• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Would you buy a 599 USD Switch successor ?

It's a big ask, but...

• Yes

Votes: 84 26.8%
  • No

Votes: 65 20.7%
  • There is no way a Nintendo console launches at this price point

Votes: 165 52.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I deliberately left that out.
Fair enough. I’d usually assess value as much in the comparison as a hardline on pricing though. If it’s +£200 for a better screen and bigger internal memory, I’ll stick with the base unit. If it’s an extra £80 or whatever I might be tempted. Odds are I’d just go for the cheap model though, particularly as I only really use portables anyway and performance in general doesn’t bother me.

This is never happening, and the market would (rightly) reject it if it ever did.

To answer for me specifically, no, I’m not spending that kind of money on a new console, no matter what that console is.

$450 USD is already about $600 CAD before tax, and I'm having a tough enough time trying to swallow that pill for the rumoured next console. $500 USD and I'm waiting for long-term hardware use reviews because I don't want to be spending that much just to find out we have the same Joycon drift issues.

$600 USD? $800 CAD? Nearly a grand? I could think of many vulgar acts that I'd demand this Switch accomplish before I drop that kind of coin.

Totally. As someone who sold their switch because was getting frustrated with performance and iq issues I'd love to see Nintendo considering this market.
The good thing is that depending on how they do this they could minimize the R&D costs.

If Nintendo releases a console for 599$/599€, I would expect Nintendo to also go the extra mile and increase the games to 70$/80€, and then I would buy fewer and fewer games :(

That would be like £550? Flip, I couldn't. It'd kill me not to own it but as a parent I couldn't justify it. I got lucky when the PS5 came out cos I just received a redundancy payment (lucky in hindsight, was a stressful few months. I deserved that shiny new console)

That would be like £550? Flip, I couldn't. It'd kill me not to own it but as a parent I couldn't justify it. I got lucky when the PS5 came out cos I just received a redundancy payment (lucky in hindsight, was a stressful few months. I deserved that shiny new console)
I love your avatar!

y’all seen switch prices in Canada? I can’t afford that shit now let alone at $599 USD

I don’t even want to buy a PS5 or X at 500 bucks. 300 - 400 has been my max ranges for consoles since the 90s.

If they ever did two models and one was 300 and the other 400/500, then I would hesitate, but you can bet it would be my only console of the big three.

“There is no way a Nintendo console launched at this price point”

It’s sort of silly to even entertain this in a thread.
I think it's worth asking this question bc it's the underlying, unstated premise of the desires of many ppl who want Nintendo to make more powerful hardware. Since Nintendo doesn't sell hardware at a loss, we'd be looking at $600 USD in order to get everything this crowd wants.

I think the PS3 "599 US dollars" memes back in 2006 scared away any companies from wanting a game console that expensive ever again.

I likely would, granted there was some worthwhile software. Nintendo would never price it that high though.

While I would buy I don't think that a $600 price tag would work. That's more than PS5 and XBSX for a system that will only play enchanced games of the base version. If they want to pull this out I think $450.00 would be the max they could charge.

I think it's worth asking this question bc it's the underlying, unstated premise of the desires of many ppl who want Nintendo to make more powerful hardware. Since Nintendo doesn't sell hardware at a loss, we'd be looking at $600 USD in order to get everything this crowd wants.
Nothing's ever going to be enough, but a return to what was available for $300 in 2017 would be a big improvement over what's available for $350 in 2022. At $600 returns would be pretty diminished, wouldn't reasonably expect something much beyond what they'd do at $450.

Nintendo might not charge 600 but I bet scalpers will or maybe higher so I might have to pay that to get it at launch

I think the PS3 "599 US dollars" memes back in 2006 scared away any companies from wanting a game console that expensive ever again.
I’m sure it’ll happen eventually, but it’ll be a while, I think. And it’ll be a console that has a cheaper version too (as the PS3 did). Like, I could see a future Xbox Series #S and #X pair go for $399 and $599. At some point it’s probably not going to be viable to sell a “next-gen” console for $299 just due to inflation. New consoles used to start at $199 (which is of course much more than that in today’s money inflation-adjusted), not so much any more. Eventually $299 will probably be the same.

For the sake of the experiment, let's assume the more expensive option launches with more storage space, a 1080p screen, HDR and VRR support and a vastly superior wireless communication chip.
Sure, if we're assuming there's options. OLED should be a given. Though if there's $100 gap between a premium and base model, this implies the base model is $500, which is probably too much.

But it would seem like 1080p, HDR, and VRR should be in the base model, developers should be able to make use of those modes with the assumption that all new Switches will have those instead of a 'premium' subset of them.

Nintendo always uses few-years old hardware so they can avoid selling at a loss... And even then, the prices are usually pretty fair. Think the most expensive Nintendo console in my life would be WiiU Deluxe and switch OLED at $350.

$600 usd could happen over the next few decades due to inflation. But I'd be shocked if the next one was any more than $400.

In any case yes I would buy it lol

I think my favourite part about this hypothetical is that if Nintendo ever got it into their heads that they can sell a console for $599 it'd also be an absolute piece of shit at that price.

Nothing's ever going to be enough, but a return to what was available for $300 in 2017 would be a big improvement over what's available for $350 in 2022. At $600 returns would be pretty diminished, wouldn't reasonably expect something much beyond what they'd do at $450.
Exactly, $300-400 with today's tech would produce incredible results. That's the range I hope they stay in.

Even $399 would make it the most expensive (non-adjusted) Nintendo console ever, eclipsing the $349 Wii U Deluxe Set and the Switch OLED. I think that’s probably where they aimed this console, originally. They might end up feeling like they need to go a little above that, due to the wild inflation we’ve seen over the past two years, but I don’t think they’ll go 50% above that.

It’ll be the premium Switch but I still think they want it to be within reach of the mass market and not, like, some weird luxury play. Even $449 would elicit cries of “wow, that new Switch sure is overpriced,” even from people who are buying $499 Xboxes and PlayStations. Nintendo just doesn’t have the brand where they can sell a ~$500 electronics product, I think. Nor would they want to.

I think they’ll try really hard to hit $399.

Switch 2: Home Console Edition? I absolutely drop $599. No portability whatsoever, just power. I salivate at the thought.

A more Premium Switch 2? Eh, I'd still likely be in, but I'd have to research and hear that the power jump is substantial... and it probably wouldn't be.

Unless the console features a margarita maker built within, I am not buying at $600+ CAD

Hehehe

no

Edit: it’s funny, I’ve been conditioned to spend $900-$1000 for a new smart phone every couple years (5-7), but I find a $600 video game Console to be too much in this day and age when it would live for about the same time.

Like I have zero issues spending that much for my phone but me seeing a video game console for a fraction of that phone price I find to be too much, you feel me reader?

So, I’d say maybe? I don’t really need a 1080p display though. 720p is fine by me.

If it guarantees the following:
Native handheld resolution
60fps for all first party titles
Improved Online experience

Then absolutely yes.

Cannot guarantee that. Some developers will go for IQ and 30fps over 60fps (which IMO is also perfectly fine).

honestly yeah

real talk: I use my Switch every day. I use, as in hands-on actively use, my Switch more than my well over $1000 smartphone. $599 for a premium switch? Sure. Let’s go.

I would estimate my upper ceiling on “premium switch” price is somewhere around $1000 Canadian.

Clicked on “There’s no way…” since we learned Nintendo is reading forums and social media and I don’t want to pay more then 399$/€

No. At 600$ not only a price cut would be obviously needed to actually sell but also an inevitability.
So I'd just wait until it dipped down to at least 400-450.

Everyone and their grandma by now agrees that the max. they could possibly charge for a "switch pro" without losing a good chunk of their consumer base is 400$.

No. At 600$ not only a price cut would be obviously needed to actually sell but also an inevitability.
So I'd just wait until it dipped down to at least 400-450.

Everyone and their grandma by now agrees that the max. they could possibly charge for a "switch pro" without losing a good chunk of their consumer base is 400$.
My assumption is that it will be treated as a super-premium product in the same line, and that the road we'll see a die shrink/downmarket SKU to replace Mariko hardware outright. So I wouldn't be surprised to see it at $399 or $449.

599 USD is more like 1000 USD where I live, so nope.

Don‘t know if I should vote “yes” or ”there is no way a Nintendo console launches at this price point.” Ultimately, $600, even $1,000, is a really good value for a device you’re going to spend potentially ten thousand plus hours using over the course of several years.

However, I think the average person doesn’t see it that way and anything over $500 before taxes would be a disastrous price point. Most parents especially aren’t willing to pay that much if the console is going to be used primarily by their kids.

I would, but I can't see them launching at that price, and if they had cheaper SKUs I'd definitely get one of those instead of the most expensive one

Yes, but I wouldn't buy it until the first must-play game, like a 3D Zelda or Mario, was released.

As long as the hardware isn't awful (Wii U) Nintendo would probably have to go over $1k for me to not consider buying it.

If it justifies the price then I'd begrudgingly do it eventually. But I'd hold out for as long as I can hoping that a price drop will come and wait for a bunch of games to release first

Back
Top Bottom