• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Would you buy a 599 USD Switch successor ?

It's a big ask, but...

• Yes

Votes: 84 26.8%
  • No

Votes: 65 20.7%
  • There is no way a Nintendo console launches at this price point

Votes: 165 52.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I live in a third world country so that's more than half my salary lol

I think Nintendo won't price their console over US$ 500 though.

Perhaps the more compelling question would be "How many of you owned both Wii U AND 3DS, or both Wii and DS, or both GameCube and GBA?" - While it's true that $599 would be too much, you were already paying a lot to have full access to the Nintendo suite, if you owned both when they had separate home and portable consoles.
I mean, in hindsight I barely used my Wii or WiiU so it was foolish of me to have owned both their home and handheld offerings at those times. Times have also changed along with people's budgets - just got our quote for the next year of utility bills and the increase will be more than this thread's hypothetical successor, grocery prices are going up, rent is going up, wages are not, etc. etc. It's already affecting my buying decisions with software, it's natural it would extend to hardware too.

I would consider it if I had the cash and, as you say, it was getting third party parity and essentially eliminating any desire to get a PS5 at some point, since that's something else I'm still not buying into because I can't justify the expense. Sony would have to lose some exclusives for that though, and I don't see it happening, hence my current plan of "wait until the end of the generation and catch up on deep discount."

It's not substantial. 74 people voting to buy the product on a small hard-core Nintendo forum has no statistically importance.
I did not mean with this word to extend the validity of this result to the entire population but you are giving me an idea.

As a Portuguese, I disagree xD
Salaries here are so bad :(

Yeah it's pretty bad, but on the other hand, you get to live in arguably the nicest country in Europe with the most beautiful language so there are upsides to being Portuguese.
Look at the Dutch: they're rich (and taller than us!), but their language is on the verge of being classified as a form of throat cancer by the WHO and their landscape feels like a proof of concept of procedural generation where the z-axis is yet to be implemented.

I'm in Spain and our salaries are slightly higher than in Portugal, but not great either. And unfortunately, 600 euros don't get you very far nowadays, and it will get worse. So in that sense, 600 euros ain't that much in today's money. Not that I'm happy about it.

Nintendo would have to do a great job selling the value of a $600 console for me to even consider it.

I like the idea of Nintendo's next system launching with a standard and premium version. If the upgrade in quality-of-experience is worth the price difference, I would consider paying even $599. But to win me over at that price, the premium system would need to be something truly special, not merely a superficial improvement or an aesthetic upgrade. Something that not only feels better to play, but also manages to delight long time Nintendo fans when viewed as a device and an operating system.

Unless there is launch game unavailable for the current Switch that makes me want to play such game now, the answer is NO.

Honestly if Metroid Prime 4 is a launch exclusive for the successor then I would pay all that. Or if the game is a new 3D Mario that looks even better than Odyssey, or an exclusive SMT VI game. I guess I should have voted something like "maybe"

It'd hurt my soul but I wouldn't buy it, a 600 usd console would probably be sold for like the equivalent of 900 usd in my country and I just can't spend all that amount in one go for a console.

Up until relatively recently in life, when I would play games for several hours a day every day, this might be something I'd have entertained...even if that brings the price to eight hundred Canadian dollars, which is pretty wacky. Now that I only buy a handful of new games a year and play quite a bit less, there's absolutely no chance lol.

Absolutely not. I won't spend that much on any game console. I would if I could, sure, but there's no way that's a responsible decision for my family.

Why would someone who wants a Nintendo console get a Steamdeck instead?
If you want a Nintendo console to play Nintendo games, boy do I have a system for you !

1280px-Nintendo-Switch-wJoyCons-BlRd-Standing-FL.png

Last edited:
If you want a Nintendo console to play Nintendo games, boy do I have a system for you !

1280px-Nintendo-Switch-wJoyCons-BlRd-Standing-FL.png
I also have a Super Nintendo, but it oddly doesn't play any Nintendo games released in the past 6 years.

I'm going to give you enough credit and assume you know how a successor console works, so I'm not even going to explain why this is a dumb response.

I also have a Super Nintendo, but it oddly doesn't play any Nintendo games released in the past 6 years.

I'm going to give you enough credit and assume you know how a successor console works, so I'm not even going to explain why this is a dumb response.
???
The Switch is still getting games.
A successor to the Switch doesn´t exist.
You must be delusional.

Back
Top Bottom