• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Release Date trailer, releasing July 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
People complained a lot about resolutions and such from the last game. Should they have just waited until they had better hardware to release this.
it's not gonna help with sales, so there's not too much point. they can always patch the game for Drake anyway

People complained a lot about resolutions and such from the last game. Should they have just waited until they had better hardware to release this.
The game sold very well and had good legs. No reason to hold back for the people who can just wait until the new hardware is released.

Not mention that with optimization and the higher portable clock (which they didn't use so far) they could prevent the game going as low as XC2 did. They could even get locked 720p in handheld, if that was a top priority (see XCX on weaker hardware).

Obviously no. A company isn't going to hold off releasing a finish game on a system that has sold 100 million + because some small bubble people on the internet complained about the resolution of the previous game.

Something to take into mind is that the devs are probably better with the hardware, engine and tools. Maybe if the game doesn't go up from 720p it will look and run better.

I don't love the technical performance of these games but like... I want it now.

Also, I think now's the time to build on the momentum they got going with DE in 2020 and Pyra+Mythra in Smash last year. If they waited too long, interest could start to cool off.

Last edited:
Gonna be a few years till that, we could have had a pro
I’m not a fan of rpgs it doesn’t effect me any. I just remembered so many people complaining about it. Let’s see if the developers can do any better this time around with optimization.

sometimes optimization means reducing resolution
I agree. Again not an issue for me. I just hope the fans and community doesn’t make a big deal about whatever it ends up being. We know what the hardware is. Hopefully expectations are in check.

I agree. Again not an issue for me. I just hope the fans and community doesn’t make a big deal about whatever it ends up being. We know what the hardware is. Hopefully expectations are in check.
they didn't the first two times. XC2 and DE had their graphical problems, but there wasn't some vocal outcry or whatever

Don't let places like Era color your perception of the Xenoblade community. While many will agree that the games are not lookers in handheld the majority don't care.

I just want them to get rid of that ugly DoF and SSR from XC2
Xenoblade 2 rarely had depth of field. It was Torna that really started implementing it consistently with most cutscenes but you could tell that it was almost alpha level quality. It always created an outline around characters' faces and produced a weird (as best as I can describe the visual) ghost effect on the environment? Like two images smearing together rather than a proper DoF bokeh effect. Thankfully XBC: DE and now even more so Xenoblade 3 have fixed the DoF. Now it looks great

Last edited:
Yeah, Torna had a funky look at times. Even if it was a visual step up from XC2, certain decisions made it less pleasing on the eye in places.

So far Xc3 looks more sharp than Xc2 or XCDE, but I have noticed that combat clips look better than exploration clips, that still look blurry. This may be related to video compression and to the camera during combat clips being REALLY close to the characters (this may be to make the game look better on the promo material, but doesn't look practical during gameplay). They have also made the grass disappear close to the characters, this seems to be an adjustment to prioritize showing grass and other details farther from the characters, we will see how it goes.

Overall it seems a significat improvement over XCDE and XC2, but some clips still look rather blurry so I don't know if they have really adjusted their poorly implemented AA solution, I still prefer the aliased look of XcX. At least they have toned down the sharpening filter since Xc2. I'm not against a 720p game on the Switch (docked) if they want to prioritize detail and effects, but combining 720p with an aggressive AA makes Xc2 looks too blurry at times, hopefully Monolith will release a patch for the next system unlocking the resolution of their previous Switch games, as the same AA solution that looks awful at 720p can be quite decent at 1080p or more.

Yeah 720p, at 30 fps, with taa, no af, just looks bad to me. I'd much rather have 720p with no aa and jaggies. It would be cool if monolithsoft could give us the option to tweak visual settings like the Witcher devs unlocked at least as an option, but I don't know how easy that would be for them to do. It seems the devs are aware of this iq issue so I wouldn't be surprised if the game ends having noticeably better iq than 2 and Torna. It already seems to be showing some decent improvement.

Yeah 720p, at 30 fps, with taa, no af, just looks bad to me. I'd much rather have 720p with no aa and jaggies. It would be cool if monolithsoft could give us the option to tweak visual settings like the Witcher devs unlocked at least as an option, but I don't know how easy that would be for them to do. It seems the devs are aware of this iq issue so I wouldn't be surprised if the game ends having noticeably better iq than 2 and Torna. It already seems to be showing some decent improvement.
IDK if they are really aware, XCDE still uses an aggressive TAA, the game looks better as they have removed or toned down the sharpening filter from Xc2 and the game has simpler models, but they repeated the same TAA mistake. I mean, I get that the game had limited budget and time and that they re-used the Xc2/Torna engine, but removing the AA solution (which lots of Nintendo game do and IMO is the right decision for low pixel counts) or using a less aggressive one is simply a matter of preference. For some reason MS team prefers blurry image over jaggies, but as the games are massive and often you are watching characters/enemies etc... from long distances (exploration is more enjoyable when the camera is not close to the character IMO), you'll end up often watching small, undefined objects/characters on the screen, it's quite a bad decision for the kind of game IMO.

The game does hold its resolution better than 2, Torna, and XBDE. If you watch the Japanese upload of the 2nd trailer, you can see a better difference because that version is less compressed than the NA upload. And I imagine it's still being compressed to some degree as well because of all the effects and moving grass that move in those combat shots, so it could look even more sharp.

But yes, MS seem to heavily prioritize heavy AA over nothing, most likely to keep a filmic aesthetic. That's a reason they focused on improving the grass as soon as they got the technical capability and availability to do so. Aliasing and cardboard grass stick out when you're making "movie-like" cutscenes.

I'm personally still shocked that they haven't fixed their trees. They're rocks and it's surprising how lifeless they appear. The leaves and branches don't blow in the breeze. I don't understand why when they have an obsession with blowing, moving fields of foliage and making the world feel "alive". Xenoblade on the Wii had moving trees.

But yes, MS seem to heavily prioritize heavy AA over nothing, most likely to keep a filmic aesthetic. That's a reason they focused on improving the grass as soon as they got the technical capability and availability to do so. Aliasing and cardboard grass stick out when you're making "movie-like" cutscenes.
Cutscenes in Xc2/XCDE look great, AA makes a lot of sense there, but it could be toned down during gameplay because it blurries everything and makes some things hard to see. Let's see how XC3 improves the image quality, as I said before combat clips look nice but the exploration clips look rather blurry so I'm not that optimistic.

Don't let places like Era color your perception of the Xenoblade community. While many will agree that the games are not lookers in handheld the majority don't care.

To emphasize this point, we went nuts because of a 14 minute trailer of just aimlessly wandering around and jumping off of cliffs into lakes, from a 480p Wii game we found out we wouldn't be getting in na, in like, 2010.

I'm curious if Nintendo will do a demo (Any excuse to start playing ASAP xD)
On the one hand, a demo that carries over progress would be SO GOOD. But on the other, demos for big complicated RPGs are usually very hard to make work well, since the prologue and early parts of the game aren't usually action-packed, but if you do the demo later on you miss all the tutorials and easing into the world. So... maybe? They made one work for Tales of Arise by doing a slice of a later area, so maybe they could do something like that with XC3.

To emphasize this point, we went nuts because of a 14 minute trailer of just aimlessly wandering around and jumping off of cliffs into lakes, from a 480p Wii game we found out we wouldn't be getting in na, in like, 2010.
That wasn't even a proper trailer from Nintendo but a fan made one, funnily enough

Wasn't it a Japanese trailer? They got a lot leading up to release.

I thought they were Japanese trailers or something, I remember 3 of them, but I don't remember enough to say for sure they weren't fan made, never even thought about that being a possibility.

I don't recall it ever showing up on Nintendo's channels
There were several trailers on the website for the Wii version. I can't remember if any were that long though, I think the second one was the longest and focused on exploration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom