• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion About "THAT" iconic JRPG rock formation

MetalLord

Koopa
who was the first to use it ? where in japan is the real place that inspired it ??
maxresdefault.jpg
image_eternal_sonata-10084-1099_0002.jpg
p9ot1wylium71.png

799dFqB.jpeg
kirby-enters-raisin-ruins-stage-one-section-two.jpg

5daa2165c73d2e5f8b40ed32283b544cc4fbef56bcd1381d.jpg

its the japanese version of the basalt formations from iceland that every western game nowadays seems to sneak in
Hofsos-Iceland-Balsalt-Columns-840x605.jpg

Last edited:
big Nightmare Before Christmas fans over in Japan, I guess

wait, what're the second and third games? i like their art styles but can't put my finger on where they come from. is the second mana...?

It's interesting visual design and world building to have a mountain be 'curved' or 'broken'.

BotW does it twice with Dueling and Hebra peaks.

004.jpg

hlt26j6gy6e11.jpg

Maybe someone just saw Arches National Park once and thought, "you know this would be cooler if it was like a proper mountain height and halved".

It's interesting visual design and world building to have a mountain be 'curved' or 'broken'.

BotW does it twice with Dueling and Hebra peaks.

004.jpg

hlt26j6gy6e11.jpg
dueling peaks inspiration is in japan
Duelling-Peaks-real-life--524x393.jpg

twilight princess springs are based on a turist spot close to mount fujii, said to be a sacred place
1178e51cd4f908b9451f2f1102bc9b64.jpg

main-qimg-1e359dbcf6f4998a34efc32c7178578f-lq

Mt. Thor in Canada is probably the closest thing we have to a mountain quite like that, although the angle is only 105°, so striking, but not a huge overhang.

There is a notable overhang in Japan, the nokogiriyama overhang. It's relatively well visited as these things go.

450px-Nokogiriyama_overhang.jpg

Japan is both mountainous and coastal, overhanging cliffs on and around mountains aren't super rare, I'm not surprised we see exaggerated depictions of them in art. And as @Neves points out below, these could also be taking inspiration from The Great Wave.

The Kirby one looking like waves makes me think of this iconic image. I doubt it's the inspiration for these, but who knows.

1280px-Tsunami_by_hokusai_19th_century.jpg

The Kirby one looking like waves makes me think of this iconic image. I doubt it's the inspiration for these, but who knows.

1280px-Tsunami_by_hokusai_19th_century.jpg
It's probably not the inspiration for all the other ones (I second the Nightmare Before Christmas guesses, since it's really popular in Japan), but I definitely think the Kirby example pulls from this. It's supposed to look like a sea of sand

big Nightmare Before Christmas fans over in Japan, I guess

worth noting that Disney infamously shunted the film to their Touchstone Pictures label (normally used for PG-13 and R-rated films prior to the Marvel/Lucasfilm/20th Century Fox purchases.) when it was initially released.
the Japanese branch never got that memo, and thanks to Tetsuya Nomura being a big enough fan of it to push for it's inclusion in Kingdom Hearts. it's been retroactively promoted as a Disney movie worldwide.

Roger Dean's footprint is pretty large in the collective unconscious, and fuck me Google image search has been totally swamped by AI slop.

Not quite the same but there's a lot of similar areas in BOTW/TotK:

Bot-W-Breach-of-Demise.png
Breach of Demise

Bot-W-Cape-Cales.png

Cape Cales

Bot-W-Shatterback-Point.png

Shatterback point

Back
Top Bottom