• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Will we see EPD create new action-adventure IPs at switch2?

Aufhebung RPG

History is tragedy becoming comedy
Considering it's been almost a decade since Splatoon 1, it should be time for them to create a new IP.

1-2 Switch, Arms, Game Builder Garage, Labo, Ring Fit Adventure

There's been a decent number of new IP from EPD on Switch. I don't see why that wouldn't also be the case for Switch 2

Most likely, you're looking mainly to EPD 4 for something wholly original

e: Obviously most of these haven't been as breakout successful as Splatoon was (should note Ring Fit did really well though), because that's an incredibly high bar to set for anything, especially a new IP. There are 20-30 year old franchises that would be happy to sell half as well or as consistently as Splatoon.

Last edited:
then you're asking the wrong question. Nintendo makes a lot of new IPs, some stick some don't. I think we're almost guaranteed to see a new IP. if it sticks, depends on how well it sells
I wish they'd do a single player game consisting of excellent level and gameplay design, and while I know there's such a thing as a Ring fit, I'd like to have something more traditional in operation but more imaginative in this category, and it's really been a long time since Nintendo has put out anything like that other than Mario.

I actually think they should create less new IP next gen so they can finally release ARMS 2.

Yes? Unless this is a "new IP only counts if its a single-player action-adventure game" thread, then we're going to have a new IP from EPD, just like we do every generation.

EDIT: (sees edited thread title) Bruh.

Last edited:
I’m sure there will be a couple, but new IPs are becoming riskier by the day given the rising costs of game development. Considering how many IPs Nintendo has to choose from, they aren’t gonna green light a major new IP unless they’re really confident in it.

I’m sure there will be a couple, but new IPs are becoming riskier by the day given the rising costs of game development. Considering how many IPs Nintendo has to choose from, they aren’t gonna green light a major new IP unless they’re really confident in it.
I'm sure they could develop new games that are small but focus entirely on gameplay and level design, which doesn't have a high cost dependency, like Mario Wonder.

1-2 Switch, Arms, Game Builder Garage, Labo, Ring Fit Adventure

There's been a decent number of new IP from EPD on Switch. I don't see why that wouldn't also be the case for Switch 2

Most likely, you're looking mainly to EPD 4 for something wholly original

e: Obviously most of these haven't been as breakout successful as Splatoon was (should note Ring Fit did really well though), because that's an incredibly high bar to set for anything, especially a new IP. There are 20-30 year old franchises that would be happy to sell half as well or as consistently as Splatoon.
There is also Astral Chain, that while it isn't 100% created by Nintendo, it heavly impacted its design and settings.

We got ARMS a few years after Splatoon though. Not every new IP is gonna sells bajillion copies out of the gate.

Since I don't care for Splatoon, and this is a thread of goal post moving arbitrary definitions of what counts as a new IP, IMO Nintendo hasn't had a true new IP since the Wii Sports series on the Wii. Wait that's casual garbage so it doesn't count, so I guess the last new IP that counts was Pikmin on the GC. Oh wait I don't really care for Pikmin either, and since I can slither like a snake around giving credit to any IP, I think we must conclude Nintendo has never had any successful IP ever.

/s

Threads like this always feel massively disingenuous, where it's just the OP moving the goal post to not give credit to anything that doesn't fit their hyper specific definition. Franchises like Arms, Ring Fit Adventure, or 1-2 Switch may not all necessarily be my cup of tea, but they are clearly major IP for Nintendo which have all sold millions of copies. Arms even got a slot in Smash Ultimate's second DLC wave, anyone trying to claim it's not a major IP is fooling themselves.

Edit: And to be clear I enjoy Splatoon, Wii Sports, and Pikmin.

Since I don't care for Splatoon, and this is a thread of goal post moving arbitrary definitions of what counts as a new IP, IMO Nintendo hasn't had a true new IP since the Wii Sports series on the Wii. Wait that's casual garbage so it doesn't count, so I guess the last new IP that counts was Pikmin on the GC. Oh wait I don't really care for Pikmin either, and since I can slither like a snake around giving credit to any IP, I think we must conclude Nintendo has never had any successful IP ever.

/s

Threads like this always feel massively disingenuous, where it's just the OP moving the goal post to not give credit to anything that doesn't fit their hyper specific definition. Franchises like Arms, Ring Fit Adventure, or 1-2 Switch may not all necessarily be my cup of tea, but they are clearly major IP for Nintendo which have all sold millions of copies. Arms even got a slot in Smash Ultimate's second DLC wave, anyone trying to claim it's not a major IP is fooling themselves.

Edit: And to be clear I enjoy Splatoon, Wii Sports, and Pikmin.
I love pikmin and splatoon, please don't try to second guess me.

Ring Fit Adventure was a massive new IP from just 4.5 years ago, and we got ARMS before that. Also Astral Chain would count, I think... I imagine they will continue to think about new IP when they have a good idea for it.

I'd like to have something more traditional in operation but more imaginative in this category, and it's really been a long time since Nintendo has put out anything like that other than Mario.
Kirby_and_The_Forgotten_Land_Icon.jpg

Yes, it’s HAL developed rather than EPD, but to say there aren’t Nintendo published traditional yet imaginative games is something I don’t agree with.

While the OP ignores a lot of new IPs EPD did made, I do question Nintendo's ability to produce new IPs next gen with so many resources needing to go to sequels to

-3D Mario
-Mario Kart
-3D Zelda
-Splatoon
-Ring Fit
-Animal Crossing
-2D Mario

I'm sure they could develop new games that are small but focus entirely on gameplay and level design, which doesn't have a high cost dependency, like Mario Wonder.
Mario Wonder was in development for forever, with numerous big names on the title. A new IP wouldn’t not receive that type of treatment.

Honestly I doubt Mario Wonder’s budget was as low as people seemingly think. Doesn’t really matter given that Mario is a guaranteed seller where the high quality is almost a necessity. Doesn’t really apply to a new IP, where the sales potential is an unknown.

OP, I think it would have helped if the title matched the thread. As your premise of ‘no new IP in the last decade’ is flawed when it’s clearly wrong. So the title, given your responses above, should have been ‘when will Nintendo make a new action adventure IP’. To which the answer is ‘they commissioned Platinum to make Astral Chain while they knocked out ARMs and Ring Fit to collectively round out the Switch’s library (alongside its existing action-adventure launch titles of Mario and Zelda) in the first few years of its lifespan.’

Switch is well served by single player action adventure titles, Nintendo has loads of IP that all have fans wanting an entry on each console, and when the biggest chunk of those is already Mario/Zelda/Kirby, it’s not hard to see why ‘EPD making another single player action adventure IP isn’t at the top of their list.

OP, I think it would have helped if the title matched the thread. As your premise of ‘no new IP in the last decade’ is flawed when it’s clearly wrong. So the title, given your responses above, should have been ‘when will Nintendo make a new action adventure IP’. To which the answer is ‘they commissioned Platinum to make Astral Chain while they knocked out ARMs and Ring Fit to collectively round out the Switch’s library (alongside its existing action-adventure launch titles of Mario and Zelda) in the first few years of its lifespan.’
Thank you, I just noticed that I can edit the question.

But both Zelda and Mario each have a more distinct gameplay framework, and while Zelda will have all sorts of new gameplay ideas, I feel like they should be able to do something completely new ip get rid of the old shackles altogether and try something completely new.

Hm, I don't think we'll see anything like this for a long time. The EPD groups all have pretty established roles at this point, except for whatever is going on with EPD 1, that's the only wild card.

Thank you, I just noticed that I can edit the question.

But both Zelda and Mario each have a more distinct gameplay framework, and while Zelda will have all sorts of new gameplay ideas, I feel like they should be able to do something completely new ip get rid of the old shackles altogether and try something completely new.
These games do take 5+ years to make now. If a huge portion of their developers are already working flat out to get Mario, Zelda, Kirby and Metroid titles out (amongst others- I expect we’ll see DK or Kid Icarus again at some point), I’m not surprised that ‘new action adventure Ip’ is way down the list of new projects to greenlight compared to new ideas like ARMs and Ring Fit. Which is why I think Astral Chain exists- to find something new (the chain mechanic itself) in a packed genre by outsourcing to a trusted partner.

Of course new ideas are great. I hope we’ll see a pile of stuff we aren’t expecting on Switch 2 as well. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo’s own new IP aren’t in the same genre as Mario and Zelda etc at this point.

There is no point in arguing about whether an IP is new.
The differences in Mario IP games are much greater than those in many games with different IPs.
At the same time, there are many games on the market, such as Starfield and Elden Ring, which are new IPs but not much different from the previous ones.

On the subject of ARMS, I've been wondering if an ARMS 2D would work. That's literally how the sequel would be called, ARMS 2D. Min Min in Smash is the proof of concept.

There is no point in arguing about whether an IP is new.
The differences in Mario IP games are much greater than those in many games with different IPs.
At the same time, there are many games on the market, such as Starfield and Elden Ring, which are new IPs but not much different from the previous ones.
I mean, even Mario can't get away from the basic gameplay of platform jumping, compared to Zelda which has a more freeform framework but is still based on free-adventure gameplay for now, and the audience that the ip has built up over time must have a limit to how receptive they can be to new things, so opening up a whole new ip can create more novel content.

Mmmmm, action-adventure can encompass a lot, but I will say yes. Most of their franchises will soon be getting a new entry so there is room for a group to make something.

Maybe its something like a FDC (I expect a new one) or a top down game (not Zelda). Who knows.

I'd say the odds of seeing that specific new IP from EPD internally are slim. Firstly, EPD already make a large scale action adventure game in the shape of the Legend of Zelda, which is a big resource commitment, hugely popular in its open world format, and still pretty damn popular in the 2D style judging by Link's Awakening.

Secondly, for single player games that could broadly fall under the category 'action adventure', you also have external productions like Metroid and Astral Chain targeting the single player market. The latter isn't an established franchise, but with Nintendo having bought the IP and Kaori Ando busy on some sort of game somewhere, I'm expecting we see a sequel. Edit - I should also add Luigi's Mansion to this list, given it's such a popular first party title now and an action-adventure game.

Finally, I'd guess we do see a new first party action adventure IP on Switch 2, but that it's developed by Monolith Soft's second production group rather than EPD.

I'd say the odds of seeing that specific new IP from EPD internally are slim. Firstly, EPD already make a large scale action adventure game in the shape of the Legend of Zelda, which is a big resource commitment, hugely popular in its open world format, and still pretty damn popular in the 2D style judging by Link's Awakening.

Secondly, for single player games that could broadly fall under the category 'action adventure', you also have external productions like Metroid and Astral Chain targeting the single player market. The latter isn't an established franchise, but with Nintendo having bought the IP and Kaori Ando busy on some sort of game somewhere, I'm expecting we see a sequel. Edit - I should also add Luigi's Mansion to this list, given it's such a popular first party title now and an action-adventure game.

Finally, I'd guess we do see a new first party action adventure IP on Switch 2, but that it's developed by Monolith Soft's second production group rather than EPD.
lol, I'm not sure, Monolith this new ip says it's a "new action IP", will they make it an RPG again instead of an action adventure.

lol, I'm not sure, Monolith this new ip says it's a "new action IP", will they make it an RPG again instead of an action adventure.
Given the development expertise at that production group sure, it could be an action RPG rather than action adventure. But given that group also has experience with Zelda, it might be more along the lines of action adventure.

When it comes to creating new IPs video game companies logically try to create new IPs in genres where they feel they have barebone portfolio of their own at current times, Xenoblade for example filled the JRPG genre need for Nintendo because they lacked a compelling franchise in that genre of their own previously. Nintendo already have big action adventure franchise of their own though in Zelda being the most prominent example. So that genre may not be as important for Nintendo to expand with new IPs.

When it comes to creating new IPs video game companies logically try to create new IPs in genres where they feel they have barebone portfolio of their own at current times, Xenoblade for example filled the JRPG genre need for Nintendo because they lacked a compelling franchise in that genre of their own previously. Nintendo already have big action adventure franchise of their own though in Zelda being the most prominent example. So that genre may not be as important for Nintendo to expand with new IPs.
If you're right, then I hope Nintendo immediately forms a small team dedicated to developing a puzzle IP LMAO.

If you're right, then I hope Nintendo immediately forms a small team dedicated to developing a puzzle IP LMAO.
A new puzzle game I.P from Nintendo would be great. The Switch has been getting some of the classics, but in terms of new stuff, it feels like a step down from the previous generation, where we got BoxBoy and Pushmo.

A new puzzle game I.P from Nintendo would be great. The Switch has been getting some of the classics, but in terms of new stuff, it feels like a step down from the previous generation, where we got BoxBoy and Pushmo.
Yes, I'm a big fan of puzzle games, and the early Legend of Zelda partially satisfied my need for logical puzzles, now it doesn't, so I'm hoping they'll have an IP for a game that's purely about puzzles.

I mean, even Mario can't get away from the basic gameplay of platform jumping, compared to Zelda which has a more freeform framework but is still based on free-adventure gameplay for now, and the audience that the ip has built up over time must have a limit to how receptive they can be to new things, so opening up a whole new ip can create more novel content.
Incorrect.
Use the jumping mechanism as a way to determine whether the game is unique. The similarity of most AAA games far exceeds that of Mario.
And there is no reason to say that the audience acceptance of the old IP is worse than that of the new IP.
What you said is purely personal imagination. Just like how Nintendo wouldn't announce the new console before Black Friday because it would affect Switch sales, and new game consoles must be announced before Black Friday

I did quite like Pushmo. I’m also really looking forward to Layton- those were such a big part of the DS and early 3DS years to me that I’m really looking forward to seeing it return next year.

My favourite puzzler at the moment is Howl, which, while it bills itself as a fairytale strategy game, feels much closer to a puzzle game to me. In that to hit a certain number of moves to finish a map quickly, it requires a lot of planning moves ahead and understanding the strict rules the enemy move under.

But then there’s also loadout choices, which perhaps puts it closer to something like Into the Breach or Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes. All of which straddle the puzzle/strategy line by linking the stages into a campaign 🤔

I did quite like Pushmo. I’m also really looking forward to Layton- those were such a big part of the DS and early 3DS years to me that I’m really looking forward to seeing it return next year.

My favourite puzzler at the moment is Howl, which, while it bills itself as a fairytale strategy game, feels much closer to a puzzle game to me. In that to hit a certain number of moves to finish a map quickly, it requires a lot of planning moves ahead and understanding the strict rules the enemy move under.
My favorite puzzle games are The witness and Patrick's Parabox, the latter even inspired me to design puzzles, I haven't officially played Animal Well yet but it looks like it's going to be a puzzle game I'll really enjoy as well.

My favorite puzzle games are The witness and Patrick's Parabox, the latter even inspired me to design puzzles, I haven't officially played Animal Well yet but it looks like it's going to be a puzzle game I'll really enjoy as well.
Yeah I think Animal Well is a lovely take on something like La Mulana, of a labyrinth full of puzzles that you slowly unpack with new realisation, tools and context. We see it a lot less than ‘fly though and kill everything on the way’, probably due to a perception of less widespread appeal. But I think it’s kinda worked the opposite way for Animal Well- in that it’s so well made and so unusual that it’s helped it stand out from a crowded sea of metroidvania titles leaning more into combat. The indie ‘scene’ is at this point far more hotly contested (in terms of mindshare and number of products that release then disappear from discussion) than the boxed game market is.

Incorrect.
Use the jumping mechanism as a way to determine whether the game is unique. The similarity of most AAA games far exceeds that of Mario.
And there is no reason to say that the audience acceptance of the old IP is worse than that of the new IP.
What you said is purely personal imagination. Just like how Nintendo wouldn't announce the new console before Black Friday because it would affect Switch sales, and new game consoles must be announced before Black Friday
If you don't think old players have a low tolerance for accepting new structures, you can immediately go look at how many old Legend of Zelda players were turned off by BOTW and TOTK

Yeah I think Animal Well is a lovely take on something like La Mulana, of a labyrinth full of puzzles that you slowly unpack with new realisation, tools and context. We see it a lot less than ‘fly though and kill everything on the way’.
Animal Well's approach to puzzle design is somewhat similar to the old Legend of Zelda, except that while the old Legend of Zelda was still locked in a fixed maze to get props and then solve the puzzles, Animal Well is using a Metroid-like approach to map design, and that's something I'll probably like a lot, and I'd like to see Nintendo make a similar puzzle game. It may be my bias, but I think it's always the puzzle game that sits at the peak of game design and not the other way around.

Animal Well's idea of puzzle design is somewhat similar to the old Legend of Zelda, except that the old Legend of Zelda was still locked in a fixed maze to get props and then solve puzzles, Animal Well is using a Metroid-like idea of map design, and that's something I'll probably like very much, and I wish Nintendo would make similar puzzle games, and this may be my bias, but I think it's always going to be a few puzzles that climb to the top of the game design ladder.
Did you try Tunic? I haven’t yet but all my friends keep saying it’s exactly my kinda thing

Yeah, after that, it increased by approximately 2000W.
Twenty million are mostly new generation players, are there four million old Zelda players at best? Let's just look at skyward sword sales. And it's well known that there are both older players who really like BOTW and TOTK, and a significant number of older players who really dislike them.

Back
Top Bottom