• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler Will Tears of the Kingdom's DLC take us to space? Should it?

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
Tears of the Kingdom will most likely have some inevitable DLC coming, some expansion pass of sorts. What that expansion pass will entail will remain a mystery until it's revealed. The Master Trials for BotW gave us a hard mode and some cool costumes, while The Champion's Ballad was a story add-on. I personally don't think it's too far-fetched to ask for something similar for TotK - not necessarily a "story" DLC, but additional in-game content in the form of an expanded world and new challenges.

And if DLC is indeed what's up next in the world of Zelda: It's time. They just can't hold this back any longer. Space.

Seriously:

1. Verticality is a huge factor of the entire TotK experience. Dropping down from the islands to the ground is an integral part of the loop, as is going underground. Taking this concept further up only makes sense to me from a design philosophy standpoint. And making a new set-piece in space that culminates in a space station dungeon is practically a scenario that writes itself.
2. The game takes us very, very, very high in the sky. Going to the highest up island and taking a balloon up as far as you can literally makes you feel like you're scratching the stratosphere. One can only imagine the sheer thrill to go up, only to see new islands slowly fade in above, and the sky turning all starry.
3. The Zonai devices are, like, tailor-made for building spaceships. Just pull out some new dispensers to spit out enhanced rockets, satellites, antennas, the whole nine yards.
4. Tears of the Kingdom was built on many ideas that couldn't fit for BotW. We have already seen the UFO concept, as well as the more jokingly made Link with a space suit. But many of those GDC slides made it into the game, even a dang motorbike. Who's to say that that was the end of it?
5. I personally don't think it would be "out of place" for Zelda - if you ask me, they shattered the "out of place" barrier already with makeshift tractors. Might as well go the full mile. Bring it.

(Please try to keep the discussion spoiler-free. If you really feel the need to address something story-related, mark spoilers)

I hope that it's something different than what we got with BOTW, which I found to be rather disappointing. The difficulty of those expansions felt super ramped up compared to the rest of the game.

Like, why and how could there be a spaceship? How does Link get there? If you're suggesting that he ascends up there, extending the verticality of the game, the spaceship must be orbiting directly above Hyrule. But it would still be really far up. So he would basically need to magically warp there, which is not a problem for the game world as we know, but that doesn't build on the verticality concept.

Also I just don't like the idea personally

nah i dont think so - i imagine theres some kind of Zonai war lord or something maybe... like the Mad Monk - i could see them putting in 2 player co-op as like the big gameplay thing too

It should take us to the Zonai homeworld which is a hollow earth. At the end it is revealed that we were inside the moon all along.

kidding but not really

I want one of these two things:

1) A major questline revolving around Zonai. With new and varied sky islands appearing in layers ascending higher and higher, as well as new sky enemies patroling those layers, as well as new Zonai Devices and Fuse fodder (I imagined... ZONAI GUN... turning into different kind of gun depending on the fusion). They can also create new stuff in the Depths.

At least four new dungeons appearing. BotW's DLC dungeon was superior to base Divine Beasts, so I imagine that particular aspect could repeat.

2) Past shenanigans with playable Zelda.

The fact that they had put a hard wall at the top of the sky strongly suggest to me that the cap is almost definitive, I fear.

I'd much rather see a stand alone campaign then more content duct taped into TotK's world. It could be a Zelda campaign during the events of TotK, a story of Link & Zelda traveling to a nearby kingdom before/after TotK, or a small adventure focused on a new Link/Character that borrows TotK's mechanics but is in a new area. Make the dlc $20-$30 and make this area like 3-4 totk regions big.

I for sure thought the low gravity stuff prepares us for something in the late game (or DLC).
Don't these squads after you help them defeating the enemies talk about "Blood moon is next"?
Maybe I misunderstood.

I want some Torna like big expansion for 40 Dollars. With missions were you play Zelda during the imprisoning war.
And some new sky islands.

That is more of a BotW 3 kind of idea IMO
I'm fairly confident the next open air Zelda is going to be a completely new Link (and Zelda if she's involved in that games plot) in a new region (or a new Hyrule). The idea of this "short" epilogue dlc would be to give fans of this Link/Zelda closure for those characters.

I for sure thought the low gravity stuff prepares us for something in the late game (or DLC).
Don't these squads after you help them defeating the enemies talk about "Blood moon is next"?
Maybe I misunderstood.

I want some Torna like big expansion for 40 Dollars. With missions were you play Zelda during the imprisoning war.
And some new sky islands.

To add to that. I want to destroy the blood moon, clear the whole map of monsters and rebuild Hyrule (castle town especially). :)

Can we hold off on these speculation threads a little longer? It's a huge game and it hasn't been out that long. I don't know if I can call it a spoiler, exactly, because it's for something that's not in the game, but I don't want to find out that I'm not going to space in TotK from a thread title, I want to keep as much mystery as I can while still playing.

If we keep speculating about the next game I'm scared I'll see a thread title that says, to make up an example, "should they expand Spongebob's roll in the next Zelda" and have a suprise ruined, you know?

Hmmm. I'm more into breath of-the-sea DLC. Do some Wind Waker like seafaring with islands, challenges and new Boss- Monsters.

I would like a Majora’s Mask scenario where we travel to a new land, not so much the 3 day mechanic, maybe even have multiple islands like in wind waker.

I want to travel to new lands, but as much as I want I don’t want another continent the same size as hyrule is, not yet anyway, make it the size of two or three of Hyrules continent’s put together.

Nah, 0G gameplay would be it's own game and not DLC. Same with underwater. Too much manipulation of the engine would be required to do so.

I think they will do expansion to Hyrule at most, but we will likely just get added content and quests.

Like, why and how could there be a spaceship? How does Link get there? If you're suggesting that he ascends up there, extending the verticality of the game, the spaceship must be orbiting directly above Hyrule. But it would still be really far up. So he would basically need to magically warp there, which is not a problem for the game world as we know, but that doesn't build on the verticality concept.

Also I just don't like the idea personally
I mean we are 100% not getting space DLC for TOTK but you know there are literally rockets in the game right?

Anyway I really hope they give us some challenges where you are required to build some more complex contraptions in order to solve puzzles. The puzzles where you have to build stuff (and building in general) are the best parts of TOTK but the solutions are usually pretty simple. I mean you can (and I have) built some stupid complex designs to accomplish tasks but it has not been necessary for me so far. (Note: I have not finished the game by a long shot so maybe there is more of this but I am basing it off my experience so far).

Tears of the Kingdom will most likely have some inevitable DLC coming, some expansion pass of sorts. What that expansion pass will entail will remain a mystery until it's revealed. The Master Trials for BotW gave us a hard mode and some cool costumes, while The Champion's Ballad was a story add-on. I personally don't think it's too far-fetched to ask for something similar for TotK - not necessarily a "story" DLC, but additional in-game content in the form of an expanded world and new challenges.

And if DLC is indeed what's up next in the world of Zelda: It's time. They just can't hold this back any longer. Space.

Seriously:

1. Verticality is a huge factor of the entire TotK experience. Dropping down from the islands to the ground is an integral part of the loop, as is going underground. Taking this concept further up only makes sense to me from a design philosophy standpoint. And making a new set-piece in space that culminates in a space station dungeon is practically a scenario that writes itself.
2. The game takes us very, very, very high in the sky. Going to the highest up island and taking a balloon up as far as you can literally makes you feel like you're scratching the stratosphere. One can only imagine the sheer thrill to go up, only to see new islands slowly fade in above, and the sky turning all starry.
3. The Zonai devices are, like, tailor-made for building spaceships. Just pull out some new dispensers to spit out enhanced rockets, satellites, antennas, the whole nine yards.
4. Tears of the Kingdom was built on many ideas that couldn't fit for BotW. We have already seen the UFO concept, as well as the more jokingly made Link with a space suit. But many of those GDC slides made it into the game, even a dang motorbike. Who's to say that that was the end of it?
5. I personally don't think it would be "out of place" for Zelda - if you ask me, they shattered the "out of place" barrier already with makeshift tractors. Might as well go the full mile. Bring it.

(Please try to keep the discussion spoiler-free. If you really feel the need to address something story-related, mark spoilers)
Super Zelda Galaxy

You heard it here first folks!

I'm fairly confident the next open air Zelda is going to be a completely new Link (and Zelda if she's involved in that games plot) in a new region (or a new Hyrule). The idea of this "short" epilogue dlc would be to give fans of this Link/Zelda closure for those characters.
just a gut feeling, but I think Nintendo and Aonuma are going to make it a trilogy with it being aonuma's last Zelda game

Space as in more floating islands? Eh. They're pretty weak as parts of the game go tbh.

Now, if they take us back to the moon with a new style of land (smaller but still good enough) and potential for modified physics puzzles and we could be talking.

I was interested in the potential of space and a low / zero gravity dungeon. I’m still interested but

There is a series of islands with low gravity and they didn’t do much with it? I’m glad we got to see it for what it is worth. Maybe there is another area or shrine with it, but I haven’t seen it yet.

Then Links meets Samus and then they fly to Corneria to pick up Fox McCloud to search for Olimar in the woods.

New music for the towns DLC pls and tx

Seriously though, adding some unique looking sky islands and extra deep chasms - with new towns and a fresh biome - would go a long way! But going by the BotW DLC the artists have likely already moved on to other projects a while ago and it's left to the designers to repurpose as many assets as they can.

how would the epd expansion be going btw?

I was interested in the potential of space and a low / zero gravity dungeon. I’m still interested but

There is a series of islands with low gravity and they didn’t do much with it? I’m glad we got to see it for what it is worth. Maybe there is another area or shrine with it, but I haven’t seen it yet.
This is an update to my last post:

I was pleased to see low gravity again in the top right corner of the map and I did not expect at all it’d be in a shrine that was basically the Warthog escape at the end of Halo and Halo 3. That was incredible lol.

I hope that it's something different than what we got with BOTW, which I found to be rather disappointing. The difficulty of those expansions felt super ramped up compared to the rest of the game.

They did, but once you got the measure of them, then they turned out to be fantastic.

Champions Ballad - ok yeah, the one hit kill opening section is brutal, but it really tests your arcade preciseness and wits. The rest is fantastic - shrine find and seek, situational Blight battle, and then the huge awesome 5th divine beast.

Master Sword Trials - I say these were actually amazing. The absolute distillation of the BOTW experience, really testing your resourcefulness. The only negative is that it is broken on Master Mode effectively.

What I'd like to see from the DLC would be:

Champions Ballad type thing - I want to see the Sky get a new dungeon and a real playground in order to get up to it. I want to see something hosted in the Depths too.

Master Sword Trials - fully expect to see this be a thing again. There were kind of one off trials in some of the shrines, I'd expect to see a 10 stager of easy, medium & hard again.

Outside of that - surprise me!

Zelda has elves, magic swords, dragons, centaurs and goblins as a mix of fairytale fantasy elements pulling from all over the world.
There’s knights, princesses, castles, polearms, archery as a sort of quasi-medieval theme.
There’s also pirates, ninjas, Ganon as a sort of quasi dark samurai in contrast to Link as a royal knight. The rainforest adds a kinda South American feel.
Skydiving and snowboarding exist as extreme sports in Hyrule. So does tourism.
Then the Zonai start with hot air balloons and fans and electric lights, before building up to all-terrain vehicles packing cannons, mechs with laser weapons, hovercraft etc.

At this point I’m struggling to think of what you can’t include in Zelda as the art style and general feel of Hyrule let it include pretty much anything as long as it gets that twist that industrial stuff is largely Zonai but fantasy stuff dwells in the realm of myth, pop culture and fairytale.

For me it’s the vibe that’s important. Right from the off, the vibe of Hyrule is that these are brave, courageous, adventurous people. Some are more effective than others, some get caught up in their daily worries, but as a setting everyone seems to barely blink between having killer dragons flapping about above, some new tech being built that will apparently change everything, going backpacking to see some ruins that fell out of the sky, or just growing pumpkins because that’s what you do. It’s amazing how the Hyrule of BOTW, a land with pockets clinging on, transforms into one of high energy exploration and science as soon as Zelda and Link get them going again by defeating Calamity Ganon.

Decided to add a spoiler tag due to the direction the discussion has taken. Still, mark the more heavy stuff behind tags, better safe than sorry.

To add to that. I want to destroy the blood moon, clear the whole map of monsters and rebuild Hyrule (castle town especially). :)

The blood moon in and of itself would maybe make for a pretty dope bonus dungeon - like, we destroy it from the inside.

Can you imagine going up to the blood moon to destroy it, realizing it's actually a humongous mecha piloted by [TotK spoilers] Mucktorok

Seriously:

There was a line in the game that caught my attention that mentioned the Zonai people "descending upon these lands", which sort of implies they arrived from space? Or maybe I'm reading too much into that? Probably still a huge reach, and there's like a 99% chance space wont be involved but I agree with you that it wouldn't be that out of place, and would be very cool if it happened.

There was a line in the game that caught my attention that mentioned the Zonai people "descending upon these lands", which sort of implies they arrived from space? Or maybe I'm reading too much into that? Probably still a huge reach, and 99% chance space wont be involved but I agree with you it wouldn't be that out of place and would be very cool if it happened.
The line you're referring to:
"Long ago, my people, known as the Zonai, came from the heavens to the surface of the world. It was said they were the descendants of gods..."

For anyone who has played TotK there's a pretty obvious reason for Link to go there...

No I didn't, thanks for the spoiler though lol. Not all rockets are space rockets!
I apologize for the spoiler but they are shown in the trailers. And while not all rockets can be used to get to space the basic idea is the same. It is mostly a matter of scale.

I don't see why it would be any more off-topic than time travel or parallel universes, which are the norm in the franchise. I think the idea is cool. I think even a Cyberlink 2077 would work. What I love most about the Zelda narrative mythos is that it's timeless.

Back
Top Bottom