• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Pre-release Discussion Thread (Spoilers from leaks/early copies NOT allowed)

Which side are you on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The glowing beacons are definitely map markers now.

FTGd_8EWIAIlam2

The game may look open world, but they haven’t said it’s open world still. Now with these field skills it makes it obvious it’s not.
Open world games doesn't means that there aren't unaccessible areas. For example, in XCX there are areas you need to fly to reach and in BotW you have to complete story segments before leaving the plateau or entering divine beasts.

Field skills and vehicles could be their way to let us explore 90+% of the world from the get go, like XCX, while keeping us away from only what the story really needs to be restricted.

The field skills imply we'll be going back to areas frequently. Usually that means less areas to explore if they're pretty large

Shouting “Field Skills” in a room full of Xenoblade fans is akin to shouting “Breakable Weapons” in a room of Zelda fans, at least based on some of the hot takes I’ve seen today…

Based on the description provided, they sound sort of like Metroidvania upgrades (vs. Xenoblade 2’s field skills which were more like old school Pokémon HMs).

Open world games doesn't means that there aren't unaccessible areas. For example, in XCX there are areas you need to fly to reach and in BotW you have to complete story segments before leaving the plateau or entering divine beasts.

Field skills and vehicles could be their way to let us explore 90+% of the world from the get go, like XCX, while keeping us away from only what the story really needs to be restricted.

We surely won't be able to explore 90% of the world from the get-go. And field skills are exactly the reason, as they exist to gate the player from the next story-relevant area.

XC3 field skills implementation sounds good to me. I didn't mind it as much in XC2 as some others did, so I'm hoping there's a decent variety in this game to make backtracking worthwhile.

We surely won't be able to explore 90% of the world from the get-go. And field skills are exactly the reason, as they exist to gate the player from the next story-relevant area.
You're making 2 assumptions here:
1) Field skills purpose (unless it was specified in the twitter), which could also mainly be for side content, shortcuts or be obtained early if the player chose to.
2) The amount of unaccessible area is over 10% of the world.

To be clear, a game named XC3 with a plot about XC1 and XC2 worlds combined is obviously more likely to follow their world and story design instead of trying XCX-like design. And I myself expect it to be. Field Skills being back doesn't prove that though.

The problem with field skills in 2 was having to go through an increasingly large menu everytime you failed to meet the requirements. 3, since it doesn't have blades, obviously isn't gonna have that problem. This field skill implementation seems closer to Xenoblade X and Torna, where you unlocked them as you played through the game and were tied to a set party. If you didn't like them in X or Torna, then I can get the concern, but otherwise, I think it'll work fine.

You're making 2 assumptions here:
1) Field skills purpose (unless it was specified in the twitter), which could also mainly be for side content, shortcuts or be obtained early if the player chose to.
2) The amount of unaccessible area is over 10% of the world.

To be clear, a game named XC3 with a plot about XC1 and XC2 worlds combined is obviously more likely to follow their world and story design instead of trying XCX-like design. And I myself expect it to be. Field Skills being back doesn't prove that though.

We are all making assumptions because they don't specify one way or another. Grinding rails and especially the boat will very likely be field skills that will restrict us from going further/to the next area, though. As the world, from the footage we have, seems to be way more open and interconnected than in any numbered XC before, field skills are pretty logical progression gates.

And yeah, as it is a sequel to the numbered XC games, we should expect it to follow a very linear story structure. As a result, I don't see the whole world being anywhere close to 90% accessible from the start.

Last edited:
I don't think it's going to be a continuous world sadly. The waypoint marker sometimes sits there all crossed out as if the next objective isn't within the currently playable field.
And the midst recent blog post said "fields" plural.

Would love to be wrong.

I don't think it's going to be a continuous world sadly. The waypoint marker sometimes sits there all crossed out as if the next objective isn't within the currently playable field.
And the midst recent blog post said "fields" plural.

Would love to be wrong.
don't read too much into unofficial translation

i hope the game has a better map than 1 and 2. the map is just so bad, most times you can't even tell where you are, for how amazing and complicated the world designs are, the maps are sooooo basic.

i hope the game has a better map than 1 and 2. the map is just so bad, most times you can't even tell where you are, for how amazing and complicated the world designs are, the maps are sooooo basic.
One thing I like about the map of 1 is it at least gives you a sense of where you have and haven't been. I really missed that in 2, and hope they being that feature back for 3 at least. Aside from that, yeah the maps were garbo

That's a PS2 game??? Jesus, in my mind this was how I remembered PS1 graphics holy shit!
Far too many polygons to be PS1. Most of the better looking stuff from the N64 and PS1 involved heavy use of sprites over models and didn't feature a dynamic camera.

I never had a problem with the maps in the original, but part of that was due to how much verticality they lacked. In 2 everything was so fragmented they were nearly useless (though I remember Torna being easier to navigate).

I never had a problem with the maps in the original, but part of that was due to how much verticality they lacked. In 2 everything was so fragmented they were nearly useless (though I remember Torna being easier to navigate).
even in 1 sometimes you have no idea where you're supposed to go because the topography of the world is not translated to the map at all. like, one of the side quests in valak mountain required you to get an item in a location that wasn't even on the map (it was in the circled area). surely people looking at the map would consider that a location you can't go to. i had to watch a youtube video to realize you can actually go there.

valak_mountain_de_mapwekld.jpg

They combined field skills and community, I love it!

And it seems they're really going all-in with the hot orange look for the menus. 1 was earth colors, X was black and teal, 2 was sky blue with splashes of pink, 3's looking to be orange and purple.

Do we think all these landmasses are floating?

I hate how "open world" has almost become nearly synonymous with sandbox for some now, where if you don't have complete freedom to do as you wish on a map it no longer qualifies. Just because there's an NPC or skill requirement to see a section of a map doesn't mean it's no longer open world. If you can seamlessly explore that portion of the map once it has been unlocked the game is still open world in my eyes.

even in 1 sometimes you have no idea where you're supposed to go because the topography of the world is not translated to the map at all. like, one of the side quests in valak mountain required you to get an item in a location that wasn't even on the map (it was in the circled area). surely people looking at the map would consider that a location you can't go to. i had to watch a youtube video to realize you can actually go there.

valak_mountain_de_mapwekld.jpg
This was a lot more common in 2 thanks to the increased verticality, I think that's why it stood out more there. Even villages had this problem in 2.

I think if XC3 is an open world instead of just having large zones like the previous numbered entries, it'll probably be less XCX/BoTW and more in line with the previous games still, just more seamless with no loading zones between areas.

Based on the screenshots and footage we've seen there don't seem to be any obvious spots for loading zones so I think this might have merit. Though I'd have no idea how they managed to accomplish that given the size of these areas.

The problem with FFVIII remaster is that the updated Squall model is based on his Dissidia design and it clashes really hard with the Squall you see in FMVs

There's also something strange in general about the models being so detailed in a game where they can not emote, move their mouths, etc. Uncanny valley sort of effect.

Looks like field skills are back
I like how there's an entire blog post on exploration but the vehicle(s) are still kept hidden

I looked it up and it seems that Ouroboros is the name of the fusions. So I don't quite understand. 😅

I meant to say I speculate the characters fusing into the Ourobors (6 playable characters + Mr. Wild Ride) are the only capable of turning into mechas because they are artifical in nature.

I think like one person said it’s probably just a field skill so it’s not a big thing to elaborate on.
Eh, it's apparently completely free traversal of a seemingly large ocean zone. That's a bit more than what Field Skills ever did in 2. My guess is that they're not ready to officially reveal how vehicles work yet, that's hardly that strange.

Anyways, we're reaching the point where all that's left from the trailer should be advanced combat mechanics. Emphasis on should, because who knows, maybe they'll just talk about something completely different. But hopefully we get some Twitter posts on those mechanics building up to another blog post, since that's kinda what we got with this blog post.

no it definitely looks much better. that image was due to the low resolution of the ps1

EB4u4_GWkAEGmIz.jpg:large
I mean.... It was due to the low resolution and the blocky, low-poly model, which was completely replaced with a more modern model in the example you gave on the right...
...but that's none of my business.
a6fb24f38d35bc8846515b46b537bd478b18ec2f.gifv

But it looks like field skills are more like new upgrades in a metroidvania. <3

Amazing rework.
This is perfect, since that's more or less how I thought the original version was intended in XC2 (more or less). It just became really overbearing when you had to constantly swap your blades around to make it work and was a giant menu tax. Making it more of a metroidvania thing with permanent upgrades is amazing news.

Field Skills themselves were okay to me on XB2 in the sense that I liked that they blocked off certain areas and had you go bakc.

But how they were handled was annoying. Going through the menu and switching blades (especially through the generic ones) was really time consuming, which was annoying. I hope they do it better. I like that switching characters is easier in xb3 at least. That's a massive step, although its with a much smaller variety, so its a given.

It seems like this time they use the arrow at the top of the battle arts to indicate your position:
back
u97iYYh.png

and side
0rG8Rlg.png

But how they were handled was annoying. Going through the menu and switching blades (especially through the generic ones) was really time consuming, which was annoying. I hope they do it better.
Exactly.

Has flashbacks to the time Zenobia's side-quest needed level 11 Ice or something.

I meant to say I speculate the characters fusing into the Ourobors (6 playable characters + Mr. Wild Ride) are the only capable of turning into mechas because they are artifical in nature.
Is that confirmed or just your theory?
(Also technically they're all artificial. 😋 I know what you mean, just saying.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom