• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News 08/23/2023 An Update on the State of BioWare

Josh5890

Yoshi
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello again,

Today, rather than discuss one of our upcoming projects, I’d like to share an update about the studio itself and outline our vision for BioWare’s future.

In order to meet the needs of our upcoming projects, continue to hold ourselves to the highest standard of quality, and ensure BioWare can continue to thrive in an industry that’s rapidly evolving, we must shift towards a more agile and more focused studio. It will allow our developers to iterate quickly, unlock more creativity, and form a clear vision of what we’re building before development ramps up.

To achieve this, we find ourselves in a position where change is not only necessary, but unavoidable. As difficult as this is to say, rethinking our approach to development inevitably means reorganizing our team to match the studio’s changing needs.

As part of this transition, we are eliminating approximately 50 roles at BioWare. That is deeply painful and humbling to write. We are doing everything we can to ensure the process is handled with empathy, respect, and clear communication. With that last point in mind, I want to take a moment to explain how we got here, what we’re doing to support our colleagues, and what this means for BioWare’s current and future games.

There is a lot more in the link, but basically they are still full steam ahead on Dragon Age 4, and Mass Effect is in pre-production. They are letting some people go, which is a bummer. My guess is that Dragon Age 4 is probably a couple years out.

In order to meet the needs of our upcoming projects, continue to hold ourselves to the highest standard of quality, and ensure BioWare can continue to thrive in an industry that’s rapidly evolving, we must shift towards a more agile and more focused studio. It will allow our developers to iterate quickly, unlock more creativity, and form a clear vision of what we’re building before development ramps up.
yeah this is a nice way to say cost-cutting

My sympathies to those affected. I hope each one of them lands on their feet and goes on to better things somehow, mass redundancies always suck. Good luck to them all

I just remembered they announced Mass Effect 4 like 3 or 4 years ago at TGA.

That's a lot of words to say "we are laying off people out of greed"

They also apparently cut ties with a playtesting group that recently unionized

They released the Mass Effect Legendary Edition two years ago, and that was very well received. I've had hopes that Bioware was on the road to redemption after Anthem and ME: Andromeda, but we have gone so long without seeing anything on Dragon Age 4. Pretty crazy how high this company was a decade ago.

There's only so much you can do to sugarcoat what amounts to gutting what, 10% of the studio? More? Hopefully everyone affected gets back on their feet.

Hopefully those affected can get back on their feet. I have lost most hope of Dreadwolf being a finished, good project.

Back
Top Bottom