• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Would you buy a 599 USD Switch successor ?

It's a big ask, but...

• Yes

Votes: 84 26.8%
  • No

Votes: 65 20.7%
  • There is no way a Nintendo console launches at this price point

Votes: 165 52.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kenka

Like Like
Pronouns
He/Him
Microsoft launched two consoles day 1 on the market with two different market segments in mind. So far, it proved to be a winning strategy.

Do you think Nintendo will go the same route, and if yes, would you buy a premium unit?

For the sake of the experiment, let's assume the more expensive option launches with more storage space, a 1080p screen, HDR and VRR support and a vastly superior wireless communication chip.

“There is no way a Nintendo console launched at this price point”

It’s sort of silly to even entertain this in a thread.

Realistically if it was the only way to play Mario, Metroid, Zelda going forward I'd kind of have to, but I would 100% be loudly complaining about it if it wasn't a massive leap forward.

For a Switch successor specifically, I do not believe they would create something high end enough to charge $600. Maybe Switch 4 or 5 if inflation becomes absurd enough.

I don’t think they would launch a console at 599, even if it is accompanied by a reasonably priced unit. That being said, I would not buy any console at that price point. 399 has always been the most I was willing to pay.

Obvious answer is that Nintendo wouldn’t launch a console at a 600 USD pricepoint, but for the sake of argument, yes I probably would buy it as long as it remains hybrid. Would take me a few months to save up for, though.

I voted option 3, but to be clear, were it not there, it'd be a no. So I consider option 3 in the poll to be a more emphatic "no".

nope
I will wait for a "Lite" version, or a price cut

I bought a Series S, for example, not a Series X, and I'm not gonna buy a PS5, until a slim-small-cheaper version will hit the market

this despite me saving a lot of money on software, due to review codes (of course not for every game I'd want, but still..)

No way. 400 is the magic border. Anyway, i have such a big backlog, i can play my Switch for years to come.

I don’t think they would launch a console at 599, even if it is accompanied by a reasonably priced unit. That being said, I would not buy any console at that price point. 399 has always been the most I was willing to pay.
Thats where im at. with everything going on i could even see 450 as a "reasonable max"...but 599? no chance. I would wait for either a radical drop in price or some really sweet bundles. And for that price it really needs to shine big time. At least PS4 Pro level, since it comes out 2 years after PS5 and costs more, have 256GB storage and quick resume.

600 bucks seems steep
I'm expecting between 450 - 500 at most but aint no way Nintendo is gonna have the most expensive device among the three console makers.

I would, but there's no way a Nintendo console launches at that price point.

If it guarantees the following:
Native handheld resolution
60fps for all first party titles
Improved Online experience

Then absolutely yes.
I mean, native handheld resolution on a 720p screen should be given, and improved online as well, even if its "just" 400€.
only 60fps for all games is not obviously better (having a slow paced jrpg/adventure game...yeah, tehre i prefere better visuals then 60fps. its pretty simple, and many do to. its a trade of between those 2)

What i wanted to say:i expect those things in a successor, irrelevant of the price. But knowing how they operate, the online wont be improved at all, even if it would be 600. Its not coupled to the console, and the console is usually not the problem.
Its mostly connections, badly programmed online modes in games, no dedicated servers....nothing a better switch would have over a regular one. (and heck, even a ethernet port can be added via usb to the old one, price 10$)

Almost assuredly not, and I can't imagine Nintendo is crazy enough to out price the competition.

if I’m honest? probably. but I can’t imagine they’d release a console at that price.

I don‘t think that there is no way. Not that I‘m expecting to cost Drake that much, but it could easily be between 499.- to 549.- (including all regions). The future of consumer electronics looks expensive.

I hate to be boring and say Nintendo would never do this, but Nintendo would never do this.

Hypothetically if they did release a $600 premium console, I would hope they would also have a cheaper version like a Series S. I don’t think I could spend that much money on a console.

A huge NO from me if it's just a Switch 2, but if it's some kind of a premium Switch 2 that supports VR, it seems like a great deal.

1. They wouldn’t do it.
2. If they did, I’d buy it. They’d have a pretty rough time next gen other than fans with a bit of disposable income tho.

Microsoft launched two consoles day 1 on the market with two different market segments in mind. So far, it proved to be a winning strategy.

Do you think Nintendo will go the same route, and if yes, would you buy a premium unit?

For the sake of the experiment, let's assume the more expensive option launches with more storage space, a 1080p screen, HDR and VRR support and a vastly superior wireless communication chip.

The more expensive option having yet another resolution would be such a MESS for the developers.

A crossgen game would have 5 different profiles:

Switch portable
Switch docked
Switch 2 portable
Switch 2 premium portable
Switch 2 docked

yeah good luck.

Nintendo's key pillar has always been affordability for the younger audience.

If the premium is ~£525 but the standard model is £325 and plays the same games, then yeah I’m getting the standard, that’s expensive enough. Even if the standard were £425 I’d likely still get the cheaper model, I just don’t care enough about incremental improvements to pay for the upgrade.

Yes, if it comes with the Nintendo OS that can do general computing as well as cellular phone calls. In fact, that should be the price of the Nphone.

As a pure gaming system? It will tank at that price.

Nope.

€ 500 is my max. I’m totally preparing Nintendo to head towards € 399 territory though.

I would buy any Nintendo main system for any price as long as it’s not like $2k+

Yeah, as Nintendo consoles in general are a big part of how I spent my free time I find it worth my money.

That said it also depends on the specs for sure.

I'd only consider buying a Nintendo console at that price if the major first-party games (new 3D Mario, new Zelda, Smash) were exclusives. And that's probably not how it's going to play out, there will be a crossgen period. In this case, i'll be more than happy by using my Switch Lite until it falls to pieces lmao

I would buy a System at that price but only if the Tech justified that.
"Drake" looks on Paper really good but that System will not launch at 600 Dollar/Euro, no way.
I Think 450 to 500 Dollar are more in Line imo

Honestly, I'm not buying any sort of Switch Successor until it has a whole pile of exclusives I can't play on the Switch I have.

500 is at the extreeeeeme end of what I expect. But personally, as a big Nintendo fan with enough money to spare and knowing I'd use the device for thousands of hours, a few hundred dollars isn't going to stop me.

A separate premium "Series X" type option makes a lot less sense for a portable, where size/heat/battery are real issues. I suppose they could go for something Steam Deck sized that ran games using the "home" profile, but it doesn't seem something worth doing.
If it guarantees the following:
Native handheld resolution
60fps for all first party titles
These are possible today, it would just involve Nintendo rejecting a lot more games.

It would depend largely on the launch software and future known pipeline, but if it has the games I want to play then yeah, I’d probably shell out $600 for it at launch.

Back
Top Bottom