves.

Sorry for doubleposting, but let's say that... i took it onto myself to give you guys impressions about this thing, and give you impressions i will.

So, i received the last piece of the puzzle this morning:

F7dM-CcWkAAZH9y

20 € for the adapter, with the novelty of increased compatibility as well as compatibility with the Ultimate Software - wich i didn't manage to make work yet - For those of you think that you could mistake it with the controller's black 2.4 Ghz receiver, don't worry: You wont, this one is significantly bigger.

On the software side of things, it didn't come updated out of the box, i had to use the 8bitdo firmware updater, and the 1.06 firm isn't on Beta anymore. Once updated, pairing the controller was fairly easy with the only caveat of having to set the backside switch on the BT position. The default button mapping is:

• Stick -> D-Pad
  • A -> B
  • B -> A
  • C -> Y
  • D -> X
  • L -> L
  • R -> R
  • ♥ -> Home
  • ★ -> Nothing
As far as i have tested, there isn't a combination to bring up the main menu in the NSO apps, wich is a shame because playing SNES games with this is an interesting experience, but the effect is basically the same as playing Neo Geo games with a D-Pad: It feels wrong lol.

I also played it on the Arcade Archives titles i own, including some non Neo Geo games, and my conclusions are:
  1. It works wonderfully
  2. The games play as intended, no ifs, no buts. They feel incredible. Button mapping is different than in the Windows ones, wich work with Xinput controllers as a default. To make it easy to understand, in Metal Slug Grenade is mapped on D in the Windows version and on A in the Switch version, and Jump and Weapon are switched. It feels more natural on Switch btw, it reminds me to the button mapping in the standard cabinets most arcades had.
And as a final commentary, in the remote case anyone from 8bitdo reads this:

Unless anyone can tell me an unsurmountable technical limitation on why this doesn't work on Switch by default, forcing us to purchase the Bt Adapter 2 is pretty scummy when the controller itself has bluetooth connectivity. Unfortunately for me, i'm such a fan of 8bitdo products and such a sucker for Neo Geo stuff that i knew i was going to bite, but i shouldn't have to. It's not fair. The controller is great, but only nostalgics like myself and fighting fans that for some reason prefer to play on Switch will fall for this scheme.

Thankfully i'm enough of a tinkerer to know that i'm going to give this a good use (it's compatible with the NSO N64 controller! Now i just need to be able to make it work with the Ultimate software so i can remap the controls...) but most people wont, wich means that most people that wants to use this controller on Switch will pay 20 € literally for no reason.

Also, enable ★ for screenshots, ffs, i want to capture my epic Ultra Combo finishers.

Last edited:
Triple posting for a quick update. I hope the mods don't mind. This one is important since Hamster has put some Neo GEO games on sale this week.

I've tinkered a little with the ACA Neo Geo games i have and turns out that the default button mapping isn't correct.

It's supposed to make sense with a Nintendo controller? I guess it kinda does with FG, but absolutely isn't with anything else. The ABCD buttons arent mapped 1:1 to ABXY, wich leads to some nonsensical configs, and when you have the controller in your hands and check it with the quick in game tutorial, it's clear that everything's wrong.

Remap your ACA games!! Each Game has an in-emulator mapping tool, USE IT.

Welp, I got mine in today, updated the firmware and got it to work with the Switch but not the Analogue Pocket. The switch was delightful when I messed around with it on the Switch though.

The Analogue Pocket got an update for the dock and it now works with the controller! Messed around with it a little, and it works like a dream for the arcade cores.

Welp, I got mine in today, updated the firmware and got it to work with the Switch but not the Analogue Pocket. The switch was delightful when I messed around with it on the Switch though.
How did you get it to work on Switch? Wirelessly or with the dongle?

Back
Top Bottom