• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Wii U and 3DS Virtual Console Essential Purchases and Discussion Thread - (Update: Wii U /3DS eShops Officially Closed)

What was your favorite Wii U/3DS Virtual Console Moment?

• Total voters
I wish they would have done this before the deadline to add funds. I wanted to play Culdcept Revolt, but I just barely have enough left to buy the Ace Attorney 6 DLC case. Oh well, I guess my backlog is deep enough as-is.
Do you have your 3DS wallet linked to the switch? If so you could add funds that way.

It's possible to add funds online, it may also be possible to make a Nintendo account online and do everything without a Switch.
Nintendo's system just sent me into an hour of slowly spiraling madness.

So, here's the deal: I have a balance of $6.XX (just enough to cover the Ace Attorney DLC case with sales tax, and a few pennies left over.) The DLC has to be purchased in-game, not through the store, and you have to actually start the game and play through a certain amount of it to unlock the option to purchase the DLC. Which means that there's no way to add funds from my bank card to buy that, so I'd need to buy this first and then buy Culdcept Revolt with added funds. Only I'm still at the very beginning of AA5, am worried about the tutorial case in AA6 spoiling things about the prior game, and I doubt I'll play through 30+ hours of that before the NISA sale ends.

(BTW, I discovered that I had a Nintendo Account already, probably from that mobile Mii game, so I merged my accounts today.)

So I looked for option #2. A GameFAQs or Reddit post claimed you could try to buy a game and add funds online to cover the difference, then cancel the purchase and the funds will still be available.... Didn't work, and took awhile to test (for reasons I won't go into here as they aren't Nintendo's fault).

Finally, option #3. If I go to a store tomorrow and pick up an eshop card, I should be able to enter it on Nintendo's website and be able to move past this whole thing, which is probably what you were talking about in the first place. So, thanks for setting me on the right track! I just wish Nintendo let me add funds directly online instead of having to go through a gift card.

I suppose I could buy Culdcept now and add the funds with a gift card later for the AA6 DLC, but I'm paranoid it won't work somehow and I'll be left unable to ever play the case.

I'll post an update once I try option #3, to close out this annoying but mundane saga.

So, here's the deal: I have a balance of $6.XX (just enough to cover the Ace Attorney DLC case with sales tax, and a few pennies left over.) The DLC has to be purchased in-game, not through the store, and you have to actually start the game and play through a certain amount of it to unlock the option to purchase the DLC. Which means that there's no way to add funds from my bank card to buy that, so I'd need to buy this first and then buy Culdcept Revolt with added funds. Only I'm still at the very beginning of AA5, am worried about the tutorial case in AA6 spoiling things about the prior game, and I doubt I'll play through 30+ hours of that before the NISA sale ends.
Just an FYI, you don't have to get very far into the first case in AA6 before the DLC store opens up. Like at most 15-30 minutes. I'm a complete newbie to the series and I don't think AA6 spoiled anything from AA5 (or not anything that's relevant to the start of AA5 which I also had to play to open up the DLC shop). So I don't think you have anything to worry about here,

Thanks for your help and advice everyone! I'm downloading Culdcept now, with the last of the $170 in eshop cards I've bought in the past few months. I.... I might have gone a bit overboard.

Thanks for your help and advice everyone! I'm downloading Culdcept now, with the last of the $170 in eshop cards I've bought in the past few months. I.... I might have gone a bit overboard.
I went a little overboard when Wii VC closed down (incidentally that was my impetus for posting on Era). Spent hundreds on stuff I knew was unlikely to ever come back.

I went a little overboard when Wii VC closed down (incidentally that was my impetus for posting on Era). Spent hundreds on stuff I knew was unlikely to ever come back.
Same. I’m trying to be more restrained this time but totally forgot that DLC is more prevalent in this era.

I finally sat down this weekend and tackled downloading all of the 3DS DLC I wanted which was the last step for me in no longer having to worry about the shops closing. I have a big backlog of RPGs on my 3DS and a lot of them had DLC in addition to a few other games in other genres.

I dragged out doing it for so long since I knew it was going to be a pain in the neck and it actually took even longer than I expected. At the same time it was also both easier and more difficult than I thought it’d be. My plan months ago when I wrote up my list of games I had DLC for was to play one game in each series so then I’d know what I might want from them, but the only game I ended up playing until now was Fire Emblem Awakening (I had never beaten a traditional Fire Emblem game prior). Now that I’m done with looking through all of the DLC, I found Awakening was really the only game I needed to play as everything else once I saw what it offered I could immediately identify whether it was for me or not.

I’m really making this post here to say what a weird journey this ended up being. I ultimately had about twenty games I looked at (my backlog is a wonderful nightmare I’m happy to have lol) and I’m not even sure half of them had DLC accessible straight from the main menu. This meant putting in each game card one by one and booting up the game to try and figure out where it was. Some took no joke about two hours of playing to find / unlock them, while others weren’t at all where I expected. It got frustrating enough I started googling and looking at Gamefaqs and Reddit threads to figure out ahead of time what I needed to find.

More baffling, some of the DLC for games is just straight up gone. I booted up the very last Professor Layton game (the one that features his daughter?) and there is no DLC to buy anymore. This was a main menu option thankfully and when you click it, it loads a page of nothing (no extra puzzles and costumes for me). A few others, like Project X Zone 2, I played through for an hour and a half to unlock the menu option only to encounter a similar issue. Thankfully I dodged whatever Dragon Quest VIII thing I’d have to do since I googled that ahead of time (all gone as well).

At the end of the day, I did walk home with stuff and virtually none of it I paid for. Turns out for a lot of the games I had, at least most of the DLC basically amounted to cheat codes and overpriced challenge battles which I avoided. I did get some neat stuff with free items and costumes and even difficulty levels. The most generous was definitely Monster Hunter IV Ultimate which had pages and pages of free missions and cat colors to claim right from the main menu.

So yeah overall a weird experience that I’m glad is behind me. Once I finish my Wii U Virtual Console backlog and my Vita backlog, I’ll likely tackle my 3DS backlog properly. Got a lot of cool games to enjoy :)

Much sympathy to you @xghost777 I've been doing the same off and on and I'll be happy to be finally done with it (I think FE Echoes is the last one before Layton x Phoenix Wright I have to do). While having the DLC shops ingrained into the games themselves is really cool from an immersion perspective, I'm really kinda glad the EU put the kibosh on that practice. This whole ordeal would've been a lot easier if it was like Switch where you can just pull up a browser and order the items there. Also helps that Nintendo and a lot of their partners have moved towards bundling things together rather than selling stuff piecemeal for $0.99 each.

More baffling, some of the DLC for games is just straight up gone. I booted up the very last Professor Layton game (the one that features his daughter?) and there is no DLC to buy anymore. This was a main menu option thankfully and when you click it, it loads a page of nothing (no extra puzzles and costumes for me). A few others, like Project X Zone 2, I played through for an hour and a half to unlock the menu option only to encounter a similar issue. Thankfully I dodged whatever Dragon Quest VIII thing I’d have to do since I googled that ahead of time (all gone as well).
Ooof, I hadn't gotten around to my Layton games yet :( Crap.

What's the DQVIII thing you talk about?

Other thing I hit where it was clear I was too late was the DeSu 2 SpotPass system apparently has been stuck in its rotation and no one at Atlus has bothered to fix it. Only solution to getting the other 5 content drops from that is to use a custom firmware 😐 (which isn't something I'm willing to do just yet)

Much sympathy to you @xghost777 I've been doing the same off and on and I'll be happy to be finally done with it (I think FE Echoes is the last one before Layton x Phoenix Wright I have to do). While having the DLC shops ingrained into the games themselves is really cool from an immersion perspective, I'm really kinda glad the EU put the kibosh on that practice. This whole ordeal would've been a lot easier if it was like Switch where you can just pull up a browser and order the items there. Also helps that Nintendo and a lot of their partners have moved towards bundling things together rather than selling stuff piecemeal for $0.99 each.

Ooof, I hadn't gotten around to my Layton games yet :( Crap.

What's the DQVIII thing you talk about?

Other thing I hit where it was clear I was too late was the DeSu 2 SpotPass system apparently has been stuck in its rotation and no one at Atlus has bothered to fix it. Only solution to getting the other 5 content drops from that is to use a custom firmware 😐 (which isn't something I'm willing to do just yet)
Thanks! Yeah if this was just like the Switch, PSN, or Xbox stores you’d pull up the webpage and it’d all just be there at once. Would have been done in like an hour tops. That’s good you are nearing the end. Fire Emblem Echoes was one of mine too. At least an hour to get through the prologue with a lot of talking, village exploration, and a tutorial battle. It’s a menu option once you hit the world map. I decided not to get anything aside from free stuff, though I know some here have recommended the four prologue battle maps for $10.

Apparently Dragon Quest VIII had some sort of weekly item to claim (I don’t know where in the game you would do this), but apparently according to forum posts Nintendo/Square Enix botched the rollout for a few weeks so some never released here and once it was done they didn’t offer them again. Dragon Quest VII incidentally allegedly (I didn’t test it personally) does still work since you connect to some server and download a few dungeons at a time. I have no idea where that’s located in the world, I only played about 8 hours at launch, but I vaguely remember it.

Ooh didn’t know there was more to Devil Survivor 2. I saw the kind of whatever anime which made me want to get the game and that was another one I just played through a very long tutorial to get to the DLC shop.

I need to get around to doing this. Plan on doing it when I have some time off during thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. They only things I know I probably want are the Ace Attorney DLC cases and fire emblem fates revelation. Also could consider the DLC for NSMB2, but feel this is redundant with all the Mario maker levels available. Who knows what else I might want. Will have a few WiiU VC games but waiting until the last minute in case NSO announces some of those.

I need to get around to doing this. Plan on doing it when I have some time off during thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. They only things I know I probably want are the Ace Attorney DLC cases and fire emblem fates revelation. Also could consider the DLC for NSMB2, but feel this is redundant with all the Mario maker levels available. Who knows what else I might want. Will have a few WiiU VC games but waiting until the last minute in case NSO announces some of those.
Fire Emblem Fates is like six missions in if you haven’t booted it up and a little tucked away to access for the first opportunity so watch out! This was another one I did just now.

Definitely recommend the Ace Attorney cases, I especially love Dual Destinies DLC case.

Can’t speak to Mario, I never really liked the mode they were featured in. I do recommend getting Mario Maker 3DS if you never played it. That has a whole campaign’s worth of clever levels.

Apparently Dragon Quest VIII had some sort of weekly item to claim (I don’t know where in the game you would do this), but apparently according to forum posts Nintendo/Square Enix botched the rollout for a few weeks so some never released here and once it was done they didn’t offer them again. Dragon Quest VII incidentally allegedly (I didn’t test it personally) does still work since you connect to some server and download a few dungeons at a time. I have no idea where that’s located in the world, I only played about 8 hours at launch, but I vaguely remember it.

I’m going to have to look into this, but do remember that there was a way to connect to some servers that were hosting DS game content that has been unavailable for over a decade at this point. I got lots of Pokémon mystery gifts and most of the DQ9 DLC missions/items this way (some are locked to coop exclusively). I have to imagine someone hosted 3DS stuff on servers as well. There was an Era thread, so need to look into this. Might be a way to get the spot pass stuff. I know people have had servers for street passing, so this should exist.
Can’t speak to Mario, I never really liked the mode they were featured in. I do recommend getting Mario Maker 3DS if you never played it. That has a whole campaign’s worth of clever levels.
I have it. Probably some of the best designed Nintendo Mario levels. Love the challenge coins they have. Think it adds a lot of replayability to the games and is something Nintendo should consider with their next 2D game.

Hi folks.

I purchased a second-hand New2DS some months ago after my OG 3DS died, with the aim of re-purchasing some exclusive 3DS games and VC games that weren't out on the Switch. Long story short, I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'm sorry to be asking this here, since this is more of a recommendations thread than a guide... but do you know how to link my 3DS profile to my Switch profile (so I can use my funds to purchase games before the store closes?) Is there a guide available and easy-ish to understand?

Many, many thanks in advance.

Hi folks.

I purchased a second-hand New2DS some months ago after my OG 3DS died, with the aim of re-purchasing some exclusive 3DS games and VC games that weren't out on the Switch. Long story short, I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'm sorry to be asking this here, since this is more of a recommendations thread than a guide... but do you know how to link my 3DS profile to my Switch profile (so I can use my funds to purchase games before the store closes?) Is there a guide available and easy-ish to understand?

Many, many thanks in advance.
Here are the US steps. Looks like you just do it via the web.

a bit of a note about New Super Mario Bros 2 @Barely Able , there actually was a "Gold Edition" of the game that contained all of the DLC built-in. but it was exclusive to a few console bundles.
510XjAffWHL.jpg

NSMB2Gold_EditionTitleScreen.jpg

this being a modern-day bundle, the game was unfortunately pre-installed onto the system itself. rather than being a standalone cartridge.

a bit of a note about New Super Mario Bros 2 @Barely Able , there actually was a "Gold Edition" of the game that contained all of the DLC built-in. but it was exclusive to a few console bundles.
510XjAffWHL.jpg

NSMB2Gold_EditionTitleScreen.jpg

this being a modern-day bundle, the game was unfortunately pre-installed onto the system itself. rather than being a standalone cartridge.
NSMB2 had DLC? I don’t remember that at all. What was it?

The thing about the DQ VIII DLC is that it was done so haphazardly that I seriously think they were having an intern release it manually. It started late, and I think at one point they removed mention of the DLC from the game's website. And once it was done, they never repeated it. So if you missed it the first time you were out of luck. They clearly had issues with it.

First Nintendo game to have DLC, in fact! It's a series of level packs for the Coin Rush mode. There are ten packs in total. (including the infamous "Impossible Pack")

Fire emblem awakening was actually the first Nintendo Game to have dlc, I think. It beat NSMB2 to the punch by a few months. Of course, an easy mistake to make since the localisation of awakening was way late.

First Nintendo game to have DLC, in fact! It's a series of level packs for the Coin Rush mode. There are ten packs in total. (including the infamous "Impossible Pack")
Paid, maybe. but free DLC would go all the way back to 2000 with Pokemon Crystal, the "GS ball" was acquired in the Japanese version by connecting your game boy color to a mobile phone network using the Mobile System GB accessory.
GS_Ball_get_JP.png

the event still exists in the western release, seemingly retooled into a more standard retail distribution event. but nintendo never actually used it.

Fire emblem awakening was actually the first Nintendo Game to have dlc, I think. It beat NSMB2 to the punch by a few months. Of course, an easy mistake to make since the localisation of awakening was way late.
Paid, maybe. but free DLC would go all the way back to 2000 with Pokemon Crystal, the "GS ball" was acquired in the Japanese version by connecting your game boy color to a mobile phone network using the Mobile System GB accessory.
GS_Ball_get_JP.png

the event still exists in the western release, seemingly retooled into a more standard retail distribution event. but nintendo never actually used it.
First. I stand corrected. Second I did wonder about the earlier various distribution Nintendo had. So thanks for enlightening me.

i just discovered that Nnooo is another indie studio that's currently doing a closeout sale until December 7th, one of the titles is The Legend of Kusakari (3ds). notable for it's utterly astounding main theme.

alternatively, if you're looking for something a bit less shitposty. there's Cubemen 2 on the Wii U. which is historically notable for being one of the first games on a Nintendo console to support cross-platform play, before the Switch really started pushing it.

Not to be too biased here, but I’d scoop up DK 64 on Wii U and the Donkey Kong Land trilogy on 3DS in the off-chance none of them ever get re-released again.

So I'm finally deciding to try to fill out my 3DS VC library with a few purchases and I've come to realize just how fucking horrible dealing with multiple 3DS systems is. I got a New 2DS XL a couple years back to more or less replace my older 3DS because it was getting wear and tear, and was becoming less comfortable in my hands due to how tiny it was, but then I never actually transferred all the data over to the the New 2DS XL. After spending a few minutes digging, I see that Nintendo does not allow linking to more than one system and I can't just transfer my purchases through the ID over to the new system. So I have to completely wipe my old 3DS that I still occasionally use for the 3D effect and then transfer all the data, including all the dumb play times of games when I loaned the 3DS out to other people which I don't really want.

My New 2DS XL also came with a version of Link Between Worlds installed on it I'm afraid I'll lose if I do the transfer too, but I'm not sure because Nintendo's language on the transfer is hella dumb and overly complicated.

And to top it all off, I can't sign in to my NNID on the original 3DS or the New 2DS XL because my existing password is past the character limit for those systems... SERIOUSLY? I HAVE TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD TO SOMETHING SHORTER BECAUSE THEY HAVE A CHARACTER LIMIT JUST TO TRANSFER???

Honestly making me wonder if I'm better off not even trying to deal with the 3DS VC and just go the emulation route for GB games considering how much of a cluster fuck the basic user systems are with the stores closing anyway.

nis america is doing a massive sale on the few 3ds games they've published.
uh, i've got some bad news if you bought this during the sale.

particularly odd as i don't think Nintendo is actively cracking down on 3rd-party devs leaving their servers running, unlike what happened with Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

Is Luigi's Mansion 3DS worth it? And is there anywhere I can get it for a semi-reasonable price? 😅
Yeah for sure. Its a great version of that game! The 3d effect is great too. You can get a brand new “world edition” of the game on ebay for 38.99. World edition is literally the exact same as the u.s. version, only difference is that the box art has a world edition logo on it.

Edit: on another note, im about 23 hours into the “bowsers inside story remake” its just been slow going with work and other games I want to play. Im planning to set aside time to finish it this weekend. After that, im returning to ocarina of time 3d. Ive never beaten ocarina of time, i should change that.

Yeah for sure. Its a great version of that game! The 3d effect is great too. You can get a brand new “world edition” of the game on ebay for 38.99. World edition is literally the exact same as the u.s. version, only difference is that the box art has a world edition logo on it.

That's not a "World" edition. (especially since there was only one 3DS software that does not enforce region lock) It's an official import of the US version for middle east/southeast asia market. The game would still only work on a US region 3DS otherwise.

That's not a "World" edition. (especially since there was only one 3DS software that does not enforce region lock) It's an official import of the US version for middle east/southeast asia market. The game would still only work on a US region 3DS otherwise.
This is correct. Anyone looking for physical games in NA can safely buy these “World Editions” since it’s the US version essentially. Japan and PAL 3DS should stay away. So glad that switch is region free so we won’t have to worry about this when that system’s digital storefront eventually closes down (and currently for physical editions).

Im sorry, thats what the edition is called by nintendo. My apologies if you aren’t in the u.s. i shouldn't have immediately assumed that.

Thanks all! I'm in the US so that's an option for me. Man is it hard to find a significant discount for Luigi Mansion or Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn. I may just go with the digital versions then.

Kirby EEY I think had a low print run even in the US as even second hand prices on eBay are stupid high. Digital is probably the best option.

Another notable title getting pulled a bit early.
Fukkoku Archives 3 is especially unfortunate (even if it's Japan only) as it contains a few notable titles that haven't been re-released since such as Girl's Garden and Turbo Outrun.

looks like devs can still make sales on the 3DS and Wii U eshops, even 3 months before the shutdown.
here's some notable ones that just went on sale.

ss_284fb4fb0f8ea5801f62c7ff641b919e4874ee54.jpg

Jones on Fire (Wii U, so no direct link.) is an endless runner developed by Megan Fox, a dev who worked on a few notable AAA releases (and skatebird). you might remember her for the infamous LEGO Universe "penis fliter" story.

rytmik-ultimate-cover.cover_large.jpg

Rymtik Ultimate is a music-making application for the 3DS, it's certainly no Korg. but it's an interesting option.

and finally, a good chunk of the 3DS picross games (including the licensed Sanrio one.) are on sale. but they're all minor 20% off discounts.

The only downside of GBC games on 3DS is the colors - you are getting highly saturated colors, but the games were made keeping in mind the GBC screen would have reduced the contrast.

colour_correction-799x1024.png

Even with homebrew, this is something which can not be fixed, unfortunately.

I know a lot of people aren't bothered by it, but I can personally feel something is "off".

The 3D effect is indeed very good, though!
Just catching up on this thread and I wanted to say thanks for this tip! BTW, also wondering, what the game in the last set of screenshots?

Back
Top Bottom