• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Modern Games, Future Remakes

kirbyfan407

Twinkle Popo
Pronouns
He/Him/His
What games from the last decade do you think are destined to get a remake in the next 25 years? Feel free to consider all games released on 3DS, Vita, Wii U, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, Xbox Series X/S, and PS5. Let's also assume that the video game industry in the future roughly resembles what we see today with the same major players, publishers, business practices, etc. to simplify things.

For reference, here is a random selection of remakes from the last few years.
  • Another Code Recollection
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • Trials of Mana
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake / Rebirth
  • Dead Space
  • System Shock
Since the terms "remake" and "remaster" are often hotly debated, let's establish the minimum for this thread as the graphics are redone with new geometry and some gameplay content is changed, added, or removed.

In case you're curious or need more inspiration, this is what inspired this thread:

I'm currently playing through Final Fantasy XV and have been thinking about the Final Fantasy brand while I do. It struck me that while Final Fantasy VII is currently getting a remake and Final Fantasy IX has been rumored for one, I think Final Fantasy XV would benefit from one but perhaps never will get it due to its somewhat muted reception despite its high sales numbers. Considering Final Fantasy, the most recent game in the franchise where I think "This game might get a remake one day because it's so popular" is Final Fantasy X, which came out in 2001. So I wondered if this franchise or others had any modern games that were destined for a remake.

A lot of the 3DS library are probably good candidates, especially with the odd screen factor and its games being unavailable nowadays. The main Pokémon games from it probably will, as well as the Fire Emblem games from it (although with how long it’s been since Echoes and how Genealogy’s remake still isn’t announced, this could take longer).

Kind of cheating here, but Persona 4 Golden (a PS Vita version of a PS2 game) will definitely get a remake at some point in the near-future, especially after how successful P3 Reload was.

Interesting thread! Not within the next 25 but BOTW will likely get total remake 30-40 years from now. It's a foundational title in the same way OOT was and a huge sales success.

Every Pokemon game will get remade eventually, and I can't lie, I can't wait to see Scarlet & Violet look good in 15-20 years. Maybe they'll even run good too.
It's beating a dead horse at this point, but it's still such a bummer that one of my favourite Pokemon games just had absurd technical issues that brought it down in nearly every way.

I think there’s a big difference between remakes of games that either aren’t available any more, or have controls that could do with updating, or where a remake could make some tangible improvements for QOL, and the more pointless modern remastering of modern games to for slightly better fidelity in a new full price box.

The ones I think that are worth doing are largely DS/3DS games.
Kid Icarus Uprising- a great concept that needs a reworked control system to work on twin-stick systems, plus also consideration for the loss of stylus targeting
Zelda: PH/ST- I loved the stylus controls for movement and combat, but I could see them being reworked for a stick and buttons one day rather than leave them on DS.
Etrian Odyssey 4/5/Nexus
Seeing as the DS ones were reworked for modern platforms, I think this seems inevitable although it won’t be anytime soon, perhaps after the vapourware that is the Switch game.

Games that are unlikely but I’d love-
Hotel Dusk/Last Window great adventure games with a great sense of style to cover for the weaker DS hardware.

I’ve been encouraged by seeing a lot of portable games gradually reworked for the Switch this gen though (Advance Wars, Ghost Trick, Etrian Odyssey, Monster Hunter Stories), so I’m probably more optimistic about this now than I was 6 years ago.

A lot of the 3DS library are probably good candidates, especially with the odd screen factor and its games being unavailable nowadays. The main Pokémon games from it probably will, as well as the Fire Emblem games from it (although with how long it’s been since Echoes and how Genealogy’s remake still isn’t announced, this could take longer).

Kind of cheating here, but Persona 4 Golden (a PS Vita version of a PS2 game) will definitely get a remake at some point in the near-future, especially after how successful P3 Reload was.

I’d say we’re already reaching that point with the 3DS Pokemon titles, since the upcoming Legends: Z-A seems to be a reimagining of XY (sort of in the same vein as FF7 Remake/Rebirth are to the original PS1 game).

It's probably cheating to say it, but The Last of Us is definitely getting remade again. But seriously, BotW remake in 15-20 years? Totally imaginable. TotK actually seems less likely given all the literal moving parts. I actually think they might do a claymation style Earthbound/Mother 2 remake in a few decades, too.

Somewhat more immediately, I have a firm belief that Xenoblade X is getting an updated re-release in the next couple years, basically the same game with maybe a postgame story chapter and some additional online bosses.

When Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga gets a remake late into the Switch 2’s lifetime, I wonder if they’ll remake Partners in Time. That game could use some work

I’m starting to think that the next general output of software will be 1:1 - one original title, one remake, per IP

Ocarina of Time is 100% getting a big budget crazy remake in the next 10 years.
Yeah I do think they’ll do this.

I also don’t know if we’ll continue to get traditional remakes for Pokémon games and instead get reimaginings — maybe this is just lack of an imagination on my part, but remaking something like SwSh seems difficult. Do you go full open world? Do you incorporate the DLC? The scale of that is so much bigger than anything GF has done so far.

I'm excited to play Fire Emblem Reawakening one day.
Awakening is a great call and there's solid precedent, but I agree with the question of when that remake could possibly release. Like with Pokemon, their pace isn't very fast. The only way I see them getting to Awakening in the next couple decades is if they start combining games that are connected by narrative (4 + 5, 6 + 7, 9 + 10). Even that might be a stretch, though. Perhaps they'd be willing to skip to Awakening for a 25th anniversary.

I agree that 3DS might be the next platform Nintendo mines for remakes on Switch 2, though I haven't seen a good list of what's currently trapped there that is likely. I can only think of a few, like the Fire Emblem games, the Pokemon games, A Link Between Worlds, and Kid Icarus Uprising. I definitely would like to see Planet Robobot return like Return to Dream Land recently did.
Every Pokemon game will get remade eventually, and I can't lie, I can't wait to see Scarlet & Violet look good in 15-20 years. Maybe they'll even run good too.
It's beating a dead horse at this point, but it's still such a bummer that one of my favourite Pokemon games just had absurd technical issues that brought it down in nearly every way.
I'm very curious about seeing the Switch Pokemon games remade in the future! Scarlet and Violet are some of the games I had in mind when writing this thread. However, their current pace of doing one remake per generation has me wondering when we'll actually see them. They're currently releasing remakes slower than they're releasing new generations, so I suspect within the next 25 years (Switch 2, 3 and 4. perhaps), we might only get up through the 3DS games. I wonder if they'll do at least two remakes on Switch 2 to start catching up.
Interesting thread! Not within the next 25 but BOTW will likely get total remake 30-40 years from now. It's a foundational title in the same way OOT was and a huge sales success.

It's probably cheating to say it, but The Last of Us is definitely getting remade again. But seriously, BotW remake in 15-20 years? Totally imaginable. TotK actually seems less likely given all the literal moving parts. I actually think they might do a claymation style Earthbound/Mother 2 remake in a few decades, too.

Somewhat more immediately, I have a firm belief that Xenoblade X is getting an updated re-release in the next couple years, basically the same game with maybe a postgame story chapter and some additional online bosses.
Hmm...I guess by the time PS6 or PS7 happens, a modern game like The Last of Us Pt. 2 is likely to get remade. Maybe it'll be a trilogy by that point that gets remade altogether.

I'm more in agreement with Elementary that BOTW is likely to get a remake in the next 10-20 years rather than the next 30-40. Ocarina of Time 3D came out 13 years after the original, and I think the remake nostalgia sweet spot is about 10-25 years after the original release. That said, obvious graphical progress is slowing down, so the value of a remake 10 years after release is dwindling. I don't think BOTW could get a remake on Switch 2 (an upgrade patch at most), so that probably takes us through 2032 at least. But something on Switch 3 or Switch 4 that's a graphical overhaul? I think that's pretty likely. When I wrote this thread, I originally included my own guesses. BOTW was my Nintendo pick. I think it will be too fondly remembered to be ignored, and I think it'll be a good candidate for an Ocarina of Time 3D type remake that makes the open world look a little prettier, pushes out the draw distance, etc. Basically makes it look like how we all remember it looking in 2017 when it's 2037. I also agree about BOTW getting remade over TOTK, but perhaps if BOTW Remake is successful enough, a Majora's Mask 3D-esque follow-up for TOTK is eventually inevitable.

Xenoblade Chronicles X does seem like another one that's likely, but I wonder how much they'll change for it. More remaster or remake is my question. Whatever form it takes, I just want it to release.
I think there’s a big difference between remakes of games that either aren’t available any more, or have controls that could do with updating, or where a remake could make some tangible improvements for QOL, and the more pointless modern remastering of modern games to for slightly better fidelity in a new full price box.

The ones I think that are worth doing are largely DS/3DS games.
Kid Icarus Uprising- a great concept that needs a reworked control system to work on twin-stick systems, plus also consideration for the loss of stylus targeting
Zelda: PH/ST- I loved the stylus controls for movement and combat, but I could see them being reworked for a stick and buttons one day rather than leave them on DS.
Etrian Odyssey 4/5/Nexus
Seeing as the DS ones were reworked for modern platforms, I think this seems inevitable although it won’t be anytime soon, perhaps after the vapourware that is the Switch game.

Games that are unlikely but I’d love-
Hotel Dusk/Last Window great adventure games with a great sense of style to cover for the weaker DS hardware.

I’ve been encouraged by seeing a lot of portable games gradually reworked for the Switch this gen though (Advance Wars, Ghost Trick, Etrian Odyssey, Monster Hunter Stories), so I’m probably more optimistic about this now than I was 6 years ago.
I definitely would like a Hotel Dusk remake collection. Hopefully Another Code Recollection sold well enough.

For 3DS and beyond, I think Kid Icarus is a really likely one to come back. It's trapped on the platform, is from a rather legendary designer, and has a positive reputation while being controversial for its control scheme. The only barrier to this is if Sakurai would want to be involved for it to happen and he doesn't find the time. Otherwise, I think this is very likely to happen at some point in the next decade or so.
Ocarina of Time is 100% getting a big budget crazy remake in the next 10 years.
I believe this is likely as well. I think it's probably a Switch 2 game. They're running out of 3D Zeldas to re-release to fill out their calendar, and assuming WWHD/TPHD eventually get repackaged (potentially as WW4K/TP4K), it'll probably just be Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask that don't have a modern, HD version available on Switch 2. I don't know how crazy it will be, but I think we'll at least get a nice looking version, potentially as a tech exploration project on Switch 2 like Wind Waker HD supposedly was on Wii U.

Pick any Sony first party title that hasn't been remade already. Actually even if it's been remade already, just have to wait longer

Is this a Dua Lipa album title
I, uhh, oh. You might be right.
Pick any Sony first party title that hasn't been remade already. Actually even if it's been remade already, just have to wait longer
There is that rumored Horizon: Zero Dawn remaster/remake coming. I personally think Bloodborne is also very likely to happen at some point in the next couple decades (perhaps PS6?). I'd definitely be happy if they revisited their PS1/PS2/PS3 games since I didn't enter the PlayStation ecosystem until PS4 and I think their releases back then were more to my tastes, but perhaps more recent successes are more likely.

a lot of you have a really stretched idea of where the last decade begins and ends...

It’s almost 11 years old but I think SMTIV will potentially be remade some day, maybe even Apocalypse alongside it.

Maybe more cynically, I believe at least one of the games in the OP will get another remake in the next 25 years. This topic does stir up the thoughts I have about how young games are and how little we can really guess about their future. Will games like RE4 continue to get remakes every 20 or so years to cater to the “right” or “modern” design sensibilities of the time? Or will they just become footnotes in the Vidya Museum while discussing the original historic releases?

At least Final Fantasy 7 tries to pull the rug out from players about its nature as a remake, haven’t played the second part so don’t know if they go further on that concept or backtrack on it all

To add more ideas, I won't be shocked if we get a NieR:Automata remake or an Elden Ring remake in the future. I think both games were too successful with great reputations to be forgotten by the people who approve video game budgets.

a lot of you have a really stretched idea of where the last decade begins and ends...
To be fair, I opened the door by allowing entire console generations beginning with 3DS, meaning my OP-defined decade started to a limited degree in 2011. It's maybe hard for people to imagine how they'll feel in the future about recent games and if that feeling will match how they already feel about games released 15-20 years ago. Also, I can understand the future seeming murky and inspiring hesitation. I can see how it's easier to reach further back and anticipate something coming sooner.

It’s almost 11 years old but I think SMTIV will potentially be remade some day, maybe even Apocalypse alongside it.
Dunno if that's especially likely. SMT4 is a partial reimagining of SMT 1, but during development they decided to cut the game in half, skipping the pre-apocalyptic part of the game. I think if they sit down to think about remaking 4, they'll end up remaking 1 instead since it's a more complete game.

As for Apocalypse I just didn't like it all that much. :ROFLMAO:

At least Final Fantasy 7 tries to pull the rug out from players about its nature as a remake, haven’t played the second part so don’t know if they go further on that concept or backtrack on it all
That's the worst part of the game though.

I'd love a proper Dark Souls remake where they address some of the issues of the second half of the game. I still adore the overall atmosphere of the game and its interconnected world and ideally these would be preserved, but with the more modern engine of DSIII/Elden Ring.

Back
Top Bottom