• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Nintendo's 2022 line-up seems perfect for a new stronger console

Eh, this doesn't really jive with the fact that many of the most impressive Switch games technically are those that came out in 2017/18, and that many first party games have been struggling big time with performance issues recently. Where's the improvement?

Hmmmmm I don't think that's true at all. It's just that the games released in 2017 were made by Nintendo's biggest teams with the biggest budgets and for the most time. Zelda BotW was at development since early 2013 and SMO since late 2013. Mario Kart 8 DX was already Wii U best looking game and still holds up today.
But even then, those games were in fact surpassed technically. Animal Crossing New Horizons is a real looker, has impressive detail, very high poly, has good lights engine and everything. And that came in 2020.
Let's not forget 2019's Luigi's Mansion 3 that looks as great as animation films and delivers the best lighting and shading you can expect. Crash 4 looks way better and was better optimized than NSane Trilogy. Bayonetta 3 might have looked rough with its city design and NPC's but Bayo's model is clearly higher poly, had a lot of attention to detail and visual features than in 2. Plus the kaiju stuff is probably very demanding. Then again, resolution and framerate stuff might be improved in the DLSS model while these games can still play in the OG.
Metroid Dread came today and it's one of the best looking and technically advanced 2.5D games ever, so you get your comparison point with LA: Dread is 60 FPS and has more visual features.
Games are getting more and more optimized and with more and more next gen visual features. The real points of comparison to the games you mentioned are coming next year, with BotW sequel(the analysis of E3 2019 by GameXplain already shows), Splatoon 3, a new Donkey Kong by EPD, and Xenoblade 3(DE already looked better than 2).

Link's Awakening and AoC aren't really good examples though, the stutter in LA is down to some programming goof or quirk of the UE4 engine, there's no technical reason why the Switch can't run something that looks like that at a solid 60 FPS, and AoC is made by Koei-Tecmo so it was always going to look crap. I expect if Nintendo had developed it in-house on one of their own engines it would run at a consistent 30 FPS at least. XC2 had development problems too, in theory the Switch could run it much better.
It always bugs me when these 3 are brought up as examples of why the Switch needs more power. Sure, there are games that could look better with more power, but these 3 specifically have their own issues which are nothing to with the hardware.
That's exactly it. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was ""rushed"". Most of Monolith Soft was working on BotW, and X came in 2015. The game was really good looking docked in artstyle and scenario but we couldn't expect polishment and resolution with a ~40 team and 2.5 years. Xenoblade DE was already better looking and more polished. Xenoblade 3 will be stunning, as Monolith has a lot of staff now, has experience with the console and now has a lengthy dev time. Xenoblade Chronicles X was well optimized for the Wii U. It ran at 720p, had somewhat stable 30fps, and had a reaaaaaaaaaally massive world map. Scenario looked way better than 2 imo. But that game has almost 5 years of development. Just like Xenoblade 3 will have when it comes.

Also yeah, it's very biased to use AOC as an example. Would make as much sense as saying Wii U wouldn't be able to run BotW or that it wouldn't have better looking games because HW ran like crap and didn't have quite good visuals.

Well Nate did said that initial (pre Covid) Nintendo plan was to release Switch "Pro" this year.
But with launch of OLED, I dont see "Pro" even next year, but expecting Switch 2 in 2023/2024.
I expect Pro in 2022 or early 2023 and a real successor in 2025 at the earliest.

What is the OLED model though? A premium tier Switch and thats it. For all we know, Nintendo could be testing the waters for their next hardware to offer a "premium" and "standard" release model at launch. As it is the stronger device will be easily $400-$500.

I thought the Metroid Prime remakes were the current focus for the franchise? I can't see MP4 releasing anytime soon when MP1 is apparently a standalone release.

But I don't think we are in for a sleight of ambitious software like this unless BOTW 2 is delayed and Xenoblade 3 doesn't launch next year.
Not really.
Metroid Prime 1 wrapped up development this year. It began development before Retro started working on 4. Now all of Retro is working on MP4. But during 2-3 years both of the games were being developed together. And probably MP4 never had a really small staff. If it releases in late 2023 it'll be five years of development, with the last two and a half with the full staff working only on it. It's in no way a short development cycle.
We have the 2023 expected release date by Emily's summary.
Metroid Prime Remakester is the only one that was being worked on and is to be released next year. Earliest plan was a Trilogy remaster, later focus shifted to a remakester of Prime 1 standalone, with 2 and 3 to be standalone too. After they were given Metroid Prime 4, they've been finishing MP1 and developing MP4, now with MP1 finished they're all in MP4. Prime 2 and 3 aren't being worked on, and we don't even know if they'll come anytime soon. That's what you get by Emily summary and Belmont's post.
(Edit: Emily clarified on the last page that nobody knows if Switch will get 2 and 3)
They'll probably do with Trilogy the same thing they've been doing with 3D Zelda, releasing them as standalone remasters every now and them to celebrate anniversaries (OoT, SSHD), release new models or consoles(OoT and MM 3D), or just fill gaps in the year(WW, TP and SS HD).

We have Dread this year, we'll have an ambitious remaster for Prime anniversary next year and 4 in 2023. I expect 2 and 3 to be less ambitious remasters and release in years without main entries to keep the franchise on the spotlight and fill gaps. I see it the same way as Wind Waker HD had new lights engine, better textures and was done in house with external help, while TP HD and SS HD didn't have that much of a graphical leap and were majorly done by Tantalus. I can see Prime 2 and 3 being remasters without replacing all models and being done by someone else, maybe even Tantalus. And none of them anytime soon.

Last edited:
It’s not that a Pro model at this time makes no business sense; it’s that an OLED refresh makes more business sense.

I'd lke to think that, with the experience of having developed several games now for the Switch, and having a much, much larger team than with Xenoblade 2, that Xenoblade 3 will have far better performance and graphics even on the same hardware

I'd like to think that

Who are you talking to and what are you talking about?
It's a general feeling I've been having every time people go on rants about how things "look perfect for a more powerful switch/switch pro/switch 2" and then it not happening at all. Which has been going on for 4 years at this point lol. First with the Mariko switch model, then with the OLED, now finding patterns on games...

Assume the lineup for next year is releasing on base switch, because that's the single thing we can confirm now, and be happy with it. Speculation is fun, but I still get flashbacks to the posts in the other place about "Mariko is totally going to run games better. Well maybe Nintendo will unlock the clocks via software. Well we're totally getting a pro next year you see."

My point is more to enjoy what we have instead of setting some weird expectations of hypothetical new switches, sort of.

It's a general feeling I've been having every time people go on rants about how things "look perfect for a more powerful switch/switch pro/switch 2" and then it not happening at all. Which has been going on for 4 years at this point lol. First with the Mariko switch model, then with the OLED, now finding patterns on games...

Assume the lineup for next year is releasing on base switch, because that's the single thing we can confirm now, and be happy with it. Speculation is fun, but I still get flashbacks to the posts in the other place about "Mariko is totally going to run games better. Well maybe Nintendo will unlock the clocks via software. Well we're totally getting a pro next year you see."

My point is more to enjoy what we have instead of setting some weird expectations of hypothetical new switches, sort of.
I'm still not enturely sure what the problem is. People are being too hopeful for your liking?

I'd lke to think that, with the experience of having developed several games now for the Switch, and having a much, much larger team than with Xenoblade 2, that Xenoblade 3 will have far better performance and graphics even on the same hardware

I'd like to think that
XCDE had subpar resolution and performance, and looked substantially less ambitious than 2 IMO. I’m not expecting anything night and day over what we saw with 2

Are you certain that it makes 'zero business sense'? I really don't think very high sales after five years is all that straightforward of a metric. Has the composition of audience (core vs casual) shifted in this high point? Is the software attach rate among the new audience the same as previous years sales (and is the composition of first and third party titles as healthy)? Has anything changed for software buying habits among the audience from 2017-2019? And did Sony not release a PS4 Pro when PS4 was seeing it's best year yet? Why would they do such a thing?

I get that if they cannot produce any extra Switch systems beyond what they're producing now, a newer, better system won't result in more hardware sales - but it will revitalize the discussion and engagement among the core audience which may be more beneficial to longevity of the whole ecosystem than the steady stream of MK8 and Mario Party sales.

Edit: the point im making is we see a lot of 'it makes no business sense' but I just wonder if that's true at all.
For an upgrade/pro, while I strongly disagree, I sort of understand the argument. A full on Switch 2, with exclusive games that only run on Switch 2, next year? Makes zero sense. There hasn't been a single console manufacturer in the last 15 years to launch a successor console during the peak of their current sales while also having a full schedule. The incredibly packed 2022 does not tell me Switch 2 is around the corner, just the opposite.

XCDE had subpar resolution and performance, and looked substantially less ambitious than 2 IMO. I’m not expecting anything night and day over what we saw with 2
Looked a hell of a lot better than 2, which is my point.

Also, I'd hope it's clear that retexturing a ten year-old game will not be representative of what a new game built on their latest engine will look like.

Well, at the end of the day, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition was still based on a Wii game. I'd expect XC3 to be more technically impressive. Though I do think it'll still disappoint in some ways on that front.

A full on Switch 2, with exclusive games that only run on Switch 2, next year? Makes zero sense. There hasn't been a single console manufacturer in the last 15 years to launch a successor console during the peak of their current sales while also having a full schedule. The incredibly packed 2022 does not tell me Switch 2 is around the corner, just the opposite.

I don't think many posters are proposing that we have a successor in the previous sense, a device with mostly exclusives, anytime soon; In fact I suspect such a thing will never exist again for any of the major platforms. What we've seen with Series X|S (and to a similar, but slightly lesser extent the PS5) will be the norm. A new Switch (successor/revision/whatever) would enhance 2022's games, not hit the market with a wave of it's own exclusives.

For an upgrade/pro, while I strongly disagree, I sort of understand the argument.

Unless you're close to the decision making and data analyst work at Nintendo (or similar) I don't see how you could strongly disagree? I'm not stating these things as facts - I'm proposing that anybody saying that 'it makes no business sense' is just putting their finger in the air. Evidence may show it's a perfectly sound business decision to launch some form of a Pro in 2022, and I'm inclined to believe Sony's and Microsoft's choice in doing so at similar points last generation shouldn't be ignored.

Looked a hell of a lot better than 2, which is my point.

Also, I'd hope it's clear that retexturing a ten year-old game will not be representative of what a new game built on their latest engine will look like.

I can't say I agree :X I kind of thought XCDE was a hideous and bland game. It's docked resolution fell into the same 540p-720p range, but it's dated world design and topography was really unimpressive by my tastes.

It could be that because it was build on an old game, it simply wasn't optimized in the same way a from-scratch new game would be.

I don't think many posters are proposing that we have a successor in the previous sense, a device with mostly exclusives, anytime soon; In fact I suspect such a thing will never exist again for any of the major platforms. What we've seen with Series X|S (and to a similar, but slightly lesser extent the PS5) will be the norm. A new Switch (successor/revision/whatever) would enhance 2022's games, not hit the market with a wave of it's own exclusives.

Unless you're close to the decision making and data analyst work at Nintendo (or similar) I don't see how you could strongly disagree? I'm not stating these things as facts - I'm proposing that anybody saying that 'it makes no business sense' is just putting their finger in the air. Evidence may show it's a perfectly sound business decision to launch some form of a Pro in 2022, and I'm inclined to believe Sony's and Microsoft's choice in doing so at similar points last generation shouldn't be ignored.
I don't think Sony or Nintendo will eschew traditional console upgrades. Microsoft has done it because their goal is to get people into their ecosystem, period. Same with GamePass. The only thing Sony has done is have a year or two with backwards compatible games. They will, and already have, focus on PS5 exclusives before very long.

Also, I don't understand what you're saying here. I'm just saying I disagree with some sentiments here that a Pro is likely or even inevitable. Releasing a $350 model, only to release a $400 model in a year that's superior in every way doesn't really track with how Nintendo has handled their products in the past, or how most console manufacturers treat refreshes in general. This sort of thinking, again, feels kinda like gamer bubble thinking where everything has to be up to date and high tech even though Nintendo hasn't produced their consoles that way for 20 years. Whether a Pro was canceled due to COVID/chip shortages, or the original tech leaks are meant for a Switch 2, I can't say. If the OLED didn't just release I might argue differently.

It could be that because it was build on an old game, it simply wasn't optimized in the same way a from-scratch new game would be.
This is why I'm saying 3 will look better than 1 or 2

Nintendo's 2022 lineup doesn't feel like a new hardware launch year to me; it'll be a year for software sales to shine. Every 2022 first-party title announced so far is a new installment of a series that already has games available on the Switch. It's a year where they'll be focusing on people looking for more Pokemon, more HD-2D, more Zelda, more Splatoon, more Bayonetta, more Mario + Rabbids, etc; on the Switch systems they already own.

Kirby might be the freshest-looking game of the year so far, but that's never been a series that pushes hardware either.

Another game that people always ignore from the "Switch devs are getting more use to it than aging hardware" is Bowser's Fury. All in one open world game at 60 FPS.

Also, I don't understand what you're saying here. I'm just saying I disagree with some sentiments here that a Pro is likely or even inevitable.

I assumed you were saying you were disagreeing with my post, and the entirety of my post was debating the idea that a higher spec revision made zero business sense. I understand that you don't personally think it should happen, but the talk of definitive 'business sense' is what prompted me.

The OLED Model's positioning remains a strange thing. It really doesn't feel like a device that's meant to convince most 2017 adopters to upgrade, even if we're finding that quite a few of us are doing it anyway. Maybe you're right that it's just my being part of an enthusiast bubble, but I see there being an appetite for a superior device launching in a similar timeframe next year - OLED doesn't change that.

Last edited:
Nintendo's 2022 lineup doesn't feel like a new hardware launch year to me; it'll be a year for software sales to shine. Every 2022 first-party title announced so far is a new installment of a series that already has games available on the Switch. It's a year where they'll be focusing on people looking for more Pokemon, more HD-2D, more Zelda, more Splatoon, more Bayonetta, more Mario + Rabbids, etc; on the Switch systems they already own.

Kirby might be the freshest-looking game of the year so far, but that's never been a series that pushes hardware either.
That's the best post I've seen here tbh. It's just that star aligned(not pun intended with my profile pic) that we all hoped for 2019, 2020 and 2021 to be. The year with sequels to 2017 games, with games announced early releasing, with ambitious takes on beloved franchises.
And I say that also not rulling out the possibility that a more powerful revision might come. I think a Switch Pro releasing the same day as Zelda in say September is absolutely possible. Even tho I don't know what the point of the OLED would've been.
Any new hardware that is a improvement just seems more likely in 2023. As it was: 2017, 2019 and 2021 for OG, Lite and OLED. Maybe Metroid Prime 4 releases alongside the DLSS model. Not a cross gen by any means, tho.

A lot of people saying that Bowser's Fury shows there's no room for improvement for the Switch graphically given how it barely looks better than Odyssey ......

...... but doesn't it run on the 3D World engine? The engine that, just a few years ago, made one of the ugliest open levels in any Mario game ever, because the engine had such a hard time handling open areas? Lol.

A lot of people saying that Bowser's Fury shows there's no room for improvement for the Switch graphically given how it barely looks better than Odyssey ......

...... but doesn't it run on the 3D World engine? The engine that, just a few years ago, made one of the ugliest open levels in any Mario game ever, because the engine had such a hard time handling open areas? Lol.
Bowser's Fury looked and felt great to me.

Are you certain that it makes 'zero business sense'? I really don't think very high sales after five years is all that straightforward of a metric. Has the composition of audience (core vs casual) shifted in this high point? Is the software attach rate among the new audience the same as previous years sales (and is the composition of first and third party titles as healthy)? Has anything changed for software buying habits among the audience from 2017-2019? And did Sony not release a PS4 Pro when PS4 was seeing it's best year yet? Why would they do such a thing?

Hmmmmm I think that's exactly the point. In the peak year/after peak year, Sony release a revision of the PS4. Capable of running PS4 games at 4k and with HDR. But... That was it. PS4 Pro was still a PS4, in no way was it ever even a semi successor or transition to PS5. There's no games that released only on the Pro.
What me and others here disagree is that some people are seeing the DLSS model as more of a successor than a revision. I think it's more likely to be a successor that will just run Switch games better. Not some transition to a Switch 2 or a replacement. I think it'll be another premium model for hardcore gamers, as Lite is a cheaper model for children and casual gamers.

Again, makes a lot of sense to use the argument for a revision but no sense at all for a successor.

Hmmmmm I think that's exactly the point. In the peak year/after peak year, Sony release a revision of the PS4. Capable of running PS4 games at 4k and with HDR. But... That was it. PS4 Pro was still a PS4, in no way was it ever even a semi successor or transition to PS5. There's no games that released only on the Pro.
What me and others here disagree is that some people are seeing the DLSS model as more of a successor than a revision. I think it's more likely to be a successor that will just run Switch games better. Not some transition to a Switch 2 or a replacement. I think it'll be another premium model for hardcore gamers, as Lite is a cheaper model for children and casual gamers.

Again, makes a lot of sense to use the argument for a revision but no sense at all for a successor.

Maybe I'm misreading the topic. I kind of assumed most weren't talking about a hard successor, but I might just be mixing the Future Hardware thread's sentiment with whatever is actually happening in here.

Maybe I'm misreading the topic. I kind of assumed most weren't talking about a hard successor, but I might just be mixing the Future Hardware thread's sentiment with whatever is actually happening in here.
I'm sorry if I misunderstand the general feeling too. Also, if you wouldn't mind it, can you explain to me what you and most people have been thinking about what the DLSS model will be? I skipped speculations for awhile and when I got back I even got a bit scared that a lot of people are thinking it's a successor.

That's the best post I've seen here tbh. It's just that star aligned(not pun intended with my profile pic) that we all hoped for 2019, 2020 and 2021 to be. The year with sequels to 2017 games, with games announced early releasing, with ambitious takes on beloved franchises.
And I say that also not rulling out the possibility that a more powerful revision might come. I think a Switch Pro releasing the same day as Zelda in say September is absolutely possible. Even tho I don't know what the point of the OLED would've been.
Any new hardware that is a improvement just seems more likely in 2023. As it was: 2017, 2019 and 2021 for OG, Lite and OLED. Maybe Metroid Prime 4 releases alongside the DLSS model. Not a cross gen by any means, tho.

This 'stars aligning' situation is entirely manufactured by Nintendo. It's not a coincidence, and the reality is that sequels to all of the titles won't happen for another 4-5 years. If newer, better hardware isn't launched with these titles, then it feels like any similar hardware needs to wait for another such opportunity, lest it run the risk of a very weak an uninspiring lineup, or a pretty big gap following launch.

If we suppose that they launch something in 2023, maybe it would align with a cross-gen Metroid Prime 4 and Mario title, but that still leaves years before we see Zelda or Splatoon again. I would think they'd look at Switch launch as something to replicate.

I'm sorry if I misunderstand the general feeling too. Also, if you wouldn't mind it, can you explain to me what you and most people have been thinking about what the DLSS model will be? I skipped speculations for awhile and when I got back I even got a bit scared that a lot of people are thinking it's a successor.

I don't want to speak for that entire thread as there's quite a lot of people, and many are far more invested that myself. But any talk of it being a successor is typically framed around it being positioned as a 'revision' at launch. And because it's quite a substantial leap in capabilities, it would eventually be the only model sold, with the original model being phased out.

I really don't think I've read many (any?) posts assuming the DLSS/Dane Switch will kill off the current Switch line like a traditional successor.

Last edited:
I agree it looks great, I'm just saying that they obviously put a lot of effort into making the 3D World engine process an open environment like that as well as it did in Bowser's Fury. I don't think it's comparable to the graphical leap we might see had the team already started with an engine suited for that, say with an Odyssey 2 (even then, I'm half-tempted to say Bowser's Fury does look a decent amount better than Odyssey, but it can be hard to tell with the art style differences).

... Unless you were just responding to the people downplaying the evolution to Bowser's Fury :) Then my bad

I agree it looks great, I'm just saying that they obviously put a lot of effort into making the 3D World engine process an open environment like that as well as it did in Bowser's Fury. I don't think it's comparable to the graphical leap we might see had the team already started with an engine suited for that, say with an Odyssey 2 (even then, I'm half-tempted to say Bowser's Fury does look a decent amount better than Odyssey, but it can be hard to tell with the art style differences).

... Unless you were just responding to the people downplaying the evolution to Bowser's Fury :) Then my bad
A bit of both. For me, Odyssey and BF looked about the same. But BF evolution wasn't graphical, more like having a world connected ( dunno what that be called? Techincal?)

Next Switch model should release the same day as BOTW2 and very near next Mario Kart release. 2 big games, one focused on single player and the other on multiplayer. It worked very good for the OG Switch, why not repeat the same ?

Next year FY we are getting a bunch of sequels of year 1 switch titles:

- Zelda BOTW 1 -> 2
- Kirby Star Allies -> Forgotten Land
- Splatoon 2 -> 3
- Bayonetta 2 -> 3
- Xenoblade 2 -> 3
- M+R 1 -> 2
- Mario Odyssey -> Next Tokyo proyect?
- ARMS/MK8DX -> Next Yabuki game ?

so, if getting a new hardware by next FY, I will feel like a new start of switch cycle.

I'm still not enturely sure what the problem is. People are being too hopeful for your liking?

It's fear of the ensuing riot when things don't pan out. If you get yourself too caught up in fantasy hopes, everything will seem disappointing.

Yep. Didn't notice this performance problem. Unless we're getting into Erina Nakiri territory.

It's fear of the ensuing riot when things don't pan out. If you get yourself too caught up in fantasy hopes, everything will seem disappointing.
It's possible to be hopeful and discuss what you want from a next console without then being disappointed when/if it doesn't happen. I think a lot of people's disappointment usually comes from placing too much importance on leaks (rather than just discussions around what people want in the future), without realising that sometimes a company's plan changes.

Is Bowser's Fury really as bad as everyone is saying? In truth I've only played a little bit of it, but it looked great to me, and I'de be more than happy if my Switch games continued to look like that.

I expect Pro in 2022 or early 2023 and a real successor in 2025 at the earliest.

Nate said that earliest when Pro or Switch could be released is end of next year, and even in that time it would be late for Pro revision because Switch would over 5.5 years on market, so it has more sense to simple release Switch 2 in 2023/2024.

I'm not sure I'd frame the switch pro thirst as hopeful, lol. It's just going to lead to what we've already seen. People getting disappointed if a pro/2 isn't released next year either.

At this point a lot of the discourse feels like people trying to find patterns where there are none to confirm a more powerful switch happening soon, and that doesn't lead to anything productive. I know a fair bit of people that are skipping games they want to play to "save" them for a Pro, and they've been doing this for like 3 years already. It's a weird mindset to be in.

Most people expect a Q4 22 or Q1 23 release which would be around the time BotW sequel would hit too. Switch would have been on the market for 6 years by this point.

A lot of people expected a pro since day one, very strong opinion about supposedly imminent launch during 2019 (instead we got Lite) and 100% convinced, "now for real" kind of comments for this year. These people are now hiding behind the excuse of "changed" plans to sugarcoat beeing wrong and most likely for not even beeing honest, trying to sell us their educated guesses as insiders information . Nintendo themselves said to investors that they aim a longer lifecycle, which means that what we see right now is in line with plans, while the narrative of abrupt change in plans looks more and more like deflection from "insiders" who told people fabricated nonsense. Some of the same people that were very confident that 2021 was a sealed deal, changed their tune...

That after almost a typical console cycle we come closer and closer to a next generation system ist common sense, devkits also typically go out 1-3 years before launch. Nothing that can't be concluded with common sense, which often simply falls in educated guess territory. Especially easy to be correct If you move the goalpost several times from one year to the next. And even more telling if combined with "could be Pro or Switch 2", "Nintendo changed plans".

A lot of people expected a pro since day one, very strong opinion about supposedly imminent launch during 2019 (instead we got Lite) and 100% convinced, "now for real" kind of comments for this year. These people are now hiding behind the excuse of "changed" plans to sugarcoat beeing wrong and most likely for not even beeing honest, trying to sell us their educated guesses as insiders information . Nintendo themselves said to investors that they aim a longer lifecycle, which means that what we see right now is in line with plans, while the narrative of abrupt change in plans looks more and more like deflection from "insiders" who told people fabricated nonsense. Some of the same people that were very confident that 2021 was a sealed deal, changed their tune...

That after almost a typical console cycle we come closer and closer to a next generation system ist common sense, devkits also typically go out 1-3 years before launch. Nothing that can't be concluded with common sense, which often simply falls in educated guess territory. Especially easy to be correct If you move the goalpost several times from one year to the next. And even more telling if combined with "could be Pro or Switch 2", "Nintendo changed plans".
I just said thats when many people expect it to release, not that its a fact. Plans change all the time and we are all for the most part just guessing based on the available information.

Some people seem to think that the Switch lifecycle immediately ends the second a successor is announced or on the market - i disagree with that and am sure that Nintendo is gonna keep the Switch Lite and standard Switch around for years to come. A Switch 2/4K could release in 23 and the regular Switch would still stick around for a couple of years and get games from Nintendo and smaller devs. Its happening with PS/Xbox right now and its gonna happen with future Switch iterations as well.

2023 is another two years from now, year 7 in Switchs life. That's compared to most systems a complete lifecycle the time a system usually has a replacement around the corner. Actually already longer than most other systems. "Insiders" some even with dedicated YouTube Channels... really moved the goalpost quite a lot of times with Switch and people still give them the benefit of the doubt.

Xenoblade DE doesn’t look better than 2 at all, it’s obviously a Wii game remastered, well remastered for sure but still. It even looked blurrier sometimes

It would be the right time to launch a proper Switch upgrade and I would expect Nintendo to do it.

Then again, this is Nintendo we're talking about so expect the unexpected.

I honestly don't think that's something you need to worry about.

I honestly don't think that's something you need to worry about.
It's certainly not imo something you can stop, we have seen folks wanting and talking about a switch pro or successors since about 2018 or so, so far I feel the supposed disappointment and riots have been overblown. even this year is a good example, switch oled happened, it was for many a disappointment when the announcement was made. But now even amongst a lot of tech sites that made articles that were critical of it on announcement are raving about it on release. Personally so long as folks aren't raving about how switch games are "ugly and dated" now and it needs a replacement right this minute, or how it's gonna get wii'd and fall off a cliff (there was some talk of that leading into 2021 and then well *gestures*) I am mostly fine if folks wanna think there's a revision in the next year or so. Its no skin off my back, I'll by whatever whenever it comes. I do have a pet peeve with how much folks have now conflated revision and successor as the same thing and now when talk of one happens it's treated as talk of the other and it leads to conversations where folks are clearly talking about different things but treating it as the same.

Cross-gen? I would bet good money that none of that is going to happen for any of these games.

Well what do you mean? BotW was "cross-gen" even though it was technically just a port. I'm not saying these games are going to be considerably upgraded, but I can see Nintendo using them as showcases for the better image quality and performance. Also if they have their own DualSense-like controller features, that'll also be another showcase point.

I do have a pet peeve with how much folks have now conflated revision and successor as the same thing and now when talk of one happens it's treated as talk of the other and it leads to conversations where folks are clearly talking about different things but treating it as the same.

I think its because it COULD be the same thing. We are in age where Nintendo has only one platform on the market, when it use to be two (handheld and console split) and the industry has changed even more since then. Xbox now has two different consoles with the same SSD driven foundation but very different graphic capabilities, where the S is technically weaker than the last gen Xbox One X.

So for Nintendo, the Switch 2 can be both an upgraded Switch and their new platform. There are no clear cut rules anymore, especially with both PlayStation and Xbox having their first two years with mainly enhanced cross gen games as their selling point when it comes to games.

Why can't Nintendo do the same? As it is, the Switch *needs* to still be around when the next Nintendo platform hits since it will be a much more expensive console in theory (OLED, better tech/chips, and upcharge due to Switch success). So it is better to launch it sooner rather than later, where they can use a strong line-up of enhanced games while the real next gen software from Nintendo comes a year or two after.

So 2022 seems like a great opportunity for that really

I do have a pet peeve with how much folks have now conflated revision and successor as the same thing and now when talk of one happens it's treated as talk of the other and it leads to conversations where folks are clearly talking about different things but treating it as the same.
in the hardware thread, we're only talking about one set of specs, which is why we say the pro and the succ are the same thing. IMO, if there was a proper delineation, there'd be two sets of specs. I haven't really seen anyone explain what a "Pro" would be if it's not Dane. I guess it could be an overclocked Mariko (and there were rumors of such), but so long after the Mariko units launched, no one really thinks about that now

Well what do you mean? BotW was "cross-gen" even though it was technically just a port. I'm not saying these games are going to be considerably upgraded, but I can see Nintendo using them as showcases for the better image quality and performance. Also if they have their own DualSense-like controller features, that'll also be another showcase point.

To me Nintendo is acting normally. Games take time to make and the games that were finished and released in 2017 have had enough time for the sequels to get completed.

In other words, enough time has passed that the sequels to all the games that came out in 2017 are finished. I just think that Nintendo is positioning the OLED as a relaunch and is using software to push people to invest in the OLED model. Also, if what this guy says is true...

twitter.png

It backs up what I've been saying. Nintendo is essentially saying "Switch is here to stay, if you don't want to or cant port a game, put it on the cloud."

To me Nintendo is acting normally. Games take time to make and the games that were finished and released in 2017 have had enough time for the sequels to get completed.

In other words, enough time has passed that the sequels to all the games that came out in 2017 are finished. I just think that Nintendo is positioning the OLED as a relaunch and is using software to push people to invest in the OLED model. Also, if what this guy says is true...

twitter.png

It backs up what I've been saying. Nintendo is essentially saying "Switch is here to stay, if you don't want to or cant port a game, put it on the cloud."

But then where is Mario Kart 9? We are going on 8 years since the game released and 5 years since the deluxe edition. Same can be said for the next 3D Mario. It really feels like these are two games specifically being held for the next Nintendo platform, and they can't wait ages till they are out just because the Switch is doing well.

There are only so many games they can release on Switch before the timing of the release of their next platform and development of new installments are misaligned, and Nintendo needs a heavy loaded first year with first part software

Back
Top Bottom