• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Age-wise The next The Legend of Zelda should be Eiji Aonuma's last The Legend of Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aufhebung RPG

History is tragedy becoming comedy
Please put more effort into the threads you make. Making a thread with an ageist angle is not appropriate. -BassForever, meatbag, DS, LORD Azrael, MissingNo, Zellia, blg, TC
Fujibayashi is getting old too., do they still have potential successors?

Last edited:
023.jpg

Aufhebung RPG demanding Hidemaro Fujibayashi, 51, retires

Miyazaki is 83, as long as he's still making media, Aonuma can still be inspired by it lmao

Guess I’d better give up on all my career ambitions since I’m more than halfway towards being “very old”

There are people in the +40's being college freshmen. As long as the juice is there, and the desire and health allow, things will proceed accordingly.

It's true, Eiji Aonuma himself told me the Legend of Zelda is over.
it's Zeldover 😔

Last edited:
Aonuma's like 51 years old, that's at least three new open air Zeldas he can push out.

In all seriousness I don't think it makes sense to get too hung up on a specific age number, because in any country age over 50 means entering the second half of your career, so choosing a successor is necessary.
They probably have successors. Nintendo's been good about training their devs in their ways.

In all seriousness I don't think it makes sense to get too hung up on a specific age number, because in any country age over 50 means entering the second half of your career, so choosing a successor is necessary.
This still doesn’t mean that 51 is ‘very old’. Or that you need a successor in place 20 odd years before you retire.

I dont think you meant to imply this, but suggesting something should be a dev's last game just because of their age is ageist.
No, I'm not ageist at all, but let's look at Shigeru Miyamoto, who basically retired from frontline development after 2011, and the last game he had limited involvement in frontline development was pikmin4, so for Eiji Aonuma in 2029, I think there's a real good chance that he'll be retired or at the very least, no longer in a producer position.

I mean, this is pure ageism. Fujibayashi is an average middle aged guy, and Auonuma isn't even retirement age in France. I dunno if Aonuma wants to work into his 70s, but if he does, he's certainly mentally and artistically capable to keep going for another decade.

Would Fujibiyashi step into a producer role, should Aonuma go full Creative Fellow over the next five years? Probably. The three big planners on Tears of the Kingdom (Yohei Fujino, Mari Shirakawa, Yasutaka Takeuchi) all seem to have the kind of background to step into that role. We'll see who, if anyone, is Fujibayashi's number 2 over the next few years. I'm rooting for Mari Shirakawa, if for no other reason than she came up through 2D Zelda, like Fujibiyashi did, and she also is the most senior, having directed Kirby: Mass Attack.

I mean, this is pure ageism. Fujibayashi is an average middle aged guy, and Auonuma isn't even retirement age in France. I dunno if Aonuma wants to work into his 70s, but if he does, he's certainly mentally and artistically capable to keep going for another decade.

Would Fujibiyashi step into a producer role, should Aonuma go full Creative Fellow over the next five years? Probably. The three big planners on Tears of the Kingdom (Yohei Fujino, Mari Shirakawa, Yasutaka Takeuchi) all seem to have the kind of background to step into that role. We'll see who, if anyone, is Fujibayashi's number 2 over the next few years. I'm rooting for Mari Shirakawa, if for no other reason than she came up through 2D Zelda, like Fujibiyashi did, and she also is the most senior, having directed Kirby: Mass Attack.
I would like to clear up any misunderstanding, I was not implying any age discrimination.

I'd imagine they have people already in training for that and it'll hardly be the only franchise that'll face that situation going forward. Tho it's much easier to smooth out any transition of leadership when you're not undergoing any mass layoffs in your development teams.

Tbh the only person I have harder time seeing being replaced anytime soon is Sakurai because of how unique of a person he is with his encyclopedic knowledge of videogames and his attention to details. But maybe there are already people between Nintendo and Bandai Namco more than capable of eventually taking the mantle.

Which is hardly a bad thing tbh, sometimes you need someone new to take a franchise to new heights.

This thread's premise is shaky at best, outright ageist at worst, and unlikely to lead to any productive discussion. Therefore, we are locking this thread. - Zellia, BassForever, MissingNo., Dardan Sandiego, meatbag, Tangerine_Cookie, Lord Azrael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom