• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews Xenoblade Chronicles 3 | Review Thread (see staff post)

There is a Xenoblade title definitely on the verge of having a Metascore of 90 but that's XBDE and not XB3.
Alas, neither of them will get there.

The critics are waiting for Xenoblade 2 Remastered. The first 123/100 MC ever.

5/5

giphy-downsized.gif

Last edited:
Not to put any pressure on them, but are Easy Allies still doing a review? If they are, no problem with the wait. Take your time Damiani.

4/5

9.2/10

Well I don’t think anyone is surprised by this.

5/10

That 90s dream is dead and buried deap in the ditch lol. Also the game must have been very close to a 90 for a 5/10 not to drag the score down at all.

Last edited:
BWAHAHAHA! This is less of "the 90 dream is dead" and more of Slant being sh*tty reviewers as usual. I don't understand why they still count.
Just because they don't fall in line with consensus doesn't mean they're by default a shitty reviewer. This is a terrible take.

I don't agree with the review, but nothing about it seemed egregious to me. They just didn't like the game, which is totally fine.

They make some valid criticisms that in fact I complained about already here, like:

"The enemy design is great, with a real sense of escalation between tiny fodder-like creatures that you can beat down and their larger, named brethren that you’ll have to return to slay much later on in the game. But all of these enemies are dispatched in the exact same way, with your party mindlessly auto-attacking with occasional input from whichever character you’re controlling."

This is a main issue in the whole series. Enemies don't matter, just their level. All of them are fought the same way. Be it aquatic, moebius, flying type... for such a variety, the weight of these differentiations from a gameplay perspective is close to no existent at all. Which is a shame because, as said there, enemy design is great.

They make some valid criticisms that in fact I complained about already here, like:

"The enemy design is great, with a real sense of escalation between tiny fodder-like creatures that you can beat down and their larger, named brethren that you’ll have to return to slay much later on in the game. But all of these enemies are dispatched in the exact same way, with your party mindlessly auto-attacking with occasional input from whichever character you’re controlling."

This is a main issue in the whole series. Enemies don't matter, just their level. All of them are fought the same way. Be it aquatic, moebius, flying type... for such a variety, the weight of these differentiations from a gameplay perspective is close to no existent at all. Which is a shame because, as said there, enemy design is great.
Yeah ok but that’s not true. I think Xenoblade allowing people to level up too easily (by avoiding traditional rpg grind) in the game esp in 3 is getting to people‘s brains. Most enemies have different status effects and inflict different kinds of damage. There are gems available (specific to each enemy types) and set ups you can do to win fights faster or live longer against certain enemies. That’s the whole point of the series. 3 is the least spongiest by far. Might be the easiest Xenoblade. I remember complaints about XC2 being spongy and enemies one shoting you. I’ve never understood those complaints because the whole point of xenoblade combat is to maximize the damage output and avoid death. Essentially, if you’re good you win fights faster and staying alive long enough to output damage. High HP isn’t necessarily a bad thing since you suppose to show how fast you can chip at it. If you’re slow, it just means you’re bad honestly not that the game is “spongy”. If enemies/bosses die super quickly, then what’s the point? It’s not a reflex based game at all. It’s more about managing the combat itself. A lot of enemies have different status effects that hinder you in different ways so you have to change your set up. And all of the Moebuis literally have different unique powers that affect combat.

Levels are just a safety net for people who want to brute force each encounter. I think Xenoblade 3 letting people getting over leveled very easily negates some of the enemies combat effects. People saying each fight is the same are probably 10 or 20 levels higher than the recommended level. This isn’t even unique to Xenoblade either it’s all rpgs lol. The Bonus Exp is a bonus but of course most people just use it all the time anyways. Thankfully, hard mode is there but I do think they need to patch the leveling down option back in.

Another thing that might confuse people‘s brain is the fact that Xenoblade is straddling the line between real time and “turn based”. So some of the enemies combat effects are just an icon or a glow. There are no hitboxes, projectiles, or any patterns for the player to dodge. No real time physical hindrance most of the time. There are some but It’s mostly numbers and effects. Some people don’t pay attention and then die and then not knowing why they die. And then they think all encounter is the same. Maybe if they turn the ”status” effects into something more tangible that might have helped. Some enemies do knock you or slow “bog” you or whatever I think more of that might help. But then again, some people might not like those. I’ve heard complaints about that. Some of the physical hindrance aren’t flavorble within the community.

Last edited:
Yeah ok but that’s not true. I think Xenoblade allowing people to level up too easily (by avoiding traditional rpg grind) in the game esp in 3 is getting to people‘s brains. Most enemies have different status effects and inflict different kinds of damage. There are gems available (specific to each enemy types) and set ups you can do to win fights faster or live longer against certain enemies. That’s the whole point of the series. 3 is the least spongiest by far. Might be the easiest Xenoblade. I remember complaints about XC2 being spongy and enemies one shoting you. I’ve never understood those complaints because the whole point of xenoblade combat is to maximize the damage output and avoid death. Essentially, if you’re good you win fights faster and staying alive long enough to output damage. High HP isn’t necessarily a bad thing since you suppose to show how fast you can chip at it. If you’re slow, it just means you’re bad honestly not that the game is “spongy”. If enemies/bosses die super quickly, then what’s the point? It’s not a reflex based game at all. It’s more about managing the combat itself. A lot of enemies have different status effects that hinder you in different ways so you have to change your set up. And all of the Moebuis literally have different unique powers that affect combat.

Levels are just a safety net for people who want to brute force each encounter. I think Xenoblade 3 letting people getting over leveled very easily negates some of the enemies combat effects. People saying each fight is the same are probably 10 or 20 levels higher than the recommended level. This isn’t even unique to Xenoblade either it’s all rpgs lol. The Bonus Exp is a bonus but of course most people just use it all the time anyways. Thankfully, hard mode is there but I do think they need to patch the leveling down option back in.

Another thing that might confuse people‘s brain is the fact that Xenoblade is straddling the line between real time and “turn based”. So some of the enemies combat effects are just an icon or a glow. There are no hitboxes, projectiles, or any patterns for the player to dodge. No real time physical hindrance most of the time. There are some but It’s mostly numbers and effects. Some people don’t pay attention and then die and then not knowing why they die. And then they think all encounter is the same. Maybe if they turn the ”status” effects into something more tangible that might have helped. Some enemies do knock you or slow “bog” you or whatever I think more of that might help. But then again, some people might not like those. I’ve heard complaints about that. Some of the physical hindrance aren’t flavorble within the community.

I played the game on hard mode and every encounter it's basically the same, even if I am not over levelled because I didn't use the free extra exp of the camps. Even the super bosses that are 20 levels over you can be defeated the same way.

As you say, all is limited to maximize damage and avoid dead. Which can be translated to: controlling agro. There isn't any more strategy than that in the game.

Enemy types don't matter at all. Yes, you can have items that maximize damage to specific enemy types, but a +100% damage ring to flying type enemies is not strategy. It's just the annoyance of changing your held item depending if you are fighting a type of enemy. But you know what? Even that is irrelevant at all because you can have lunar rings for +100% damage for fusion arts which works the same as damage output for any type of enemy.

In this cycle of maximizing damage and avoiding dead, every enemy is fought the same way. Debuffs in the game are broken in a bad way, they basically don't work on most bosses and super bosses. And buffs are broken in a positive way. So, this simplifies the combar even more and makes the optim way to fight all the same for every existing enemy. You just need a pair of signifiers spamming buffs to the party every second with a power charge art as a master art and a thaumaturge that negates the enemy debuffs in your party with a barrier so whatever the enemy inflicts you it doesn't matter. There, you negated every enemy differentiation and just won every battle the same way.

Then you just use a zephyr with high evasion and high aggro so the enemy can't hit your party and two attackers inflicting high damage. You don't even need to combo, just use a crit build and span those power charges received by the signifier with the two most high damage arts you have... Crit build are broken in every game of the series Nd melt bosses.

And the end is all reduced to that. The biggest enemy you have is controlling aggro, not the enemy debuffs which are irrelevant. But basically with arts that allow you to reduce all your aggro and others to multiply it in your high evasion guardian... It's not issue and every enemy is fought the exact same way.

That not talking about cheese starts of full invincible parties or non stop combos without touching your controller not allowing the boss to do anything...

Last edited:
Ma’am, you need to post a video of you fighting a super boss doing a specific build coz I’m not believing a word you just said. Your verbiage can be applied to any game. Enemies do matter in the game not only that but the number of enemies as well. A mob of enemies will absolutely force you to change arts to a more AOE ones or you can just ignore and brute force it. The game lets you do that which you clearly DID judging by your “post”.

I don’t want to post a whole essay. Where do you find those classes and items in your playthrough? You’re speaking from a perspective of someone who has all the items and everything available. Every rpg can be reduced to that and you can one shot everything as long as you have the right moves, items or whatever. Pokémon typings don’t matter either after a certain level.

What if you don’t have those items? Or the hero class? You play the game to get rewards through progression make things easier. Every game has cheese builds. That‘s part of the gameplay loop.

Since you like Zelda, is there a difference between fighting ganon directly and fighting after the four Devine beasts and the shrines? You tell me.

Last edited:
I think you're missing the point. Fights like Nameless Sentinel in 2, that golden plant in Torna, and M in this game are outliers. Enemies generally don't have unique abilities that require specific strategy to defeat. At best, they have some sort of deadly art that you need to avoid/mitigate. Or they're high in a specific stat (agility or physical defence). Or they have Doom or Elemental Awakening or a ridiculous Spike of some kind, all three of which are imo the wrong kind of gimmick.

Often times "specific strategy" means having the right equipment before battle, not what you do in it. This was at its worst in the first game.

The combat system in these games is fantastic, but they rarely create enemies that do it justice.

Pokémon typings don’t matter either after a certain level.

I mean, yeah if you are over levelled and you are playing against a CPU. In Xenoblade typing don't matter even if you are 20 levels down in the post game...

Ma’am, you need to post a video of you fighting a super boss doing a specific build coz I’m not believing a word you just said. Your verbiage can be applied to any game. Enemies do matter in the game not only that but the number of enemies as well. A mob of enemies will absolutely force you to change arts to a more AOE ones or you can just ignore and brute force it. The game lets you do that which you clearly DID judging by your “post”.

I don’t want to post a whole essay. Where do you find those classes and items in your playthrough? You’re speaking from a perspective of someone who has all the items and everything available. Every rpg can be reduced to that and you can one shot everything as long as you have the right moves, items or whatever. Pokémon typings don’t matter either after a certain level.

What if you don’t have those items? Or the hero class? You play the game to get rewards through progression make things easier. Every game has cheese builds. That‘s part of the gameplay loop.

Since you like Zelda, is there a difference between fighting ganon directly and fighting after the four Devine beasts and the shrines? You tell me.

I have a hard time not understanding what you don't find believable there... I mean, I told you a simple party composition that can break every boss. You can go and try it.

Are you talking about the items? Because the best ones, like the lunae rings or the saturni rings are clearly identified by the game as the "Legacy of the Seven". But it doesn't matter, go make a team that creates buffs all the time since they are OP, get someone to create a weakness barrier from time to time so the enemy debuffs don't matter and get two crit attackers and a zephyr for high evasion defense and you win.

Note that I didn't specify what enemy you should be fighting because it just doesn't matter. All are fought the same. Again, this is the main issue of the series from a combat perspective. Enemies are just sponges and they only difference when you have an adequate party is how long it takes to take them down. Not how challenging they are from a strategic point of view.

I think you're missing the point. Fights like Nameless Sentinel in 2, that golden plant in Torna, and M in this game are outliers. Enemies generally don't have unique abilities that require specific strategy to defeat. At best, they have some sort of deadly art that you need to avoid/mitigate. Or they're high in a specific stat (agility or physical defence). Or they have Doom or Elemental Awakening or a ridiculous Spike of some kind, all three of which are imo the wrong kind of gimmick.

Often times "specific strategy" means having the right equipment before battle, not what you do in it. This was at its worst in the first game.

The combat system in these games is fantastic, but they rarely create enemies that do it justice.
The Moebuis have unique abilities. Shania freezes you in place. M can control you. G will grab and knock you, Z will stop you from interlinking, etc.
Either way, saying every enemy encounter is the same is egregious and hyperbolic. This “criticism” can be said to any RPG.

I mean, yeah if you are over levelled and you are playing against a CPU. In Xenoblade typing don't matter even if you are 20 levels down in the post game...

I have a hard time not understanding what you don't find believable there... I mean, I told you a simple party composition that can break every boss. You can go and try it.

Are you talking about the items? Because the best ones, like the lunae rings or the saturni rings are clearly identified by the game as the "Legacy of the Seven". But it doesn't matter, go make a team that creates buffs all the time since they are OP, get someone to create a weakness barrier from time to time so the enemy debuffs don't matter and get two crit attackers and a zephyr for high evasion defense and you win.

Note that I didn't specify what enemy you should be fighting because it just doesn't matter. All are fought the same. Again, this is the main issue of the series from a combat perspective. Enemies are just sponges and they only difference when you have an adequate party is how long it takes to take them down. Not how challenging they are from a strategic point of view.
You haven‘t answered my Zelda question? How’s the bokoblin encounter after doing the all the Shrines and Devine Beasts?

The Moebuis have unique abilities. Shania freezes you in place. M can control you. G will grab and knock you, Z will stop you from interlinking, etc.
Either way, saying every enemy encounter is the same is egregious and hyperbolic. This “criticism” can be said to any RPG.

Does it matter? Not at all... It's just a pause in the fight for 10 seconds while that happens and then you go on with the same plan as with every other boss.

It's not hyperbolic, it's the way it is.

Also, I didn't play BOTW neither I understand why is important in the discussion. It's you doing the comparison with Zelda and Pokémon. I am just addressing the problems with Xenoblade combat and the lack of impact of different enemies.

Last edited:
Does it matter? Not at all... It's just a pause in the fight for 10 seconds while that happens and then you go on with the same plan as with every other boss.

It's not hyperbolic, it's th way it is.

Also, I didn't play BOTW neither I understand why is important in the discussion.
But here’s the thing since the game isn’t reflex based. The fail state is more or less with time and how much damage you can output. So, yes it does matter. The boss can wipe you while you’re not doing damage. You can’t just go with “the same plan”. Bosses/enemies also have different enraged times. It’s a big signal on where to do your chain attacks so you don’t get wiped and there are also burst combos that can do to negate that, etc, etc. Strategies..you know. That is the real time strategy conducting your team and time all the arts and chain attacks. The back end strategy is your team comp and builds.

Or you can do none of that and just level up or use some Op items and builds. The game also lets you do that. Saying all encounter is the same is absolutely hyperbolic when you chose that yourself. It’s actaully made more clear with your ”post”. I’ve never felt the lack of ”impact” of enemies in this game and I’m just elaborating that. In fact, so do many other reviewers. Good for you for picking that one review and standing behind it tho.

Anyway, this discussion is going in circles.

Last edited:
But here’s the thing since the game isn’t reflex based. The fail state is more or less with time and how much damage you can output. So, yes it does matter. The boss can wipe you while you’re not doing damage. You can’t just go with “the same plan”. Bosses/enemies also have different enraged times. It’s a big signal on where to do your chain attacks so you don’t get wiped and there are also burst combos that can do to negate that, etc, etc. Strategies..you know.

Or you can do none of that and just level up or use some Op items and builds. The game lets you do that. Saying all encounter is the same is absolutely hyperbolic when you chose that yourself. It’s actaully made more clear with your ”post”.

Anyway, this discussion is going in circles.

Fail state is not with time at all. Fail state is whenever the rage falls down to your attacker and not your defender. So, the boss won't wipe you when you are NOT doing damage, the problem is when you do too much damage. It's the only thing that matters in combat. In fact, wanting to finish the fight quicker is riskier than doing it slowly which is... Whatever.

But whenever that happens just use an interlink or call for a chain attack and then go on for there again. If you call that "strategy", fine I guess... for me it isnt. And whatever, it would be the same for every enemy and boss, which is what is being discussed here. The lack of differentiation from different enemies and how all of them are fought the same.

You didn't feel it? Fine, I did. And the guys at Slant did it also. It's you calling other opinions hyperbolic and doubting others words what's causing this.

I am telling you that every boss can be fought the same and succed in doing so. I am telling you how. It's not even an invencibility cheese strat with Mio, but a regular way of playing. Not even about items, because if I am not using the most powerful one that makes 100% extra damage I can use the one doing 80% and is even safer in combat. If you want to think that enemies are clearly different and have an impact on combat from a strategic point of view, you can. From my experience, they didn't have any.

Last edited:
Ma’am, you can have a team of defenders and healers. They can all take aggro. No one can die. That is another strategy that you can make. The fail state in these type of games have always been “time” even if they don’t show it. All these MMOs have dps checks and time challenges to see how fast you can take down a boss. And the boss is designed around that. Strategies are made to maximize damage output or like I said staying alive along enough to make more damage. Risks and rewards. These are broadest of strokes of course, there’s other stuff but I don’t want to type an essay. You seem to argue the same thing when you have the best builds and items already. Not everyone has access to that. The game (all RPGs) is designed around you gradually getting better items. The fault you’re criticizing the game for isn’t really valid because it’s literally genre wide. Also I see having wacky and broken builds in Xenoblade as a positive thing. The game provides the flexibility to do so. Of course, by doing so you‘re lowering the difficulty of the game..yourself.

You seem to want Xenoblade to be a platformer and some other action type of game where stats are mostly irrelevant and boss patterns are more important but that’s not the type the game this is. The same can be said about the Slant reviewer lol.

Last edited:
It's not genre wide.
"Take out the healer first or the fight will never end"
"Cripple the enemy by targeting these specific bits first or you're going to have a bad time"
"But if you destroy this bit, the enemy will gain access to a powerful fuck-off laser attack"
"Use ether attacks only to destroy this shield because using physical attacks just make it stronger"
"Kill the enemy before it completes the very long wind up to Bullshit Attack"
"Match element to enemy"
"Don't attack when the enemy is in this phase because all damage will reflect"
"Boss grows stronger with each underling you kill, so try to focus on the boss only"

Etc.
Obviously not all of the above can be translated to the Xenoblade system.
Sometimes there is some element of this in Xenoblade but it's usually completely minor. Ie, targeting the healer first isn't essential even if you're underlevelled (and might be a waste of time because of how often defenders can target lock you anyway).

But there is a whole host of things that could make the gameplay more dynamic. That other JRPGs have been doing since the very beginning.

It’s absolutely genre wide. Over leveling crushing mobs and boss is an RPG staple. This is why there’ve been countless discussions towards level scaling whether it’s good or bad. How it impacts difficulty curve. In a sense circling back to this discussion, it can undermine certain gameplay design/ “strategy”.

Xenoblade does NOT lack boss variety or gameplay dynamic whatever ya’ll implying. It being an RPG and stats based made it easier for people to miss “certain challenges” when they’re over leveled. That is genre wide. I refuse to believe that he’s cruising through bosses in this game on hard at the same level. It is simply not possible.

Last edited:
And go on and on with over levelling. Levelling has nothing to do in this discussion and yes, there is an evident lack of combat variety because every boss enemy can be defeated the same.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what video is meant to showcase, proves the point of the person you're arguing with if anything.
Not the best video example I admit lol. He explained his strats and team comp. The boss does gradually gets more difficult but he didn’t show that in the video. Superbosses are mainly dps checks anyway but you still needs to change your comp as the difficulty increases.

The person i was responding to was saying how he was level 99 fighting super bosses. I saw what he wrote before the edit.

Last edited:
Not the best video example I admit lol. He explained his strats and team comp. The boss does gradually gets more difficult but he didn’t show that in the video. Superbosses are mainly dps checks anyway but you still needs to change your comp as the difficulty increases.

The person i was responding to was saying how he was level 99 fighting super bosses. I saw what he wrote before the edit.
99 level is the cap in the game. You can see it in that video also, he is level 99 in most fights, so... what?

Also, Enel's video just proves my point as Leica has said, so I don't understand what's your point with it?

The discussion is not about levelling, which is a non-issue even if you want to believe it is. There is a 120 level boss in the game, so overlevelling is in fact impossible with superbosses.

Last edited:
Kilocorn Grandeps - Key Points
  • Has good Block rate and an AoE attack that inflicts Break

Beat Perilwing Ryuho - Key Points​

• Has very high evasion. Dexterity accessories or accessories/Arts that directly improves accuracy are necessary for Attackers
  • Can spread your team and leave your Attackers and Healers open. Make use of the Follow Leader tactic to regroup

The King-Kings - Key Points​

• Duo Unique monster
  • Can summon lv100 monsters. Prepare strong AoE Arts
  • Can inflict Target-Lock, forcing the affected ally to target the boss
  • Interlinking and Ouroboros Orders are disabled througout the fight so your best bet at dealing massive damage is getting a high damage multiplier in Chain Attacks

Dreadwyrm Nizoont - Key Points​

• Can apply Invincible buff to itself that can persist even during Chain Attacks. Wait for the "shield" icon below its HP bar to disappear before using powerful attacks
Here are some of the boss abilities. I see nothing wrong with this at all. Enel was showing the location and his team comp for the bosses. *HIS . It’s not for all difficulties. You don’t have to follow it as you can use a variety of other heroes and arts to better or worse success. Anyways, the discussion wasn’t even about post game superbosses.

I got knocked several times with the bosses in this game on hard that I had to lower the difficulty. Shifting my team around. The whole every encounter being the same is absolute falsehood. And I will do my best to correct this falsehood. This shall not be the perception of the game that anyone can just claim without repercussions. It should not be because it’s not true lol. The game may have other problems but enemy variety and boss designs is NOT one of them.

Last edited:
Kilocorn Grandeps
Equip chaotic memory or maximum voltage.

Beat Perilwing Ryuho​

Equip carbon gloves or use high dexterity attacker classes.

Dreadwyrm Nizoont​

Equip Twin Moons. Or don't. Invincibility doesn't last that long.

This just reinforces the point. You might have to tweak your load out here or there, but what you do during the battle doesn't change all that much, if at all. And these are post-game super bosses. Throughout the main story there's nothing that requires you to change your strategy or how you're playing.

Plus chain attacks delete any enemy from like 80% health no matter what your setup is anyway.

Equip Twin Moons. Or don't. Invincibility doesn't last that long.

This just reinforces the point. You might have to tweak your load out here or there, but what you do during the battle doesn't change all that much, if at all. And these are post-game super bosses. Throughout the main story there's nothing that requires you to change your strategy or how you're playing.

Plus chain attacks delete any enemy from like 80% health no matter what your setup is anyway.
You give an example of using twin moons as a counter to invincibility as a bad thing when it's exactly what you say you wish they would do in the second bolded part. Doing something different in battle, responding to something the enemy did with an appropriate art.

In the other poster's example, the duration of invincibility doesn't matter that much. They were saying it was just something to watch out for to make sure you wait a bit before unloading a power art. If I used Cross Impact and then saw the enemy cast invincibility, I'd consider it worth waiting a second for it to wear off before using Inferno Dance fused with Hidden Thorn and wasting my power charge. Yea, I'd do that fusion in a couple of seconds once it wears off anyway, but that's still putting thought into when to use the art and paying attention to what the enemy is doing.

Cooldown/recharge systems are all about how best to spend the art before you can use it again, if invincibility only last two seconds, it's still worth paying attention and waiting because it might be twenty seconds before I can attempt a power charged fusion again.

There's some other quirky mechanics that you have to pay attention to when a reaction is getting 'No Effect' instead of 'Resisted' because during certain arts, enemies will be immune to break while the art animation is in effect. The big mech you fight in Valdi's hero quest is like that. And of course you have all the positioning around different attacks' AOEs and there're times when you'll want to use the follow command to move your party out of AOEs, and plenty of times where you have to choose the right moment to interlink. I won't say it's perfect and they could keep improving, and I think the first game is probably still the best at having more reactive gameplay with visions and a beefier set of utility arts, but some of you are massively oversimplifying things.

10/10

It’s STILL getting reviews 👀. All hope is not lost.

You give an example of using twin moons as a counter to invincibility as a bad thing when it's exactly what you say you wish they would do in the second bolded part. Doing something different in battle, responding to something the enemy did with an appropriate art.

In the other poster's example, the duration of invincibility doesn't matter that much. They were saying it was just something to watch out for to make sure you wait a bit before unloading a power art. If I used Cross Impact and then saw the enemy cast invincibility, I'd consider it worth waiting a second for it to wear off before using Inferno Dance fused with Hidden Thorn and wasting my power charge. Yea, I'd do that fusion in a couple of seconds once it wears off anyway, but that's still putting thought into when to use the art and paying attention to what the enemy is doing.

Cooldown/recharge systems are all about how best to spend the art before you can use it again, if invincibility only last two seconds, it's still worth paying attention and waiting because it might be twenty seconds before I can attempt a power charged fusion again.

There's some other quirky mechanics that you have to pay attention to when a reaction is getting 'No Effect' instead of 'Resisted' because during certain arts, enemies will be immune to break while the art animation is in effect. The big mech you fight in Valdi's hero quest is like that. And of course you have all the positioning around different attacks' AOEs and there're times when you'll want to use the follow command to move your party out of AOEs, and plenty of times where you have to choose the right moment to interlink. I won't say it's perfect and they could keep improving, and I think the first game is probably still the best at having more reactive gameplay with visions and a beefier set of utility arts, but some of you are massively oversimplifying things.

I don't think it's oversimplifying things...

All that matters in Xenoblade 3 combat for any boss is getting a break. When you do it, the combat is finished even on highest level superbosses. And it's not something hard anyway since the only difficult moments are at the beggining of the combat when your party is still not buffed and your defenders haven't built the aggro and evasion up yet, which eliminates most of the tension of the combat. After those first seconds is just a matter of waiting till you get the break (guaranteed anyway with interlink level 3) and it's basically over.

And that's because chain attacks are so broken that finishing combos don't make sense anymore, since the optimum strategy is to get a break so you can launch the boss and iniciate a chain attack to accumulate damage in that state. So, not having even a single smash art in your party is preferable so the AI can't mess with it.

Any other system in the Xeno3 combat is not relevant at all. Just break one single time and chain attack to death. Even on super bosses, you will just need to look for a break. If you get the break, the boss is finished in the chain attack no matter what. Xeno 3 is full of systems in combat that just don't have any use but offer the impression of the game being deeper than it is like the ouroboross level 3 chain attacks (totally inefficient), the different combos finishes, the debuff enemy systems, or even the hero selection since only one is the optimal choice for any fight.

It's the most streamlined combat system of the series by far and that Enel's video just proves the point of this.

Anyway, it's not like Xenoblade is a competitive game where balance is important... Part of the fun is in finding the most broken build possible to finish those bosses asap (the game even has a timer for that). However, I would have liked a bit more complexity... At least more than the previous games.

Last edited:
All these new 10/10s and people say that Slant doesn't have sh*tty opinions.

And is not like this game is the only problem with them, they do this in a consistent basis.

What are you doing here?
Know this! The Mighty 90 curse reigns here! Relax poor creatures... The Mighty 90 curse has already consumed this game life energy!

Are Easy Allies reviewing this at all? They just posted a spoiler mode.

Damiani said in the spoiler mode he was the only one finished with the game.

If someone else besides him is reviewing it, they still aren't done. That said, Damiani was really favorable in the Spoiler Mode.

Great review, I especially agree with the part about the combat of the series reaching its endpoint (not counting the DLC), next arc needs a gameplay shake up in addition to whatever it has planned for the story.

Except an undeniable part of me wishes them to continue to graft ever more needlessly indecipherable layers onto the combat system to see what spiralling tower of madness they could build by the time we get to Xenoblade Chronicles X3.

Please see the threadmarked staff post. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom