• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club What’s the most pretentious first-party Nintendo game?

Honestly probably Majora's Mask? Like while I love the game, the doomed suffering of the world just kind of insists upon itself and while it is definitely effective, it still does come off kind of as like one of those fanfictions of 14 year olds taking their favourite kids show and making everything dark and tragic and edgy. If you count everything Nintendo's published though, maybe Yokai Watch 2? That game just keeps trying to get me to take it seriously and it does not work

I don't actually hate the guy. I'm just bitter that Silent Hills never manifested! ...Which wasn't actually his fault, but y'know. Death Stranding as consolation didn't really seem up my alley. If Kojima makes a straight-up horror game (which it seems is exactly what's finally happening?), I'll probably be there.
I feel you! I was definitely looking forward to Silent Hills. Yeah, hopefully that new horror project he's got going on will turn out well. Hunter Schafer, Jerry!

...if you haven't given Death Stranding a shot yet though, it is prettayyy, prettay good

First one that popped into my head is Breath of the Wild.

I wouldn’t call Other M pretentious at all, it’s just film noir. Super Paper Mario is a good pick but it’s awesome because it happens in what is ostensibly a Mario game for the Wii audience.

Edit: Got it! Brain Age. The guy on the box even has glasses.

Honestly probably Majora's Mask? Like while I love the game, the doomed suffering of the world just kind of insists upon itself and while it is definitely effective, it still does come off kind of as like one of those fanfictions of 14 year olds taking their favourite kids show and making everything dark and tragic and edgy. If you count everything Nintendo's published though, maybe Yokai Watch 2? That game just keeps trying to get me to take it seriously and it does not work
I almost wrote Yokai Watch as a joke lol
Could you explain how you think it's pretentious, I feel like the word doesn't apply at all to the series but maybe I'm misunderstanding a nuance of it. Yokai Watch is pretty openly silly, even if they want you to take some of the story seriously. That part comes mostly from being written for pretty young children I feel

I almost wrote Yokai Watch as a joke lol
Could you explain how you think it's pretentious, I feel like the word doesn't apply at all to the series but maybe I'm misunderstanding a nuance of it. Yokai Watch is pretty openly silly, even if they want you to take some of the story seriously. That part comes mostly from being written for pretty young children I feel
I don't know it's just parts of Yo-Kai Watch 2 specifically, like the disconnect between it being so silly and the more serious or emotional moments like in the connections the player character forms with their grandfather and the backstories for several yokais and the whole plot thread about having your memories about the first game being erased but also knowing that you've forgotten something. It's not necessarily pretentious but it certainly feels like fake importance

@Aurc

Ejf151I.gif

Was this one of the works on display at the museum you went to?
R.I.P. PT, we miss it.

I like the post-apocalyptic Amazon simulator, though.
I got my PS4 too late, so I never got to play P.T.

gif.gif

I feel you! I was definitely looking forward to Silent Hills. Yeah, hopefully that new horror project he's got going on will turn out well. Hunter Schafer, Jerry!

...if you haven't given Death Stranding a shot yet though, it is prettayyy, prettay good
I don't know that the delivery-based gameplay would be for me. My first foray into the strand genre might be scary. I might give it a shot someday, though. Who knows!

I don't know it's just parts of Yo-Kai Watch 2 specifically, like the disconnect between it being so silly and the more serious or emotional moments like in the connections the player character forms with their grandfather and the backstories for several yokais and the whole plot thread about having your memories about the first game being erased but also knowing that you've forgotten something. It's not necessarily pretentious but it certainly feels like fake importance
Ok I think I can get that.

Kojima really is a unique case in being undoubtedly 100% pretentious and, to me, often very annoying... but also one of the greats of gaming in many ways who actually does have creative ideas that justify his success

Kojima is at his worst when executives are forcing him to do things he doesn’t want to do to drive sales, like with MGS2. If he is allowed to stick to his creative vision like in MGS and MGS3 things tend to be fine.

Kojima is at his worst when executives are forcing him to do things he doesn’t want to do to drive sales, like with MGS2. If he is allowed to stick to his creative vision like in MGS and MGS3 things tend to be fine.
yeah but about that end of the last state of play where he went it's coming in 80 years, it's a game BUT also a movie, pan out show a movie set boom

what the fuck was that

you didnt critique any specific piece of art but you did put scare quotes around "best" works of art, which carries a lot of implications.

also you say this

but immediately before that you say this

which means you obviously do believe in some kind of metric for measuring the cultural importance or impact of art, you just think you know best lol. perhaps the pretentions were the friends we made along the way
No, I’m saying that the way in which museums—or society and history in general, perhaps, as in how certain art and artists become famous over others—get to choose which works to feature over others can be arbitrary and/or unfair in practice, and that there’s a lot more art in the world that you could argue should be celebrated just as much if not more so, but select art and artists are instead put on a pedestal high above the rest in a rather pretentious manner. Also, in that last sentence you quoted from me, note that I specifically said “whose works could be regarded to be of similar (if not better!) quality”—I’m not talking about what I believe, personally, here. I’m no art critic or historian, but I don’t need to be one to know that fine art museums aren’t exactly the most fair and balanced collections of artistic human achievement, and that there is undoubtably a great deal of bias involved in determining which art and artists become famous and which are ignored.

Anyway, my point was just that art museums can be pretty pretentious—which, again, isn’t exactly a wild or uncommon sentiment at all. And, again, I’m not talking about all parts of all museums—but this is the internet where everything must be read in extremes, I guess.

People here are really saying that paintings and wearing colorful outfits are pretentious...?

Anyway, it's definitely Other M. You can really see that Sakamoto put his heart and soul into it... only for it to turn out to be a bunch of weird and misogynistic garbage. Yeah yeah, bottle ship, baby, we get it! You think women are meant to be Moms! Ugh

Anyway when it comes to Kojima, I didn't like the story in Death Stranding. I did like stealing stuff to build roads though. Gotta deliver the mail...

Find it difficult to classify most games that Nintendo has worked on as pretentious when their stuff usually ranges from silly fun to melodramatic earnestness aimed at children or teens. Even Xenoblade with all of its religious and philosophical references mostly uses those as flavour to give the worldbuilding some texture so it's a more interesting backdrop for the big shonen fights.

I guess maybe Other M comes closest? It feels like it was supposed to be some great exploration of Samus' character when it's more like character assassination.

This isn't about pretension, but what is up with Yo-Kai Watch anyway? I always felt the contrast between the stated subject matter of youkai and the reality of the games seeming to aim for a very young audience was really strange. It's like an ultra sanitized version of that weird 80's phenomenon where movies that were very much not for kids got cartoons and toys and stuff. From what I've seen I think they mostly just invented their own monsters instead of even trying to use real youkai as a basis, too.

plummeting literacy rates on the family boards
I was among those who Yeah!'d the post, despite knowing it was in direct conflict with the question posed in the OP. I just pushed upboat button anyway, 'cuz this thread is tagged Fun Club, and I thought the casual bants nature of the post went hand in hand with this thread being unserious

First one that popped into my head is Breath of the Wild.

I wouldn’t call Other M pretentious at all, it’s just film noir. Super Paper Mario is a good pick but it’s awesome because it happens in what is ostensibly a Mario game for the Wii audience.

Edit: Got it! Brain Age. The guy on the box even has glasses.
BioShock was mentioned earlier in the thread, so I'm curious to know where on the scale of pretentiousness you'd place Kevin Levin's games. The pioneer of "narrative Legos" surely ranks pretty high up there.

BioShock was mentioned earlier in the thread, so I'm curious to know where on the scale of pretentiousness you'd place Kevin Levin's games. The pioneer of "narrative Legos" surely ranks pretty high up there.
Kevin Levin is the Doug Walker of video games. His stuff is actually not pretentious at all because it’s actually a clever parody of pretentious things that subverts your expectations through the art of narrative legos.

Kevin Levin is the Doug Walker of video games. His stuff is actually not pretentious at all because it’s actually a clever parody of pretentious things that subverts your expectations through the art of narrative legos.
I think we need to follow No Nostalgia Critic November up with No Kevin Levin Decembin' this year.
This is your masterpiece.
Easily among the Brock posts of all time

Am I gonna get dogpiled if I say Xenoblade? I don't hate those games or anything, but they do sorta give off this energy of thinking they're more than they really are, y'know?

Or maybe Sin&Punishment? That's one that I sorta felt got narratively up its own ass a bit in a "oh you think you're Evangelion, don't you?" kind of way

fake edit: Wait, I can't remember, did Nintendo publish Twin Snakes? Because if so, that's definitely the real answer
blade is actually quite tame compared to takahashi’s previous works; gears and saga lol

This isn't about pretension, but what is up with Yo-Kai Watch anyway? I always felt the contrast between the stated subject matter of youkai and the reality of the games seeming to aim for a very young audience was really strange. It's like an ultra sanitized version of that weird 80's phenomenon where movies that were very much not for kids got cartoons and toys and stuff. From what I've seen I think they mostly just invented their own monsters instead of even trying to use real youkai as a basis, too.
It's mostly a fun silly monster-catching game with signature Level-5 charm and game design. The contrast is part of the fun! Youkai are demons/monsters, Yo-Kai possess people and make them do stuff they normally wouldn't (overeat, argue a lot, stuff like that). It's just monsters, but silly and cute, hardly a new concept but it works well in my opinion.

Also like 70 different Jibanyans.

I'm gonna go with PM: Sticker Star for behind the scenes reasons, they seemed to be pretty happy with the sticker system while the actual experience was really bad.

idk about anyone else, but i certainly wasn't expecting to come into this fun club thread to witness a debate about whether art museums are pretentious or not.

they aren't.

anyhow, i would say twilight princess fits the bill a bit. i do almost wish nintendo would try to do something seriously well, serious/"pretentious" and pull it off well. i think they have at times and in some parts of games, but hardly ever completely.

though, i guess that's what we have SE for.

This post makes me wonder if you're some kind of mirror universe version of myself 😭 I couldn't disagree more!
Not necessarily the worst thing in the world. I just felt the quirky stuff in it doesn't come from a very sincere or inspired place. Just felt there to differentiate itself from the rest of the series but I didn't find that interesting personally.

I did enjoy my play through of the remake though even if I didn't care for the Gameboy version.

As far as another game goes, even if it goes a little outside Nintendo created would be everything original in Super Mario RPG. I just imagine Nintendo laughing behind Square's back at what Square thinks fits into the Mario universe. Awful character designs.

Miyamoto: Considering that, I think we’ve made an extremely enjoyable tool to introduce people to music. That’s why, to exaggerate somewhat, you could say that Wii Music is a new instrument that sweeps aside the whole idea of musical instruments heretofore. Within 15 minutes, you’ll be playing all kinds of instruments.

Iwata: In other words, it allows players to experience a wide variety of emotions infinitely close to the joy known to people all over the world who play musical instruments, but at the expense of much less effort.

---

Miyamoto: Let’s see... To put it a way that makes me sound good, it gives me hope that I will have made a contribution to the future of music, and that makes me happy. It may sound presumptuous to say I can have that kind of influence on music, but the game may have an influence on new musical instruments yet to be created, and from now on there may be musicians who say Wii Music was what first got them into music. I have a feeling that will be true.

Iwata: And people who have given up on music and musical instruments will come to know the joy of music through playing Wii Music.

Pr2PsM.gif

I liked it more than most people, but the correct answer for most pretentious Nintendo game is Wii Music.

It occurs to me reading this thread and thinking about what “pretentious” means that I don’t actually mind or am bothered by most things that are often considered pretentious. I guess it does bother me when something is very obviously fake and eye-roll-y but in general that’s pretty rare. I appreciate things that really “go for it” (even if not quite successful) and I’ve always liked stories and things having a sense of importance and serious sincerity, trying to give things gravitas, and a certain ceremony and pomp. I think I just get a little annoyed at hurling out “pretentious” at things that I often don’t think fit or it isn’t really a bad thing to me.

Miyamoto: Considering that, I think we’ve made an extremely enjoyable tool to introduce people to music. That’s why, to exaggerate somewhat, you could say that Wii Music is a new instrument that sweeps aside the whole idea of musical instruments heretofore. Within 15 minutes, you’ll be playing all kinds of instruments.

Iwata: In other words, it allows players to experience a wide variety of emotions infinitely close to the joy known to people all over the world who play musical instruments, but at the expense of much less effort.

---

Miyamoto: Let’s see... To put it a way that makes me sound good, it gives me hope that I will have made a contribution to the future of music, and that makes me happy. It may sound presumptuous to say I can have that kind of influence on music, but the game may have an influence on new musical instruments yet to be created, and from now on there may be musicians who say Wii Music was what first got them into music. I have a feeling that will be true.

Iwata: And people who have given up on music and musical instruments will come to know the joy of music through playing Wii Music.

Pr2PsM.gif

I liked it more than most people, but the correct answer for most pretentious Nintendo game is Wii Music.
I was thinking about Wii Music too. But I think applying the Miyamoto and Iwata quotes isn't fair in this case. They're the ones being kinda pretentious about the game here. Even if they're being sincere. Taking the game on its own certainly reduces whatever pretentiousness it may possess.

But I do like the game both ironically and unironically at the same time. It doesn't really take itself that seriously I think and you kinda have to make your own fun with it. It's a weird and unique game that is a vast variety of mixed results happening all at once.

It's a pretty silly game. Whatever pretentiousness it has may only add to the charm I guess. If anything it should be more pretentious. Make it funnier.

Last edited:
Not necessarily the worst thing in the world. I just felt the quirky stuff in it doesn't come from a very sincere or inspired place. Just felt there to differentiate itself from the rest of the series but I didn't find that interesting personally.

I did enjoy my play through of the remake though even if I didn't care for the Gameboy version.

As far as another game goes, even if it goes a little outside Nintendo created would be everything original in Super Mario RPG. I just imagine Nintendo laughing behind Square's back at what Square thinks fits into the Mario universe. Awful character designs.

No way! I just can't see it at all. All my silly friends in Link's Awakening are great! It's super cute and charming, on Game Boy and Switch... It's like the equivalent of Mario Land: a new and fresh take on a console series that ended up among the greats of the franchise (and in the case of LA, by far the best of it).

And Mario RPG too?? I love those funny little creatures! They're adorable, especially the original 90s renders. They look so goofy!

There's no question about it. We're complete opposites!

It occurs to me reading this thread and thinking about what “pretentious” means that I don’t actually mind or am bothered by most things that are often considered pretentious. I guess it does bother me when something is very obviously fake and eye-roll-y but in general that’s pretty rare. I appreciate things that really “go for it” (even if not quite successful) and I’ve always liked stories and things having a sense of importance and serious sincerity, trying to give things gravitas, and a certain ceremony and pomp. I think I just get a little annoyed at hurling out “pretentious” at things that I often don’t think fit or it isn’t really a bad thing to me.
This thread reminded me back in the day of how Gamespot, in their annual GOTY awards, gave out "Most Pretentious Game Title" a grand total of twice, which just happened to be the years Xenosaga games released. It was pretty evident that "award" only existed to shit on those games on the most surface level.

I was among those who Yeah!'d the post, despite knowing it was in direct conflict with the question posed in the OP. I just pushed upboat button anyway, 'cuz this thread is tagged Fun Club, and I thought the casual bants nature of the post went hand in hand with this thread being unserious
I think assuming a jab at Kojima (who is largely associated with PlayStation) on this forum is "casual bants" and "unserious" is extremely generous

Back
Top Bottom