• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

fuck I missed this
Welcome back goat
the-return-of-the-king-lord-of-the-rings.gif

So I feel as though I didn't convey the intention behind my ban request properly, so I'd like to do so briefly. This post:

and on that note, I'm out

have fun out there gamers

Was meant as a direct followup to this one:

I'm shocked, though in an altruistic way happy, that opinions are as overwhelmingly positive in this thread as they are

we're staring down the barrel at:
  • worse battery life than any switch made since 2019
  • a worse screen than the OLED model (oh but raccoon LCD is good something something OLED grain okay whatever but it's worse imo and anecdotally to a lot of people)
  • dramatically worse portability for anyone who doesn't plan their bag organization around a single video game device
  • compute power that is, while impressive, still substantially below the series s, a system already maligned by devs
  • and perhaps worst of all, not a peep about anything actually new! unless you count a new way for the controllers to stick onto the sides which I uh ehhhh don't really sorry

not saying that you all are wrong and that I'm right, far from it in fact. I'm just bewildered at how out of phase I am with the community regarding a device that really just seems like the thing I already have made substantially worse.

it all comes down to taste I guess

I had meant to convey that I felt I had said my piece, wrapped up in one uncharacteristically clear and concise post, and that I accordingly was gracefully, albeit belatedly, recusing myself from the conversation. Some responses, such as the one from @TLZ, made it clear to me that it had come off as anything but! Rather than the quiet exit I had thought I was performing, I had given the impression of throwing a temper tantrum and saying "screw you guys, I'm going home." Worse even than that, "on that note" could alternatively imply some sort of final nail in the coffin, as it were, that I would have seemingly imagined.

I've said it before, but I am going to make an earnest effort not to post in this thread. I'll stick to reading, maybe reacting, but there is no point in me continuing to whine about a product not targeting me that I do not want. It just ruins the fun for people. That, after all, is why I thought it so important to leave.

I have some thoughts about a few other indirect responses to my actions, but I was unable to think of any respectful or productive ways to articulate them. All I ask is that the people who dislike me either leave me alone or address their feelings about me with me.

edit: one missing comma that was seriously bugging me

Last edited:
The Cortex-A78AE only supports up to 4 CPU cores per cluster.

Going by the Jetson AGX Orin and Jetson Orin Nano block diagrams, Jetson Orin has 2-3 active CPU clusters depending on the configuration.
What's the advantage of 1 8core cluster 78C offers over having 2 4Core clusters if they were to go with one of the other A78 variants?

I've read before A78C was designed for gaming, but because it's applicaiton is so sparse i haven't seen much in terms of why and how it would stack up to the x86 cores in the other home consoles.

As far as I can tell, this slide says that:

But I don't see anything about 2.5GHz. Am I missing something?.
So we don't know how much consumption is 2.3GHz for A77 is (or 2.1GHz for each A78 core) exactly..
Maybe 0.4watts? Let's say we get 7 running at 2.1GHz, and the 8th at 1-1.5GHz. Maybe a tad over watts total..
The Cortex-A78AE only supports up to 4 CPU cores per cluster.

Going by the Jetson AGX Orin and Jetson Orin Nano block diagrams, Jetson Orin has 2-3 active CPU clusters depending on the configuration.
Ah okay. But those are at least all A78s and not A55s. Having 8 in one cluster is what imagine is what gives better multi thread performance.

What's the advantage of 1 8core cluster 78C offers over having 2 4Core clusters if they were to go with one of the other A78 variants?

I've read before A78C was designed for gaming, but because it's applicaiton is so sparse i haven't seen much in terms of why and how it would stack up to the x86 cores in the other home consoles.
Has up to 8mb for L3 cache. ARM says that helps with multi thread performance, but I imagine having one 8 core cluster vs two four core clusters give better multi core or multi thread performance,.since they are all connected together and closer. Dakhil can clarify/correct me.

When people talk about difference in culture and stuff, I feel like they overestimate how much of a difference there is especially after like 2010. For example, recently there's been some controversy with Apple's iPad ad. There was quite a bit of backlash all over the world. Some people were replying in the comments that Japan has a belief that objects have soul called Tsukumogami, and that's why it's especially disheartening to Japanese people. It generated a lot of engagement and likes. However, I guarantee you Japanese people weren't thinking about tsukumogami. It wasn't that deep, most people probably saw the ad and cringed a bit just like others. When people try to explain different cultures to people, they tend to overcomplicate and overexaggerate things. So looking at your comment, I feel the same way. "They were betrayed by the 3ds" what betrayal? "Honor is a big deal" what? "in context of Japanese culture it would have been better... to justify 3d" nobody in Japan thought this way. The 3ds launch wasn't that big of a deal unless we look at specific groups of people like ones posting on 2ch. You can say the Switch went through the exact same thing. Too expensive, nobody cares about hybrid, poor software lineup, ps3 specs. There's going to be people feeling "betrayed" regardless.

I mean this respectfully but your post comes across as someone who hasn't been Japan much less Kyoto (Its very different than Tokyo) nor talked with many native Japanese people. I understand the concept of Tsukumogami (You only had it partially right btw) and its no different than how some people have fun with astrology here but very few take it as religious. I also understand and agree that the culture gap is closing between Japan and the rest of the world but traditions remain if you talk with people there that trust you enough to open up rather than "just be respectful".

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Edit: And welcome back by the way @Raccoon ! We all saw you on that soccer field fighting the good fight!

Last edited:
tbh I have no idea what you're talking about but I appreciate it

unless you just mean the fact that it's coming out in 2025, that's fine
A few months ago I was convinced there was no way it could have came out anytime after this year and when you brought up the possibility of it coming out in 2025 I dismissed it in a disrespectful manner.

A few months ago I was convinced there was no way it could have came out anytime after this year and when you brought up the possibility of it coming out in 2025 I dismissed it in a disrespectful manner.
oh yeah

well these days I tend to look at these disputes through the lens of me having just gotten """lucky.""" I wasn't right because I was smart, I was right because we're in the bad timeline

I genuinely appreciate the apology though. I can't have been too mad though because I don't remember it at all... I'm abrasive, but for most people it's just a flash in the pan

I mean this respectfully but your post comes across as someone who hasn't been Japan much less Kyoto (Its very different than Tokyo) nor talked with many native Japanese people. I understand the concept of Tsukumogami (You only had it partially right btw) and its no different than how some people have fun with astrology here but very few take it as religious. I also understand and agree that the culture gap is closing between Japan and the rest of the world but traditions remain if you talk with people there that trust you enough to open up rather than "just be respectful".
I'm well aware that Kyoto is different to Tokyo just like Texas is different to New York. However, that doesn't matter much in this context. I feel like your opinion makes sense looking at it from a shareholder perspective, but not so much from a consumer perspective. Judging by ur name, it's no surprise.

Maybe I'm not asking the right question, but, maybe @darthdiablo might know. From what we've seen in the shipping data, the device appears to be in DVT, right? It also seems to have been there for a LONG time.

I'm kind of shocked we haven't had a factory leak with actual images of any sort at this point. Surely once they're on PVT they'll want to actually officially reveal it to get ahead of any leaks, since that's the final design's first run. But unless further revisions happen, isn't that pretty soon? Given the data is behind, couldn't that be... Theoretically, now?

I wonder where that places reveal. If there's a chance they're already making final adjustments to the production line, or even testing the production design, mass production isn't too far in the future. Still, the June Direct is mere weeks away, so I'd expect that to happen first, no doubt, but we could be in for a reveal well before Fall, if they want to get ahead of possible production leaks and if (big if) it's currently barrelling towards the PVT stage of preproduction, nevermind in it.

I mean, won’t this just blow up wattage and make phones not really… phone shaped anymore?

I don’t know how you do passive cooling with stacked chips, each chip using a good bit of electricity…

Like, in a node shrink, the distance between transistors becomes smaller and thus the electricity cost goes down.

But if you just stack another chip on top… Like I don’t see where the electricity savings are coming from?
From my understanding it works much the same as a 2D set up, having chips stacked has power savings because the distance between them is small, but it uses space more efficiently. Chiplet designs also apparently allow for power savings beyond this because different chiplets can be optimized for specific things.

I'm well aware that Kyoto is different to Tokyo just like Texas is different to New York. However, that doesn't matter much in this context. I feel like your opinion makes sense looking at it from a shareholder perspective, but not so much from a consumer perspective. Judging by ur name, it's no surprise.

It matters the most in this context but that is only apparent to people who have visited both areas. Kyoto is much much more traditional as opposed to Tokyo which is much less so. Either way, I'm done engaging with this due to your last sentence. Don't quote me.

Maybe I'm not asking the right question, but, maybe @darthdiablo might know. From what we've seen in the shipping data, the device appears to be in DVT, right? It also seems to have been there for a LONG time.

I'm kind of shocked we haven't had a factory leak with actual images of any sort at this point. Surely once they're on PVT they'll want to actually officially reveal it to get ahead of any leaks, since that's the final design's first run. But unless further revisions happen, isn't that pretty soon? Given the data is behind, couldn't that be... Theoretically, now?

I wonder where that places reveal. If there's a chance they're already making final adjustments to the production line, or even testing the production design, mass production isn't too far in the future. Still, the June Direct is mere weeks away, so I'd expect that to happen first, no doubt, but we could be in for a reveal well before Fall, if they want to get ahead of possible production leaks and if (big if) it's currently barrelling towards the PVT stage of preproduction, nevermind in it.
Looked up DVT, PVT - never heard of those terms till now.

Yes, it looks like things shifted into DVT August (or September?) 2023, the numbers were in the hundreds, which seems to line up nicely with typical number of units seen for DVT in the link I shared (50-200). Here's an example from the "yellow" site (which you can see # of units without needing subscription):

qNgaBHp.png

And as of March 2024, the numbers still are similar (just hundreds, not tens of thousands). Yes, seems to be considerably longer compared to Switch timeline - at least what we're able to find in customs data anyway.

When things shift into mass production (which I assume is what PVT is), it'll be like tens of thousands of units - a huge step up logistics-wise, so leaks would be harder to contain here, yeah, this is where we would probably see Nintendo do the reveal (similar to October 2016, which was when they began mass production for Switch).

I am assuming Nintendo will start mass production earlier than October 2024, because they want plenty of units in launch day (avoid the scalper issue as much as possible). So, probably reveal in July, August, September?

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:
Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom