• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Which other older game franchises would you be thrilled to see getting a package release like Sonic Origins?

Tailzo

Paratroopa
sonic-origins-1-scaled-e1654095900711-1200x1200-c-default.jpg

I’ve been enjoying Sonic Origins immensely these last few days. among the high points for me are
  • new animted openings, endings that ties every game together pefectly
  • new animation frames that gives the game that little extra polish
    • Super Sonic when rotating
    • Special stages being updated at higher framerates
    • Tails getting his own little animation at the start of Sonic 3
  • Artwork to unlock
  • Music to listen to
  • Super charming island maps in 3d showing small details
  • restored "Hidden Palace" in Sonic 2
  • Ported games in real 16:9, no emulation

It may seem silly that 5 old games sold at 40$ seems like such a big deal for me, but it just elevated these all time classics to an even higher degree. We see old games rereleased as roms packaged in collections all the time, but I haven’t seen this kind of effort in a while.

Shining Force series

SF2InFGGB_Book_JP.jpg
shining-force-ii-virtual-console-20081006003639773-2590370.jpg
1-Shining_Force_II_(U)__!__001.png

That got me thinking how cool it would be if Sega could do the same for Shining Force, Shining Force 2 and Shining Force CD. Now, Shining Force has lost all of its good reputation, and the “Shining” series means nothing to anyone, except for a few weirdos like me. But those games are among the very best strategy rpgs I know of. And I love the gameplay, characters and even the art style of the games. I’d like to see them

• In one package
  • Shining Force 1 being updated to look a bit better, like the sequels
  • maybe a prologue, or something between the timeskip between 2 and CD?
  • Artwork, I want to see more!
  • Music, I love it!
  • Real ports, in 16:9. WHat ends up beyond the game maps, can show more of the scenery around it.

Last edited:
I’ve been enjoying Sonic Origins immensely these last few days. among the high points for me are
  • Artwork to unlock
  • Music to listen to

It may seem silly that 5 old games sold at 40$ seems like such a big deal for me, but it just elevated these all time classics to an even higher degree. We see old games rereleased as roms packaged in collections all the time, but I haven’t seen this kind of effort in a while.

Shining Force series

SF2InFGGB_Book_JP.jpg

That got me thinking how cool it would be if Sega could do the same for Shining Force, Shining Force 2 and Shining Force CD. Now, Shining Force has lost all of its good reputation, and the “Shining” series means nothing to anyone, except for a few weirdos like me. But those games are among the very best strategy rpgs I know of. And I love the gameplay, characters and even the art style of the games. I’d like to see them

• In one package
  • Music, I love it!
  • Real ports, in 16:9. WHat ends up beyond the game maps, can show more of the scenery around it.
I like all this, but also include Shining Force 3 for Saturn and Shining in the Darkness and Holy Ark AND as a bonus, maybe Shining Wisdom as that was the last good Shining game.

Add some good filters, and some QoL upgrades in regards to in game menus and management, and of course, ability to double time movement and battles.

2D Metroid easily I would buy day 1 even if 60$ for all non-Dread games, outside Metroid II/Samus Returns 16:9 1080p would already be enough to make them feel modern imo

Last edited:
Forgot to say my own personal pick.

1. A Lunar collection featuring Sega CD and Saturn remakes.l and the Gaiden.

2. A Snatcher and Policenauts duology.

3. Fuck it, give me a Working Designs collection featuring Popful Mail, Exile, Alundra, etc.

I like all this, but also include Shining Force 3 for Saturn and Shining in the Darkness and Holy Ark AND as a bonus, maybe Shining Wisdom as that was the last good Shining game.

Add some good filters, and some QoL upgrades in regards to in game menus and management, and of course, ability to double time movement and battles.
You’re saying; if you’re already dreaming, aim higher! And I love that, you are offcourse 109% right :)

The Hyrule Fantasy collection. Zelda 1, 2 and LttP.

This isn't exactly what you're asking for, but I think a great DLC for TMNT Shredder's Revenge would be the Konami arcades remade in the new engine.

There's so many. I would personally want the Yu Suzuki arcade games like After Burner/Super Hang On/Outrun. A lot of companies should learn from Capcom who isn't afraid to release the same game in two different collections because it makes sense for it to be in both.

Wario Land 1-4 + Wario Land for the Virtual Boy please. Thanks.

I'd love a classic Shining collection.
For tying-together-as-story-arc purposes, ideally you'd also remake Final Conflict like how CD remade Gaiden I+II.
Then you'd probably have to present it as a central timeline with branches coming out it.
The 'trunk' is probably 1->Final Conflict->2->...Shining in the Darkness, I think? The Darksol in SitD is Darksol II, right?
Alternatively, it could be 1->Final Conflict->one branch leading to 2, another branch leading to SitD.
CD branches off of 1. Chronologically, maybe it can be positioned...I'd say between Final Conflict and 2.
Wisdom branches off of 2?
3 is after Shining the Holy Ark, but hell if I remember if it can be directly traced back to the 'trunk'.

I would love for Komani to continue with their collections. It's the one thing we might be able to count on them to do.

The DS Castlevanias are a no-brainer but a Castlevania Gems collection of games like Catlevania Chronicles, 64, Legacy of Darkness, the two PS2 games, Rebirth, Haunted Castle, Vampire Killer, and Legends would be rad.

Also, bring Gradius and Parodius Collections to current consoles please.

I would love for Komani to continue with their collections. It's the one thing we might be able to count on them to do.

The DS Castlevanias are a no-brainer but a Castlevania Gems collection of games like Catlevania Chronicles, 64, Legacy of Darkness, the two PS2 games, Rebirth, Haunted Castle, Vampire Killer, and Legends would be rad.

Also, bring Gradius and Parodius Collections to current consoles please.
If Konami keeps porting all their portable titles into collections for the Switch, and Capcom is pretty much done doing it... Pretty soon it's just going to be Nintendo GBA/DS games you have to emulate, lol

I'd love it if, in addition to all the cool suggestions, you add in what should be improved if they ported it in bullet points. Or just a few short sentences. For example for the Zelda games, would you want a lost dungeon like "Hidden Palace Zone" restored? :)

Arc the Lad and Wild Arms.

Unfortunately, they're published by Sony, who doesn't care about games that aren't the goddamn last of us.

sonic-origins-1-scaled-e1654095900711-1200x1200-c-default.jpg

• Artwork to unlock
  • Music to listen to
  • restored "Hidden Palace" in Sonic 2

Shining Force series

SF2InFGGB_Book_JP.jpg

• In one package
  • Music, I love it!

I would pay stupid money for a Shining Force Origins with Shining Force I, II, CD and Shining in the Darkness. Shining Force III Collection as a separate thing with the premium disc included would be another collection I'd pay a ton for. Would be nice not to dig out my Saturn to play my patched versions of the S3 Trilogy.

I originally would have said Chrono Trigger/Cross/Radical Dreamers...but with the recent CC remaster it is clear that complete package isn't coming.

Vectorman would be cool, but that is just two games already available in many collections...

Hmmmm a lot of what I would pick is already in some form of collection now that I think about it. Maybe a Legend of Zelda Four Sword collection.

The three games included would be those pertaining to that storyline, one of which is unplayable solo without a limited anniversary edition with another being stuck on gamecube.

The three in question would be...

Minish Cap
Four Swords
Four Swords Adventures

This would make every mainline Zelda available on playforms from 3DS forward.

I originally would have said Chrono Trigger/Cross/Radical Dreamers...but with the recent CC remaster it is clear that complete package isn't coming.

Vectorman would be cool, but that is just two games already available in many collections...

Hmmmm a lot of what I would pick is already in some form of collection now that I think about it. Maybe a Legend of Zelda Four Sword collection.

The three games included would be those pertaining to that storyline, one of which is unplayable solo without a limited anniversary edition with another being stuck on gamecube.

The three in question would be...

Minish Cap
Four Swords
Four Swords Adventures

This would make every mainline Zelda available on playforms from 3DS forward.
I’d like to see that Zelda collection. What kind of abilities could earlier Zelda games get added? In Sonic you have Tails flying in Sonic 2, Drop dash from Sonic Mania, Spindash Sonic 2 style in Sonic CD and so on.

I’d like to see that Zelda collection. What kind of abilities could earlier Zelda games get added? In Sonic you have Tails flying in Sonic 2, Drop dash from Sonic Mania, Spindash Sonic 2 style in Sonic CD and so on.
Not sure what they could add to Minish Cap...maybe an extra dungeon like Link's Awakening DS?

As for Four Swords, add the formation gimmik from Four Sword Adventures. That would suffice for that game.

If Four Swords Adventures needed an add on as well, add a flashy (but not game breaking) special move for the formations used in single player. I think that would be cool.

Two answers:

-Breath of Fire collection with all 5 games (yes, five, not six). New animated opening videos with a visual style akin to the BoF4 cutscenes. All the typical bells and whistles of rereleased jrpgs such as fast forwards and save states and difficulty options etc., along with concept art gallery and a music player. Released as a physical version alongside the digital release please.

-Burnout Classic Collection with as many as possible of the classic games pre-Paradise (1, 2, 3, Revenge, Dominator, maybe even Legends). Preferably all of them, but if need be they could cut 1 and Legends. Dominator should stay though, it's got some killer tracks. As much of the original soundtracks intact as possible. Upscaled and running at 60fps and there's honestly nothing else needed to be added. If it was done by a studio that reaaally cares about the franchise and they for some reason had extra time/money to throw around, how about including a bonus set of levels for 3 and/or Revenge that are bits and pieces of the Paradise map turned into linear levels in the style of 3, just because.

The original SNES Donkey Kong Country trilogy. Would love to see;
-16:9 option
-include the SNES, GBC, GBA, and Donkey Kong Land versions of the game (they ported this series too many times).
-Play as any of the kongs in any game (probably would break some things).
-Sound test/Music player
-Concept Art from the original development team.
-The original ads and promotional video for the game.
-digital and physical version of the strategy guides.
-physical release should come in a DK barrel.

Dragon Quest I-VI, I know we have I-III already and III is getting the HD 2D version, but the mobile ports just look ugly lol. I'd also be happy with them just porting IV-VI to modern consoles.

Dragon Quest I-VI, I know we have I-III already and III is getting the HD 2D version, but the mobile ports just look ugly lol. I'd also be happy with them just porting IV-VI to modern consoles.
Yes!! Real ports, not emulations. With tons of side content like art from Akira Toriyama, restored cut content, promotion videos, Digital Dragon Quest manga, orchestral music, fast spead, save states, real 16-9 for all the games, saves from one game to the next unlocking extra secrets, new animations, new optionsl extra story, new secret areas, new optional bosses…

I’d love this!!

Yes!! Real ports, not emulations. With tons of side content like art from Akira Toriyama, restored cut content, promotion videos, Digital Dragon Quest manga, orchestral music, fast spead, save states, real 16-9 for all the games, saves from one game to the next unlocking extra secrets, new animations, new optionsl extra story, new secret areas, new optional bosses…

I’d love this!!
One thing I would love: the Bravely Default approach to random encounters. Or even the FF PS1 game ports features. Meaning, being able to turn off random encounters and being able to fast forward for grinding sessions. Also, the Toriyama art gallery is a fantastic idea and so obvious it's crazy they haven't done that!

• The Quintet Trilogy (because it deserves the attention)
  • Trails in the Sky (because I never got a chance to play them)
  • The 16-bit WB games (Buster Busts Loose, Buster's Hidden Treasure, Rabbit Rampage, Animaniacs...) I know those are wrapped up with different devs (I mean most if the good ones are Konami) but it'd still be rad and I'd buy it day 1

The Super Bomberman series, the ones on the SNES and not the R games (since they are modern). All five of them, and yes, even the ones that are Japan-only.

I felt that a good deal of Bomberman staples could be traced back to this series, like how the fourth game is the only one where there are Bomber characters with special abilities and monsters with special abilities (e.g. the dinosaurs can cause bombs to have piercing blasts). Mixing and matching the games would be an interesting twist, like how you can use Magnet Bomber from the second game in the fourth game, or Pirate Bomber from the fifth game in the second game.

Thank you for reading.

Back
Top Bottom