• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Wii U and 3DS Virtual Console Essential Purchases and Discussion Thread - (Update: Wii U /3DS eShops Officially Closed)

What was your favorite Wii U/3DS Virtual Console Moment?

• Total voters
Think I’ll grab Pikmin 1 and 2. If I like them I’ll get 3/4 on Switch. Simple enough.

Then just a couple of GBA games that haven’t been announced for NSO. I think I’m good. So long Wii U.

Is there a way to see all of the game you have purchased through the eShop on 3DS or do you just have to remember which ones you did buy?

I got:
  • Fire Emblem Fates Birthright/Revelation: the two Fates paths I never played
  • Radiant Historia: read a lot of good things about it in this thread, and I love JRPG's so I thought why not
  • Tomodachi Life: I have heard good things, and these kinds of games always keep me hooked long enough
  • Steamworld Tower Defense: I like the Steamworld series but never played this one, and it seems this game has not been brought anywhere else yet
  • Hey! Pikmin: I've been interested in this one for a while. Not expecting anything amazing, but a Pikmin game in a different style like this is intriguing.
  • Dr. Mario Miracle Cure: one of those games I can play in short bursts
And that's it. If I want anything else in the future, I will need to get a physical copy. After I beat Trails from Zero on switch, I will try to knock out as many of these as possible before Tears of the Kingdom comes out.

@Yoshifan31 here are my two rupees on some of your fence-sitters and a couple others:

• Definitely get NPC Pikmin 2 if you don't have it
  • Harvest Moon 64 is the entry I grew up on and I think if you think you might like life/farm management sims, it's well worth the price, and this is a great way to try it out
  • DuckTales Remastered was just alright IMO, I couldn't get into it much
  • I don't think Affordable Space Adventures would be as fun as a Solo player but it's hard to say since I've only played about 30 mins in co-op and it didn't grab me especially
  • I love Pikmin 3 but the missions are really more of score and goal chasing, it doesn't feel as engrossing to me as the regular gameplay. I preferred the Pikmin 2 challenges.
  • 3DL starts out pretty easy, but gets a lot more engaging as you play through it, especially the back half of the game. The levels are bite size fun, it's like a proto-3DW which makes sense. If you like 3D Mario, you might find a lot to love in there
  • I'll forever go to bat for Dream Team, as you said it's much like BiS, the two are about equal in mind; the tutorials are plentiful in the first 1/3 of the game but part of that is because so many creative mechanics are thrown at the player. I found it picks up considerably after that first third. Epic boss battles, too, some of my favorite in any Mario RPG.
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 is wonderful and under-appreciated, LM3 is even better with the less mission-oriented approach but if you're a fan of the series this has ton of excellent and well-designed set pieces, and the boss battles are especially a highlight
Yeah I played Pikmin 2 and 3 but never the first one so picked that up. Not sure if I will even have time to buy the missions for 3 (I think it’s via the game and not the eshop? Basically it’s currently reinstalling because I had uninstalled it when I had to make some space for the Capcom games on sale a few months back) but yeah I only considered the missions since they will be gone forever from the Wii U. Back when I played Pikmin 3 I wasn’t really itching to get them after finishing the game either. As for LM2 I really don’t mind skipping it because while I’m sure it’s a good game, the main appeal of the series (only played 1) for me was how it was basically RE1 for kids and had backtracking in the mansion instead of defined levels and such. Either way I think I only have like 6000 blocks left on my 3DS so there’s no more space for big games, end up buying everything I had my eye on except for Rayman which is apparently a compromised version due to the smaller screen
3D Land is definitely a good Mario. Not sure why you’d assume it’d be your least favorite.

Affordable Space Adventures is worth it if you have people to play it with. It’s a unique experience that only really works on the Wii U. It’s not very replayable, but I have no regrets getting it.

Ducktales is a remaster of an NES game and it shows. My kid and I had a good time going through it, but it’s not some great game, it’s just fine. The appeal is more about the presentation and having the original cast doing voices.

Mario 64 DS will work with the analogue stick but only in a fake way as it will limit you to 8 way movement. You can however move analogue with the touch screen. No recollection if that’s at all enjoyable but some people seem to like it.

If you’re debating Xenoblade Chronicles X, just ask yourself if you liked exploring the worlds in any of the other Xeno games. If so, then I’d say get it. If you’re still unsure, then download the DLC packs anyways in case you ever decide to pick up the disc.

Well 3D World is my least favorite 3D Mario by far and I hold the others on pretty high regard, especially 64. That’s why 3D Land was always pretty unappealing to me but still grabbed it now for completion’s sake, it was made for the 3DS after all. Grabbed Mario 64 DS as well as it’s cheaper than expected, the 8 way movement thing seems like a huge downgrade from the original but at least the Wii U dpad feels much better than the 3DS, so hoping I enjoy the new content at least.

As for Xenoblade X… downloaded the data packs just in case, considered going YOLO on it but there’s just no way I’m buying a Wii U game that would end up being over 80$ CAD after taxes. I wouldn’t play it anytime soon anyways, notably due to TOTK being right around the corner. Besides the cool world and OST, after skimming through some longplays I’m really not feeling compelled to buy it right now as I don’t like both the Xenoblade battle system and the usual open world gameplay loop of doing random side quests in any order, like the world is pretty and the OST slaps but what’s the incentive.

At the end my 680GB hard drive plugged in my Wii U will have plenty of space, I was hoping to make more use of it but nope, there’s no more big games to buy really. Bayonetta was delisted, the Darksiders games have much more expensive sales prices than on Wii U, and then everything that isn’t from Capcom is still full price, like Deus Ex.

The last game I’m debating is F-Zero X… apparently the Switch version is bad? I know N64 on Wii U is dark but it’s fine when you increase brightness on the Gamepad. I’m almost done with DK64 right now and not only it looks fine in terms of brightness on my TV, but the only problem is the stick sensitivity for aiming but it doesn’t matter that much. So if F-Zero X is better on Wii U I might just buy it there

3 hours left and I got a server overload message earlier, end of an era

Is there a way to see all of the game you have purchased through the eShop on 3DS or do you just have to remember which ones you did buy?
Go to the menu section in the top left. There will be an account activity, updates, and redownloadable tab at the bottom of the pop out menu. Don’t see any of the download updates in there though.

I should say you can redownload the updates from the shop just not that section

I thought I was done after my second purchasing round of affordable space adventures, stretchmo and attack of the Friday monsters. But then someone mentioned the price of atlus games and I checked and the devil survivor games are both $20 and now I’m feeling very tempted. Going to try and parse out if it’s genuine interest from when they first came out but I never got around to them or just induced by anxiety from the eshop closing

I’ve held strong and haven’t bought anything for either console. I figured if I didn’t buy it in the months leading up to this moment, then I didn’t really need it. My Wii U and 3DS backlogs are long enough already!

I’ve held strong and haven’t bought anything for either console. I figured if I didn’t buy it in the months leading up to this moment, then I didn’t really need it. My Wii U and 3DS backlogs are long enough already!
That’s the spirit!

mine have only been VC games. Have most of the actually releases I would want (and went wild during the last Atlus sale). Might get jungle beat still as I’m in a big Wii nostalgia mode right now. Most everything else o figured I wouldn’t get around to and never gave big enough of a care to get at the time.

This is ultimately why I opted out of getting DQ7. I’ve never even played a DQ game in full, if it was 10-15 bucks sure I might go for it, but 30 for a game I realistically don’t think I will play is a lot. It helps that I already got a bunch of 3DS Atlus games on sale a while ago.

Just got Pikmin 1/2 and a handful of VC games, and I think that’s enough.

@Red Monster the minute after the eShop closes

scared-jerry-seinfeld-cant-sleep-crdefuvpwkn3ttrv.gif

Thanks to someone pointing it out, now instead of saving it for a switch game sale I used my 9 bucks of remaining Eshop credit on 2 radiant historia missions that sounded interesting (haven’t played it yet. They were: rage of the fallen and meeting in the chasm), and Culdecept’s free bats free time dlc. And the freebies for the latter

I didn’t want to spend a lot on games I wouldn’t play anytime soon that might come to Switch someday anyway, so I started the free to start Rusty‘s Real Deal Baseball tonight. I am running out of time to haggle, but it’s a super charming little concept, and the minigames are very fun.

oh man the physical prices are already jumping up. planet robobot had a bunch of 40$ listings when i checked yesterday. now theres more 50$+ listings. actually backtracked on getting it and just got dlc and soul hackers but if the eshop lives on till the 28th like that one tweet says then i might just cop it then.

Decided to grab some 3DS themes last minute. I didn't see you had an option to shuffle your themes every time you boot up your 3DS, definitely using that.

Oh shit I somehow totally forgot about Sin & Punishment 2 despite already skimming the Wii shop. Buying that now.

Okay, now I'm good. Hopefully.

Bought some 3DS themes but they don't work. As soon as I reboot, it's back to the regular standard theme. Anyone have any idea why this would be? I even tried the save layout option. Still no go...

Bought some 3DS themes but they don't work. As soon as I reboot, it's back to the regular standard theme. Anyone have any idea why this would be? I even tried the save layout option. Still no go...

I've found themes not showing up is a sign the SD card is becoming flaky, could try a different SD card and check

I've found themes not showing up is a sign the SD card is becoming flaky, could try a different SD card and check

I have a 512gb card in there. Wonder if that's the issue. That's all I had on hand. It worked and the games all worked so I went with it.

I have a 512gb card in there. Wonder if that's the issue. That's all I had on hand. It worked and the games all worked so I went with it.

That is pretty massive for the 3DS, I assume you must notice games load slowly on the home menu? Wouldn't be surprised if the size of it means it's just too slow to load the theme in time

That is pretty massive for the 3DS, I assume you must notice games load slowly on the home menu? Wouldn't be surprised if the size of it means it's just too slow to load the theme in time

Yeah maybe. I wonder if I could buy a 128gb and maybe swap the data using a PC without having to redownload and reinstall everything manually...

Nintendo has pretty good instructions on their website. People should check it out. SD card data copy

How is this card as an option?

SanDisk 128GB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - Up to 190MB/s, C10, U3, V30, 4K, 5K, A2, Micro SD Card - SDSQXAA-128G-GN6MA​

My system is a New 2DS XL.

How is this card as an option?

SanDisk 128GB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - Up to 190MB/s, C10, U3, V30, 4K, 5K, A2, Micro SD Card - SDSQXAA-128G-GN6MA​

My system is a New 2DS XL.
Official support is only up to 32GB. Nintendo also tested some SD cards: Supported SD cards. But this list is obviously outdated. I just checked my amazon history, this is the one I use: Amazon SD card link

Official support is only up to 32GB. Nintendo also tested some SD cards: Supported SD cards. But this list is obviously outdated. I just checked my amazon history, this is the one I use: Amazon SD card link

I have a LOT installed on my current MicroSD and it's claiming to only be using 11gb. So now I'm looking at:

PNY 32GB Elite Class 10 U1 microSDHC Flash Memory Card - 100MB/s read, Class 10, U1, Full HD, UHS-I, micro SD​

For $6 on Amazon.

I have a LOT installed on my current MicroSD and it's claiming to only be using 11gb. So now I'm looking at:

PNY 32GB Elite Class 10 U1 microSDHC Flash Memory Card - 100MB/s read, Class 10, U1, Full HD, UHS-I, micro SD​

For $6 on Amazon.
Yeah you need many games on 3DS to fill 32GB.

Can't say anything about the SD card, never had that brand before. I only had SanDisk, Samsung and Toshiba (which was included in my 3DS). I have a 200GB SanDisk is my Switch since 2017 and it still works without problems, so I decided for a SanDisk.

Yeah you need many games on 3DS to fill 32GB.

Can't say anything about the SD card, never had that brand before. I only had SanDisk, Samsung and Toshiba (which was included in my 3DS). I have a 200GB SanDisk is my Switch since 2017 and it still works without problems, so I decided for a SanDisk.

Yeah I found a Nintendo recommended one:

SanDisk 32GB Extreme PRO SDHC UHS-I Memory Card - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, SD Card - SDSDXXO-032G-GN4IN​

Think I will go with this one. It's a bit more money but the reviews are great and several people said it worked with their 3DS. So hopefully I can just format this to Fat 32 and copy the data over using a computer.

Yeah, I do have more money to use... but I'm done. I've bought so fucking much here that by the time I'm done with it all I'll have been able to earn as much to buy the physical copies of anything else ten-times-over. Yeah, sure, games like SMT:IV Apocalypse or Professor Layton will shoot up in price anymore... but, really, when would I ever play them, and why? I didn't even get into SMTV and that was considerably more accessible.

So I focused on stuff that doesn't have any equal on other platforms, whether it be a port/remake or a similar sequel. Kid Icarus Uprising? 100% worthy of buying. Samus Returns? Nah. Not when Dread improved on it so much, and there's loads of other Metroid games to play on Switch now. I also made sure to only get stuff that I actually will play sometime, instead of just buying stuff just because (with the exception of some of those really, really cheap games). And, now that I've spent so much... I need to say I'm done.

God, this has been stressful.

So far I bought:

• SMT IV
  • Virtue's Last Reward
  • Shovel Knight - Treasure Trove
  • Attack of the Friday Monsters
  • Radiant Historia

I am still in doubt about:

• Shantae 1 GBC or Shantae and the Pirate Curse
  • Dementium Remastered
  • Pokémon Crystal or a different retro Pokémon.
  • Zelda: LA DX
  • Metroid II
  • Wario Land II or III

I was unable to withstand Metroid II, Shantae and Wario Land II. I loved WLIII as a kid but I never played II, so I'm kinda looking forward to that one.

Thinking about buying (if it's an option) Layton 6, it's the only game I'm missing and physical copies now cost a kidney.

i'm using a 64gb card on my 3ds. You need a program that can change the sd card into a Fat32
It is cool that it is possible. But I'm more of a coward and stay with the official supported options. Also 32GB is more than enough for my collection. Bought most of my 3DS games physical. Only now I bought many digital games before the shop closes

Very melancholic feeling today. Trying to remember all the good times I had with these systems instead of focusing on the closures. Was such a fun time for Nintendo even if it was their worst point as a company. I probably will ask this thread to be closed in a couple weeks to a month since it serves its purpose but might make a Wii U/3DS memories thread later today to get the discussion focused on the good times.

Etrian Odyssey Untold, Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold and Etrian Odyssey 4 are on sale for 3,99 € a piece, as I noticed in my last night's final scan of the eShop.

Tell me which is the best one to pick or run the risk I don't buy any of them. Or buy all of them.

Etrian Odyssey Untold, Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold and Etrian Odyssey 4 are on sale for 3,99 € a piece, as I noticed in my last night's final scan of the eShop.

Tell me which is the best one to pick or run the risk I don't buy any of them. Or buy all of them.
If you haven’t played one go with 4. Best entry point do to the multiple locations and classes. Story mode won’t be there, but 1/2 are coming to switch this year.

I wish the dillon games were a little cheaper, otherwise i would have grabbed them, same with yokai watch. But im content with my 3ds collection, 31 physical games and well over 60 digital titles. I have pretty much everything i want.

Still, i cant help but feel a little fomo. I hate fire emblem, but part of me wants to buy them just because ill never be able to again. I need to be wallet conscious, so im trying to ignore those urges

Last edited:
9 hours out from the end and assuming store servers are under stress,

Started purchasing at 23:00 and got so many errors and time-outs was not able to finish purchasing the stuff that stopped going on sale at 24:00.
Can`t imagine anything working an hour before the end

Back
Top Bottom