• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Zelda Wii U, what would become known as Breath of the Wild, was revealed 10 years ago

HockeyBird

Villager
Pronouns
He/Him
Nintendo E3 2014
June 10, 2014.

The open world. The Guardian. Link's blue tunic. We got our first glimpses here. For such a short tease, there was so much to analyze and speculate on. It felt like an eternity between this trailer and the official title announcement. Now it's crazy that it has been a decade since this trailer first came out.

I can't believe that 10 years have passed since that E3. It was the first time I watched E3 and I my eyes were glowing at each new announcement. I never got a Wii U and only got to play BotW 4.5 years after it's release, but it was just magic to me.

Forgot to mention how memorable this direct was.

Zelda reveal the biggest thing?
Nope, Iwata and Reggie fighting for a smash reveal in a goofy skit.

Also related, but this was one of the best E3s Nintendo had in my opinion. The presentation was fun with some good announcements. It's where we got the infamous Reggie vs. Iwata scene. The Treehouse format was new and in full force. Just hours and hours of actual game footage.

Also related, but this was one of the best E3s Nintendo had in my opinion. The presentation was fun with some good announcements. It's where we got the infamous Reggie vs. Iwata scene. The Treehouse format was new and in full force. Just hours and hours of actual game footage.
Yeah. I spent all E3 week watching Treehouse live. And the direct format was my favorite with devs talking about their titles. Granted it’s slower paced and not what “most exciting” since it’s a lot of translation going on. But it’s nice seeing devs talked about their games.

It was a very fun E3

hlJ2XIb.png

Man it's kind of wild how much of a naked "bullshot" this is, I still think the game(s, Tears of the Kingdom included) looks good but I'd contend it'd be hard to snapshot something that measures up to this. What a work of art.

Last edited:
I love this reveal. Talking about their thought process behind the design of this game and the history behind before showing the game is actually great. I really miss this style of presentation. The rapid fire directs are nice, but I really loved how this E3 slowed down and gave us these interviews with the teams. It was one of the reasons why I think the Splatoon reveal was so effective.

I love this reveal. Talking about their thought process behind the design of this game and the history behind before showing the game is actually great. I really miss this style of presentation. The rapid fire directs are nice, but I really loved how this E3 slowed down and gave us these interviews with the teams. It was one of the reasons why I think the Splatoon reveal was so effective.
Splatoon was also E3 2014

it was the best showcase they've ever done

I had the wide grassy shot as my computer background for months, I was so excited to see more. Good times and the hype actually paid off in-game!

I remember being in line for a Smash Wii U tournament or something when this was shown. A bunch of well known Smashers got invited and Sakurai made an appearance as well. Everyone waiting in line watched this Zelda reveal on their phone.

You just heard very loud collective “WOAH’s” across downtown Los Angeles. Wait downtown or Hollywood? It was at some theater. What ever the case, the Nintendo crowd was going nuts as everyone huddled around phones everywhere.

SNAP

"This... is the new world of Zelda."

Fuck, I get shives just thinking about it. One of the happiest E3-related moments of my entire life.

hlJ2XIb.png

Man it's kind of wild how much of a naked "bullshot" this is, I still think the game(s, Tears of the Kingdom included) looks good but I'd contend it'd be hard to snapshot something that measures up to this. What a work of art.

I actually think the entire game looked much better pre-release. It's way, way overprocessed (Much more contrast-sharp and bloomy, etc.) but I'm all for it.

Had the opening shot as my computer background as well for a while.

I got chills and honestly, I think I shed a tear. I couldn't believe it. The artstyle was everything I could hope for.
The end result didn't look that good imo, but the game surprised me in so many other ways.
I loved that they commited to only a subtle soundtrack, in favour for all the nature sounds.
I was not sure about the open world gameplay either, after all the boring checkmark games that came out in this genre.
But they delivered on that as well.

hlJ2XIb.png

Yeah, I'm still hoping that with switch 2 something like this would be closer to the reality. (Probably even better)

For some reason the time between announcement and release was much larger in my head. It might’ve been since I was a kid back then, I remember faking being ill so I could watch E3 that year haha.
This trailer is so ingrained in my mind I remember screaming when Link jumped up and shot the ancient arrow.

I also remember a lot of people being mad about the two year delay, but compared to tears and so many other AAA releases these days it’s kinda wild how much longer development cycles have become.

hlJ2XIb.png

I'm very happy with how the final game ended up looking, but if a next-gen patch can bring Breath of the Wild up to this level I wouldn't complain.

The vibes from that Direct and especially the Treehouse streams for the next few years were great. I hope we get something similar for Switch 2 although without the E3 showfloor it will probably lose some of the charm.

This trailer, I think, is the only time Nintendo ever revealed a major title with a CG "bullshot". Very obviously this was not a fully realized game (even the 2014 gameplay demo didn't have climbing!). Still, this was striking at the time.

Also never forget Aonuma's "who said that was Link?" tidbit from a Q&A. such a troll.

hlJ2XIb.png

Yeah they had to settle for some downgrades. Hope the keep the aesthetic and deliver something even more beautiful than this on Switch 2.

Someone post a gif of that E3 stampede rushing to play Zelda U while the Sony (?) guy in the middle of it raises his arms up in the air.

SNAP

"This... is the new world of Zelda."

Fuck, I get shives just thinking about it. One of the happiest E3-related moments of my entire life.

I actually think the entire game looked much better pre-release. It's way, way overprocessed (Much more contrast-sharp and bloomy, etc.) but I'm all for it.

As one of the few dozens of WiiU-Owners that also only played the game on WiiU... I still wish we got a version with all the cool gamepad features.

Watched Kyle Bosman's reaction to this yesterday and this is easily one of the best game reveals of all time, even with the fake footage. Honestly it's insane how much of what Aonuma said actually ended up being true for Botw. And having a developer so clearly explain the intent of the team AND that intent being so appealing is refreshing too.

Probably Nintendo most influential game in their history.

Since it’s the game that pushed the Switch into success and also was the game that changed most people perspective of Nintendo games.

Yeah they had to settle for some downgrades. Hope the keep the aesthetic and deliver something even more beautiful than this on Switch 2.
I think they'll change the aesthetic, but not the underlying tech. Nintendo doesn't let success keep them on a straight path

Looking back, the visuals didn't take that much of a hit, the most BS thing however is how useful the horse mechanics look in the trailer lol

It has to be said that BOTW was the one that really made Nintendo return to mainstream prominence again, Nintendo had been very prominent in game design up until that point, however it lacked an entry that would make a splash in the mainstream gaming scene.BOTW did the job well, and there is a good chance that before the next Zelda launches, the 3d Mario, which has been dormant for almost 8 years, will also be a hit, with both the Tokyo group and the EPDs being the gameplay Masters of design

Splatoon was also E3 2014

it was the best showcase they've ever done
Mario Maker too, if memory serves (though it probably should've been held for 2015). 2014's Digital Event is on top for me too, even if revealing some things here made the 2015 one more boring (Yoshi's Woolly World got long spotlights at both, and 2014 was Xenoblade X's second of three E3s lmao).

Agreeing with everyone else that this was Nintendo’s best E3 showcase to date, which is doubly impressive given it was during the Wii U era.

Fuck I forgot that Mario Maker was also revealed here. This presentation was stacked.

Also, the build up to Smash 4's release is still my favorite. I was locked in for every announcement and every picture Sakurai posted on the Smash website.

This trailer, I think, is the only time Nintendo ever revealed a major title with a CG "bullshot". Very obviously this was not a fully realized game (even the 2014 gameplay demo didn't have climbing!). Still, this was striking at the time.

Also never forget Aonuma's "who said that was Link?" tidbit from a Q&A. such a troll.

Oh yeah, the 2014 demo had a classic climbing vine at one place, where you probably could climb.

I suspect that was before Aonuma stormed into the planning room and was like "Climb EEEEEVERYTHIIIIIING!!"

Funny how people are overlooking how this was the E3 where it was announced Miyamoto was working on a new Star Fox...that later became known as Star Fox Zero.

Well, on a more positive note, this was the E3 where Miis, Palutena and Pac-Man all got announced for Smash 4. Not to diss my gal Pally, but it's still pretty funny and wild how she got the big spotlight at the end instead of the Pacster, who was revealed behind doors later that day.

I like in the early 2010s after skyward sword Nintendo employees in interviews were pretty blatant about what was next for Zelda like I remember a quote basically saying a revisit of alttp was coming before albw was announced, and Aonuma all but confirmed that besides being open world that the first hd zelda would be more different and not just twilight princess in a bigger scale which is what I expect from an hd open world Zelda.

Back
Top Bottom