• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Predicting the next 3D Mario

A post apocalyptic setting never seem to fit Mario's whimsical tone anyway. I can't remember a single time that has been done in the Mario franchise, across literally all forms of media. The closest thing that comes to mind is the Ruined Kingdom in Odyssey, and that's still not it.
There was that one time in adventure mode in smash bros brawl.

A post apocalyptic setting never seem to fit Mario's whimsical tone anyway. I can't remember a single time that has been done in the Mario franchise, across literally all forms of media. The closest thing that comes to mind is the Ruined Kingdom in Odyssey, and that's still not it.
Ehh, Kirby made it work. Mario could too.

I like the idea of this a lot more than I thought I would (as someone who is, in fact, tired of "Multiverse" stuff).

I think it would be really cute if it was a "spiritual successor" to Captain Rainbow, in a way. Or something like an Epic Mickey for Nintendo stuff, to use another example. Something that focuses almost entirely on forgotten Nintendo franchises and characters. Mario goes to various worlds (Mole Mania, Panel de Pon, Gumshoe, Yuyuki, Odama, Clu Clu Land, Custom Robo, etc.) to help them out.

Now, maybe that wouldn't fly for the next big 3D Mario... I'd buy it, though.

Lol I'd love it if they do the more obscure games, especially if Drill Dozer is included!

Full open world map + flying to galaxies is what my fan fiction for a new 3D Mario has been for a decade now. I hope we get something like this.

What I believe will happen:
  • full open world, but will be implemented in a way that we don't expect (so no Bowser's Fury but bigger nor BotW rip off);
  • Mario redesign: will be a soft redesign, like we already saw with in-game Mario in Wonder. Idk what front they'll change, I don't think they go with it identical to the movie, but some what of a blend of Movie + Wonder + Odyssey. "Realistic" mustache(they already started with Odyssey) and hair, maybe fully cartoon but with realistic skin texture like Final Fantasy VII(it's not cartoon but you got it). Maybe they go for cel shading? Idk;
  • Movie will have an influence on it but it won't be an adaptation nor rip off in any means;
  • probably will have a theme just like Galaxy had;
  • Voice Acting, cutscenes and story will play a bigger part on the game than it did in past entries;
  • Co-op: Mario and Peach, probably, with Rosalina and Luigi or Pauline being unlockable;
  • some online feature or mode;
  • real time time skips or multiple dimensions or some stuff that's really taxing on the hardware;
  • will really look like a generation above anything the Switch has;
  • 97 on metacritic.

Full open world map + flying to galaxies is what my fan fiction for a new 3D Mario has been for a decade now. I hope we get something like this.
I think open world is an inevitable. I think that since we had the sky in zelda would pretty much work like having super mario galaxy connected to the ground.

The next Mario being even bigger sand boxes to even a full open world definitely feels like the way things are headed. I absolutely love the idea as long as there is plenty to interact with along the way and lots of "Secret Of" stages as classic obstacle courses.

Though with such big environments I wonder how long distance traversal could be implemented. With Zelda we had Revali's Gale, Tulin's gust, Ascend, horses, etc. There are lots of things to move large distances horizontally or vertically. With Mario I imagine a large assortment of Yoshi's with various abilities depending on their color. Orange Yoshi's that run super fast like the Chili Pepper power up. Blue Yoshi's with those big wings! The wings like the Super Dragon in Smash or the Koopa Troopas in Yoshi's Island. Yoshi's with super long tongue's that can tether and swing with momentum.

By whatever means I just want to be able to zip around the environments with cool abilities that FEEL good.

Back
Top Bottom