• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Which Nintendo DS model do regular DS games look best on?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2807
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2807

I’ve seen this topic up for debate a time or two in the past, but I feel I never have seen a concrete answer as to the question.

Yes, you can play regular DS games on a 3DS/2DS, etc., but they are a bit blown up - and I hear that holding down that button combination upon startup to get it in its original resolution still is iffy for some.

So, when it comes to playing Original DS software, which DS do you all use? Where would you find the best results in crispness and form factor?

I prefer playing on the DSi models. The standard size is probably the most balanced option for crispness, but the bigger screens of the XL add so much. Both options are far better than playing DS games on any 3DS model if you ask me.

I use DSi LL/XL. I used the 3DS XL line for a long time since my DSi XL was crushed within my first couple weeks of college by my textbooks and I didn't want to buy a new one or go back to the smaller form factor. But during the pandemic I wanted to play all of the DS Dragon Quest games and I realized I had enough money to rebuy the XL, so I went on eBay and got a Japanese DSi LL (which prevents me from using it to play the gen 5 Pokemon games, but it also means I can play Fire Emblem Shin Monshou without having to dig out the DS Lite).

DSi XL once your eyes adjust to the visible pixel grid. The IPS displays really pop. Colours are so vibrant. Games like Final Fantasy Tactics look beautiful.

I've tried playing DS games on a 3DS but can't stand the blur compared to the pin sharpness of the DSi XL. You can do nearest neighbour scaling but you lose a lot of screen estate if I recall correctly.

And colours still don't look as good on any 3DS model, though you do have to play the screen lottery with 3DS, so your mileage may vary.

DS games look awful on any 3DS model.

I have a normal DSi and the sharpness and vibrancy are superior.

Playing on the 3DS with the shrunken real estate is a bit unfortunate but I would never pick the bigger blown up XL screens with their awful PPI instead

DSi feels like it should be ideal but the single DSi model I have has weird sound output compared to my DS Lite so it's hard to say if it's definitively better

DS on 3DS is not great.

I love the DSi! I think the DSi is probably my favourite piece of Nintendo hardware they’ve ever made. Actually, I think the Switch OLED (which I’ve only had for about a month) might be taking over the top spot, but the DSi was my favourite for a long time.

I picked up a DSi XL a few months ago and it is truly amazing. A huge upgrade from my DS Lite. They are surprisingly cheap on ebay, especially if you're willing to buy one without a charger or stylus. I don't understand how so many people lose their styluses.

I think I’m going to venture today for a DSiXL.

I had the original DSi back when those first came out, and I remember being amazed by it and loving it, but I wasn’t extremely tech savvy back then about pixels and blur and resolution and such, and I’ve never even had the DSiXL so I think that would make a run DS to play OG DS games on - plus, I’m assuming it’s multimedia stuff is still fun to mess around with or have as a distraction!

I tried to find a DSi XL locally today, and I’ve had a bit of a rude awakening.

I genuinely forgot how like, I dunno, half of the USA didn’t take care of their electronic handhelds. So every one I could find was missing styluses, scratched to heck and back on the top and touch screen, etc.

I’ll look for a more desirable conditioned one online!

Back
Top Bottom