• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Predicting the next 3D Mario

omniryu

Like Like
Pronouns
He/him
I am just going by what we know and see where we can go from there. So here is what we know:
  • Mario and Zelda usually trades idea with one another
  • Zelda Tears of the Kingdom had one world the sky and land are in one level, unlike, skyward sword.
  • With the new hardware, we will have fast loading.
  • Bowser Fury seems to be a open world teaser for a 3D open world.
  • Mario Odyssey has the best control for any 3D Mario
  • The development team sees the Mario movie as sort of a rival in the visual department.
My prediction:
I think they will take influence from Zelda tears of the kingdom and add vertical space with a seamless or one world. So not only would it be wide horizontally but vertically as well. I think in place of vertical they will bring back the galaxy theme. So we could shoot from planet to planet.

I think they won't neglect the horizontal. In fact, I think they will make a globe. We cam travel the planet. It won't be as big as the map in Odyssey but big enough where can go to different lands and feel satisfied.

I think this will be the hardest 3D Mario. With Mario odyssey giving us tight control, I can see they will use those control to give us some of the most difficult levels.

The fast loading, I wonder if this will be the game where we crossover to different Nintendo IPs. Where we can go to a wormhole and see hyrule or donkey Kong country. It would be nice. This one I am not too sure about.

TLDR:
Think of super mario 64 and super mario world art showing a round globe and add different planets surrounding it.

I think the new game will involve Mario getting a new submarine or airplane (or both) like in Super Mario Land, but this time you use it to navigate to different level hubs which are deep under the sea or in the air. Basically Mario gets the call to do the plumbing in Rapture or Columbia (or both) after that ol Bowser and his goons mess everything up.

There will be a new friend who is a penguin.

I can see them going more open world, we already got a taste of that in Odyssey and Bowser's Fury.

However, I don't see how this is going to be the hardest 3D Mario. Tight platforming design just doesn't seem to mix with open world design. I personally hope for an open world hub world with linear levels as the ''shrines''. Or the levels in Sonic Frontiers but actually good lol.

I think this will be the hardest 3D Mario. With Mario odyssey giving us tight control, I can see they will use those control to give us some of the most difficult levels.

I don't know about that.
In the difficulty department i hope they will find the right balance and up the challenge a bit to 100% the game. Not 3D, but i was a bit disappoined in Mario Wonder and its overall difficulty. With the badges i thought they had a good idea to use them to have a game that is a bit more difficult overall, so a player could use some help with them to overcome the challenge.

But it does not seem to be their philosophy atm.

The moveset of Mario Odyssey was so cool but i made my own challenges, so that's cool, but i would not say no to some challenging (optional) content that requires to use the move set to its full potential.

I think I've mentioned this on some thread somewhere, but I have a conspiracy theory for 3D Mario that I always think about when musing on the future game...

During development of Super Mario Odyssey, it is pretty well known that Isle Delfino was present in promotional material and even (to some extent) present on the in-game map. Now, we don't know that Isle Delfino was ever a place that was considered to be visited in the game, but it may have been considered at some point for a post-game world (in a similar vein to the Super Mario 64 inspired Mushroom Kingdom).

I personally think Isle Delfino was scrapped, but they had at least gotten far enough in this concept to consider what an Isle Delfino world would look like. If it were just Delfino Plaza, I think they might have felt like it would be weird to be able to see the other levels on the island but not visit them. So perhaps they had considered a version of the island that was completely open. But this was ultimately considered too much work and led to references to Isle Delfino being removed, as they did not want to pursue this concept.

I think this musing (coupled with the success of BotW at the time), eventually caused them to consider an open-world Mario, and led to the Bowser's Fury experience as a kind of "tech-demo" for what could be done and what that kind of game could look like and how it would be received.

That being said, I think the next 3D Mario being a more open experience is a safe bet. As for what that looks like... it's hard to say. I do think an open world revisit to Isle Delfino and the surrounding islands (crab island, jellyfish island, etc.) that we see in the opening cutscene of that game could be compelling, but I think the ship of revisiting Sunshine has passed.

I think there is merit to something like an amusement park theme. Something that has the capacity to be large and open, but still contain themed sub-areas that can connect in interesting ways. They've done theming like this before for stuff like World Bowser in 3D World, and I think it was well received. I am not sure if that is enough to carry a whole game, though. Perhaps the new mechanic can be some kind of magic toolbox that Mario can use to interact with the environments and repair rides and other things.

Mario games have generally gotten easier, not harder over the years so I would be very surprised if this game is particularly difficult.

Not that I care. This is easily my most anticipated game and it hasn't been officially announced.

I predict a full open world similar to Bowser's Fury, but larger where each individual sectors connect seamlessly with each other.
Something like this, but way larger and with way more variety.

Nintendo-Model-Wide-crop-main-690x460.jpg

it'll be open world and become the best-selling Mario platformer and be critically acclaimed, but later fans will call it not a "Real Mario Game" and say it wouldn't have been as well received if it was called Bario instead of Mario

it'll be open world and become the best-selling Mario platformer and be critically acclaimed, but later fans will call it not a "Real Mario Game" and say it wouldn't have been as well received if it was called Bario instead of Mario
And then they will create a subreddit called r/truemario where they will bash the game and reminisce the good old days when Nintendo didn't ruin their favourite franchise.

Yes, this is a stab against that god awful truezelda subreddit.

I very much doubt that we know this
Hmm, maybe it was something I inferred. From. Whati remember they ramped up the animation in Super Mario Wonder because of the movie.
Ideally it'll be a sequel or spiritual successor to Super Mario 3D World, the best 3D Mario game.
Honestly, I think super mario 3D world will be the main attraction in Super Mario Maker 3. With that I mean in full 3D, not 2D like Super Mario Maker 2.

That being said, I think the next 3D Mario being a more open experience is a safe bet. As for what that looks like... it's hard to say. I do think an open world revisit to Isle Delfino and the surrounding islands (crab island, jellyfish island, etc.) that we see in the opening cutscene of that game could be compelling, but I think the ship of revisiting Sunshine has passed.
I do think we can revisit Delfino Island and the concept of seeing other areas from a total different area will come naturally.
In the difficulty department i hope they will find the right balance and up the challenge a bit to 100% the game. Not 3D, but i was a bit disappoined in Mario Wonder and its overall difficulty. With the badges i thought they had a good idea to use them to have a game that is a bit more difficult overall, so a player could use some help with them to overcome the challenge
I don't think the whole game will be difficult it just the areas for pro will be quite the challenge.

Even back in the Wii days, I always thought Mario should go open world. Or at least large seamless world - you can still have linear progression within it if desired. We already had Galaxy; my mind was racing with possibilities for Super Mario Universe. Now that Bowser's Fury has given us a taste, I'm pretty confident that's where the next 3D entry is going.

You can basically just take Odyssey kingdoms but connect them seamlessly in one single map, without world transitions. You'd have big open areas to mess around in, like that savannah level in 3D World, but certain parts would still require you to approach in more linear gauntlet style challenges, like climbing a mountain or tower somewhere in the world for example. Can also have interior areas that serve as their own separate levels too, a la Sunshine and Odyssey. Give us Yoshi for fast traversal and warp stars scattered across the map to launch us to different zones quickly

Yeah, I'm in the open world wagon.
I mean not completely open world but maybe 5 to 6 very large levels. Maybe interconnected in some ways.

Assuming it releases next year, there are two very interesting factors at play:

1. Its release will coincide with the opening of Super Nintendo World at Epic Universe in Orlando, Florida - the premier theme park destination in the world and thus, the biggest version of the land built so far.

2. It will be released in the same year that the original Super Mario Bros. will be having its 40th anniversary - an event Nintendo will not ignore.

Based on those two factors, and some guesswork based on Nintendo's recent design philosophies, this is my prediction for the next entry in the 3D Super Mario series:

Super Mario Special

Concept:

This will be an open-world 3D Mario game that takes after Bowser's Fury in its structure. You travel across the map gathering collectibles through various platforming challenges that in turn unlock other parts of the map.

As the 40th anniversary game, it pays homage to the entire franchise, with power-ups, enemies, and locations from across the entire mainline series returning.

The main location for the game is the Mushroom Kingdom, which is highly expansive and inspired by its design in the Super Mario Bros. Movie, and Super Nintendo World. It is split into 8 sections based on the typical Mario "world themes" (Grass, Desert, Ice, Beach, Jungle, Mountain, Sky, Lava). In addition, Isle Delfino and The Comet Observatory can be accessed in the post-game.

Super Mario 4D World for the 40th anniversary.

Basically, a 3D World that goes nuts. And it's open world, of course.

I think it'll probably be an evolution of some of the fundamentals of Bowser's Fury, but I'm not sure entirely what direction they're going to take it. I hope it's a surprise though - after 8 years, I want something fresh from the next Mario.

Super Mario Bros. I : The Rise of Morgul
Mario explores the Alterra Kingdom, use new devastating powers like the Grenade Bomb, the Laser beam and the Spread shot. You can also use the Morph Ball and drop mines to explore secret areas. Don't forget to use the Power Lin... no, it's totally an original game, it has nothing to do with Turrican, LET ME FINISH, NOO !

Ahem, anyway, as long as I can explore big levels / worlds with ease and have fun as I do it, the game will be exactly what I'm hoping for in a Mario game.
Except being a Turrican game...

I would prefer something like 3D World or even Galaxy 3, but if Zippo is right then i'm outta luck.
Any Mario is very high quality tho.

It will be something nobody would have predicted ahead of time, just like every previous entry
Bowser Fury being open world was kind of an easy prediction. Even then you can surmise what won't return. A super Mario 3D world style game will probably either its own series or delegated to Super Mario Maker 3.
my mind was racing with possibilities for Super Mario Universe
Well, this is what I am thinking this game is.

• Open world, fully seamless.
  • 7 areas themes (grass, lake/beach, snow, rocks/volcano, desert, forest, sky). Each area has a castle/airship sections where you battle a koopaling (their is also a mid boss battle) + bowser castle (with bowser jr as mid boss and bowser as final boss). Space/Star road theme is a post-world section.
  • There are 2 types of pipes; green pipes that can teleport you between places and blue pipes that travels you to different 3D linear sections levels (like Mario Sunshine)
  • Mario can use all their powerups, like Bowser Fury
  • Various ways to travel, even there are cannons like Mario 64.

• Open world, fully seamless.
  • 7 areas themes (grass, lake/beach, snow, rocks/volcano, desert, forest, sky). Each area has a castle/airship sections where you battle a koopaling (their is also a mid boss battle) + bowser castle (with bowser jr as mid boss and bowser as final boss). Space/Star road theme is a post-world section.
  • There are 2 types of pipes; green pipes that can teleport you between places and blue pipes that travels you to different 3D linear sections levels (like Mario Sunshine)
  • Mario can use all their powerups, like Bowser Fury
  • Various ways to travel, even there are cannons like Mario 64.
These ideas actually hype me, I just would add 2 more varied worlds and take volcano and grass out.

Huh... Interesting to think about.

If I reminisce on Mario Odyssey six things come to mind:

• Taking control of enemies
  • Putting 2D maps on 3D objects
  • Donkey Kong Stage with Superstar song
  • Sublime freedom in 3D control
  • Open character of the world - "Travel"
  • Accessible for all ages going all the way
from easy to very hard challenges.

Coming from the last 3D game before that this game evolved by a tenfold. The only complaint (a big one) I had was that the game lacked a good sense focus, it kinda was 'everything possible' and it also was kinda 'nothing distinct' at times, all over the place but therefore accessible to everyone.

--- I think that will only be felt harder this time around. I think a safe bet would be that the game will have a very open sandbox character again, but refined.

I expect a very ambitious game that will take the Odyssey formulae a step further and goes all in on open world, there will be no hub world, but there will still be different areas with their own style of collectables.

If they drop the hat gimmick they will probably go back to powerups. But not like we are used to them from previous Mario games so they might give Mario some kind of new gadget (E. Gadd design no doubt)
Maybe a gadget that can take on different shapes like F.L.U.D.D. could. But in the end it's just a magical plunger that secretly harbors the soul of all the clogged pipes in the underworld - a princess no doubt.

Bowser discovers the power of magnets and can't decide which princess to kidnap because the magnets hold a dark power over him so this time so he steals Luigi and we fight a mecha once more because robots are cool. In the end bowser saves the day and defeats the cosmic magnetic deity by sheer willpower.

Daisy will not make a comeback so you'll get a Pianta comeo instead.

I don't know but it will probably be a cool game.

-The story will be that Mario got sent to the far reaches of space by some aliens, and he needs to return before the aliens take over the world. Along the way he meets new and old friends on his quest to save the world as the aliens will do everything they can to keep you away
-It will not be fully open world, and will instead be a collection of massive worlds on par with three odyssey levels or more. Each world will be constantly changing scenery, citizens, music, culture, everything.
-The major gimmick is vehicles. There are parts you can buy at motor stores across the worlds, and with the parts you could make bikes, airships, cars, tanks, boats, whatever. The vehicle system will be very similar to tears of the kingdom in how it works
-The MO this time around is taking Odysseys theme of traveling the world, and expanding it with you traveling the universe and getting a taste for wild alien civilizations
-Multiplayer with Luigi, Wario, and Yoshi. Each has the just as Mario does, alongside special attributes only they possess. Wario is slower and has a shorter jump, but has more physical attacks (shoulder bash, punch) to make up for this. Luigi jumps higher and runs faster, but is much more slippery and hard to control. And finally Yoshi has his flutter jump for additional height, alongside his egg throwing from Yoshi’s island. They don’t play that differently, but they still are noticeably different
-The collectibles, now stars, are still abundantly available across the worlds just as the moons in Odyssey were, but the devs listened and there are much less filler collectibles now
- More vocal themes are gonna be here, around one per world. Also, like Odyssey, every part of a world has a different theme to go alongside it, so this will be a lengthy soundtrack

I predict there will never be another Mario game.

Nah but seriously I hope we get a 3D Mario game that's a lot more focused with it's sandbox design like 64 and Sunshine rather than Odyssey's random sprinkling of moons. Or even another mostly linear 3D Mario like the Galaxy games.

I'm expecting, or perhaps hoping, that we get something that is very much in line with Odyssey except that the platforming challenges will happen in the world itself nearly most of the time instead of transporting us to a "platforming dimension" much like how Bowser's Fury did it but on a grander scale. It strikes me as the most natural way of expanding what a Mario game with really really large maps would work like.

I am just going by what we know and see where we can go from there. So here is what we know:
  • Mario and Zelda usually trades idea with one another
  • Zelda Tears of the Kingdom had one world the sky and land are in one level, unlike, skyward sword.
  • With the new hardware, we will have fast loading.
  • Bowser Fury seems to be a open world teaser for a 3D open world.
  • Mario Odyssey has the best control for any 3D Mario
  • The development team sees the Mario movie as sort of a rival in the visual department.
My prediction:
I think they will take influence from Zelda tears of the kingdom and add vertical space with a seamless or one world. So not only would it be wide horizontally but vertically as well. I think in place of vertical they will bring back the galaxy theme. So we could shoot from planet to planet.

I think they won't neglect the horizontal. In fact, I think they will make a globe. We cam travel the planet. It won't be as big as the map in Odyssey but big enough where can go to different lands and feel satisfied.

The fast loading, I wonder if this will be the game where we crossover to different Nintendo IPs. Where we can go to a wormhole and see hyrule or donkey Kong country. It would be nice. This one I am not too sure about.

TLDR:
Think of super mario 64 and super mario world art showing a round globe and add different planets surrounding it.
i imagine for the next 3D Mario, there will be 6/8 biomes, that will represent the game worlds, this worlds will be vast, with severals plataforming/combat sections, Mario will have severals ways to travel for this place, like Yoshi for land travel, a vehicle/power up, for air/underwater exploration, and the game will be very puzzle focused, with for example you use a fire flower to light some candles and it open up.

Bowsers fury. But bigger, mutilple changing world gimmicks and at least 3 "vehicles" or broad movement upgrades, maybe something like a mole to run and dig underground, a amphibious frog one to surf/swim and hop on land, and eventually something that flies. 3 open zones overworld, each larger than bowsers fury with their own gimmicks, one in a jungle/forest/lake, one underground and one in the sky. With other unique themes and gimmicks in smaller levels from the hubs, most of which will be directly connected to the main maps. Controls more in line with odyssey with new movement gimmicks and new main power up theme like hat possession was, maybe character switching, definately something marketabke. At most 2 player Co op, hopefully better than bowsers fury, but probably still secondary function.

I can see them going more open world, we already got a taste of that in Odyssey and Bowser's Fury.

However, I don't see how this is going to be the hardest 3D Mario. Tight platforming design just doesn't seem to mix with open world design. I personally hope for an open world hub world with linear levels as the ''shrines''. Or the levels in Sonic Frontiers but actually good lol.

Hopefully the actual world is designed where you need to be platforming to get anywhere. Please do not make large open fields (maybe okay for a few of the areas but not all). That just doesn't make sense for Mario really.

An open world adventure with a World War I aesthetic.

But seriously, I’d love to see an open world adventure with a vast and fully explorable Mushroom Kingdom that has been invaded by Bowser and his army.

Idk but I’ve been replaying Super Mario Galaxy 2 lately and it’s reminded me how much I want a Galaxy 3…

Reposting...
I've posted about this idea a few times now already, but my ideal 3D Mario game looks like this.
  • Fully open world, but not as big as Breath of the Wild's Hyrule. It's essentially eight or nine Sand Kingdom sized areas put into one map.
  • Eight "Kingdoms" based around the basic Mario areas (Grass, Forest, Sea, Desert, Mountain, Snow, Swamp, Fire), but with unique twists to each. For example, the Fire Kingdom would be an actual volcano you could traverse with unique enemies only found in that area.
  • Bowser is on an island at the center of the map (just like Mario Wonder). You need one Special Star from each Kingdom to break his shield and get inside.
  • Each Kingdom would grant you the use of a single powerup. For example, the Grass Kingdom (starting area) would give you the basic Mushroom, the Fire Kingdom gives you the Ice Flower, the Snow Kingdom gives you the Fire Flower, etc. Once you clear the area, you can take that powerup to other Kingdoms. This would allow you to unlock secret areas or just traverse the area more effectively. By the end of the game you'd have all powerups for use in the Bowser Gauntlet.
  • Powerups can be found naturally, but if you don't have it unlocked there will be an environmental storytelling reason you can't get to it. The Fire Flowers are frozen, the Ice Flowers are covered in crystal, etc.
  • Mario is able to control vehicles and ride animals to traverse and fight. Basic Mario Kart is given out at the start. Other examples include Plessie, Yoshi, a ship, and a plane.
  • Normal Stars will be given out through basic challenges and platforming sections. They're used to help accomplish your main mission objectives or can help you buy items, vehicle customizations, and secret powerups.
Yes I've put a lot of thought into this how can you tell

I'd really prefer the Odyssey style of open world over the Bowser's Fury style, though I'm sure they could find a way to make it work if they do go down that route.

An open world adventure with a World War I aesthetic.

But seriously, I’d love to see an open world adventure with a vast and fully explorable Mushroom Kingdom that has been invaded by Bowser and his army.
I think we will start off in the mushroom kingdom. I do wonder if we will get sarahasaland (sp?).

If they do decide to go down the Bowser's Fury route, I hope they found a less jarring way to completely change the level when your back is turned. Spinning the camera around 360 degrees and seeing a lighthouse go from "good" to "bad" in a second felt really off from a design pov.

I really need there to be some Kingdom Hearts-style Mario game where he jumps into "Worlds" based on popular (and a few obscure) Nintendo properties. I know people have grown tired of the "Multiverse" stuff after it's been done again and again...BUT Nintendo is the one group of IPs where I think it would be so much fun. Just imagining a platforming stage based on Animal Crossing or a stage where he's running from Metroids instead of boos. Maybe a classic style Bowser boss battle that features Ganondorf instead. It would be so much fun :,)

It feels like the next MK is more likely to go in this direction than the next 3D Mario game, BUT it would be so cool.

If they finally like go full open world (which Odyssey already comes pretty close to, with some of its bigger kingdoms being very expansive), there's a lot that can be done.

Linear set-pieces within a seamless world featuring different environments is probably a good starting point, already established in BF. Verticality would be great too.

One of the most interesting things they could do is implementing environmental storytelling, which was already kind of touched on in BF (think of the bizarre, almost Egyptian pyramid-style markings that could be found on some walls). This is a good way to keep the Mario's franchise approach to story relatively untouched, while intriguing the player enough and create a sense of mystery without dropping exposition/dialogue dumps.

I really need there to be some Kingdom Hearts-style Mario game where he jumps into "Worlds" based on popular (and a few obscure) Nintendo properties. I know people have grown tired of the "Multiverse" stuff after it's been done again and again...BUT Nintendo is the one group of IPs where I think it would be so much fun. Just imagining a platforming stage based on Animal Crossing or a stage where he's running from Metroids instead of boos. Maybe a classic style Bowser boss battle that features Ganondorf instead. It would be so much fun :,)

It feels like the next MK is more likely to go in this direction than the next 3D Mario game, BUT it would be so cool.

I like the idea of this a lot more than I thought I would (as someone who is, in fact, tired of "Multiverse" stuff).

I think it would be really cute if it was a "spiritual successor" to Captain Rainbow, in a way. Or something like an Epic Mickey for Nintendo stuff, to use another example. Something that focuses almost entirely on forgotten Nintendo franchises and characters. Mario goes to various worlds (Mole Mania, Panel de Pon, Gumshoe, Yuyuki, Odama, Clu Clu Land, Custom Robo, etc.) to help them out.

Now, maybe that wouldn't fly for the next big 3D Mario... I'd buy it, though.

One of the most interesting things they could do is implementing environmental storytelling, which was already kind of touched on in BF (think of the bizarre, almost Egyptian pyramid-style markings that could be found on some walls). This is a good way to keep the Mario's franchise approach to story relatively untouched, while intriguing the player enough and create a sense of mystery without dropping exposition/dialogue dumps.
As long as they stay away from the post apocalyptic settings that has been overused.

My pipe dream for the past few years has been open world with level like structures, ala bowsers fury. Doorways in the open world that lead to linear 3d world/galaxy 2 styled levels, and being able to use yoshi, plessie, and your go-kart to get around the open world.

Thats asking for too much, but if even one of those things turns up in the next game, I’d be thrilled. But ill be thrilled with whatever they do, its 3d mario!

As long as they stay away from the post apocalyptic settings that has been overused.
A post apocalyptic setting never seem to fit Mario's whimsical tone anyway. I can't remember a single time that has been done in the Mario franchise, across literally all forms of media. The closest thing that comes to mind is the Ruined Kingdom in Odyssey, and that's still not it.

Back
Top Bottom