• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Will the Switch ever get a price drop?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4629
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4629

With the Switch 2 rumored to release next year, one has to think if the Switch will ever get a price drop

Most likely after the successor launch. A $150 Switch Lite could be a tempting offer for those who are uninterested in Switch but wanted to play 1-2 exclusive games.

Most likely after the successor launch. A $150 Switch Lite could be a tempting offer for those who are uninterested in Switch but wanted to play 1-2 exclusive games.
In effect they’re already doing that on 10/6

But I fully expect those to go to $150 by end of 2024, especially if Switch 2 is backwards compatible as that gives people a very cheap way into the Nintendo ecosystem that they can trade up for later

Probably.

I also think current games will get the Nintendo Selects treatment once Drake is out.
A $20 version of Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, etc right alongside a free 4K DLSS update, maybe even slapped in a Drake cartridge, they'll get that bag.

Heck, I've seen the Lite being sold for that price already multiple times in sales, so a permanent price drop makes sense, plus Nintendo likes to keep a second pillar around, just in case. It's why they supported the 3DS with new (and often great) software long past the switch's release.

I could only see it happening a few weeks in advance of the launch at the earliest, once sales drop off fast as people start saving for the new one. Even now, Switch is still selling really well, why drop the price when they don’t have to and they can get a seventh holiday season out of it at full whack. What a solid run.

If the new console comes out in March, I think we might see a Switch price drop in February or just after (to avoid ‘feels bad’ for parents who bought one in the run up to Christmas). If it releases next Autumn, I’d expect a price drop next summer to tide it over.

It’s wild for a console to still be selling this well, this far into its lifespan, but things will likely change quickly as soon as that reveal happens.

Probably not, which is insane when you think about it.

Nintendo will just quietly discontinue the system. You might see a random Target clearance sighting, but otherwise Nintendo will ride out the 2017 MSRP into the sunset.

I think when Switch 2 releases we will likely see a -$50 price cut for Switch Lite and OLED possibly with the OG Switch line being discontinued. Switch 2 likely going for $399. I anticipate the generational transition to Switch 2 will be very different from prior generation shifts. Nintendo has been having record breaking profit due to insane hardware and software sales that have shown no signs of slowing down. No way Nintendo is going to cut the brakes off of that revenue stream when they realistically won’t be able to produce enough Switch 2 units to even compensate for stopping Switch production and software development. Not too mention 4K development will take time and adjustment for their development studios and the hardware will sell terribly with software droughts and buggy game releases if they cut the brakes on Switch and go full throttle with Switch 2. We’ve seen it with Xbox and PS as well as every Nintendo system with major power boosts such as N64, GCN, 3DS and Wii U. I would anticipate the vast majority of first and third party titles to be dual release OG Switch/Switch 2 titles until the audience is large enough and the development studios are well adept at 4K development.

My gut reaction says with Covid raising the price for certain items and goods in addition to inflation. The ship on price decreases sailed with it.

Probably when the Switch 2 comes out but not by much, only like $50. The days of consoles getting notable price cuts seems to be gone

Why would they do this when they can make money
this wouldn't make them extra money, they might lose money on it. most of the systems would be discontinued anyway, so if they can squeeze every last penny before hitting the stop button, it's an option

this wouldn't make them extra money, they might lose money on it. most of the systems would be discontinued anyway, so if they can squeeze every last penny before hitting the stop button, it's an option
It would sell more switches theoretically than if they didn't do a price drop though. So they'd get money rather than not, I suppose

As long as they think they can make profit by selling the current models, they will continue to produce them. Given how Switch dosen‘t seem to be bothered by anything and is at a way better place then 3DS which they also discontinued after the release of the next console and able to sell another 10 million units, it‘s not unreasonable to expect that the Switch would do well at a lower price even with NG already there.

It would sell more switches theoretically than if they didn't do a price drop though. So they'd get money rather than not, I suppose
Would it?
OLED still seems like it’s riding the thin margin line so there is loss of money there. Consistently is the most popular of three models sales wise.
OG is probably the only one that benefits from a reduction in price while still maintaining profitable margins.
If people aren’t going crazy for a 200$ Lite then I’m not sure what an extra 50$ off is gonna do. Margins on this are hazy but wouldn’t be shocked if it is in a somewhat similar situation as OLED.

I expect retailers to drop prices to clear stock rather then Nintendo doing a permanent drop. Same with software since I don’t foresee them returning with a Selects line.

Given Nintendo's track record and some stats from Priceva, a Switch price drop might be unlikely until there's a new console release on the horizon. They tend to maintain prices to preserve perceived value. But with the Switch's enduring popularity, maybe they'll surprise us to keep the momentum going in the face of newer competitors. In any case, I always advise buying such things for some holidays when there are discounts on them.

Last edited:
Expectation: Nintendo lowering the price of oled when switch 2 is announce
Reality: Nintendo releasing 3 or 4 special editions at the exact same price, releasing 1 week before switch 2

Back
Top Bottom