• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Windows 10 end of service on October 14, 2025; organizations will need to pay ever increasing prices per year per device to keep updates going

Meanwhile my company still running 3 machines with Windows 7 and driving crazy the security auditor but they can't update it as it runs some programs that are not compatible with Windows 10 or 11

My dad's business runs entirely on Windows 10 computers, they're not going to be happy lol.

I've worked in several companies, not gigantic but not tiny either, where everything went smoothly with very easy-to-use Linux distributions.

I'm using W11 and miss 10 so much. It feels like every single update has been just making the OS weirder to use.

My partner has been running Arch for a couple years and seeing all the progress Steam Proton has done lately has me heavily considering just biting the bullet and swapping over to GNU/Linux.

I'm a Mac user so I find it hard to empathize with situations regarding Windows OS - although this news does make me feel old because I remember when Windows 10 was first being shown off and it was this big thing everyone was talking about, at least in my friend circle.

I'm fortunate enough to not have to rely on Windows and to have made the switch to Mac last year, because I definitely don't miss every other Windows update somehow making my PC progressively more unreliable until all I'm left with is a glorified potato.

I've tried upgrading my desktop to W11 in the past but for whatever stupid reason despite meeting the minimum specs, it keeps saying it's not compatible, and I have no idea what the hell I have to do to fiddle with my BIOS to get it working.

That said, I've not exactly been chomping at the bit to use W11 and the responses in this thread alone have confirmed what I've heard irl what people think of the OS

People are upset about this now, but in a year, no one will give a damn. I've been using Win11 at work for a year and it's not been bad - idk how it'll hold up on my large machine, but I'm not too miffed.
I've tried upgrading my desktop to W11 in the past but for whatever stupid reason despite meeting the minimum specs, it keeps saying it's not compatible, and I have no idea what the hell I have to do to fiddle with my BIOS to get it working.
Try activating fTPM in your UEFI settings - Windows 11 wants a Trusted Platform Module for some bizarre reason. If that doesn't work, there's a program called Rufus that lets you bypass the system requirements.

Try activating fTPM in your UEFI settings - Windows 11 wants a Trusted Platform Module for some bizarre reason. If that doesn't work, there's a program called Rufus that lets you bypass the system requirements.
I'll give both a shot, thank you for the advice! At some point I'll get around to updating it haha

I've used it since release and find it perfectly fine.
As for me, I've found some bits to be rough around the edges, but it's not unusable by any means. Though before long, I'll probably be feeling nostalgic for Windows 10

As much as I missed the environment of Windows, these kind of decisions make me glad I was forced to use Linux for a while. Don't have to fall back into this pay to persist OS nonsense. Reminds me of going from XP to Vista after like two years of not having to consider it. Just headache after headache.

I don't see why it needs to be some expensive product if they're clearly still going to support it. Like I get focusing on improving the current OS package and pumping the majority of resources into it, but if updates are being done behind the scenes regardless, and you have this massive install base that includes businesses and the like... "Ever increasing" is pure greed. Just put out a legacy version, or at least cap a price point for what exists. It's not gonna break the bank ffs.

I've used it since release and find it perfectly fine.
Same. The difference in every day UX between W10 and 11 has basically been nonexistent for me. W11 might even run that tiny bit better on my hardware for whatever reason. Been solid all around either way.

Ah so that's the date I change to Windows 11 and use a bunch of debloat, telemetry and UI fixer mods and such.

As much as I missed the environment of Windows, these kind of decisions make me glad I was forced to use Linux for a while. Don't have to fall back into this pay to persist OS nonsense. Reminds me of going from XP to Vista after like two years of not having to consider it. Just headache after headache.

I don't see why it needs to be some expensive product if they're clearly still going to support it. Like I get focusing on improving the current OS package and pumping the majority of resources into it, but if updates are being done behind the scenes regardless, and you have this massive install base that includes businesses and the like... "Ever increasing" is pure greed. Just put out a legacy version, or at least cap a price point for what exists. It's not gonna break the bank ffs.
In today's digital world, software is essential for both businesses and individuals. However, licensing costs can be prohibitive, especially for major brands such as Microsoft, Adobe and Autodesk. This is where Prime License Software comes to the rescue. It offers a wide range of authentic software licenses at prices significantly lower than those offered by the software developers themselves. Every license purchased from Prime License is guaranteed to be authentic, so you can be sure that you will receive the original product with all its features and updates.
I've been using Linux for a while, too. It was a very unusual experience for me

Last edited:
I'm fine with Win11 on my laptop, but my Steam Deck has given me some experience of Linux and, honestly, I can picture a future in which I switch to Linux on my laptop too.

Back
Top Bottom