• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Wii U and 3DS Virtual Console Essential Purchases and Discussion Thread - (Update: Wii U /3DS eShops Officially Closed)

What was your favorite Wii U/3DS Virtual Console Moment?

• Total voters
Not to add to anyone else's FOMO but the Wii U shop closure means it's pretty much the window is ending on legally getting Pikmin 1 & 2 and Rhythm Heaven Fever for a not stupid price.
Thinking of getting trauma team and jungle beat. Plus some of the DS games. Plus Ogre Battle. Plus….

Those are must haves at the price for anyone interested. Pikmin 2 in particular has been pricy for years, even pre-pandemic. I sold my Wii copy and switched to a digital Wii copy instead on Wii U.
Looking at the list of Wii games, I'd say these are a must-buy:
  • Pikmin 1 & 2 - Great games and great use of pointer controls
  • Sin & Punishment 2 - Great game and great use of pointer controls. Unplayable without a Wii Remote
  • Zack & Wiki - Great game, unlikely to be ported
  • Rhythm Heaven Fever - Great game, unlikely to be ported
  • Donkey Kong Jungle Beat - Amazing game. A more traditional remix of the GC version, which is better but less convenient to play. Dunno if it will ever be ported anywhere else

"Good but not essential":
  • Lost in Shadow - Good, but not for everyone
  • Pandora's Tower - Unlikely to be ported, and IIRC it makes use of the pointer, but I didn't like it (I played just the beginning, though)
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns - Will be ported sooner or later
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy - MP2 and 3 will be ported sooner or later
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Will be ported sooner or later
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn - There's a 3DS port, but the Wii edition is better
  • Wario Land Shake - I still have to play. It's divisive, with some parts of the fandom proclaiming it a masterpiece and others seeing it as a dull Wario Land 4.5

Last edited:
Well, seeing how Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse is pretty much a no go for physical in Europe for a normal price, settled for it digitally through the website and got a free theme with it was a nice surprise. But man. I've forgotten how absolutely shittier the 3DS eShop is to navigate when it comes to literally anything. Figured I'd download the theme through the eShop first since it's a small download before going through the menu to download the game. But you can't enter a code for themes through the eShop (which seems like a huge WTF to me) and downloading the game requires multiple menus that shows just one option per screen and having to scroll through multiple menus to find what you need/want.
The WiiU/Switch eShop are far from perfect, but I'm genuinely grateful for how those two work. Looking back at it after all these years, I'm genuinely shocked this menu not only got designed as it is, but somehow no one internally objected enough against it to stop this from getting out in the open as it is. Good heavens...

Great list @Gingerbread Man! I would also add Trauma Team to the second list. $20 is much cheaper than the going prices on eBay, which will likely go up when this digital version is unavailable.

I wouldn’t expect it for years. Wii downloads are still good and it’s been closed for 4 years and can still download. DSi shops did close but that at least went to 3DSz
gotta assume that's for legal reasons lol.
Agreed with Mekanos, Robobot is your best bet here. Exemplary game, port is unlikely for at least a year, and BiS is at least as good on DS.
Robobot is one of the best Kirby games and 3DS games in general. BIS is better on DS, I think.
yeah then I'll be robobot and maybe echoes. BiS DS seems to be steady price wise. BiS 3ds is expensive and probably going to get even pricier post shutdown.

I absolutely hate the fact that I'm seriously considering picking up Twilight Princess HD for Wii U simply because I'm doubtful that we're going to see a Switch version in 2023. And I know the minute the shop closes they're going to announce it out of spite.

I absolutely hate the fact that I'm seriously considering picking up Twilight Princess HD for Wii U simply because I'm doubtful that we're going to see a Switch version in 2023. And I know the minute the shop closes they're going to announce it out of spite.
Hold strong.

If you plan to play it this year, I'd buy it. Plus at least the current iteration of Switch will never surpass having inventory on the second screen IMO.

It will be released sooner or later. Same for WWHD and XenoX.

On the other hand, I don't think we'll ever see these games re-released:
  • Splatoon 1 Single player (to be fair, I'm 50%-50% on this)
  • Paper Mario Color Splash (ditto)
  • NintendoLand
  • Star Fox Zero and Guard
  • Kirby Rainbow Curse
  • Wii Sports Club / Wii Fit U / Wii Party U
  • Affordable Space Adventure

Last edited:

• NintendoLand
Those are all really worthwhile games for anyone interested. I'm glad Nintendo Land was eventually made available on the eShop, it was unavailable digitally for 3-4 years. In fact, I think we're due to revisit the Nintendo Land park before too long lots of fond memories there. It's just a really under-appreciated game and takes me right back to when we got the system at the end of July 2013.

Those are all really worthwhile games for anyone interested. I'm glad Nintendo Land was eventually made available on the eShop, it was unavailable digitally for 3-4 years. In fact, I think we're due to revisit the Nintendo Land park before too long lots of fond memories there. It's just a really under-appreciated game and takes me right back to when we got the system at the end of July 2013.
NintendoLand is great! Donkey Kong, Ballon Fight, Pikmin, and Metroid attractions are good even on single player. In fact, I think Balloon Fight can be seen as an official-unofficial sequel to the NES and GB games. They really put a lot of effort into it. And I recently played the Luigi attraction with 5 players, and everyone loved it -- including people not really into videogames. Mario and AC are also good, but Luigi is something else.

Some of the "minor" attractions are neither here nor there. It is a bit inconsistent in quality. But when it shines, it really shines, and it's one of the reasons I'm keeping the Wii U (and the reason I bought a fourth WiiMote some months ago).

Well, seeing how Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse is pretty much a no go for physical in Europe for a normal price, settled for it digitally through the website and got a free theme with it was a nice surprise. But man. I've forgotten how absolutely shittier the 3DS eShop is to navigate when it comes to literally anything. Figured I'd download the theme through the eShop first since it's a small download before going through the menu to download the game. But you can't enter a code for themes through the eShop (which seems like a huge WTF to me) and downloading the game requires multiple menus that shows just one option per screen and having to scroll through multiple menus to find what you need/want.
The WiiU/Switch eShop are far from perfect, but I'm genuinely grateful for how those two work. Looking back at it after all these years, I'm genuinely shocked this menu not only got designed as it is, but somehow no one internally objected enough against it to stop this from getting out in the open as it is. Good heavens...
It’s kind of crazy how hodge podged the account and online systems are for the 3DS. The eShop was an update. They added on Miiverse and the NNID later on. Retail games weren’t even downloadable the first year. The Theme Shop came years later and what’s crazy is that the eShop is a separate app, but the Theme Shop seems to be part of the OS.

You can open the eShop, go to the Home Screen, open the Theme Shop, buy and apply themes and then return to the eShop without ever quitting it.

So I ordered some eshop cards from Newegg hours ago and they still haven't processed? Anyone else run into this issue with them? Kind of annoyed right now...

• NintendoLand
You think Kirby and the Rainbow Curse gets re-released?

Most of the focus has been put on picking up Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates but I just want to remind people not to sleep on Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

Picked this up in 2018 and I highly recommend it if have even a mild interest in the series. Because it's a remake of the 2nd game, it's unlikely to well...get another remake. So this may be your last chance to play through the story of the 2nd game of the series. As it was typical back on the NES, this game has many differences compared to the formula established in the first game, like the weapon triangle being removed for example. But it also introduced a lot of elements that would sporadically appear in future Fire Emblem games like an explorable map. There's also segments with full free roaming dungeon exploration. You'll explore with a behind back camera but when you enter battle, if will be your standard Fire Emblem tactical battles.

It's faithful to the original game, at times, to a fault. The maps aren't the best in the series and you may find a lack in depth compared to other entries. But despite that, it's still the tried and true Fire Emblem formula at its core. Plus this game introduced some modern quality of life options like rewinding turns. You can customize the difficulty to your liking.

But I think the main reason to play through this game is the story and presentation. While nothing groundbreaking, it's a fun and epic journey with the game's dual protagonist Alm and Celica, who are among the top fan favorites for the series. The presentation was also a step above Awakening and Fates in that nearly all of the dialogue is spoken, even in minor scenes. And in my personal opinion, it's my favorite soundtrack of the 3DS game and even beats out the Switch games.

The game isn't without its warts and Awakening is still the better pickup if you can only get one 3DS Fire Emblem game. But if you have the spare cash and time, I think Echoes is worth taking a look at.

Getting a few things mainly because I’ll probably play them but not going hog wild as I already got so many Atlus games the last time and went nuts on the Wii and still haven’t played a ton of those:

• Trauma Team
  • Star Fox Command
  • Ogre Battle 64
  • The AA DLC cases
Might get Murasame Castle but not sure. Warier this month was certain to get Fates Revelation, but haven’t even finished Fates and have about 6 other FE games to play still. Probably not worth it even if this one is lost to time. Have pretty much every eshop or physical game I’ve wanted on either system for years.

Are Urban Champion and ExciteBike worth getting out of the 3D Classics line-up? I picked up Kirby and Kid Icarus as I really wanted to own the definitive versions of both properly on 3DS, but the other 2 Nintendo titles I'm less like keen to jump on. Excitebike I kind of like, but it's less special to me than the other two and I know it can be a little barebones. And I've never played Urban Champion and it mostly seems like a weird novelty release above all else.

I was supposed to not give in to the FOMO, but did end up getting Bye Bye Boxboy, which I never played (despite my avatar, I know). I had grown tired of how bad the 3DS is for my hands by the time it released, but at least it's a fairly small game.

Last edited:
Well, I just bought Nintendo 3DS Guide Louvre lol. Also grabbed HarmoKnight, Dragon Quest Wars and Crashmo/Fallblox (the only one in the series I didn't have for some reason). Might do one last round before the deadline...thinking about Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe and some of those 3D Classics (already have Kirby's Adventure).

Fuck I hate FOMO. I'm thinking of buying stuff like SMTIV: Apocalypse and DQ8 even though I know for sure I probably won't ever play them. Same goes for many other titles. Really hate this :(

Fuck I hate FOMO. I'm thinking of buying stuff like SMTIV: Apocalypse and DQ8 even though I know for sure I probably won't ever play them. Same goes for many other titles. Really hate this :(
then don't buy them? they're not going away. they came out physically.

And I'm done. Atlus left us hanging, but their games were still super cheap anyway, so I got EO Untold 2 and Devil Survivor 2 and now I have a bucket load of Atlus RPGs to play with the ones I already had bought.

I also got Pokémon Yellow, which funnily enough in my region was the same price as both Atlus' games. I don't really mind if the game comes to NSO later, the 3DS VC is my favorite way to play GBC games because the pixelated screen + 3D effect emulate the original feel almost to a tee, and Pokemon Yellow is a game I want to experience with maximum nostalgia. The other GBC games I can play on NSO.

I still left behind some games I would very much like to play like Planet Robobot, Luigi's Mansion 1, Samus Returns and Rhythm Heaven, but the price they're asking for those in 2023 just isn't something I'm willing to pay when I don't even know how much longer my 3DS will hold. I hope they find their way to modern consoles someday somehow, although it seems unlikely right now.

Good night, sweet prince. You were an alright substitute for the DS, it was a tough act to follow.

then don't buy them? they're not going away. they came out physically.

At the price of Atlus games, you're either obscenely rich, or this is the last chance to get them legally on a 3ds for a reasonable price. SMT apocalypse goes for nearly £200 and this is while you can still buy the digital version for a tenth of that.

Last edited:
Hoping to finish up today. Pretty much down to a handful of VC titles on both platforms, and wrapping up DLC acquisition on 3DS.

Hold strong.
Tryin!

If you plan to play it this year, I'd buy it. Plus at least the current iteration of Switch will never surpass having inventory on the second screen IMO.
That's the thing, I probably wouldn't get to it this year. The only reason I was entertaining picking it up was because second-hand prices are dumb due to a limited print run. And I'm pretty sure the retail version was an MSRP of $60 (instead of $30-40 to match WWHD) because they included an Amiibo in the box. So it got expensive real fast.

At least WWHD I was able to justify to myself at the lower pricepoint and the faster travel times. TPHD was always a weird proposition to me since TP could still be played on Wii U hardware. Didn't the atmosphere take a hit too with the HD version?

But yea, if I had a choice between Switch or Wii U for WW or TP I'd take Switch even without the second screen inventory.

It’s kind of crazy how hodge podged the account and online systems are for the 3DS. The eShop was an update. They added on Miiverse and the NNID later on. Retail games weren’t even downloadable the first year. The Theme Shop came years later and what’s crazy is that the eShop is a separate app, but the Theme Shop seems to be part of the OS.
I think we're going to look back on the Wii U / 3DS era as a major transition point for the company. 3DS definitely launched at a weird time and they just kept glomming more stuff onto it that it wasn't originally intended to do for instance.

Finally got proper wifi back, so finally doing my last-minute 3DS eShopping (likely wii u too but i think i got everything i wanted on there already?)

...man i miss how charming the 3DS shop was, the way they drop little orbs into the game icon and then wrap it up like a present...

Been debating with myself the past few days over the logistics of my wallet funds lol. FOMO has me looking at the DQ and Fire Emblem games smh. But it makes no logical sense to spend that much for those games when those wallets funds would be much better suited for Switch games. And Fire Emblem has become such a big franchise for Nintendo, I don't think they'll leave those entries stranded on a dead store forever, the same feeling I get with Xenoblade X. DQ is up in the air tbh. The Atlus games are the biggest ? of all the 3DS software as far as being brought forward, bc they had a damn good run on the console.

With the Wii U, Nintendo pretty much has ported or replaced all the major exclusives on Switch outside of Yoshi, Kirby, and Star Fox. With their current momentum on NSO, i think they'll eventually cover everything the Wii U VC offers. The Wii & DS fortunately have excellent "preservation" should you opt to modify your Wii U. With WWHD & TPHD, I think everyone should hold strong, including me lol. At their listed price, I think its not worth getting burned due to FOMO.

All in all, its worth spending some last minute money on some of the cheaper full games and Eshop exclusive titles on each respective store, but i think its best to just hold off on making 40+USD purchases for games you may not get to or may even get ported. And if you have a Switch, why not save those funds for newer titles that can still go on sale and have a much better chance at not suffering the same fate as these titles. It really seems Nintendo wants to forget this era as it was a very awkward one for them giving the meteoric rise of mobile gaming and it being their first foray into HD. Hope this at least helps some deal with the FOMO, but obviously you can do what suits you most.

Last edited:
Huh so apparently Donkey Kong ‘94 was delisted at some point? Nintendo what are you doin’?
It still has a page on their website that looks to work (I have it so can’t see if purchasable):

It still has a page on their website that looks to work (I have it so can’t see if purchasable):

Thank you! It wasn't showing up via search in the website or app so I thought it had disappeared for some reason. Since there's so many Mario vs. DK games on DS/3DS it felt weird not to have this as well. I'm sure we're going to get it on NSO in the future though.

Most of the focus has been put on picking up Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates but I just want to remind people not to sleep on Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

Picked this up in 2018 and I highly recommend it if have even a mild interest in the series. Because it's a remake of the 2nd game, it's unlikely to well...get another remake. So this may be your last chance to play through the story of the 2nd game of the series. As it was typical back on the NES, this game has many differences compared to the formula established in the first game, like the weapon triangle being removed for example. But it also introduced a lot of elements that would sporadically appear in future Fire Emblem games like an explorable map. There's also segments with full free roaming dungeon exploration. You'll explore with a behind back camera but when you enter battle, if will be your standard Fire Emblem tactical battles.

It's faithful to the original game, at times, to a fault. The maps aren't the best in the series and you may find a lack in depth compared to other entries. But despite that, it's still the tried and true Fire Emblem formula at its core. Plus this game introduced some modern quality of life options like rewinding turns. You can customize the difficulty to your liking.

But I think the main reason to play through this game is the story and presentation. While nothing groundbreaking, it's a fun and epic journey with the game's dual protagonist Alm and Celica, who are among the top fan favorites for the series. The presentation was also a step above Awakening and Fates in that nearly all of the dialogue is spoken, even in minor scenes. And in my personal opinion, it's my favorite soundtrack of the 3DS game and even beats out the Switch games.

The game isn't without its warts and Awakening is still the better pickup if you can only get one 3DS Fire Emblem game. But if you have the spare cash and time, I think Echoes is worth taking a look at.

I have 3 physical copies of this game cause I forgot to cancel preorders cause it came out during finals week in college 😐

At least I’ll always have acess to this title lol. Wonderful game I agree

So far I bought:

• SMT IV
  • Virtue's Last Reward
  • Shovel Knight - Treasure Trove
  • Attack of the Friday Monsters
  • Radiant Historia

I am still in doubt about:

• Shantae 1 GBC or Shantae and the Pirate Curse
  • Dementium Remastered
  • Pokémon Crystal or a different retro Pokémon.
  • Zelda: LA DX
  • Metroid II
  • Wario Land II or III

To be honest I already think it will take years before I will play most of the games I already bought. My backlog is already pretty huge. I only want to buy more if I'm really sure that the experience will be better on a 3DS.

I don't have a Switch, but I did link my account to the Nintendo Network ID. That means I can spend my remaining money later when I get a Switch and/or it's successor right?

I was supposed to not give in to the FOMO, but did end up getting Bye Bye Boxboy, which I never played (despite my avatar, I know). I had grown tired of how bad the 3DS is for my hands by the time it released, but at least it's a fairly small game.
I am weak, and also bought:
  • Fallblox (Or Crashmo? I thought I already owned this game)
  • Virtue's Last Reward (I remember trying a demo ages ago)
  • Shovel Knight (I own this game a million times, but it was cheap and the 3D is a novelty)
Which means I should be good until Tears of the Kingdom is released

Last edited:
Thank you! It wasn't showing up via search in the website or app so I thought it had disappeared for some reason. Since there's so many Mario vs. DK games on DS/3DS it felt weird not to have this as well. I'm sure we're going to get it on NSO in the future though.
Just in case you haven't played it before, it's a really excellent puzzle platformer that still holds up super well today.

I'm not someone who has played this, but I've heard the Rise of Deliverance DLC pack contains 4 prologue chapters to the whole game for $12.99 that are considered THE DLC to get if you're going to for Echoes.
Those, and maybe the fire emblem Cipher dlcs which add 4 characters from a weird Japan spin off card game are the only things really worth a look.

So, that's a wrap then. Ended up spending more than I initially wanted, but here are my final purchases on 3DS and Wii U:

3DS:
-The Denpa Men 3 (already owned the original, skipped the second)
-Fallblox + all Fullblox passes (owned Pullblox before)
-Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
-Yo-Kai Watch 3
-80's Overdrive
-Dr. Mario Miracle Cure
-SpeedThru: Potzol's Puzzle
-Mario Golf: World Tour Season Pass (+ a used cartridge of the game itself)
-DLC cases for AA 5 and 6
-story-related DLC for FE Awakening and Fates
-DLC for A-Train 3D: City Simulator
-DLC for Art Academy
-Out Run 3D
-Kirby's Adventure (3D Classics)
-Kid Icarus (3D Classics)
-Pokémon Crystal
-Donkey Kong Land 1-3
-Legend of the River King 1+2
-Donkey Kong '94
-Mole Mania
-Catrap

Wii U:
-Sin & Punishment 2
-Pikmin 2
-Punch-Out!! Wii
-Rayman Advance
-Rayman 3 (GBA)
-Klonoa: Empire of Dreams
-Mario Golf: Advance Tour
-Mario vs. Donkey Kong (forgot I own it already via the 3DS ambassador program -.-)

I bought also a physical version of Disney Art Academy, because it was sold for only 5€ (new & sealed), so I figured why not, lol.

One thing I'm really glad with - now that I've officially 'done' with my 3DS buying - is that I didn't end up purchasing Pokemon Crystal. I haven't even touched my copy of Pokemon Violet yet, so spending money on a much older version I have no nostalgic attachment towards is just a waste. Even if it's relatively cheap.

As midnight here in the UK draws near, I feel this is a good way to represent the mood:

Feels... so weird. Not gonna lie. I'm honestly kinda emotional about it.

I’m done, did my last 2 little grabs(Tank Troopers and Aero Porter) and I’m good to go. Don’t have much budget and I already have too much backlog and it and my switch, so I’m fine with what I’ve got

I grabbed Steel diver sub wars premium. Was more than I thought($10) but I had the credit so why not

I should buy my 3DS wishlist now before I forget. Sorry DQ7, maybe in another life, I have no idea if I will ever play you.

Still need to go through Wii U but I think it's just a couple of VC games I would like to buy.

Does it end tonight at midnight or tomorrow at 11:59? All I can find is that it ends the 27th

No one seems to know. Guess whenever someone decides to flip the switch
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/netinfo/de_DE/index.html

Datum und Uhrzeit
Von ca. Montag, 27. März 2023, 7:00 Uhr, bis ca. Montag, 27. März 2023, 9:00 Uhr

Sorry for the german. I think this server maintenance will be the closing of the buying option.

Nintendo customer support told me about this website. Just google for "nintendo server"

Last edited:
Picked up Kirby Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot. They've been on my maybe list for years so I figured I'd pick them up while I still had a chance.

Back
Top Bottom