• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia | "What is your spaghetti policy here?"

big lantern ghost

toxic positivity
Pronouns
he/him
iWk9vyj.jpg

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a long-running, pitch-black comedy series from FXX that follows The Gang: awful people who can’t seem to help but stick together, to the detriment of...well, absolutely everyone who encounters them.

Its sixteenth (!) season begins with a two episode premiere on June 7. That's less than a week away! The first two episode titles are available: “The Gang Inflates” and “Frank Shoots Every Member of the Gang.” Sounds promising!

What are your favourite episodes or moments from the show? Have a good late night clip to share? I want to know where you land on the “Is Dennis Reynolds a serial killer?” question. If you’ve got something to say, do that Five Star Man proud: pop it on the docket and post it!

Last edited:
I haven’t watched It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia since maybe season 8 or 9 (or whatever was the last season to appear on Netflix in the US). I have Hulu now so I can catch up.

I like any pairing for Charlie and Dee. Rickety Cricket’s slow descent was 🤌.

Not in the show proper, but I really like this “behind the scenes” skit. Catherine Reitman is a treasure. 1:19 always gets me.

One of the greatest comedies ever.
Season 15 was a bust, I hope this one is a return to form.
Yeah, last season wasn't my fave. That roller rink episode that completely changes everybody's backstories was straight up bizarre lol. I'll say that I tend to enjoy even not that good Sunny more than most comedies though! The answer to success is staring them right in the face: bring the McPoyles back.

Worth watching for fans:

Danny seems like such a nice man. I hope he comes on the podcast again some time, I could listen to him talk forever (and I'm sure he has near-limitless stories to tell).

I think my favourite one so far is when they got bloodwork done and had the doctor announce the results like a contest to "see who has the better numbers"

The always sunny podcast is great. Really love the episode posted with Danny Devito. Also enjoyed the one with the actress who plays the waitress.

The always sunny podcast is great. Really love the episode posted with Danny Devito. Also enjoyed the one with the actress who plays the waitress.
I love the idea of her and Charlie being married and having roles where one has a restraining order from the other lol

Glenn Howertons wife played the pharmacist he tried to use the Dennis system on.
Lmao I also love this. The DENNIS System is one of the best, darkest eps of Sunny for sure. Absolutely terrifying look into the psyche of Dennis (in the funniest way of course)

Lmao I also love this. The DENNIS System is one of the best, darkest eps of Sunny for sure. Absolutely terrifying look into the psyche of Dennis (in the funniest way of course)
And then we get the MAC system, and then Frank's SCRAPS. But yeah super dark and fucked up episode, almost as much as "The Implication".

I love how the cast are such great kind people irl but they play the worst scum humanity has to offer on tv.

And then we get the MAC system
Fuuuuck I forgot all about Move in After Completion 😂

Been watching a few Sunnys here and there to get psyched up. Went with Chardee MacDennis last night and I have not laughed that hard in a long time.

🍺🍀 Here’s to a great premiere!

Love watching The Gang.

I need to figure out how to catch the new episodes here in Brazil. I wonder if they'll be available on Disney+.

Edit: I just discovered there seems to be no premier date set around these parts. Dammit!

Phew. I didn’t wanna be the one to have to post this but is any finding this season to be sorta…bad? I’m still holding out hope if only for the upcoming celebrity booze episode with Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul. It’ll be the first ep this season written by Rob, Charlie & Glenn. And directed by Megan Ganz! Yay Megan. I think this’ll be her first time directing if I’m not mistaken?

EDIT: I am mistaken she has directed before lol. Still!

Here are my reviews for the episodes so far this season:

The Gang Inflates
⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑
The first few minutes had me an excited for an opener with some momentum, but things slowed down pretty quickly. Some of the inflation jokes land — Dennis talking about the inflated economy and then struggling to pass Frank the paper because of the inflatable couch got me — but the well runs dry pretty quickly. Same with the revelations about Charlie’s apartment; it’s an amusing premise that just doesn’t know where to go. As if sensing the lack of momentum themselves, they throw in a running gag where Mac…eats a gigantic tub of Fancy Nuts. He’s allergic to nuts, you see, and so the nuts make him increasingly more swollen and wheezy through the episode. Not the most promising start to a season.

Frank Shoots Every Member of the Gang
⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑
Again, this episode just can’t seem to make good on its premise. Points for the Charlie plot that involves an inherited jar of teeth and the always welcome guest spots for Mac and Charlie’s moms, who as usual steal the scenes they’re in. The whole Frank shooting the Gang conceit feels really held back for a show that has dabbled both in very dark humour and in fairly grotesque violence. A let down for sure.

The Gang Gets Cursed
⭑⭑⭑⭑
I thought this episode was a straight up sore spot for Sunny. I don’t think I remember laughing a single time in this episode, and that is pretty dire. The only way I could imagine you would be laughing at this episode is if the presence of Chase Utley in frame makes you giggle with delight. They don’t actually do anything funny with him though, and the ending that unifies the cause of everyone’s “curses” falls totally flat. One of my least favourite episodes…ever.

Frank vs Russia
⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑
Alright! This is what I’m talking about. Charlie helping Frank cheat at chess against a Russian grandmaster via pulsing anal beads. YES. Mac is obsessed with a guy who always bails on him, which turns out to be Dennis catfishing him out of their apartment to get time alone. These are Sunny plots! Speaking of Dennis, his SINNED system in this episode was a great callback that would still be funny for newer viewers. The closing revelation of the system is maybe even MORE troubling than the original’s. It won’t go down as an all-timer or anything, but this is the first episode of the season that feels like a success.

Still very much looking forward to next week's ep!

Some more reviews!

Celebrity Booze: The Ultimate Cash Grab
⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑

This could not have worked without two celebrities as game as Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul, who are clearly committed and having a good time here. The Gang calling Bryan “Mr. Middle” and Aaron “Malcolm” got me time and again. Aaron immediately becoming pissed off whenever Bryan brings up his time on Broadway: also pretty funny. The main knock is once again that things don’t really develop or escalate all that much; the initial pitch the Gang comes up with for a liquor isn’t all that funny, and it all gets thrown away for a subplot where Charlie is wearing a limo driver’s hat and is confused for a limo driver. Still, plenty of amusement and some genuine laughs here. Great ending. And as absolutely base as it is, I have to admit that I laughed my ass off at a variation on the “tell Dee to shut up” bit that…makes the consternation of Dee way more intense. “Shut up!” isn’t much of a line on its own, but wait until you hear Glenn Howerton max it out here.

Risk E. Rat's Pizza and Amusement Center
⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑

In keeping with the off-target theme of this season: a Chuck E Cheese parody? I was skeptical there would be anything leftover to riff upon with such a well-worn subject, and that skepticism proved valid. Some of the minutia of how abusive Risk E. Rat’s was to children is pretty funny, but it all feels jumbled up in a “things aren’t how they used to be” treatise that simply feels aimless. Special mention to Mac having to sit in a time-out therapy session for children with a kid and a therapist dressed in a dog costume.

It’s a shortened season this year, so there are only two episodes left! That was fast. It’s…not my fave season. Despite it all, the last episode specifically is sounding preeeeeetty good:
Dennis Takes a Mental Health Day
After a physical reveals that Dennis has elevated blood pressure, he decides to take a day to de-stress at the beach; his day spirals into a domino-chain of tech and customer service challenges until he can no longer contain his rage.

I feel like you would have to go out of your way to mess up an episode based around Glenn Howerton being extremely mad, so here’s hoping we strike gold for the finish!

Friends, the last season of Sunny was maybe the worst one. But that's OK! There are still at least two more years of The Gang left to go. I'm gonna renovate the OP into a more general Sunny one.

Last edited:
Just got done with a full Always Sunny rewatch (S1-16). I kind of forgot how brilliant the show is. Took me like two months. Now what am I gonna do??

Back
Top Bottom