• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Will Mainline Persona Ever Come To Switch? Update: Yes! It’s Time To Make History!

Will Mainline Persona Come To Switch?

• Yes

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #TrustTheProcess
Ok Fami, it’s time for us to decide. Will mainline Persona ever come to Switch? Look deep inside your soul and reach out to the truth. This includes: Persona, Persona 2 Innocent Sin, Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 5, and any future mainline sequels. Make sure to commit in the poll above.

Bonus question if yes, what game will come first? Tell us why.

I think mainline Persona will come to Switch. I’m personally content since we have Persona 4 Arena Ultimax now coming and Tokyo Mirage Sessions, the two best Persona games, but outside of native Kingdom Hearts, I can think of no game more perfect for Switch than Persona 3/4/5 that isn’t on the platform yet. It’s been a long time coming, but I think the shrinking market for PlayStation in Japan and the success of Persona 4 Golden on PC will push Atlus over the edge. It could take a year or a few, but with the help of Sega a mainline game will come sometime in the extended life of the Switch. My first guess for what will come is Persona 4 Golden since it having a PC version might make it easier to port.

No. Atlus is one of the most tone def companies in all of gaming and even if they decided they wanted to, Sony would lock those games down just because they can.

Man, i don't know. Atlus is literally refusing money at this point, P3, 4 and 5 would sell at least 1 million each on the Switch. So I don't know if they have a good reason not to port them, like some agreement with Sony, or if it's some kind of loyalty philosophy or whatever.

Feels like a trick question to me. If it comes, I think it'll be to the hardware after Switch. Maybe P5R will release on Switch in commemoration of the event of a new mainline Persona hitting the next Nintendo hardware, but that's a big maybe.

So, feeling a bit boxed in, I voted yes, with the above caveat.

Feels like a trick question to me. If it comes, I think it'll be to the hardware after Switch. Maybe P5R will release on Switch in commemoration of the event of a new mainline Persona hitting the next Nintendo hardware, but that's a big maybe.

I debated throwing in a third poll option, but I wanted simple gut reactions. I don’t know how Dane will ultimately be positioned so I felt it was best not to overcomplicate it. The spirit of the thread is the original Switch hardware, but regardless we win whenever/however it comes.

What is Sega doing? They should’ve ported them all a long time ago. Persona 5 had a ps3 version. Shouldn’t all Persona game be able to run on Switch? The amount of work requires has to be worth it, right?

The Switch is in my opinion the perfect time to get the series on other platforms. P4G should have been ported to consoles as well, that would have been the ideal move. And then they should have followed it up with P5R. But since neither has happened so far, I really don't know what needs to happen for there to be a mainline Persona game on Switch/other platforms.

At this point it seems obvious to me that Atlus wants SMT to be mainly seen as a game you play on a Nintendo platform, and Persona on a Sony platform.
Money from Nintendo and Sony might be involved, but I always imagined it was rather a way for Atlus to keep a strong relationship with those two (which lead Nintendo to greenlight a first party Atlus game, TMS, to help them with the marketing of SMT games, and Sony to help with the marketing of Persona games)

If Persona 4 remaster ever makes it to console, I think it'll be on Switch too (similar to how SMT3 remaster ended up on both PS4 and Switch, but SMT5 is Switch exclusive), but that's about it. We'll get P5R in 10 years or so on a Nintendo console when it gets re-released lol.

alfred-never.gif

One day.

Maybe. I’d actually doubledip P4 the Golden on Switch. I just want to play a long ass game like it in bed.

No because Atlus. SMT will go on other platforms but mainline Persona will not come to Switch.

I have no faith in Atlus whatsoever.

Never say never, but for whatever reason Atlus seem content to keep them on Sony platforms, bar the P4G Steam port.

Never say never, but for whatever reason Atlus seem content to keep them on Sony platforms, bar the P4G Steam port.
The annoying thing is in regards to Persona 4 and PlayStation; those games can only be played on a PS2/PS3 and P4G in Vita. They’re aren’t even putting P4G on PS4 ffs.

Of course. No way Persona can stay PlayStation only. Sega would never allow that.

The annoying thing is in regards to Persona 4 and PlayStation; those games can only be played on a PS2/PS3 and P4G in Vita. They’re aren’t even putting P4G on PS4 ffs.
Yeah this is the funny (frustrating) part, you can't play these games on modern Playstation platforms either.

You’re talking about the company that released a PS2 game in 2008, a PS3 game in 2017 as well as 3DS games in 2019. It’s literally the last place to mention new hardware

I didn’t vote because I’m honestly sick and tired of this topic but Atlus is probably the most tone-deaf company out there. If there was truly a PS exclusivity deal in place, it ought to be expired at this point. As mentioned you can’t even play P4G in modern platforms in general besides the random Steam port that apparently got begged by Sega of Europe. Sadly all we had from them during the TGA was another spinoff port. They did mention the idea of having a multiplatform strategy, as well as mentioning ports in their surveys. They just finished releasing some of their biggest projects. Therefore, you would think this is the time for them to port their back catalog on everything. So I guess you can hold out for news during the rest of their anniversary event, or next E3. However, I’m honestly expecting nothing at this point due to them missing to many opportunities of bringing their games to Switch (they should have announced Royal for it the same time than Joker to Smash, full stop)

Atlus is such a backwards company that I don’t see it in the foreseeable future. The market though will force their hand. PlayStation is a fledging brand right now in Japan and PC gaming is exploding there. It would be incredibly hard to ignore these markets in the future and I don’t see a world where Persona 6 doesn’t release on PlayStation, PC and Nintendo hardware.

I'd like to believe, but Atlus hasn't really shown that the Switch is anything but a weird afterthought to them other than SMT. I'd definitely buy any mainline Persona port though.

Maybe P4G. I don't think Persona 5 will come to Switch and I legit think Sony has a deal with Atlus there related to ownership of Aniplex, which licensed the Persona 5 anime. To me that makes way more sense than Atlus just leaving a bunch of money on the table.

I'd like to believe, but Atlus hasn't really shown that the Switch is anything but a weird afterthought to them other than SMT. I'd definitely buy any mainline Persona port though.
All the console games Atlus has released these past two years have been on Switch. We're on a 6-game streak:

• Persona 5 Strikers
  • Catherine Full Body
  • Shin Megami Tensei III HD
  • Shin Megami Tensei V
  • 13 Sentinels
  • Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

Switch is absolutely not an afterthought for Atlus anymore.

I don't understand anything about why Persona 5 Royale isn't on Switch.
Hopefully someone can shed light on this matter because I don't understand.

I don't think we're done with the anniversary announcements yet, so there is still a good chance.

3rd party exclusives are a bag of wank. They should all be on everything, as long as they'd run and weren't partly funded. And they should need to money to fund them not like Capcom and that Street fighter shite.

For years I assumed it was a sure thing. After finding big success with portable remakes on PSP and Vita they wouldn't just let that disappear. Buuuut every chance they get they seem to be playing their own game of "How close can we get to releasing something that is core Persona without actually doing so?" Persona 3 took 3 years to get its portable version, Persona 4 took 4 years, Persona 5 is now beyond 5 years.

All the console games Atlus has released these past two years have been on Switch. We're on a 6-game streak:

• Persona 5 Strikers
  • Catherine Full Body
  • Shin Megami Tensei V
  • 13 Sentinels

Yeah Atlus has definitely caught on to how successful they can be on Switch, it's just a question of if there's legal or other significant reasons blocking mainline Persona

3rd party exclusives are a bag of wank. They should all be on everything, as long as they'd run and weren't partly funded. And they should need to money to fund them not like Capcom and that Street fighter shite.
Capcom definitely needed the money back when they were developing SF5, though it still launched in a really awful state.

Persona 2 duology also has the best cast in the Persona series anyway, so win-win for me if that were to happen.

I reckon Persona 4 Golden has a good chance of materialising and Persona 6 being on Switch.

That would not be a bad thing at all. I'd buy that day zero.
Also, you're not the number 1 Mischief Makers fan, I am. Fight me.
I'll shake and throw you off screen.

And I would be more interested in getting 1 and 2, just that it would be funny if the ones most people would like the least are the only ones that get on Switch.

I hope I'm wrong, but I honestly believe they are trolling us at this point.

I'll shake and throw you off screen.

And I would be more interested in getting 1 and 2, just that it would be funny if the ones most people would like the least are the only ones that get on Switch.

2-AfLWtck.gif

Ow ow ow ow ow. Stop.

True, it would please the minority but maybe it would also introduce people to the power of Michel AKA Captain Death.

• Persona 5 Strikers
  • Catherine Full Body
  • Shin Megami Tensei V
  • 13 Sentinels

Don't forget TMS Encore!

If the deal with Sony is true, being bought with money or loyalty, I could say that P5R may not make it to Switch, but I don’t think the relationship between Atlus and Sony will worsen if Atlus bring Persona 3 and P4G to Switch, so I can see those 2 appearing someday on Switch.

What's the major difference between Persona and SMT anyway?

One has ❤️, the other does not.

... Also, from what I understand (havent played the former), certain thematic focus like social relationships btwn characters (Persona) vs moral philosophy (SMT). Gameplay focus diverges greatly due to thematic focus, ie the "social sim" becomes a major focus in Persona.

You’re talking about the company that released a PS2 game in 2008, a PS3 game in 2017 as well as 3DS games in 2019. It’s literally the last place to mention new hardware
Persona 4 in 2008 made better sense than trying to program a game for PS3 at the time which was... not doing so hot anyways at the time.
Persona 5 was already promised for PS3, but it still saw simultaneous release on PS4.
The next Nintendo hardware inevitably being not being as powerful as PS5 and selling like trash means a release on PS4 and the next Nintendo hardware sounds about right and consistent with their pattern to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom