• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Direct announced for June 22nd (broadcast over, Expansion Pass confirmed, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heroes looks like they fulfill the "collecting party members" feel of Xenoblade 2's Blades, that is awesome.
I'm glad they continued with it, I'm a bit disappointed we aren't seeing guest artist for each hero like with the blades but in terms of having a more visual cohesion with the game its great.

I'm glad they continued with it, I'm a bit disappointed we aren't seeing guest artist for each hero like with the blades but in terms of having a more visual cohesion with the game its great.
They're all drawn by Saito yeah?

They're all drawn by Saito yeah?
Takahashi said that the character design was Saito work after the announcement of the game.

''The characters were designed by Masatsugu Saito, who also designed the characters for Xenoblade Chronicles 2. While we can’t show them to you at this time, Koichi Mugitani created some of the key artworks. As you can see, familiar staff members to the Xenoblade Chronicles series have once again come together to create this game.''
source

Takahashi said that the character design was Saito work after the announcement of the game.

''The characters were designed by Masatsugu Saito, who also designed the characters for Xenoblade Chronicles 2. While we can’t show them to you at this time, Koichi Mugitani created some of the key artworks. As you can see, familiar staff members to the Xenoblade Chronicles series have once again come together to create this game.''
source
On one hand, it was lovely seeing different artist's take on a character in-universe. It brought a unique flair to the game that you just can't get from just one artist.

On the other hand....some of them were uh......not very good artistically speaking (Dhalia especially).

Good think the character designs have been fantastic basically all across the board with XB3.

On one hand, it was lovely seeing different artist's take on a character in-universe. It brought a unique flair to the game that you just can't get from just one artist.

On the other hand....some of them were uh......not very good artistically speaking (Dhalia especially).

Good think the character designs have been fantastic basically all across the board with XB3.
Yeah I think I prefer this system in XC3, but I am glad they experimented in XC2 with guest artist as some of them have really cool art.

OMG there's a job system in Xenoblade!

I'm not sure if that existed in prior games, but they have my attention now

Also, as someone who was kinda down on Final Fantasy XVI for being a bit drab looking, I'm super happy to see how colorful and bright the world is in this game.

I guess it's time for me to start on the franchise in earnest finally.

Heroes looks like they fulfill the "collecting party members" feel of Xenoblade 2's Blades, that is awesome.
I didn't play a lot of 2 but I came more away thinking "oh, they're like the temporary party members from Final Fantasy II and IV" 😂

Yeah I think I prefer this system in XC3, but I am glad they experimented in XC2 with guest artist as some of them have really cool art.
I was shocked to see that even Nomura did some designs for Xenoblade 2.

Would've loved to see that continue honestly. Jin's design is one of my favorite in the entire franchise.

Considering Nintendo history of always bringing 3rd party/freelancers designers for their RPGs, I think we will see cases like XC2 in the future from Monolith Soft even if probably with not so many people involved. This is just a nice change from XC2

Last edited:
The guest artists worked for 2 because the Blades were intentionally... dissonant with the rest of the world. It wouldn't work in this context.

I also think it's interesting that much of the complaints in relation to sexualisation in 2 was limited entirely to blades. I'm not excusing it, but I think, like, there was a metacommentary about the blades as being constructed beings, formed from the psyches of the first person to open their core.

Also, as someone who was kinda down on Final Fantasy XVI for being a bit drab looking, I'm super happy to see how colorful and bright the world is in this game.

I guess it's time for me to start on the franchise in earnest finally.

I didn't play a lot of 2 but I came more away thinking "oh, they're like the temporary party members from Final Fantasy II and IV" 😂
Well in X1 everybody had their own role to play. You can fool around a bit as each member mag have two roles depending on how you assign their skill sets. Like Dunban, he can deal wicked damage OR you can stack all the agility gems and take off his armor and have him fight half naked for an insane evasion tank.

X2 everybody also had their ideal roles with all the story based blades you are given. But if you do the side quests for secret blades or farm gems for guest blades, you can customize your team to focus on whatever you want, but only if you went for optional blades.

And in XCX, it’s a straight rpg so you choose your class at the start.

But this is a proper job system.

I doubt Saito designed all the Heroes, some of them already don't seem like his designs just going by the faces. I'm sure some of them are done internally and meant to stay in line with the overall style, which is usually how things work on big JRPGs to begin with,

The guest artists worked for 2 because the Blades were intentionally... dissonant with the rest of the world. It wouldn't work in this context.

I also think it's interesting that much of the complaints in relation to sexualisation in 2 was limited entirely to blades. I'm not excusing it, but I think, like, there was a metacommentary about the blades as being constructed beings, formed from the psyches of the first person to open their core.

Ha ha. It was just Kitschy Cheesecake pandering.

Takahashi (who worked on FFV as a field graphics designer) really felt like bringing a job system in Xenoblade lol.

Also keep in mind X1 leans you hard one way. So while you can try to go off the beaten role, your stats and skills heavily favor a specific role, so you end up gimping yourself. For the main game it doesn’t matter so much, but when you fight the special monsters or super bosses, you’ll get decimated. So you want Reyn and Dunban to tank and you want Rikki to be a DoT and Debuffer death nopon lol

I doubt Saito designed all the Heroes, some of them already don't seem like his designs just going by the faces. I'm sure some of them are done internally and meant to stay in line with the overall style, which is usually how things work on big JRPGs to begin with,
Maybe he meant that Saito would have the same role as he did in XC2 of being the Main Character Designer?

There is a team in Monolith Soft that their job is support Zelda BOTW/2, so yes. What they will do after BOTW 2 is unknown
I meant the original scene. IIRC Monolith’s responsibility in BOTW was in regards to the open world. So I was mainly joking that it’s Monolith imitating Monolith.

Also keep in mind X1 leans you hard one way. So while you can try to go off the beaten role, your stats and skills heavily favor a specific role, so you end up gimping yourself. For the main game it doesn’t matter so much, but when you fight the special monsters or super bosses, you’ll get decimated. So you want Reyn and Dunban to tank and you want Rikki to be a DoT and Debuffer death nopon lol

It's true.

Xb1 demanded Dunban be naked and furious.

I'm not a big Xenoblade series fan (only played half of 1), but this game really looks excellent. Like, starkly better than 2 to my eye.

Over on InstallBase a fella pre-Direct said "I think this will outsell all Fire Emblem titles" and at that time I was like "hawhaw naw".

But, post-presentation, I could see a case being made now. It looks dam good and dam marketable.

We will have to see what the new FE presents like. The leaked "Toothpaste" screens admittedly didn't inspire confidence. But that's not a fair assessment, I'm looking forward to being blown away when the real deal trailer is rolled.

Maybe he meant that Saito would have the same role as he did in XC2 of being the Main Character Designer?
Most likely.

Work done by internal designers aren't mentioned often, we still don't know who officially designed the characters for the first game even though there's plenty of art for them.

Most likely.

Work done by internal designers aren't mentioned often, we still don't know who officially designed the characters for the first game even though there's plenty of art for them.
XC1 was probably modelers putting ideas to model with no real middle. Kinda like pokemon in gen 1

11IyuVP.png

Source: https://www.siliconera.com/tetsuya-takahashi-discusses-character-design-xenoblade-chronicles-1-2/

I did not watch the Xenoblade 3 direct because I don't want to see any spoilers however I already know that the game is going to be a 10 out of 10 Xenoblade is the type of franchise that never fails, each and every game in the whole entire series is just spectacular in every way shape and form. If anyone never played the Xenoblade games before I highly recommend the series more than any other Nintendo series. I am not exaggerating either when I say that, the series is just that darn good folks. Too good actually. So I'm definitely going to buy the game day one and I've been doing my best to avoid watching any videos, directs, spoilers or anything regarding Xenoblade 3 because when I see it for the first time I want to be blown away.

Can we take a moment to appreciate how good the voice acting is.

This is a joke! They're seriously going to wait until 2024 before launching Switch 2!?

I can't believe that they're holding out this long; the current Switch will be 7 years old by the time that they finish releasing this DLC and launch a successor!!

The current Switch will be dead & buried by then! FFS! Don't repeat the same mistake with Wii/Wii U again!!
DLC through to December 2023. What do people feel about that and possible Switch 2/Pro?
Personally I really don't think the DLC schedule for this game (or even Mario Kart, for that matter) says anything about hardware timeframe. Switch isn't going to turn into a pumpkin the second new hardware releases and the days of really hard dividing lines between console generations are over.
I need to play Future Connected to play this?
Playing Future Connected will likely give you further insight into certain things, but it probably won't be required. Perhaps it may be a bit more immediately relevant to the DLC story, going by that banner, but even then, it probably still wouldn't really be necessary to understand what's going on. Future Connected really is mostly an epilogue with a few hints of what's to come sprinkled throughout.

XC1 was probably modelers putting ideas to model with no real middle. Kinda like pokemon in gen 1
I'm sure they did but there's still plenty of concept work for them too.

I always found the translation of this comment to be weird. We had art for them even before the Wii version came out, and even concept art for them from the artbook that aren't CG. I think he's just saying they didn't contract any official work to be done from outside of the company.

12c666eadb0cfe0c9992532a40139113.jpg

6747ab676eac3bc4e0df9178eb34d2f1.jpg

media%2FFPjaxj5XoAQPbba.jpg

media%2FFPjaxY9XsAAPG3M.jpg

d2539ed54ed37fe0e69bf7b0e5ee5f27.jpg

324852-soma_bringer_charart005.jpg

media%2FFVkBTmIWIAANfpR.jpg

same poses,same style,same markings in the clothes
Yes, this is mostly likely the work of Tadahiro Usuda. He's been at MonolithSoft since the start. I wonder who did these designs though:
3Kd82Gv.jpg

I'm sure they did but there's still plenty of concept work for them too.

I always found the translation of this comment to be weird. We had art for them even before the Wii version came out, and even concept art for them from the artbook that aren't CG. I think he's just saying they didn't contract any official work to be done from outside of the company.

Yes, this is mostly likely the work of Tadahiro Usuda. He's been at MonolithSoft since the start. I wonder who did these designs though:
3Kd82Gv.jpg
looks like a paintover of the ingame models so probably someone from the marketing department at nintendo

Really like what I'm seeing. Haven't been keeping up with the XC3 news since around it was first announced so most of this is new to me. My only wish would be able to swap out any character in your party... not just the one hero.

Monolith Soft taking all the budget from Nintendo

o81KMW2.gif

This is easily going to be the best Xenoblade EVER
That's a high bar to clear, it has potential but let's wait before claiming so :p
Xenoblade is Nintendo most consistent franchise with Zelda/3D Mario so I'm not worried about the game not being great but the other 3 games are also amazing

I never considered the possibility of this order of events.

i always assumed those drawings came first.
takahashi confirmed
"And what’s more, the only artwork released of those characters were retouched versions of their CG models"

I kinda want to rewatch the direct, but I also kinda don't. I'm worried if I rewatch certain scenes too much I'll find the spoilers hidden in plain sight.

That presentation was excellent, this really does seem a culmination of everything I love about the Xenoblade series. Can’t wait to play it in a month!

Late in my reaction but Xenoblade 3 is looking absolutely amazing. I love the tone, the score is sounding top tier, the animations are fantastic, the character designs are some of the best and most cohesive in the series so far, and the gameplay is looking solid. The cutscene trailer at the end of the direct is so good it's a shame it isn't its own mini trailer separate from the direct since most people will probably miss it. Even the visuals are looking beautiful. They literally just need to fix the framerate and this would have been a near perfect showcase for the game. Great direct

Looks outstanding.

But also if they were going to show some sort of Skell / Mecha / Flying vehicle I'd think this is where we might see it. Doubting it's part of the game now.

And in XCX, it’s a straight rpg so you choose your class at the start.
Not quite. You always start as a Drifter and can't change until you hit rank 10 in Drifter. From there you can advance through a class tree and pick from three branches which branch out again into two further lines to pick from.

Not quite. You always start as a Drifter and can't change until you hit rank 10 in Drifter. From there you can advance through a class tree and pick from three branches which branch out again into two further lines to pick from.
Ah that’s right. Even so, that’s for the introduction of the story pretty much. You hit level 10 pretty damn fast after leaving with your team.

I’m pretty mid on the Xenoblade franchise as a whole (even outright disliking X2) but as a JRPG fan watching that direct, I have to check it out. Seems to rectify a lot of what I hated about 2, though I’m a little wary of that busy UI during combat. Hopefully it’s good, I preordered!

Looks great. How hard is this game for jrpg noob?
If your experience is anything like mine with the original, the game will throw systems at you faster than you can understand them, but the difficulty's low enough that you'll get by and have a blast anyway.

Xenoblade X had one for the created character, but that was it. The other characters were all locked into specific classes from that system.

I need to play Future Connected to play this?
FC's hints are so vague that 3 won't be able to call back to them without giving more context than FC did in the first place. I think 3 is more likely to enhance FC than the other way around.

Man a lot of it looked cool but at the same time it was extremely rough looking. So it’s a skip for me.

Definitely a game that screams it needs better hardware.

The quality of the character and costume design is so far ahead of their older games it's ridiculous. I feel like they finally found that middle ground where their characters don't feel like some sort of manequin someone randomly distributed pieces of fabric, driftwood and metal scraps onto like in XC1 or have dead lifeless puppet eyes (kind of fitting for the story) like in X.

Man I am getting tempted to get back into this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom