• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST32 May 2024| Endless Ocean Season!, Paper Mario Season!

Which Season?

• Total voters
Next gen?
I swear to fuck if they don't release VII-R3 until the damn PS6 😩
Realistically, they have a lot of things they should be able to reuse from 1 and 2, so part 3 can't take that long anymore, can it?

(Although I also have no idea how much they still need to cover, so I might just be extremely optimistic)

Next gen?
I swear to fuck if they don't release VII-R3 until the damn PS6 😩
NES: 3 numbered FF games
SNES: 3 numbered FF games
PS1: 3 numbered FF games
PS2: 3 numbered FF games, 1 direct sequel
PS3: 1 numbered FF game, 2 direct sequels
PS4: 2 numbered FF games, a handful of spinoffs, 1/3rd of a remake
PS5 (so far): 1 numbered FF game, a handful of spinoffs, 1/3rd of a remake or 1 direct sequel (depending on how you want to count Rebirth)

This-deal-keeps-getting-worse.gif

I think the third FF VII Remake game will be cross gen on Day 1. It seems like Square is prioritizing getting the game's out sooner rather than later. It took them 3 years to make Rebirth and they're probably not going to do significant changes to the engine that would make development of the third game last longer.

I.... Damn you are so right, the third and final installment is not out by a long time, didn't think about that lol 😅😂
Yeah Remake and Rebirth were four years apart, so if that holds (I hope it doesn't but if) that puts R3 into 2028, at which point the PS5 would be eight years old and very possibly replaced by then. Best case scenario I think is if R3 ends up crossgen and the next gen 3-game pack you were talking about is just a resolution bump or something that'd be easy to do without.

Because I'm already waiting and planning on temporarily buying a PS5 just for the trilogy once the whole thing is out, and if they split it across another generation I'm gonna flip a table. 😅

I'm always thrown off whenever I see @Mr_No_U posting seriously in other threads. It's like bumping into your teacher at the grocery store. You wonder why they exist outside of where you expect them to be and why they are being so friendly.
Oh it was the opposite for me. Teachers were super friendly when we were in school but if I ran into them outside of school they'd get cagey and not wanna deal with me 🤣

I think the third FF VII Remake game will be cross gen on Day 1. It seems like Square is prioritizing getting the game's out sooner rather than later. It took them 3 years to make Rebirth and they're probably not going to do significant changes to the engine that would make development of the third game last longer.
But why make a game crossgen when you can sell an enhanced port of it a few months down the line again? 👀

Realistically, they have a lot of things they should be able to reuse from 1 and 2, so part 3 can't take that long anymore, can it?
That's what I thought about them going from 1 to 2 😬

It took them 3 years to make Rebirth
Did they take a year off before starting development on it or something?
Remake: 2020
Rebirth: 2024

Yeah, though in hindsight you could've probably expected that they'll expand a lot on the "open world" section of the original 👀

Maybe they've had to come up with more minigames xD

I think they said somewhere that the game was in full production for 3 years. They were making Intergrade between 2020 and 2021 plus doing engine upgrades while working on that project.

There is something weird going on where Kendrick seems to have dirt on Drake and dropping his disses so fast there has to be somebody in Drake's camp being a mole. It's getting quite ugly. J Cole was right stepping out of this.

Edit: FF7: Rebirth only now sold a million? Is that official? Because SE can't be happy with that...
Definitely. Kendrick even said that he has opps in OVO in 6:16. This isn't like "Story of Adidon", where Pusha T got most of his dirt on Drake incidentally. It's honestly a testament to how much Kendrick loathes Drake; I can't take my eyes away, at this point.

I'd reckon it's because of Remake's DLC and SE probably recovering from Covid.

A lot of Disc 3 of FF7 is a fetch quest so it helps that they've made most of the world already. It's just Rocket town, Mideel, Wutai and the Northern continent left to feature iirc.

A lot of Disc 3 of FF7 is a fetch quest so it helps that they've made most of the world already. It's just Rocket town, Mideel, Wutai and the Northern continent left to feature iirc.
It’s funny that despite playing FF7 (original) like three times I have very little memory of what happens after the northern crater/glacier area. I know that Ultima Weapon is involved, and you go back to Midgar to do… something? And the whole lifestream bit? That’s about all I’ve got

Majority of the dev time will be spent making the snowboarding and submarine mini games.

Say how was the Xbox version of the modern Shenmue 1/2 port? Always heard good thing but never did try em

We also still gotta take down this mid-2000s edge lord in the third game

1*dkOQvzdJqEhzxo4oEJ4-6A.jpeg

Nah that'll be the part 3 dlc "ReDirge"

I had considered that if Square were to release an Intergrade version of Rebirth, it would have a side campaign with Yuffie and Vincent teaming up to take down Deepground. It would kind of fit considering their story connections to Deepground, how they are both the optional characters in the OG, and it would allow Square develop Vincent's moveset and then just port it over to the final game like they did with Yuffie from Intermission to Rebirth.

i’m failing to see why a home only console is better than hybrid? you have options with hybrid, the switch concept is perfect, sure it could use a bit more juice after 7 years but i can’t bloody well chuck my ps5 in my backpack and whip it out on the train or plane.

the people who have unrealistic expectations for the numbers
Not really the numbers people are in a tizzy about, it's the "promise" of a whiff of a breadcrumb of an announcement of new hardware, because Nintendo has to give their investors something, yeah?

i’m failing to see why a home only console is better than hybrid?
It's definitely not the case for me, I have a PC

Not really the numbers people are in a tizzy about, it's the "promise" of a whiff of a breadcrumb of an announcement of new hardware, because Nintendo has to give their investors something, yeah?

Every financial report we have people arguing about sales numbers not being good enough. The people upset about no new Switch 2 info don't bother me yet.

Every financial report we have people arguing about sales numbers not being good enough. The people upset about no new Switch 2 info don't bother me yet.
I mostly see those arguments as a preface for "why Nintendo needs to release the successor already" or otherwise they lose their momentum or whatever

i’m failing to see why a home only console is better than hybrid? you have options with hybrid, the switch concept is perfect, sure it could use a bit more juice after 7 years but i can’t bloody well chuck my ps5 in my backpack and whip it out on the train or plane.
Sounds like a skill issue. I remember road trips as a kid bringing my GameCube along with the screen that attached to the top of it.

Sounds like a skill issue. I remember road trips as a kid bringing my GameCube along with the screen that attached to the top of it.
i was actually gonna say “maybe im not being creative enough”, and also the gamecube was hybrid nintendo knew what they were doing with that handle

Finally started Samurai Champloo tonight AMA

I have a desktop PC with an aging video card (AMD RX 480) and it dawned on me this weekend that a Deck 2.0 is probably going to be companion device to Switch 2 come 2026 or 2027. I’ve got a sizable Steam library and if I can figure out how to get some non-Steam games to run on it that will check off basically all the use cases I need without needing to invest in a laptop.

Last edited:
I’ve been replaying BotW lately, first time post-TotK. Mainly just speedrunning to shrines and the divine beasts. Also using some mods to speed things up a bit. Anyway, replaying it has made me able to more firmly put the two games head to head. And my conclusion is: BotW was a massively impactful game and my first experience with it was one of my greatest gaming experiences ever. And that probably won’t ever be able to be replicated. But in terms of just what video game is a better video game, TotK is just a better game in all meaningful ways. Both games still rank near top of the franchise for me, but if I’m ranking the games, TotK is always going to rank ahead of BotW. For a while there, I wasn’t sure which one I truly like better. But I think the answer is pretty clear for me now. I didn’t really appreciate the sheer scope increase and mechanical polishing that TotK brings until going back to BotW.

Also something else that’s really noticeable now: TotK actually has quite a graphical upgrade from BotW. It’s sharper looking and brighter, and textures seem to have gotten a bit better. I never noticed that until revisiting BotW.

It’s funny that despite playing FF7 (original) like three times I have very little memory of what happens after the northern crater/glacier area. I know that Ultima Weapon is involved, and you go back to Midgar to do… something? And the whole lifestream bit? That’s about all I’ve got
Omg same

I have one or two playthrough in on PS1 and a playthrough on PC and I barely remember what happens past Midgar. I just remember being confused a lot.

To this day I can't really say I know the story of FFVII. 😅

I may try halo infinite again. I enjoyed it but always kept dying. If I can improve and get a win in fortnite, then I can improve in other online games too.

I’ve been trying to find enjoyable online games for a while but I’ve been thinking about it wrong. I just have to have fun as well as improve and get better at it.

Omg same

I have one or two playthrough in on PS1 and a playthrough on PC and I barely remember what happens past Midgar. I just remember being confused a lot.

To this day I can't really say I know the story of FFVII. 😅
I say this as someone who loves FFVII a bit too much: It's a great vibe more than it is a great story. Come for the narrative, stay for the out-of-this-world road trip.

I may try halo infinite again. I enjoyed it but always kept dying.
Don't worry about kills and deaths (unless that's literally the objective of the mode) in online games. I played about 25 days worth of the original Modern Warfare 2 and had 10,000 more deaths than kills when all was said and done.

FF7's a weird one for me. I played it for the first time in... 2021, maybe? Think I decided to pick it up after Sephiroth got announced for Smash. And at first I thought "OK this is decent, I kinda get what people could see in this if they were 12 years old in 1997"

Then once you're out of Midgar I feel like the whole thing just falls off a cliff and, while it has its moments, never really gets back to the highs of that opening act. IMO the story's poorly told and just not that compelling compared to the eco-terrorist angle they started with, figuring out where you need to go on the world map often feels directionless and uninuitive, and the moment-to-moment gameplay is just kinda mid (esp. compared to other 90s Square RPG).

Now with some more distance, I do feel almost nostalgic for the general vibes of FF7, but I'm still kinda scratching my head and feeling a smidge bitter that that's the 90s Squeenix game that blew up and became the RPG template for decades when Chrono Trigger was right there (I guess that's the power of high production values and Sony marketing?)

FF7 is one of my all time favorite games but everything after Northern Crater is definitely the weakest stuff, story-wise. It's just kind of all over the place and then the game just goes "okay, time to wrap it all up, go to the final dungeon."

FF7's a weird one for me. I played it for the first time in... 2021, maybe? Think I decided to pick it up after Sephiroth got announced for Smash. And at first I thought "OK this is decent, I kinda get what people could see in this if they were 12 years old in 1997"

Then once you're out of Midgar I feel like the whole thing just falls off a cliff and, while it has its moments, never really gets back to the highs of that opening act. IMO the story's poorly told and just not that compelling compared to the eco-terrorist angle they started with, figuring out where you need to go on the world map often feels directionless and uninuitive, and the moment-to-moment gameplay is just kinda mid (esp. compared to other 90s Square RPG).

Now with some more distance, I do feel almost nostalgic for the general vibes of FF7, but I'm still kinda scratching my head and feeling a smidge bitter that that's the 90s Squeenix game that blew up and became the RPG template for decades when Chrono Trigger was right there (I guess that's the power of high production values and Sony marketing?)
I don't think it's that surprising that FF7 is the one that blew up. For one, in addition to everything you said, CT wasn't released in PAL regions. Also, FF7's weird mindbendy story, mix of cyberpunk/fantasy/anime aesthetics, and sheer scope and size of the game were big deals at the time. FF7 really captured a lot of people's excitement with early 3D, the mix of visuals, direction, and storytelling was genuinely novel. CT was never going to compare to that as a late SNES game with a limited global release.

Much to my pleasant surprise tonight, Ubisoft did a solid for once. When they took down the online functionality for the latest (and possibly final) Might & Magic games they were actually able to get the games into an offline mode so the games remained playable. Which is really freaking cool because VI had been in a quasi-broken state for years due to something going sideways on the online server which was blocking some of the profile stuff from working.

How you liking the music?
This has been in regular rotation for the last two months:

In other words, “I like it very much”.

Thinking of cleaning out my pickle jar when I finish the last couple and use it for making a batch of pickled Daikon from scratch

Cross gen? With what? I don't think the PS6 will be out in 2027 .... and Square has already said that's when they're aiming for the game. Honestly if it comes out 2028 even I don't expect it to be crossgen, more likely they'll pull a FF7R again and have it release just before the new consoles then sell an upgrade.

sharing this for no reason other than it got a good laugh out of me

kBBCQfP.gif

While I have a more positive experience with the game, I definitely feel this way to some degree. The Midgar segment kept me glued to my seat all the way up to the motorcycle chase, I saw the hype. I was still engaged after the overworld opened up, but I think my interest started to wane a bit after Cosmo Canyon. I haven't played the game in over a month, but I left off after Rocket Town and I know I'm not even at the halfway point, yet, so maybe things will turn around if I stick to it.

Back
Top Bottom