• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Pre-release Discussion Thread (Spoilers from leaks/early copies NOT allowed)

Which side are you on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Xenoblade 3 ends with a massive Ark to another dimension and it looks like this :sneaky:

QfW3U6D.png
There actually is a "ship" of sorts that bears a striking resemblance to those in Xenosaga.
Xenosaga-Episode-III-Also-Sprach-Zarathustra-ss-082.jpg

IIRC Xenosaga and X shared at least one designer, so it could just be down to that, but the general shape is quite similar.

There actually is a "ship" of sorts that bears a striking resemblance to those in Xenosaga.
Xenosaga-Episode-III-Also-Sprach-Zarathustra-ss-082.jpg

IIRC Xenosaga and X shared at least one designer, so it could just be down to that, but the general shape is quite similar.
Same character designer, yeah. But the mechanical designer for Saga was Junya Ishigaki and for Blade X was Takayuki Yanase. So it looks like the similarity isn't due to sharing a designer, sooooo a deliberate choice on Takahashi's part? 👀

Ehh... perhaps this is because I'm already not big on the "Aionios is Mira" theory, but this is starting to feel a little too out there for me. Maybe if L's concept art was covered in ouroboros or mobius strip imagery, or if his and Mr. Wild Ride's English VAs had the same accent, I'd feel differently. But I've got severe doubts about Mr. Wild Ride being an X character, or any X characters showing up even if the game sets up Mira's origins.
Yeah, I dunno if L = Wild Ride is really a thing, I just tossed it in there because I've seen it come up a few times in other people's theories, and it has come to my mind as well. It's just important to remember that concept art often doesn't resemble what is thrown into a final product since that's all it is, a concept. Obviously Mira isn't anything like the Mira concept art either. So basically, who knows. XD

There's definately a lot of other unknowns in regards to X still, even if Xenoblade 3's world and Mira share the "merged worlds" concept. L being one of them, along with the "Great One" Luxaar talks about, the tainted, and the Ghosts (Who are kinda like Ouroboros, and even kinda have Ouroboros core things on them. I think I heard the designer of the Ouroboros forms in Xeno 3 is the same person who designed the Ghosts in Xenoblade X apparently (Choco, but I can't remember where I saw/read this and can't confirm it so I could be wrong), which is interesting if true), and Elma herself. Again, Xenoblade 3 might only share a root concept with Xenoblade X, so we might see parallels even if they aren't directly connected. Which I think is still interesting itself.

Last edited:
This is my personal belief, but I always felt that XCX was meant to be its own thing and was made a Xenoblade game to take advantage of the popularity of XC. Following that thought I believe we may see elements of XCX make it into future XC games like Elma becoming a recurring character, but it'll remain its own separate spinoff.

I honestly don't think X will directly tie into 3 in any way (especially since Takahashi avoided mentioning it in 3's introduction) and it feels like we have already gone though a similar song and dance with 2 and Future Connected. I still remember when some people thought Future Connected would tie into X because of the similar camerawork when overseeing the Bionis Shoulder at the beginning of the game.

I honestly don't think X will directly tie into 3 in any way (especially since Takahashi avoided mentioning it in 3's introduction) and it feels like we have already gone though a similar song and dance with 2 and Future Connected. I still remember when some people thought Future Connected would tie into X because of the similar camerawork when overseeing the Bionis Shoulder at the beginning of the game.
A tie-in to X would be a big twist, so naturally it wouldn't be mentioned before the games release

I'm personally inclined to think that X will not be making an explicit appearance in 3. I'm not opposed to it, theoretically, but I do think the game would benefit from just focusing on the worlds of 1 and 2. Satisfactorily handling 1 and 2's worlds and characters a lot to juggle by itself, adding in X's characters may lead to a loss of focus. I think the fact that it has not even been brought up by Takhashi and co (whether it be an explicit confirmation or even an explicit denial) is also suggestive of this. There might be hinting and other, non-explicit allusions to the world and characters of X, but I expect that's where it'd stop.

Never owned a Wii U, so I hope connections to X, if they exist, will be subtle/at a minimum.

The twist is Takahashi doing the same thing twice. Then again, people think he's trying to recreate perfect works

They are better off saying X is a part of the game and letting folks hunt for the clues
I think what they're "better off" doing is subjective and Takahashi's gonna do what Takahashi wanna do

I don't think there's any solid indication in any direction, but since 0% of the pre-release promotional content (interviews, website blurbs, etc.) have indicated that 3 will tie into X, an eventual tie-in would be an intentional twist

The new Maktha clip with Mio has the same second battle theme as the Eunie clip in Maktha so it's definitely looking to be a second normal battle theme and not a quest battle theme as suggested earlier.

Pretty sure Mio's talent gauge fills up on evasion. She also inflicts spike damage when evading.

edit: Forgot to mention earlier, but the Noah swordfighter clip from friday shows allies can pick up item drops

Last edited:
XCX is in a weird spot because it doesn't really fit in with what Monolith Soft has been doing on the Switch. Prior to 2's release, there was this idea of Xenoblade as a Final Fantasy-esque series that would shift stories and artstyles with each new entry, but if that ever was the intent, the Switch releases seem to be pivoting away from it. XC2 ended up being connected to XC1 after all, XCDE stylizes the XC1 characters to be closer to XC2 as well as solidifies Alvis as Ontos to further bridge the two stories, and XC3 is staying the course in respects to both style and story.

I could see a move where XC3 decides to close the trilogy by shooting Samaarians and Nopon into a portal to presage an upcoming XCX port and XCX2, but I think they've been keeping XCX as relatively distinct from the Klausiverse intentionally. It lets them define a style and aesthetic for their "core" Xenoblade games, but they have room to use the branding for other projects that might deviate from that.

XCX is in a weird spot because it doesn't really fit in with what Monolith Soft has been doing on the Switch. Prior to 2's release, there was this idea of Xenoblade as a Final Fantasy-esque series that would shift stories and artstyles with each new entry, but if that ever was the intent, the Switch releases seem to be pivoting away from it. XC2 ended up being connected to XC1 after all, XCDE stylizes the XC1 characters to be closer to XC2 as well as solidifies Alvis as Ontos to further bridge the two stories, and XC3 is staying the course in respects to both style and story.

I could see a move where XC3 decides to close the trilogy by shooting Samaarians and Nopon into a portal to presage an upcoming XCX port and XCX2, but I think they've been keeping XCX as relatively distinct from the Klausiverse intentionally. It lets them define a style and aesthetic for their "core" Xenoblade games, but they have room to use the branding for other projects that might deviate from that.
As connected as the numbered titles are, they're still pretty distinct entities from one another. The stories they tell are very self contained, especially compared to past Xeno games. The series is still structured not unlike Final Fantasy, but with an underlying myth arc tying everything together for those that do play all the games. Even with 3 more prominently featuring returning characters, I still expect it to work as a standalone story first and foremost, as evidenced by the way that they keep presenting things in a way that returning players will immediately identify connections but without any explicit confirmation.

That's one explanation to account for the strange goings on with planet Mira, and the inability for seemingly advanced technology to not be able to escape it or scan it correctly. But it doesn't account for Mira's other quirks. Like native living hive organisms (that can form a multicellular sapient being when joined together) that can interact with and download digital data, or being able to download and broadcast a literal collective unconscious to their robot puppets (the memory units of the white whales life hold containing everyone's consciousness was destroyed in the impact... The countdown timer was meaningless).

The other is that Mira itself is more advanced technology in the form of a planet that is simply blocking them, and also performing other advanced technological functions.

Oh and just by the by..... Here is an interesting contemporary event that was going on around the time XbX started production.

61_Mira-2_rgb_0.jpg

I was looking at one of the latest episode of Love - Death and Robot on Netflix (The Very Pulse of the Machine) and cannot avoid to think about Mira

The more I see of this game, the less I get pissed off about the lack of FF games on Switch. This game will definitely do the job.

That kind of "surprise" could be ruined if Takahashi says it outright...

Like when before XC2's launch he said the game has no connection with XC1, you can't expect him to say some revelation like that even before the game is out. He mentions XC1&2 connection because it's the initial premise of the game, something you learn in the opening chapter, probably, and yeah you can see the Urayan titan and Mechonis sword... High Entia and Gormotti people...

And about FC... that Telethia in the end that goes straight to the rift... could totally be the actual Telethia we see on Noctilum... I mean... it goes into an interdimensional portal of sorts... Takahashi kinda confirmed a Xeno-multiverse IIRC. Again there are too many details and elements in XCX that ties itself with the world of Klaus to the point that it can't be just fan service like Lin's Monado hairpin.

Knowing how Takahashi never does things without a meaning (or more than one) behind, and the fact that he was already planning some XC3 concepts even before starting XC2 (aka while XCX development), it can't be just coincidental...

...then again, he could be playing the troll of the century with us.

And about FC... that Telethia in the end that goes straight to the rift... could totally be the actual Telethia we see on Noctilum... I mean... it goes into an interdimensional portal of sorts... Takahashi kinda confirmed a Xeno-multiverse IIRC. Again there are too many details and elements in XCX that ties itself with the world of Klaus to the point that it can't be just fan service like Lin's Monado hairpin.
It was noted in FC that the Telethia were keeping the rift and Fog King at bay within Alcamoth by consuming the ether they produced so I saw that scene as an indication that the Telethia were on the move to neutralize the growing rift while Shulk and his companions kept the Fog King distracted.

It's kinda funny, because the Telethia in Xenoblade X is one of the things that we knew for a fact came from another world. In the quest A Fated Choice, you learn a little bit about the history of the Telethia and the Ovah and Orphean race:

The Ovah is described as a virus by the Orphe themselves, which apparently was floating around in the ocean of a world as a single conciousness, a world shared by the Telethia. Some NPC at the water treatment plant in NLA also mentions there's a virus or bacteria in the water of Mira that needs to be filtered out, but the game never mentions this again and I think the NPC only talks about it at a specific point in the game (I'm replaying X right now, it's one of the things I'm hoping to catch again). After the Ovah infected some Visigels on Mira, the Orphe became quite concerned with the revelation because they thought they were the only ones who could host the virus.

Honestly, the information we have is still too vague to make any actual connections to Xenoblade 1. I know back in the day some people thought the "ocean" referred to the "boundless ocean" of Xenoblade 1. If you take the Mira = Aionios theory, you could maybe assume the virus is actually the nanomachines left behind from the cloud sea (We know the nanomachine particles in the cloud sea can form various molecules and DNA, so I always assumed Klaus instructed the machines in the cloud sea to form into water, which is where the ocean at the end of Xeno 2 came from). It's not out of the question that some of them went rogue and created a living conciousness I suppose. The nanomachines would be in Aionios because of the merger, and if Aionios = Mira then they'd also be on Mira. The nanomachines shown in Xenoblade 2 even kinda looks like a coronavirus so who knows.

Still, I'm mostly just making stuff up as I guess at possibilities, obviously. It's unlikely any of what I said in the paragraph above is actually a thing, but it's fun to speculate on stuff so... There ya go I guess. XD

Eunie having flashbacks of what she saw in Taion's memories.

I imagine the heartbreak of this game will be Mio and Noah's memories near the end of the game. Ready for for another round of Takahashi's emotional damage.

Saying what I said elsewhere - I didn’t expect shared memories to manifest outside of fused forms. The idea that these characters can get fragments of their partner’s memories when they come into contact with something particularly poignant is really cool.

Maybe it could lead to a situation where someone’s partner knows something about them that they’re keeping hidden from the group… I dunno. It creates a lot of potential for character building.

It’s almost like a unique, more character driven spin on the vision gimmick from the first game, except everyone can access it and reap the storytelling benefits, not just Shulk.

It looks better due to couple of reasons I think. New tech from Monolithsoft I fear.
But first, the models themselves. Eyes are more sculpted and less flat on 3 models. The lashes are fully modeled on the eyes.

Xenoblade-Chronicles-2_2017_11-27-17_001.jpg

It‘s running on an updated engine for sure. They fixed the depth of field. It looks great now with no obvious haloing like in Torna. I also notice characters all have a more cell shaded look to them but not quite fully cell shaded. Materials still retain most of their respective textures but it’s more cel shaded than 2 but not fully like BOTW or Astral Chain.

1xp029xwn2451.jpg
astral-chain-review.jpg

Finally, subtle but I think important update as I just got done watching some second tier cutscenes from previous games just to make sure. The lip sync is much more detailed here (less robotic and puppet like). The older games have mouth flaps move like a sock puppet lol.
One more subtle but very important detail to note is the iris movement. They twitch this time. Like micro twitching. There are no movements like that in the previous games. New animation tech I think ☺️.

Last edited:
I've been playing through the Xenoblade games (I just finished 1 and Future Connected) before 3 comes out.

I just started to replay 2. When I get through Torna and then play 3 in July and at the end of 3 there's this cool connection to Xenoblade X, a game that isn't on the switch and I don't have access to, I'm going to feel a little upset. Especially when the Direct that announced 3 said it would show the "futures of the worlds from 1 and 2" or something like that. So that's the homework they told us to do.

So selfishly (I admit) I would prefer that X stay in its own "continuity" separate from numbered titles. (Unless Nintendo ports X to Switch in the next month.)

Not going to lie, I'm thinking some of you might be setting yourselves up for disapointment with this speculation of X being connected. We have zero evidence of that being the case, and while some may suggest that that is evidence unto itself ("they wouldn't spoil the twist"), that type of reasoning, where no evidence is evidence in itself, is a hallmark of conspiracy theories. If X is included and it is not to the detriment of game more broadly, then I'll be quite happy to see it there, but I don't want people building up expectations that the game never intended to meet in the first place and ending up disapointed because of it.

Not going to lie, I'm thinking some of you might be setting yourselves up for disapointment with this speculation of X being connected. We have zero evidence of that being the case, and while some may suggest that that is evidence unto itself ("they wouldn't spoil the twist"), that type of reasoning, where no evidence is evidence in itself, is a hallmark of conspiracy theories. If X is included and it is not to the detriment of game more broadly, then I'll be quite happy to see it there, but I don't want people building up expectations that the game never intended to meet in the first place and ending up disapointed because of it.
I sure won’t be disappointed in the least if that’s not the case, I think we’re just having fun entertaining theories with the clues that we are finding in XCX and environments on XC3 and the crazy shenanigans Takahashi usually fabricates. It’s part of the fun Xeno-fans always have with new games… if the game ties someways with Mira in the end of the plot or on the future of Aionios, fine. If not, it’ll be fine too… :)

You’re making this a big deal…if it happens it happens. If it doesn’t happen then it doesn’t happen. There’s nothing to be disappointed about lol

You’re making this a big deal…if it happens it happens. If it doesn’t happen then it doesn’t happen. There’s nothing to be disappointed about lol
I figured as much, but I'd rather lean towards toning down excitement just in case. I've seen this happen before with other communities and I don't want to see it repeat with Xeno. Glad to hear though that my worries were misplaced.

Last edited:
It looks better due to couple of reasons I think. New tech from Monolithsoft I fear.
But first, the models themselves. Eyes are more sculpted and less flat on 3 models. The lashes are fully modeled on the eyes.

Xenoblade-Chronicles-2_2017_11-27-17_001.jpg

It‘s running on an updated engine for sure. They fixed the depth of field. It looks great now with no obvious haloing like in Torna. I also notice characters all have a more cell shaded look to them but not quite fully cell shaded. Materials still retain most of their respective textures but it’s more cel shaded than 2 but not fully like BOTW or Astral Chain.

1xp029xwn2451.jpg
astral-chain-review.jpg

Finally, subtle but I think important update as I just got done watching some second tier cutscenes from previous games just to make sure. The lip sync is much more detailed here (less robotic and puppet like). The older games have mouth flaps move like a sock puppet lol.
One more subtle but very important detail to note is the iris movement. They twitch this time. Like micro twitching. There are no movements like that in the previous games. New animation tech I think ☺️.
By micro twitching, I assume you mean the subtle head bobbing?

It is interesting that they're going even more cell shaded than 2. It's making everyone's faces look pretty flat compared to the other games with the removal of extra shadow detail. Not bad, just different. It's very pleasing to look at, though I did kind of like the subtle physics based shading effect on clothing and faces as it felt like added visual fidelity to the models without removing the more anime aesthetic. I'm noticing different lighting effects on the faces to make up for the shadow loss, Taion's chin for example has a glow/outline to it. His neck has an unusual shading technique too.

They're still doing the no nose detail on women's faces from XB2 which I didn't personally like. Their skin is basically glowing a flat pale wall of "skin". They fixed this issue with XBDE so idk why they went backwards on it with 3. I liked the nose/cheek detail with Fiora and Sharla. Now women are two floating eyeballs and a tiny mouth again for anything that isn't a profile view. Guys at least have better noses than Rex did though with his needle nose.

Also the added hair physics is going to add more fluidity to animations. Based on gameplay and other things we've seen, I think clothing will be physics based too in automated cutscenes for added detail and fluidity

The enhanced depth of field that began with Torna is already proving to be 👌 for their cutscenes. XBDE already showcased it beautifully but now with enhanced environments and modern particle/lighting effects it's going to shine

Edit: Also their pupils are much better in this game than 2. They look great

Edit Edit: Is that a VEIN on Taion's neck?? Or is that a model/shadow glitch? That legit looks like a proper vein

Last edited:
Saying what I said elsewhere - I didn’t expect shared memories to manifest outside of fused forms. The idea that these characters can get fragments of their partner’s memories when they come into contact with something particularly poignant is really cool.

Maybe it could lead to a situation where someone’s partner knows something about them that they’re keeping hidden from the group… I dunno. It creates a lot of potential for character building.

It’s almost like a unique, more character driven spin on the vision gimmick from the first game, except everyone can access it and reap the storytelling benefits, not just Shulk.
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought she was having a flashback to what she see during fusion.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought she was having a flashback to what she see during fusion.
This is what I thought too, since it flashbacks to that weird yellow space that we see during the fusion sequences. Either way, I'm looking forward to all the heart to hearts where characters share eachother's embarrassing memories (Example: Mio finds out Noah wet the bed a lot as a kid and teases him about it in front of the others).

They're still doing the no nose detail on women's faces from XB2 which I didn't personally like. Their skin is basically glowing a flat pale wall of "skin". They fixed this issue with XBDE so idk why they went backwards on it with 3.
Keep in mind Xenoblade 2 and 3 have the same character designer, and the in-game models are an accurate depiction of his designs. They didn't "fix it in XBDE" and then "go backwards on it in 3" as much as they simply had a different character designer on DE.

I've seen a lot of jokes and comments like "MonolithSoft's artists are gonna do this and that" which I sorta get because yeah there are some problematic things you see repeated in these games, but be aware MonolithSoft doesn't have, like, a dedicated main character designer on staff. Every Xeno game has had character design contracted out to professional manga artists (except for Xenoblade 1 Wii where they modeled the characters to the limitations of the hardware without designs, and then hired an artist to create key art after the fact), and even Xenoblade 2's blade system went crazy with that by hiring out to a ton of different manga artists, which is why they all look so different.

So yeah. Too many words, sorry, but that's why DE has such a different look compared to 2 and 3.

I don't think anyone's saying the lack of evidence is evidence, but rather the inverse; the lack of evidence is not evidence that X isn't connected. The possibility that it could happen is what's being pointed out.

By micro twitching, I assume you mean the subtle head bobbing?
No, I meant the iris actual movement. They twitch like real eyes. The bobbing is just a canned animation for these second tier cutscenes. They existed in 2 and 1. The lip-sync and eye movements are new additions.

The nose thing is a stylistic choice. I actually don’t like the style in DE lol. DE almost looks like X. It’s like a cross between Disney and Anime. X was on the more “realistic“ side which made everything weird and uncanny.

I prefer this more anime aesthetic tbh. Monolith is going full anime art now. The slight cel shading is definitely part of that process. They are perfecting that imo. The nose in 3 actually has more shading than 2 but I don’t think it’s a technical thing. That’s just how the artist draws now. The character designer has definitely developed his style over time since 2 came out (eyes and nose look slightly different than 2). The 3D art is just reflecting his current style. The 3D modelers are doing a very good job tbh as they look the same as the 2D art pretty much.

Oh, eye lashes poking out of hair is a new anime thing they added as well. I shouldn’t say “anime” because it’s really an illustration technique to make the eyes stand out more. I haven’t seen anyone does it on 3D models tbh. It’s actually really cool that Monolith incorporated that. They are translating 2D aesthetic to 3D.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone's saying the lack of evidence is evidence, but rather the inverse; the lack of evidence is not evidence that X isn't connected. The possibility that it could happen is what's being pointed out.
Yeah, I get it now. I just was out of sync with other's expectations.

Keep in mind Xenoblade 2 and 3 have the same character designer, and the in-game models are an accurate depiction of his designs. They didn't "fix it in XBDE" and then "go backwards on it in 3" as much as they simply had a different character designer on DE.

I've seen a lot of jokes and comments like "MonolithSoft's artists are gonna do this and that" which I sorta get because yeah there are some problematic things you see repeated in these games, but be aware MonolithSoft doesn't have, like, a dedicated main character designer on staff. Every Xeno game has had character design contracted out to professional manga artists (except for Xenoblade 1 Wii where they modeled the characters to the limitations of the hardware without designs, and then hired an artist to create key art after the fact), and even Xenoblade 2's blade system went crazy with that by hiring out to a ton of different manga artists, which is why they all look so different.

So yeah. Too many words, sorry, but that's why DE has such a different look compared to 2 and 3.
I had my reply in a draft. This page was on a tab and I didn‘t bother to click “view new messages” but my thoughts exactly.

I didn’t realize somebody else is going to post almost the exact same thing Lol. It’s just funny when that happens. I’m pointing it out because I don‘t want people to think that I read his reply and basically reiterate what was already said. I wasn‘t aware of his post before posting mine. I’m actually surprised we have similar conclusion 🤣. That tis all.

Last edited:
I've been playing through the Xenoblade games (I just finished 1 and Future Connected) before 3 comes out.

I just started to replay 2. When I get through Torna and then play 3 in July and at the end of 3 there's this cool connection to Xenoblade X, a game that isn't on the switch and I don't have access to, I'm going to feel a little upset. Especially when the Direct that announced 3 said it would show the "futures of the worlds from 1 and 2" or something like that. So that's the homework they told us to do.

So selfishly (I admit) I would prefer that X stay in its own "continuity" separate from numbered titles. (Unless Nintendo ports X to Switch in the next month.)
That’s why they’ll release a port of XCX on Switch sometime after XC3 comes out. It sounds like you played XC2 before playing the original (unless playing DE was your second playthrough), so if that’s the case then you’ve already played them out of order, but despite the connections to 1 in 2 I’m sure it turned out fine for you, yes? Why would it be any different with some ties to X in 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom