• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Wii U and 3DS Virtual Console Essential Purchases and Discussion Thread - (Update: Wii U /3DS eShops Officially Closed)

What was your favorite Wii U/3DS Virtual Console Moment?

• Total voters
You still can! Last night I redeemed an extra code of Guacamelee that I had on HB! :D
52775773218_4af1cd666b_c.jpg
Ok so yesterday when I replied to your post it was unavailable but they realized they pulled it too early so now you can still redeem codes until April 4th. Thanks a lot, grabbed Darksiders 2 and the first Affordable Space Adventures code 🙏🏽

The eshop is just empty now but you can still redeem codes, it doesn’t seem to work if you redeem it from the browser

Ok so yesterday when I replied to your post it was unavailable but they realized they pulled it too early so now you can still redeem codes until April 4th. Thanks a lot, grabbed Darksiders 2 and the first Affordable Space Adventures code 🙏🏽

The eshop is just empty now but you can still redeem codes, it doesn’t seem to work if you redeem it from the browser
Good thing I went with the second code :)

Now that it is closed, I have to say that I am really disappointed with how Nintendo has handled the pricing at the end, particularly the 3DS. The vast majority of these games are years out at best from getting HD ports on the Switch or whatever Nintendo has cooking. A lot of these titles are going to be locked away for the next several years. I don't expect Nintendo to go the Capcom route of selling these games for 90% or something crazy, but putting all of their first party stuff at $19.99 around a year ago would have been a nice gesture. $39.99 for most of those titles was a big turn off. I'd rather brave the used market at that point.

The Wii-U, I kind of get, but it still sucks. Most of their titles are either on the Switch now or likely will be in the next couple of years. Those are more accessible after the eshop closure. Still, it would have been nice to see those drop a few bucks.

Also, pour one out for the Virtual Console.

Oh damn it, I tried to redeem the Affordable Space Adventures code yesterday to no avail. I'm bummed I missed that one. Any chance anyone has one final code for that one lying around?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that these codes are only available for the U.S. region.

Hi everyone, so I just remembered that I had a bunch of Wii U and 3DS game codes that I bought from Humble Bundle ages ago, redeemed one on my Wii U to test if it still worked, and it did! But the eshop is getting hammered right now, got a lot of connection errors trying to access it so have a bit of patience if you want to redeem a code. Enjoy!

P.S. All the codes I'm posting where unrevealed on my Humble Bundle account, so I'm certain these haven't been redeemed yet.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

Just wanted to say a big thanks to you as I got Street Fighter and Shantae on 3DS out of this. Both games I overly hesitated on for pulling the trigger on and were interested in, but really thank you so much for giving these out.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that these codes are only available for the U.S. region.

Hi everyone, so I just remembered that I had a bunch of Wii U and 3DS game codes that I bought from Humble Bundle ages ago, redeemed one on my Wii U to test if it still worked, and it did! But the eshop is getting hammered right now, got a lot of connection errors trying to access it so have a bit of patience if you want to redeem a code. Enjoy!

P.S. All the codes I'm posting where unrevealed on my Humble Bundle account, so I'm certain these haven't been redeemed yet.

Just grabbed retro city for 3DS, thank you so much for allowing me to experience this shop one last time after so many years.

Thanks for posting these codes, i was able to use the Guac code - much appreciated!

Pushmo games on 3DS are great because they have QR code sharing. That should work for user designed levels still. Wii U one had miiverse, which is dead now.

Hoping the Pushmo/Crashmo games make it onto Switch eventually. I have the one on Wii U but it'd be nice to have it on a current console. It feels like a no brainer. Just shadow drop it during a Direct and you have a fun crowd pleaser that people can play right away.

Hoping the Pushmo/Crashmo games make it onto Switch eventually. I have the one on Wii U but it'd be nice to have it on a current console. It feels like a no brainer. Just shadow drop it during a Direct and you have a fun crowd pleaser that people can play right away.
Yeah. We are due for another Nintendo eshop puzzle game and a new one with all the mechanics of the series would be cool.

Pushmo games on 3DS are great because they have QR code sharing. That should work for user designed levels still. Wii U one had miiverse, which is dead now.
Miiverse sharing was awesome, but I think Wii U has QR too:

Created puzzles can be shared via Miiverse and can also be shared across Wii U and 3DS versions of the game using QR codes. However, not all of the Wii U puzzles will be able to be shared on 3DS.

i'm surprised the thread title hasn't been updated yet to note that the eshop is officially shut down, particularly considering it's only about 2 more days until April rolls around.

i'm surprised the thread title hasn't been updated yet to note that the eshop is officially shut down, particularly considering it's only about 2 more days until April rolls around.
Thanks. It is done. I’m also probably going to have the thread closed after the redemption code extension period is over in case someone has a random one they want to throw in here.

Here's my final thoughts on the eShop now that it's done and buried finally...

tl;dr: Yea it doesn't have music, but the Switch eShop is a lot better than this was.

So hear me out... I'm honestly glad Nintendo has put this era behind them. Yea, the old eShops had more personality to them. But let's be honest, the business around them sorta sucked ok?

I'll start with what was good:
  • DSiWare, and to a lesser extent the 3DS exclusives, seems to have been a great outlet for smaller, original projects for Nintendo and plenty of their partner studios like IntSys, Game Freak, Brownie Brown, etc. I sorta regret not having paid much attention to this era (including what was also happening with WiiWare) not just because the sticker shock that hit my wallet with this shutdown but I tend to gravitate towards smaller, quirky, and weird games which seemed to be something Nintendo liked to peddle as a way to draw interest in their online stores. At least until the indies started to show up and budgets had to grow.

It really feels like the end of an era with this closure because to be honest, if I'm not mistaken.... we've really not seen this with Switch. HAL seems to be the only Nintendo adjacent entity that's regularly dropped smaller titles into the store like a 4th BoxBoy title, a port of Part Time UFO, and a couple of Kirby spinoffs.
  • The music. We all miss the music. Bring back the music.

As for the bad, this stuff made me kinda cross at the end:
  • I'll repeat myself again: it's so nice that games no longer embed their DLC store inside the game. On the one hand, it's kinda neat and immersive. On the other hand, it's a pain in the rear when you have to progress up to several hours in a game (or even beat the game) in order to get access to the DLC.
  • Hidden listings were obnoxious. Yea, it's kinda neat to be able to buy or download the first Dragon Quest by finishing Dragon Quest 11 and that's the only way to reach it. But, it's also really stupid when you can't even download Pokemon Transporter unless you have a copy of a game compatible with Pokemon Bank.
  • Piecemeal DLC for $0.99-4.99 a pop was a mistake and I'm so glad that Nintendo and others have moved onto the Season Pass model of bundling things together. It's actually kinda funny how Nintendo has kinda come full circle and we're basically back at game releases followed by an expansion pack 9-12 months later like it was with PC gaming in the 90's.
  • It's pretty stupid that DLC and Virtual Console titles seemed to be excluded from any sort of sales for some reason. I'm glad for the Switch that DLC is handled more sensibly and is included in sales now.
  • Weird pricing for late gen 3DS games. I don't know why they thought a retail price tag for Dillon Dead-Heat Breakers or Kirby Battle Royale was a good idea. I know Dillon 3 got a physical release in other regions but every review I've seen would suggest that the game didn't justify the huge increase in price over the previous titles. And that Kirby spin-off ranking list that was posted previously had a good point about KBR feeling more like it should've been another eShop Kirby spin-off title (and price accordingly) rather than a full blown retail release.
  • Weird splitting of the Virtual Console across two platforms and inconsistencies in the lineup. Wii U could play NES, SNES, GBA, and DS games... but it couldn't do Game Boy? Why is Earthbound Beginnings available on Wii U but not 3DS? Why is The Mysterious Murasame Castle available on 3DS but not Wii U? Huh? Just so many weird decisions around Virtual Console...

Like I said before, this was definitely an era of transition for Nintendo and so much of it shows in hindsight. I loved my 3DS and Wii U but I think on the whole things are much better with the Switch. I do wish there was more experimentation going on with smaller titles like we had back in the 2000's but I think Nintendo has less pressure now to do that themselves with indies doing a lot of that work for them.

Anyways, shine on you crazy diamonds and so long and thanks for all the fish!

Wow, I was offline for 3 days and just checked this morning that I had a bunch of alerts, lol.

I'm glad that they extended the code redemption period and happy for those of you who managed to redeem some of the games!

I would never buy or wear this, but I found it amusing someone decided to make a shirt for the occasion lol.

Back
Top Bottom