• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Your pipe-dream game ideas

Sander RX

Bob-omb
Pronouns
He, Him
Back on ResetERA, there was this really cool thread by the user ReyVGM called "You game ideas that will never be made"*, it was a thread where users could share their pipe-dreams about their imaginary games. I feel that is a very cool type of thread to have and figured we could get it going here as well.

To start off, I just copied my Nov 4, 2017 post about a game I had dreamed up that was built entirely around that scrolling shoulder button NX controller patent that never came to pass:

"I had this game idea. It was built around the controller hardware I thought “NX” would have. Do you any of you remember dozens of threads around Nintendo patents and people trying to divine what NX would be like based on that? Do you remember the scrollable shoulder buttons?

*insert a broken link to the patent image here*

Back then I was actually looking forward to this control innovation. Of course, it didn’t happen and we never got to find out whether or not it could prove beneficial. Daydreaming about NX shoulder buttons, my mind kinda came up with a videogame.

So what do you think a scrolling shoulder button would be used for? Well, one application is widespread on PC, weapon selection. In essence my idea was built around using these “scrollder buttons” to switch through two weapon menus at the same time, one for each of player characters hands. A sort of an action-adventure game with third person shooting.

But it was slightly cooler than that. You see, the “weapons” in this case were elemental powers, in the style of last airbender, each of two menus mapping it to each of the characters hands, from which you could shoot elemental attacks. You would have a pool of elemental powers, such as fire, water, lightning, etc. You could select a power from the pool for you right hand by scrolling R for the right hand and for L the left hand. Pressing these buttons would launch a primary attack of the corresponding element. Pressing ZR or ZL would would launch a secondary attack of the corresponding element. These would relatively and situational on average, but more potent. They would be under-barrel grenade launchers to primary attacks’ assault rifle. Now the idea here is that all of these attacks would be different from one another. Take water for example: say primary is a concentrated stream of water that damages your enemies like a laser and can be used to cut things, while the secondary is a water bomb that leaves behind a temporary, persisting pool of water in which you enemies can step in. Now here’s the thing, you can make your powers interact in different ways. Say you used the water secondary and there’s a big puddle in which the enemies are standing. You can shoot it with lightning to electrocute them all at once, use frost to freeze it and immobilize them or even use the powerful fire secondary to vaporize it, creating an improvised smoke (steam) bomb to compound your foes and break their line of sight for a flanking maneuver or something. All the individual attacks can be combined in different ways.(for the most part), not just the elements in general.

In addition to mixing and matching, you can straight up fuse two elements into one attack. Your character would shoot the fused attacks through combined hand motions not unlike moves similar to Kamehameha or Hadouken. These would be your “supers”. They would be most powerful attacks that can deal tons of damage. For example, fuse fire and water for a devastating, loud burst of steam with a wide zone of effect. These would require a cooldown or come with some sort of a penalty.

In my mind, NX controller also had paddles, so that’s a third set of elemental applications. These would be mobility options. Like a burst of fire used for propulsion to extend your jumps, or a water jet for a Vanquish slide, or an ice stilt to reach a higher ledge. Speaking of mobility, did I mention this game’s combat would be fast and twitchy? Well maybe not too fast, but there’s an emphasis on staying mobile. Face buttons are mostly jumping and dashing with melee, maybe.

It wouldn’t be just combat either. The game would be mostly spent in Zelda style temples and you would use your powers for puzzle-solving and traversal as well, in addition to combat. Though the combat would be in the forefront.

I sorta came up with a skeleton of a half-assed premise. Obviously, all of this is ripping of Avatar so your character is a sort of an avatar ripoff who has nature element powers running through her upper limbs. She even straight up looks like Korra in my mind. A great conqueror threat with a history with her kind of notavatars is upon the lands and she must travel through her peoples temples to gain all the techniques to become strong enough. She has to contend both with traps and guardians of the temples and enemy forces sent to foil her. You would have evil army officer warriors as your mid bosses and those would be straight up fights. While ultimate temple bosses would be of Quadraxis school of boss design.

You would gain beats and pieces of your full elemental power Arsenal in the temples and confront you Ganondorf at the end of the game.

Your Ganondorf is a giant sorceress twice to thrice your height, wearing a long dress and armor. You fight her on top of a giant blimp.

TL,DR: Combat-focused Zeldalike with tps combat built around a controller that doesn’t exist. Legend of Korra window dressing."

Looking back it seems like something that would be hard to design with all the primary and secondary and "super move" combinations that could exist. I feel like some of these would have to be streamlined or scaled back to exist. Never mind the fact that the entire concept is based around a non-existent controller gimmick. I am not sure it could be realized in any form without that controller, but perhaps it could be if it was less twitchy than I envisioned at the time.

*even my thread name is inferior!

My pipe dream idea is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Battle Royale.

I legit think it's a great idea. The map is huge, the mechanics are interesting and varied, and there can be many ingenious ways to tackle hazards and gain the upper hand in combat. It would tank the frame rate into oblivion if it would release on OG switch though I believe.

My pipe dream idea is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Battle Royale.

I legit think it's a great idea. The map is huge, the mechanics are interesting and varied, and there can be many ingenious ways to tackle hazards and gain the upper hand in combat. It would tank the frame rate into oblivion if it would release on OG switch though I believe.
It doesn't have to be the actual BotW map (that would actually be too big for any reasonable number of players, but some sort of a facsimile or a changed up region or a chunk of a region (it think even regions would be a tad too large) could work really well.

Yeah, I really think a battle royale based on BotW mechanics could be really cool. They'd probably have to change up the melee combat too though.

This has been a frequent daydream of mine when I was much younger - a completely open-ended Doom game with complete destructability, with some demons legit going kaiju-sized, mainly the Cyberdemon or the Spider Mastermind. Just imagine it: you have Doomguy moving around this now deserted urban environment, something between Crysis 2's skyscrapers but with a desolation closer to Fallout or Rage. Demons keep spawning, and as they do, they break doors, windows, bash through walls with certain attacks, with the bigger ones actually able to crash down entire buildings, with all the smoke, dust and rubble that follows. This would make for an extremely dynamic battleground as well, as no two matches are the same, and even the same match keeps drastically changing as time goes on.

While we saw great destruction tech, such as in Battlefield or the ill-fated Crackdown 3's multiplayer, this is obviously nowhere near feasible yet to do in a satisfying manner given today's tech, and in general this isn't something I can see Doom actively chasing in the future either. But if we even got a semi-scripted segment of Doomguy fighting against a kaiju-sized Cyberdemon who's making buildings crumble down, I'd already be happy!

I had this pipedream game idea years ago about a martial arts RPG where you can create your own combos, learn new moves at different schools, switch between styles, take part in tournaments etc. I thought of it as Tekken meets Pokémon.

Then both Pokken and Absolver came out and I was very confused.

But if we even got a semi-scripted segment of Doomguy fighting against a kaiju-sized Cyberdemon who's making buildings crumble down, I'd already be happy!
It may not be quite that, but
you do fight a Kaiju-sized demon in a crumbled city in DOOM Eternal

I had this pipedream game idea years ago about a martial arts RPG where you can create your own combos, learn new moves at different schools, switch between styles, take part in tournaments etc. I thought of it as Tekken meets Pokémon.

Then both Pokken and Absolver came out and I was very confused.
Is Absolver really like that? Might have to look into it at some point.

Is Absolver really like that? Might have to look into it at some point.

Some aspects, mainly the combat. You basically create a combat deck with move cards and can switch between several stances.

The world design is completely different from what I imagined, though. It‘s more of a martial arts souls-like with a bigger focus on PvP.

Last edited:
My pipe-dream game is a The Legend of Zelda - in the City

If you look at GTA V, the map is basically one city, a few villages and a massive countryside. The city is 1/3rd to 1/4th of the map, the villages take up little room and the rest is countryside and mountains.

My dream Zelda would be a same kind of map, a big Hyrule Town and a massive overworld.
The dungeons could be in places like the sewers, an old abandoned castle.
Levels could be in the Zoo, a city garden-like area, a park etc.

Seeing how Red Dead Redemption 2 did Saint Denis (New Orleans) with loads of things to do and lots of diversity and a big bunch of wetlands and forest around it was really inpsiring to see and to play through
scale that up and do rando gen NPCs with a bunch of unique ones. Add in dungeons and use 2/3rd of the map for non-city exploration and put a few mandatory and optional dungeons out there and I'd never have to play another game.

hollow knight picross starring myla
mylayrj2f.png

I know, and that was very welcome! At the same time, it's very confined and there's none of the destruction I envisioned. Still, it was dope!

I've always felt like an Amanita Design created Pikmin point and click adventure would be amazing. I imagine it kind of like a mix between Samorost and Botanicula in tone.

I brainstormed a basic plot for Chrono Break with a friend of mine a while back, taking what Takashi Tokita said about his ideas for it and springboarding from there using some of the paradox ideas introduced in Trigger and Cross to create a goofy twist in the middle.
Does that count? Pretty much any game with "Chrono" in the title is a pipe dream by now, right?

When I was younger, I used to imagine my dream Zelda game having the following premise: Link travels to a post apocalyptic / ruined Hyrule and has to adventure the world to solve what happened and save the land for future prosperity. It imagined it being “open world” before I even knew that was a thing. Ironically, BotW is so darn close to this idea.

One idea I had that I definitely can't make is a cinematic rhythm based musical fighter. You'd have fights between two characters where you need to correctly hit the rhythm cues in order to land or block attacks, and you basically have no control over anything beyond that. But the fights would be super cinematic, like crazy set pieces, being warped into space, shooting laser beams, riding on missiles, shit like that.

Basically Peter vs the chicken but with a rhythm game on top of it. But you'd have like 10-15 characters to choose from, all with different abilities, and every matchup between any two of them would be completely different.

The other idea that I really really want to make one day is pretty much a bog standard 90s era WRPG. Or more specifically, a spiritual successor to Might and Magic.

Bowser Versus Donkey Kong

It would play like some kind of mix between platformer and brawler, in which you pick your side, Bowser or Donkey Kong, and play as your chosen character as he fights his way to the other's lair and fights him as the final boss.

A “mature” “realistic”artstyle 1st party game from Nintendo.

I always wanted a portable Smash Bros. I remember coming up with control schemes to make it work on GBA with its limited buttons.

Now we’ve got two portable Smash Bros games! It’s incredible to think we’ve come so far.

I've recently started to dream about an open-world Pokemon Snap-like game where your goal is to just explore and solve puzzles to find as many Pokemon (+interactions) as you can. I haven't played the game yet, but it sounds like Bugsnax might get at this idea just on a smaller scale. New Pokemon Snap is a triumph of excellent animations that bring a lot of life to Pokemon and their interactions with each other does a lot of help make them feel real. My only real "problem" is that the set path makes it so that you are bombarded with all these great animations and you rarely have the opportunity to just stop and enjoy the view. Also, the mainline games are built around throwing an infinite amount of Pokemon at you so long as you walk through the grass, which makes encounters feel a bit throwaway after the first time you run into one. My dream game would make Pokemon encounters much rarer so that you can really appreciate every sighting as something special.

A Pokémon game that gives off the same sense of adventure the anime does.

0LSVUer.gif

Remember this from the very first episode of Pokémon? An actual unknown Pokémon that no one had heard of. It wasn't in Red/Blue/Green, it wasn't in the Pokédex. Ash left Pallet Town, looked up in the sky and saw a big, golden bird that no one had ever seen before. I want that in my Pokémon games.

zEmExbI.gif

I remember the first time I saw a dragon in the distance in BotW. That felt absolutely amazing. I had no idea dragons were in the game and seeing one fly in the distance, a place I could actually walk to to get up close, felt incredible. Such a memorable moment. The sense of scale... Imagine this being Lugia...

I want to hear Pokémon cries coming from a cave that I can go inspect. I want to find recipes to cook food that lures out specific Pokémon I can't catch otherwise. I really want mystery and freedom in a Pokémon-game that you won't find in the Gamefreak RPG's right now.

h1k3K1p.gif

I need it to have more distinct locations as well. The glowing forest in Sword & Shield was a good start, but a lot of locations/towns/routes just felt too similar or boring.

I know Legends: Arceus is making a little progress in some of these departments and I'm looking forward to it, but it still doesn't look all that intriguing to me, which bums me out. Just look at that Xenoblade gif and how lively that looks. A bird is flying in the sky, animals are walking around, the mountains are huge, there's a lot happening in the distance with multiple paths, a big city, colorful trees etc. Legends: Arceus just looks empty compared to that.

One day... Maybe.

A Pokémon game that gives off the same sense of adventure the anime does.

0LSVUer.gif

Remember this from the very first episode of Pokémon? An actual unknown Pokémon that no one had heard of. It wasn't in Red/Blue/Green, it wasn't in the Pokédex. Ash left Pallet Town, looked up in the sky and saw a big, golden bird that no one had ever seen before. I want that in my Pokémon games.

zEmExbI.gif

I remember the first time I saw a dragon in the distance in BotW. That felt absolutely amazing. I had no idea dragons were in the game and seeing one fly in the distance, a place I could actually walk to to get up close, felt incredible. Such a memorable moment. The sense of scale... Imagine this being Lugia...

I want to hear Pokémon cries coming from a cave that I can go inspect. I want to find recipes to cook food that lures out specific Pokémon I can't catch otherwise. I really want mystery and freedom in a Pokémon-game that you won't find in the Gamefreak RPG's right now.

h1k3K1p.gif

I need it to have more distinct locations as well. The glowing forest in Sword & Shield was a good start, but a lot of locations/towns/routes just felt too similar or boring.

I know Legends: Arceus is making a little progress in some of these departments and I'm looking forward to it, but it still doesn't look all that intriguing to me, which bums me out. Just look at that Xenoblade gif and how lively that looks. A bird is flying in the sky, animals are walking around, the mountains are huge, there's a lot happening in the distance with multiple paths, a big city, colorful trees etc. Legends: Arceus just looks empty compared to that.

One day... Maybe.

Yes, exactly! The dragon moment in BOTW is a perfect way of describing the feeling I'd like captured with an open-world Pokemon game. I want some encounters to feel like events, really sell you on the idea you are witnessing something very special.

Last edited:
Open world Wuhu Island with all the Wii Sports resort games, plus 1080, pilot wings, excite bike, and wave race.

One idea I had that I definitely can't make is a cinematic rhythm based musical fighter. You'd have fights between two characters where you need to correctly hit the rhythm cues in order to land or block attacks, and you basically have no control over anything beyond that. But the fights would be super cinematic, like crazy set pieces, being warped into space, shooting laser beams, riding on missiles, shit like that.

Basically Peter vs the chicken but with a rhythm game on top of it. But you'd have like 10-15 characters to choose from, all with different abilities, and every matchup between any two of them would be completely different.

The other idea that I really really want to make one day is pretty much a bog standard 90s era WRPG. Or more specifically, a spiritual successor to Might and Magic.
Asskicking Musical

Async Zelda multiplayer, where one is responsible for dungeon design and gets to play as the enemies (Ganondorf POV) and the other player is Link. Always sounded like fun to me, although the concept it not at all worked out in my head.

Yes, exactly! The dragon moment in BOTW is a perfect way of describing the feeling I'd like captured with an open-world Pokemon game. I want some encounters to feel like events, really sell you on the idea you are witnessing something very special.

I hate that Pokémon Snap feels more special in its encounters than any of the mainline RPG games. I also love it because I love Pokémon Snap but still.

Async Zelda multiplayer, where one is responsible for dungeon design and gets to play as the enemies (Ganondorf POV) and the other player is Link. Always sounded like fun to me, although the concept it not at all worked out in my head.
Would this be too different from a hypothetical Zelda Dungeon Maker?

Is Ganondorf actively editing the dungeon while Link is going through it?

Would this be too different from a hypothetical Zelda Dungeon Maker?

Is Ganondorf actively editing the dungeon while Link is going through it?

These combined sounds a whole lot like a multiplayer Dungeon Keeper with a Zelda skin. I need it.

I've had the idea before of a Nintendo villains themed RTS game. The premise is the different villains are fighting for control of the world and looking to conquer each other's lands. You will need to build up your villain's armies and set up forts, to advance on your opponent's main lair to overthrow them. The cast could include Bowser, Ganon, Ridley, King Dedede, King K. Rool, Medusa, Captain Syrup, and DJ Octavio for example.

I think adding some action with playing as the commander like in Brutal Legend would also be fun. Nintendo has such a deep array of iconic enemy characters too that seeing how they mix strategically could be really fun. For example, maybe ReDeads are able to stun enemies at close range, so building up Bullet Bill Cannons to eliminate them from afar would be a good plan if you're playing as Bowser.

• Lego Zelda
  • BOTW Kingdom builder strategy (rebuild Hyrule)
  • Xenoblade Monster Hunter game (Xenoblade has a lot of interesting monsters, build them as fights like Monster Hunter)

I'm a simple man who wants a 3D collect a thon platformer in a massive open world. That's it.

F-Zero BR inspired by the anime movie Redline. You start in space and you need to reach the center of the planet alive.

Sounds like a mess, but if anyone can make it work it's Nintendo.

It's Kirby Katamari! How has this never happened? It just seems obvious.

My latest pipe-dream is a high-budget Smash clone crossover featuring the franchises of various Shonen Jump properties. I even made a thread asking people for rosters, because I liked thinking about it.

It would be developed by the Namco staff that actually worked on Smash 4 and Ultimate under Sakurai and they would use their know-how acquired fro that process. It would feature about 30 characters up front and around 10 within 2 DLC packs for a total of around 40. You would have at least one stage per franchise, including some that don't have playable characters, and a load of music, including opening/ending/insert songs, tracks from OSTs and remixes.

On top of smaller mechanical peculiarities, its big distinguishing feature from Smash would be the Assist mechanic. The Assists would be from a separate roster of characters. Basically imagine a Smash game where Assist Trophies can be summoned with a press of a button to fire off a designated move and disappear (there are multiple examples of fighters with this kind of thing. Pokken Tournament comes to mind as a Nintendo example). Each playable character would have like, two separate slots on which they could "equip" the assist characters. You'd use L and R (or the equivalent on another console) for to summon each of the two Assists and they'd go on cooldown until the next use.

A handful of playable characters would be limited to having only one, fixed Assist that is exclusive to the fighter. The trade-off would be that the said Assist has much shorter or non-existent cooldowns and, instead of one designated move, they have 4 (the shoulder button plus the directions of the stick), basically giving the fighter another set of Specials at the cost of Assist versatility. Examples: Tanjiro from Demon Slayer would have a Special Assist in Nezuko, Yor from Spy x Family would come with Loid, Yuji from Jujutsu Kaisen would come with Todo (yes, with the Boogie Woogie swap out).

Overall the assist system would allow the devs to represent a greater number of franchises in a way that could potentially feel more satisfying to the respective fans than something like an Assist Trophy. While the handful of the "special" Assists outlined above would be a template for giving making a few movesets cooler than they'd be otherwise. Ruleset selection would allow you to select a mode without the mechanic, as well as the one where these Assists are items like Assist Trophies and just have a number of uses instead of the cooldown system.

AAA Animorphs game. I don't think it'd be open world. Split up mission by mission, focused on each book, or each important book, anyway.
Oh my god this could be such a good video game.

Imagine dialogue trees with close family members who could be controllers.

I just want a rhythm game JRPG that's like Earthbound in tone and scope but with glorified Stepmania as the combat or something. Bonus points if the story is extremely trans/queer.

My dream game used to be Super Smash Bros. RPG, but Ultimate's World of Light has enough little RPG mechanics that it satisfies me enough there (and also kinda convinces me that it might not even be that great if it existed). I also wanted Melee HD for a while, but Melee on the Slippi fork of Dolphin is probably better than that'd ever be.

I’ve always wanted a Nintendo vs Capcom game with the traditional team based fighting game mechanics from the vs series.

o wow is this another thread for me to bring up the idea that POKEMON X ANIMAL CROSSING COULD TOTALLY BE A THING BUT IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN TO THE DETRIMENT OF HUMANKIND

WHYYYYYYYY

soKsKjT.gif

• wander the great fox, talking to other characters
  • explore areas like a space station like the citadel
  • rail shooter segments where you leave teh great fox to the mission site
  • on foot segments like mass effect, but furry. with the occasional landstalker like the mako
  • grander story

Uniracers platform fighter/smash clone with each color from the OG having an original moveset. I’d main Craig.

A crossover of Super Mario, Donkey Kong and Metroid. It would be a metroidvania and a 2D action platformer at the same time. I dream about it every now and then. Well the fanfic of Super Mario Odyssey 2 having Mario visit other Nintendo worlds is something I root for because I really need Mario and Samus together so badly.

I'd like Nintendo to make a Zelda × Stardew Valley hybrid where you take up residence in Hateno, Kakeriko or wherever, farm and raise crops, talk to your neighbours, develop relationships etc. You can be a Hylian, Zora, any race.

Back
Top Bottom