• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Shin Megami Tensei V (original) and its DLC to be delisted from eshop June 13th

SirArthur

Kremling
Pronouns
He/Him

Nintendo Switch "Shin Megami Tensei Ⅴ " (released on November 11, 2021) Notice of End of Sales of Download Version and Distribution Content ▼

https://www.atlus.co.jp/news/23981/

Regarding the download version of Nintendo Switch™ "Shin Megami Tensei V" released on November 11, 2021 ,
the main game and additional content (DLC) will be sold
at 23:59 on Thursday, June 13, 2024. We have decided to end it with this .

We would like to express our deepest gratitude to all our customers and
ask for their understanding.

This is a weird choice given that you can still purchase Persona 5 vanilla on PS4 in addition to Royal.

That is kind of odd, although since Vengeance is like... the exact same game, but with another new game also included plus all the original DLC, it's not like this is an issue really? Or was the original cheaper? If they're the same price then this makes a lot of sense.

So, like…I’m still halfway through SMTV. Is there any reason for me to even bother finishing that save file instead of just starting over on this new version (provided I buy the new game whenever it inevitably goes on sale at a steep discount a couple months later as Atlus games generally do)? It’s literally the same game…but with more stuff added, right?? Ugh…

So, like…I’m still halfway through SMTV. Is there any reason for me to even bother finishing that save file instead of just starting over on this new version (provided I buy the new game whenever it inevitably goes on sale at a steep discount a couple months later as Atlus games generally do)? It’s literally the same game…but with more stuff added, right?? Ugh…
Your vanilla save file will not transfer to Vengeance other than three demons of your choice.

Quoted by: Tye
Doesn't really surprise me. I bet a bunch of people would otherwise buy the base game and pitch a fit because they didn't get Vengeance. Same thing happened when Royal released.
Seems like they could mostly avoid that problem by allowing people an upgrade path.

Your vanilla save file will not transfer to Vengeance other than three demons of your choice.
I know, I’m asking if there’s any actual benefit to continuing to play through to the end of that version instead of just playing the new one and seeing the story that way. Like, is there anything actually exclusive to the experience of the original version now, or does the new version have literally everything that one has plus more, including new quality of life features?

I know, I’m asking if there’s any actual benefit to continuing to play through to the end of that version instead of just playing the new one and seeing the story that way. Like, is there anything actually exclusive to the experience of the original version now, or does the new version have literally everything that one has plus more, including new quality of life features?
I don't know that we know 100% for sure, but it certainly seems like Vengeance has everything plus more and there's no reason at all to play the original anymore other than to transfer those demons if you want to.

If the Persona games are anything to go off of…you should probably cut your losses and ditch if you want the full experience.

I bought physical around release and just never got around to playing the game or even opening it

My steelbook will just stay sealed.

Seems like they could mostly avoid that problem by allowing people an upgrade path.
The only devs I know who make expansion packs free are the ones making GAAS games. New SMT V owners would end up paying twice for the same game, which only increases the number of people who are mad at Atlus over this. Delisting and uploading the new game is the better solution for them, while everyone who's already mad should stop buying Atlus games at launch and wait for the upgraded rereleases.

The only devs I know who make expansion packs free are the ones making GAAS games. New SMT V owners would end up paying twice for the same game, which only increases the number of people who are mad at Atlus over this. Delisting and uploading the new game is the better solution for them, while everyone who's already mad should stop buying Atlus games at launch and wait for the upgraded rereleases.

Hopefully with the add on to 3 Remake being DLC Atlus will hopefully be doing less of the rerelease the same guy with some small changes in the future and screw over day one fans.

I'm not saying free, but there are a number of games on the eShop that give you a discount if you own something else from the publisher, or something else from the same series. Make SMTV normal $40 for anyone interested in it for historical purposes, but go to the SMTV Vengeance page and if you already own SMTV normal you get it at a discount price. Buuuut then they wouldn't be able to get as many double dip bucks from series diehards.

Frowns at the physical copy of SMT V in my backlog.
Maybe I should just play that as my next game.

I wouldn't worry about that, although Vengeance does include the base route, the changes made in Vengeance does somewhat changes the base route experience making the vanilla game more unique.

Oh no! Anyways,
Doesn't really surprise me. I bet a bunch of people would otherwise buy the base game and pitch a fit because they didn't get Vengeance. Same thing happened when Royal released.
They didn't do that when Royal release, infact vanilla P5 came free with PS5s along with a bunch of other games for a while

Delisting all of the DLC sucks as someone who hasn’t really gotten around to the game yet. No idea if I’d want any of it, but sucks they just made the game worse / potentially incomplete for original SMTV owners.

Delisting all of the DLC sucks as someone who hasn’t really gotten around to the game yet. No idea if I’d want any of it, but sucks they just made the game worse / potentially incomplete for original SMTV owners.
Ooh okay, I hadn't considered that. That definitely sucks if you already own the base game but don't yet know if you'd want the DLC or not, and soon it just won't be an option at all.

realistically buying the og at this point would just be unwittingly getting the worse game

the real reasoning's obvious for them, but it's a net-positive i'd say.

I think I'd prefer a disclaimer and the game + DLC kept up for historical purposes but I otherwise can't be too bothered about this. I never got the DLC for the original but I think it's included in Vengeance so I'll just play it there.

Oh thanks Atlus for retroactively making my physical edition somewhat of a collectors item.

It's totally stupid you're doing this, but ... thanks i guess?

What's most curious to me is whether this effects the European SKU as well, as that was Nintendo-published rather than SEGA's. It'd be surprising to see them acquiesce to that, though I guess it would also be a drop in the bucket all things considered for Nintendo!

Edit: also yeah, this is a thing that should not be happening really.

Last edited:
This is actually not good because the original will be the more hardcore experience.

With all the QoL introduced by Vengeance, like giving demons unique abilities, new magatsuhi skills, being able to save anywhere, fast travel even when not on a leyline fount, magatsuhi rails, map being unlocked without having to beat abscesses, etc. Vengeance Creation route might end up being too easy. Vengeance route will obviously be balanced with all of this in mind but I doubt it for Creation route.

So the original listing comes down on June 13. If anyone has the original copy, and hasn’t played it yet, might be worth starting it up and having a look at the DLC before then. Or selling it on if it’s a physical copy.

I don’t know. I’m not too bothered really, the DLC seemed very minor to me when I played it on release, I don’t think I bought any of it. I usually avoid micro transactions for in-game items or whatever, there’s not really any content worth worrying about there. Reckon I’ll sell my original copy on, I can probably get most of its value back before buying Vengeance for the new campaign.

As for definitive copies of games, it’s not like it’s a new thing- I used to always say I’d avoid buying Bestheda games until I could get all the DLC included but then cracked and played the original anyway. I don’t really mind with long rpgs, if I’ve had something shrink wrapped on my shelf for years I struggle to mind too much if a new compilation or expanded edition or whatever comes out, it’s just part of having an rpg backlog. I’ve seen remastered or ‘complete’ versions of games come out all the time before I’ve got around to playing the original.

Last edited:
This is actually not good because the original will be the more hardcore experience.

With all the QoL introduced by Vengeance, like giving demons unique abilities, new magatsuhi skills, being able to save anywhere, fast travel even when not on a leyline fount, magatsuhi rails, map being unlocked without having to beat abscesses, etc. Vengeance Creation route might end up being too easy. Vengeance route will obviously be balanced with all of this in mind but I doubt it for Creation route.

im sure they'll just introduce a new difficulty level for us masochists lol

This is not like P5 where the new content plays after the og content. The new content here is an alternative new story, meant to be played separately. Vengeance includes both stories, the og and the new path. From the information we have so far, after the branching point, they are completely different stories. So if you want to experience both, you would have to play both.

If you drop the og SMTV noe, you would have to start over the og path on Vengeance if you wanted to experience it, since the save doesn't carry over.

I would recommend finishing SMTV so you don't lose your progress, and then when you get Vengeance you will only have to play the new path. Unless you're only interested in playing the new path, but be aware you won't experience the og SMTV story in it.

Last edited:
This is fine, Vengeance will include everything from the base game + more, so there's no reason why anyone would buy the og version over this. Well, the price right now would be the only reason, but Vengeance will surely get similar discounts down the line, so Atlus would be basically selling an incomplete version of the same game for the same price, which wouldn't be very considerate.

Last edited:
So, let me buy only the Vengeance part.

I do not like to wait for "sales" to buy a game, but I will not buy in day 1 a game that I already had bought.

It's weird to me that they're going as far as delisting the vanilla version, but I suppose they think it might eat Vengeance's sales. No issues with me, I'll just keep my copy of original STMV, and Vengeance will be something I consider if I ever feel like replaying.

It's weird to me that they're going as far as delisting the vanilla version, but I suppose they think it might eat Vengeance's sales. No issues with me, I'll just keep my copy of original STMV, and Vengeance will be something I consider if I ever feel like replaying.

Physical edition becoming a collectors item. Imagine the actual Collectors Edition from back then becoming even more valuable. ;D

Oh fuck off SegAtlus. I get delisting the OG game but the DLC absolutely sucks for anyone who’s got the game in their backlog or have been waiting on a fair price point.

The fact this thread title had to clarify (original) is pretty telling heh.

Delisting DLC is kinda lame but it’s one of those things where they’ve given a heads up, if people want it they have a month to pick it up. Otherwise I think we’ll all be fine.

That is kind of odd, although since Vengeance is like... the exact same game, but with another new game also included plus all the original DLC, it's not like this is an issue really? Or was the original cheaper? If they're the same price then this makes a lot of sense.
The original has gone on sale. Presumably the new game will not go on sale for some time.

I can see people just wanting to buy the original, which (in theory) would be cheaper at times, than the new version for $60.

Sometimes less is more, also. Some people just want the core game, not all of the extras.

Quoted by: Leo
The original has gone on sale. Presumably the new game will not go on sale for some time.

I can see people just wanting to buy the original, which (in theory) would be cheaper at times, than the new version for $60.

Sometimes less is more, also. Some people just want the core game, not all of the extras.

The game is on sale frequently, anyone who seriously wanted to buy it already did at this point. If someone waited until now to buy SMTV, I don't see why they can't 1- buy it before June 13th or 2- wait until Vengeance gets the same discounts.

Considering both games would be at the same price eventually, less is more doesnt really make any sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom