• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Which N64 + Genesis game will you play first on NSO Expansion Pack?

I'm still debating whether to get the expansion pack day one or not. The problem is I have already so many other ways to play the Mega Drive games and the most exciting games that are available day one for N64 have been remade or remastered, so I would rather play those better versions. On the other hand, I never played some of the launch games like Sin & Punishment, Dr. Mario 64 and Star Fox 64. Guess I will make my decision after Ninty announced the upgrade fee.

Just in case you don't know- you can easily change the region of your Nintendo account (as long as you don't have any unused vouchers or funds), download the US app and change it back afterwards. The whole process doesn't take more than a few minutes and there is no additional account needed. :)
I know. But I don’t think that this is particularly a good solution. No reason why this can‘t be a simple switch in the settings of the app.

Mario Kart 64 and Paper Mario, but I'm not sure I'll be getting the Expansion Pass yet. Depends on pricing and any other perks we get for the extra $$$. I mean, realistically, the number of N64 games that might be put on here is... not that high.

Good question. Either Ocarina of Time, because it's been a long time since I played it, or Phantasy Star IV, because I heard good things about it and love JRPGs.

Are these going to have any type of sharpening and fps increase like Mario 64 did in the all stars collection?
Mario 64 and Sunshine in All Stars were still 30fps, right?

But I'm pretty sure these new versions are just going to be the vanilla game, no enhancements.

star fox 64. i really prefer the 3ds one, but the core game is so pure and great that it almost doesn’t matter.

genesis — bloodlines 😎 🔥

It will probably be Paper Mario, I was always interested in it but never played it.
So now I'll get my chance. Probably some Mario Kart 64 too. Hope I still like it..

I think I'll hold off on getting the Expansion Pass, at least until Paper Mario and Banjo Kazooie are on there. I'd get it for Ocarina of Time, but I literally just bought the 3DS version.

As I never had a N64. I am starting to look more and more forward to this. I definitely interested in Paper Mario :D.

Not terribly excited about anything in the first batch of N64 games, but it might be nice to make another 100% Ocarina of Time save file on there.

Good question. Either Ocarina of Time, because it's been a long time since I played it, or Phantasy Star IV, because I heard good things about it and love JRPGs.
I'm in the same boat with Phantasy Star IV. I played the Sega Ages version of the original using a guide and that was fun, but I'm sure IV is on another level. If I get the expansion pack, I'll finally give PS IV a go.

Mario Kart 64 and Paper Mario, but I'm not sure I'll be getting the Expansion Pass yet. Depends on pricing and any other perks we get for the extra $$$. I mean, realistically, the number of N64 games that might be put on here is... not that high.
I mean the entire first party lineup sans the Pokémon stadiums, probably most of the Rare lineup is on the table too outside of Mickey, Goldeneye and maybe the other M rated games. It’s a bit soon to tell on third parties cause we won’t know till updates but Konami(Hudsonsoft) seems to be back on board and Nintendo has a good relationship with Bandai Namco and Imagineer who both hold a surprising number of Games. Sega is on board and after SMT on SF NSO both Snowboard kids should be on the table as well. Oh and Treasure teased more games coming too

Definitely upgrading. I know that the whole online ecosystem is a quite bare and wish it brought back cool things we had on the Wii U and 3DS, but I honestly really like NSO. I spent lots of money on VC and usually buying the "classics". With NSO, outside of the classics, I've been playing a lot of really good deep cuts or niche games that I would not have shelled out for. So for me, a few bucks a month for NSO along with Tetris 99 and Pac-Man 99 is worth it. They should add more things however. Bring back and keep vouchers permanent, and offer NSO only sales with deeper discounts. Pipe Dream, since I know one of the reasons it got shut down was the cost, bring back Miiverse for NSO members 😃

And when I was a teen, N64 games were so pricey I only had like 5 games for it. So looking forward to it. You can bet I will be picking up the controller as well.

As for the Genesis, I dig this. I bought the Genesis Collection and it is horrible. It's clunky, laggy, and the image quality is questionable (the sprites look off). The Genesis Mini and the Sega Classics on 3DS - all courtesy of M2 - were so well done. Will skip the controller, however, as I never cared for the Genesis controller.

I understand the frustrations with NSO slowly adding titles and certain games not showing up, but outside of smaller titles, third parties will not even bother when they can do their own collection or Square can just re-release Chrono Trigger for 20 bucks. Trust me, the drip is annoying, but we are almost done with most first party games that are worth it. Nintendo knows this, which is why they are likely waiting for Earthbound and Super Mario RPG to release at an opportune time like DKC.

N64: probably Mario 64.

Genesis: Castlevania Bloodlines. Definitely looking forward to what deep cuts are on both (Glover for N64 from Pico?)

I missed F-Zero X, Majora's Mask and Sin and Punishment. First goes F-Zero X.
From the Megadrive NSO, I guess Contra Hard Cops.

Ocarina of Time for N64 probably. I've been itching to replay Sin & Punishment too and might give Winback a whirl.

On MD probably some playthroughs of Gunstar Heroes, Ristar and MUSHA.

Oddly I've already replayed a few of these on Switch anyway through other releases and collections (Mario 64, Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra Hard Corps, Sonic 2, Strider).

I've been wanting to replay Ocarina of Time for a little while now (I was originally going to dig out my 3DS to play the remake), so I'm looking forward to that.

I came here to say Ocarina of Time. Then, I realized I can play A Link to the Past right now. Needless to say that I have never played the game before in any form and that I'm excited AF.

Oh, right. Forgot about that. 😀 Then it is Sin and Punishment.
Maybe WinBack, out of curiosity? Never heard about it.
It’s one of the original cover shooters. Apparently pretty solid, though it has some crazy(and cheap) moments due to the lack of genre precedents but in a fun way. Also has 4 player multi

I'm interested in Paper Mario and Sin & Punishment but I'd be more interested in finding out we'll get 60hz with FIGS. Taking a few minutes of effort to change my account region while I get the app from an NTSC region? Sounds like a very big ask to me, I dunno.

I've mostly played the Mega Drive stuff I'd like to, but I'll give Shining a try.

Paper Mario. I haven't played it.

Also buying at least 2 N64 controllers. Two more if/when the one of the decent compatible brawler64 or tribute64 options. If we get reports of button mappings working well, I may also pick up an 8bitdo genesis controller. If not, the n64 controller has a perfectly usable 6 button layout.

If I get this I would play Echo first. I played that all the time as a kid,but I know it was just me swimming around aimlessly so I would like to complete it this time. As for the N64 stuff I would go either with Sin and Punishment since I never played it or Starfox 64 for some online dogfights. I have zero interest in playing the main game for Starfox, as I really love the 3D effect on the 3DS version.

I might just start with a low star count replay of 64 if it isn't too inferior to 3D All-Stars version.

It'll have to be Mario Tennis. I still think it's the best Camelot have done with tennis, it just plays fantasticly. Every game since has tried to add some extra gimmick, from power shots to mega sized players. Admittedly I really enjoyed Aces, but I still think the core game of tennis hit its peak on the N64.
Four player local play will be a jolt down memory lane as well. Can't wait!

Banjo, man, what else. Also never got very far in Sin & Punishment so that'll be nice to return to.

Also want to play Strider again, and never played Musha before, so that'll be neat to try out.

Ecco for Genesis and probably Winback on 64 since I never could find the game anywhere back in the day.

How is Paper Mario 64 as the first dive into the series?

It's the best place to start. It's not a difficult game by any means, but there's a great sense of adventure to it.

How is Paper Mario 64 as the first dive into the series?
Wonderful. TTYD is the more beloved one, but as someone who prefers the original, I think it's better paced in several aspects. It's simpler in a few ways, and while TTYD wasn't exactly complicated, I felt several of its additions lacked cohesion. To put it another way - despite TTYD being the bigger classic, it's harder for me to envision a TTYD fan who doesn't at least enjoy 64 than a 64 fan who doesn't enjoy TTYD (though both are going to have a ton of overlap). This is especially true today, as I feel 64's simplicity hasn't aged as much.

It does have a different sort of charm than was present in TTYD onward. It has more of a storybook feel, sacrificing a bit of the series' trademark humor (though it still has its moments) for a somewhat cuter presentation.
Paper Mario. I haven't played it.
Enjoy! But both of you mind that we don't know when it's going to show up, just that it won't this month.

Ocarina of Time. I haven’t played the game since its 3DS remake and have been waiting for a Switch release.

And for those of you have only ever played the Xbox version of Banjo-Kazooie, you’ll find that the Nintendo 64 version is more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom