• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Would you buy a 599 USD Switch successor ?

It's a big ask, but...

• Yes

Votes: 84 26.8%
  • No

Votes: 65 20.7%
  • There is no way a Nintendo console launches at this price point

Votes: 165 52.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If I were able to find out which games they would give me as an early adopter to compensate for the quick price cut when the thing tanks, maybe. But even then, probably not.

The Steam Deck has $400, $529 and $649 price points.

The more expensive price points have accessories, anti-glare coating, and faster + more storage. There's no difference in performance excluding that.

The OP is framing the $600 model as a more premium option alongside a less expensive one. Because I am an enthusiast I'd buy the $600. I'll probably end up buying the most expensive Steam Deck too.

There shouldn't be significant features like a higher res screen, HDR, etc. locked to the more premium models. That disincentivizes developers to target those modes since a 1080p handheld mode would be an additional performance profile, so we'd end up with the default 720p profile on a 1080p screen which is no bueno.

Hehehe

no

Edit: it’s funny, I’ve been conditioned to spend $900-$1000 for a new smart phone every couple years (5-7), but I find a $600 video game Console to be too much in this day and age when it would live for about the same time.

Like I have zero issues spending that much for my phone but me seeing a video game console for a fraction of that phone price I find to be too much, you feel me reader?

So, I’d say maybe? I don’t really need a 1080p display though. 720p is fine by me.

Well, as do I... but I pay 10-20 bucks a month as part of my monthly T-Mobile bill. Which is negligible. If Nintendo ever offered to do that for me, then sure I will pay 15 bucks a month for 24 months for a console I will use for years and never sell haha

That would translate into a full salary(Brazil) more expensive than the Switch. Lol no way. Neither I would buy nor would most people.
Switch Drake will be like 399,99-449,99 and already be labeled as a premium device and not the main/only option. If it was a full replacement right away it would cost at most the price of OLED.

I don't think it'll happen at that price at this point, but if it did....

Begrudgingly.

Nintendo would never release anything close to that cost...

Would still buy it though.

The Steam Deck has $400, $529 and $649 price points.

The more expensive price points have accessories, anti-glare coating, and faster + more storage. There's no difference in performance excluding that.

The OP is framing the $600 model as a more premium option alongside a less expensive one. Because I am an enthusiast I'd buy the $600. I'll probably end up buying the most expensive Steam Deck too.

There shouldn't be significant features like a higher res screen, HDR, etc. locked to the more premium models. That disincentivizes developers to target those modes since a 1080p handheld mode would be an additional performance profile, so we'd end up with the default 720p profile on a 1080p screen which is no bueno.

The extras on the Deck are really... nothing really. It's all about SSD and more storage really, and honestly, the storage and type of storage on the 400 makes it not worthwhile at all, especially since the Deck is not a mass market machine but for enthusiasts. But I agree with you that as an enthusiast I would buy the more premium model. I say that, but I also think the Deck was too expensive in general, which why I do not think Nintendo should go for 600.

350/regular 450/premium or 300/regular 400/premium should be their aim.

Or offer a Lite model from the get at a 250 pricepoint along with premium. Since 4K will no matter to handheld only players

I’m all for options but Nintendo won’t sell at a loss to cater to a niche enthusiast crowd. So has to be within reason while also hitting their mass appeal price points even on premium models.

Heck do a Lite, Regular, Pro if they want. But I think two options to start is best and I think a lite and premium would be the ideal. That way the lite can even be cheaper

probably not

personally speaking I mostly play games on PC but Nintendo has a few exclusive franchises that I care about enough to buy their consoles to play(Monolith Soft,Fire Emblem,Mario Kart, some other stuff here and there like Bayonetta on the Switch as an example)

if i'm paying like $300-400 for the console those justify the purchase to me, at $600? that's getting a bit iffy

I wouldn't entirely rule it out but....probably not

Last edited:
The extras on the Deck are really... nothing really. It's all about SSD and more storage really,
I don't think I said otherwise.
I'm not even saying a three tier Deck scenario or 600 USD is likely. Nintendo is more likely to make an affordable product due to larger economies of scale and reusing Switch OLED components.
Just wanted to give a frame of reference for a $500-$600 handheld. The Deck doesn't even include a dock or wireless controllers so I think a $450 Switch Ultra sounds pretty good for what Drake is.

Im a Nintendo-only guy, but $600 would be on "wait for two years" status for me.
I don't believe Nintendo would ever release a console for more than $400

It would have to be worth that price in terms of the hardware and the amount of quality exclusive content coming to the system to justify the purchase. My Limit is probably $699.

If it's 600 dollars then I assume it would be a powerhouse of a console. In that case I would actually prefer they do that, so of course I'd buy it.

No.

I'd rather buy a Steam Deck for less.

But i don't think Nintendo is even considering going there, one aspect they have never compromised in 2 decades is the price point, they want their console to be affordable. I could see 399 ( would be already pushing for them) but i doubt more than that.

No console, be it Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft, is ever gonna launch at $599 or higher ever again. Not after the PS3.

Assumptions: they could avoid consumer confusion and maintain adequate stock of all the bits and pieces...

They should find a way to build a custom Switch Pro bundle depending on what you want, and relegate some of the 4K upscaling hardware to the dock.
  • Those that ONLY want handheld get a version of the OLED switch with boosted hardware but just a charging cable/charging only mini dock.
  • Those that want primarily great handheld experience but use TV get JUST the Switch Pro with charging cable or a base dock that simply outputs to TV like now and pay less.
  • Those that are really focused on great TV experience but some portable functionality get a boosted dock + something like the standard switch/switch lite that can has smaller screen but can play newer games.
  • Those that ONLY want the TV experience get something like a PSTV where it has all the hardware bits sans screen but can play Switch and Switch pro games.
Let's assume Switch Pro is BC with current accessories. I play primarily handheld and don't care about 4K. Let me just get the tablet + joy-con and use my current dock; output is 1080P max. Later on, I might want the 4K bump and could replace the dock with the better one.

It isn't really feasible with all of the SKU combinations and whatnot but would be great to have swappable components and let consumers cut out bits of cost they don't want.

have I got a surprise for you
Switch -> Switch 2 is a massive jump, but we're talking about Switch 2 -> Premium Switch 2, no? Like Xbox Series S and X both successors to the Xbox One, both launching at the same time at different price points.

Switch 2 @ $599 = no
Premium Switch 2 @ $599 = depends

Maybe if it was the Nintendo Ultracube that had cartridge and disc slots for every past console of theirs or something. But otherwise:

If the Switch successor was on par with portable PCs (the Aya Neos/SteamDecks/etc.) possibly.
I'd need to see what features it actually has. One thing that portable PC's have over something like the Switch (besides its hardware) is being able to in a pinch hook up to a usb hub and use it in regular (Linux/Windows) desktop mode.

I don't see Nintendo ever releasing a $599 console unless inflation at some point in the future puts prices for parts across many markets up that much though. More reasonable to expect at max a $399-499 price point than a $599 one

Assumptions: they could avoid consumer confusion and maintain adequate stock of all the bits and pieces...

They should find a way to build a custom Switch Pro bundle depending on what you want, and relegate some of the 4K upscaling hardware to the dock.
  • Those that ONLY want handheld get a version of the OLED switch with boosted hardware but just a charging cable/charging only mini dock.
  • Those that want primarily great handheld experience but use TV get JUST the Switch Pro with charging cable or a base dock that simply outputs to TV like now and pay less.
  • Those that are really focused on great TV experience but some portable functionality get a boosted dock + something like the standard switch/switch lite that can has smaller screen but can play newer games.
  • Those that ONLY want the TV experience get something like a PSTV where it has all the hardware bits sans screen but can play Switch and Switch pro games.
Let's assume Switch Pro is BC with current accessories. I play primarily handheld and don't care about 4K. Let me just get the tablet + joy-con and use my current dock; output is 1080P max. Later on, I might want the 4K bump and could replace the dock with the better one.

It isn't really feasible with all of the SKU combinations and whatnot but would be great to have swappable components and let consumers cut out bits of cost they don't want.
You are correct in that it isn’t feasible for various reasons but not just limited to variances in model: retail, distribution, target audience, marketing, etc. just becomes a mess & major headache.

Really depends on what the difference between it and the 'Switch Series S' would be.

I'd also be hesitant to carry an (assuming current ratios, AUD$900) console out as it would be a big target for theft, while I have no issues playing the Switch in public. That would dampen my enthusiasm a bit.

I mean, I wouldn’t not buy it. I have multiples of pretty much all Nintendo hardware because I’m bad with money a hardware enthusiast, so I can’t really act like I’d turn up my nose at fancy enthusiast-grade Nintendo hardware. I think I spent more than that on my Panasonic Q.

The market at large would reject it at $599, though. So I’d get a super fancy collector’s item, not a console that would get tons of support for years.

I don't think I said otherwise.
I'm not even saying a three tier Deck scenario or 600 USD is likely. Nintendo is more likely to make an affordable product due to larger economies of scale and reusing Switch OLED components.
Just wanted to give a frame of reference for a $500-$600 handheld. The Deck doesn't even include a dock or wireless controllers so I think a $450 Switch Ultra sounds pretty good for what Drake is.

I get what you mean, more so that if Nintendo offers more than one option - which I am all for - it needs to be distinct enough while offering parity. So a lite model, 720p max resolution, and say, a premium model which can dock and offer 4k and more oomph internally to take advantage of higher fidelity gaming and still achieving proper performance. Not sure if feasible. But it would give options for sure.

Well, as do I... but I pay 10-20 bucks a month as part of my monthly T-Mobile bill. Which is negligible. If Nintendo ever offered to do that for me, then sure I will pay 15 bucks a month for 24 months for a console I will use for years and never sell haha
You know, actually? I wouldn’t mind that either if it was a thing.

Should be an option lol

Regardless of the price.

Has someone ever though about a Switch Drake only home console? I mean... It would be a nice way to reduce the price (no screen, no battery, cheaper and bigger cooler).

I mean, I don't see Nintendo launching a new generation console at 500€, nor at 450€.

You know, actually? I wouldn’t mind that either if it was a thing.

Should be an option lol

Regardless of the price.
Microsoft has a thing where you can get a console bundled with Game Pass and pay for it as an interest-free subscription over two years. It’s actually cheaper to get a Series S this way, it comes out to $240 for the console as opposed to $299. Assuming you’re going to be continuously subscribed to Game Pass, of course, but if you’re buying an Xbox Series S you probably are.

Roughly 30% of members on a hardcore-oriented forum would buy a Switch 2 premium model at this price point. And 50% don't believe in the premise but might possibly bite in.

This is substantial since this audiance would obviously also buy tons of games for it.

How much storage space are we talking about? 512GB? 1TB? And there better be a larger battery to make up for the 1080p screen if the default base model is 720p.

But if majority of Drake handheld games are going to be set at 720p anyway, it could end up being a waste, unless Nintendo and devs have a 1080p handheld mode (with or without DLSS) for the majority of their games. I dunno.

I had to do a double take at the the price.$600, not $500. Uhh most likely not.

Yes I would buy it in a heartbeat because it will be the only way to assess Nintendo games. And I would hope that the system will be future proof. With that being said I will buy it in a heartbeat. Hopefully it will have Zelda and Xenoblade and fire emblem ready early on in the launch window

Roughly 30% of members on a hardcore-oriented forum would buy a Switch 2 premium model at this price point. And 50% don't believe in the premise but might possibly bite in.

This is substantial since this audiance would obviously also buy tons of games for it.
Well, I voted that there’s no way Nintendo would do that, but I wouldn’t buy a console for that price.

I don’t think you can extract much from the people who voted that option except we “don’t think Nintendo is that dumb”.

I would say 26% of the hardcore Nintendo audience, an audience that is not that big, is not an incredible number, but I might be downplaying the number of hardcore fans.

Yes I would buy it in a heartbeat because it will be the only way to assess Nintendo games. And I would hope that the system will be future proof. With that being said I will buy it in a heartbeat. Hopefully it will have Zelda and Xenoblade and fire emblem ready early on in the launch window
Wouldn’t be the only way. OP talks about a strategy like Microsoft’s, so I think they’re suggesting maybe a 399$ or 449$ option, and a premium 599$ option.

EDIT: Sorry for double posting.

600 euros ain't even that much in today's money, and it's probably gonna be even much less in tomorrow's money. So yes, I would if I deem it worth.

Probably not right away, no. I'm at a point where I have enough old stuff still to play so am mostly okay holding off for expensive consoles to either see a price drop or to 'leap frog' models (i.e. skip a hardware iteration, play catch-up over the next one, skip the next while continuing to go through older stuff, and so on).

Nintendo is not going to launch a console at 600$/€. It's maximum is the current 350$ from the OLED.

I am sure they won't surpass the limit of 400$.

It's not substantial. 74 people voting to buy the product on a small hard-core Nintendo forum has no statistically importance.

Perhaps the more compelling question would be "How many of you owned both Wii U AND 3DS, or both Wii and DS, or both GameCube and GBA?" - While it's true that $599 would be too much, you were already paying a lot to have full access to the Nintendo suite, if you owned both when they had separate home and portable consoles. For example, you paid a combined $299 at launch ($200 for GameCube, $99 for GBA), or $399 at launch ($249 for the Wii, $150 for the DS), or combined starting price of $549 at launch ($299 for the Basic Wii U, $250 for the 3DS). Now, we don't have to do that, BUT as we've been used to buying home and portable, perhaps it's not so unthinkable that Nintendo and their customers have considered what "access to the full suite" might look like today - $399 would still be a lower point of entry than the disc-drive PS5 and XSX, but it would also allow them more room to target higher-performing specs and other ideas. When we think about the "cheaper" options for PS/XBox, both are digital-only, and therefore don't offer resale options on games, while digital copies may retain higher prices, and you can't borrow/temporarily exchange copies between friends. Of course, it's understandable to want the dream combination of the easiest price on our wallets AND as much performance per $ as possible, and I suspect that more people would be willing to pay the price in question than are letting on, if the performance was sufficient to get ALL of the 3rdP titles that have typically appeared on PS/XBox, with parity and same date releases. That said, I don't think a $599 Nintendo platform is likely. When the OLED Model was revealed, I felt they were setting people up for the very real prospect of a $399 successor - At least, that's my prediction for the successor's price. Looking at the "Full Suite" prices, I'm not so sure most people will bite above $399. I would also add that now there's no portable line to help them weather another Wii U-esque storm, and mobile tech is advancing at a rapid rate, they can no longer afford to let their hardware design be relatively underwhelming, unambitious and beaten out by mid-range premium to flagship-specced phones upon launch (I've been of the belief that that won't happen...). The Drake leaks are especially encouraging because they point to tech disruption and an "industry leading" approach.

With the Switch overwhelming success, Nintendo can easily get away with a 400 dollars console, regardless of its power.

450 - 500 dollars is a harder ask, but I think its doable for the first two years, if they have the software to back it up.

I think it's more possible to see a Switch Drake Home Console at $300-$350 than a Switch Drake hybrid at $600.

I don't see people considering that a device like Switch Drake (hybrid) being like two console (home and handheld) since Switch already managed that at $350.

Back
Top Bottom