• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sports 2024 European Football Championship (14 June - 14 July)

Which "big" teams will fumble the group stage and fail to advance to the knockout stage this time?

• France in Group D (Poland, Netherlands, Austria)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Portugal in Group F (Turkey, Georgia, Portugal, Czech Republic)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MissingNo.

🖤🩶🤍💜
Pronouns
he/him
Welcome to the official thread to follow and discuss the 2024 European Football Championship! This time around, Germany is taking on hosting privileges, returning to hosting a major football competition for the first time since the 2006 World Championship, hosting a European Championship for the first time since 1988.

This handy match schedule has all the facts you need to know in one source, but I'll provide a bit more info on the venues below. Click on the image for full size. Kick-off times are in the local CEST (UTC+02:00).

Schedule

Berlin (Olympiastadion Berlin)
Capacity: 71,000
Home to the second-tier Hertha BSC Berlin
Berlin
Leipzig (Leipzig Arena/Red Bull Arena)
Capacity: 40,000
Home to the first-tier RB Leipzig
Leipzig
Hamburg (Volksparkstadion)
Capacity: 49,000
Home to the second-tier Hamburger SV
Hamburg
Dortmund (BVB Stadion/Signal Iduna Park)
Capacity: 62,000
Home to the first-tier Borussia Dortmund
Dortmund
Gelsenkirchen (Arena AufSchalke/Veltins-Arena)
Capacity: 50,000
Home to the second-tier FC Schalke 04
Gelsenkirchen
Düsseldorf (Düsseldorf Arena/Merkur Spiel-Arena)
Capacity: 47,000
Home to the second-tier Fortuna Düsseldorf
Düsseldorf
Cologne (Cologne Stadium/RheinEnergieSTADION)
Capacity: 43,000
Home to the second-tier 1. FC Köln
Köln
Frankfurt (Frankfurt Arena/Deutsche Bank Park)
Capacity: 47,000
Home to the first-tier Eintracht Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Stuttgart (Stuttgart Arena/MHPArena Stuttgart)
Capacity: 51,000
Home to the first-tier VfB Stuttgart
Stuttgart
Munich (Munich Football Arena/Allianz Arena)
Capacity: 66,000
Home to the first-tier FC Bayern München
München

My vacation starts the 14th, and UEFA 2024 starts on the 14th - what are the odds!

Looking forward to it, despite my home country not being here this time around. Germany probably with the best arenas in the world the audience is always cookin, cant wait to look at some spectacular games.

As for the poll, Spain and England fumbles

Judging by the other day England can't even beat a country that:
  • Didn't qualify
  • Couldn't beat Luxembourg home or away
  • Has a total population only slightly larger than my hometown, and
  • Has had maybe two continentally notable players in their entire history, neither of which were in the squad
Given that third-place can qualify this time I don't think there's much chance of them not getting to the knockout stages, but I'm expecting them to play Germany and lose on penalties.

Other than that, Group B is definitely the group of death. Albania too strong.

Can't wait to be out in the sun with friends, a cold beer in my hands, watching a game. Fuck the UEFA, but an international football competition is peak summer, maybe I should've nominated this for the Bash at the Beach tournament in General Discussion.

As for the poll: England, Germany, and Italy are my picks, with decreasing likelihood.

Group B is an absolute beast though, and I could see it going either way.

Thanks for making the thread!

Ronald Koeman seems like a big fraud and the player selections don't seem to correlate with actual performances, so I fear they'll head out very early. I think England make another quarter final exit. They have many great players, but you do need a better manager than Southgate to clinch it.

I'm not confident in our Oranje squad. Not feeling the team either.

Koeman as a coach is not bad, but I'm somewhat puzzled by some choices (No Maatsen?) he made. Why Wijnaldum? He isn't the guy from a few years back at Liverpool. Memphis is always busy with his own match, so I'll be happy when he retires from Oranje. Wout Weghorst is a dramaqueen and I just don't care for the guy. Why Bergwijn is with the team is beyond me, he had an awful year. Luckily he brought Frimpong along...

If Oranje survives the Group Stage, colour me surprised.

As a German, I worry having two old man in a three man midfield is one too many and about our reliance on Wirtz and Musiala to pop off.

Nagelsmann has been more pragmatic, coherent and self-correcting than Flick and latter era Löw, but it's still all a shaky construct and the unnecessarily early decision for Neuer over ter Stegen may yet go down as one of the most avoidable literal own goals, possibly even literally, in the DFB's tournament history.

Oh nice we have a thread here for it!

As a Scot it's a rare time we qualify for a tournament so I'm just here to enjoy it and hope we can get out of the group for the first time ever.

Form has taken a dip since we qualified and we have had a few key injuries unfortunately but hopefully we can cause an upset on Friday in the opening match

I can't believe so many people believe England will fumble the group stage, especially with most of the teams that end in 3rd place qualifying. I think England and France are the favourites, and I hope Spain gets kicked out in the group stage.

Was apparent after the first few minutes that Scotland was affording Germany more space behind and between the lines than teams that have demonstrated how to beat us did.

On the other hand, our attempts at pressing have been half-hearted and bad and easily played through, so the fears about coming up against a pacey, counter-attacking side are not laid to rest.

I'm afraid this could get embarrassing being down to 10 men.....
Hopefully we can bounce back in the other two group games

Fun trivia just dropped on german tv:

Our coach and both of his assistant coaches are all younger than Manuel Neuer.

Oldest team in the tournament, but at least the management staff is lowering the average.

I expected Croatia to put up more of a fight, leading to a more open back and forth (my bet was 4:2). That was pretty tame, Spain also surprisingly efficient.

Croatia had Sutalo in their defense; there's your answer.

If one player had his confidence shattered this past season, it's him. I've seen a few Ajax games + highlights, he's been absolutely dreadful in just about every game. Even against smaller Eredivisie strikers he had great difficulty to keep up. As a Feyenoord supporter I chuckled as he fumbled many times and lost them some matches, but as someone who watches sports, I can safely say that Ajax forced a playstyle on him which he can't master. And that destroyed him.

Back
Top Bottom