• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Which N64 + Genesis game will you play first on NSO Expansion Pack?

Do we know if this will have the "enhanced" version of Mario 64 in the 3D collection or just 1:1 emulation?

There's a non-zero chance I just decide to replay Super Mario 64 again; i've only done a few runs this year so far, might as well throw in another on the new service...

Right now i'm thinking Yoshi's Story though; as one of the five people on this planet that legitimately likes the game I feel it's my duty to replay it and make sure it's actually good.

Do we know if this will have the "enhanced" version of Mario 64 in the 3D collection or just 1:1 emulation?
It's not going to have any of 3D All-Stars' enhancements. The Japanese app has the Rumble Pak Version that 3D All-Stars used as a base though; but the international app will use the regular NTSC-U and PAL roms.

t's not going to have any of 3D All-Stars' enhancements. The Japanese app has the Rumble Pak Version that 3D All-Stars used as a base though; but the international app will use the regular NTSC-U and PAL roms.
Well that‘s disappointing. Makes the decision to sell the 3D collection only for few months even more weird. And PAL version, really? It is 2021.
Still hope that we‘ll see other Nintendo games as HD versions on Switch, even when I‘ve to pay 20 to 30$ for Mario Galaxy 2.

I'm probably going to wait until Paper Mario arrives. But then Yoshi's Story is also inbounds. May want to see what all the moaning was about with Majora's Mask. But it will mean having to defend the ranch without gyro, which is not an appealing prospect.

There's a non-zero chance I just decide to replay Super Mario 64 again; i've only done a few runs this year so far, might as well throw in another on the new service...

Right now i'm thinking Yoshi's Story though; as one of the five people on this planet that legitimately likes the game I feel it's my duty to replay it and make sure it's actually good.

I love Yoshi’s Story and I’m long overdue for an all routes run clear
Well that‘s disappointing. Makes the decision to sell the 3D collection only for few months even more weird. And PAL version, really? It is 2021.
Still hope that we‘ll see other Nintendo games as HD versions on Switch, even when I‘ve to pay 20 to 30$ for Mario Galaxy 2.
We don’t know the context yet, it’s possible there’s a region/language select for multiple language support

I love Yoshi’s Story and I’m long overdue for an all routes run clear

We don’t know the context yet, it’s possible there’s a region/language select for multiple language support
I hope so. Don‘t like workarounds with accounts from different regions.

I have some nostalgia for Yoshi's Story and might give that a go if I get the thing.

I'm gonna get the thing, aren't I?

I'm a Zelda guy, so will definitely started with Ocarina of Time. It has been sometime since the last time I played it (like 2016), so a replay is in order. Aside of needing to fill that traditional 3D Zelda itch, SSHD has been good for that, but need a tad more.

Afterwards, may go for Mario Kart 64. It and Double Dash are the two Mario Kart games I still have not been able to play. So will go with that, and probably alternate it with Yoshi's Story.

MUSHA for sure. So glad that is one here since it’s not as easy to come by as the other games. Probably will play Yoshi’s Story for my first N64 game since I never gave it a fair shot back in the day (probably will do Sin and Punishment next).

I'm deprived of F-Zero so I don't mind settling for the second best game. Until then I'm eager to try Sin and Punishment because I loved the sequel.

Mostly, games that I have never played or completed. Winback and Sin & Punishment would be the first candidates.

Sin & Punishment of course.
Then Mario Kart 64. Not even a nostalgia game, didn't play it until much later since I didn't grew up with a N64, but I think this game is incredible, never understood why some people say it sucks.

For Mega Drive, MUSHA.

Never got around to play Yoshi's Story, so I'm totally checking it out!

(It's in the first batch, right?)

Not sure if I will upgrade yet, but knowing what we know now.

I never played Paper Mario and I really wanna play that one. Or if there's only co-op on streets of Rage 2 I will find a friend who has it and play that one.

One of those I think.

I wonder if the N64 controller has rumble, or if it has the capability to put in the original rumble pack. That said;

I really wanna play F-Zero but that’s not coming ‘til later. First game will probably be either Yoshi’s Story or Kirby.

I'm getting the expansion pack but likely won't be motivated to play any N64 titles until Pokemon Snap arrives. On genesis I will likely boot up Sonic 2 just to play for a bit.

F-ZERO X. I'm not paying extra until I can play the GOAT.

Okay, I might cave for Star Fox. I'm curious about the multiplayer, having only ever played the 3DS remake alone. Is it a dogfight arena?
I wish F-Zero X was there day one. F-Zero is the very rare blind spot I have in Nintendo franchises, and I really wanna rectify that.

I think I'll be playing Streets of Rage 2 first. SOR4 was excellent and turned me into a fan of the franchise.

Well, if Banjo was there front the start it would have been that. I imagine MK64. I'm somewhat cautiously hopeful for the online aspect - I'm guessing it's not actually a proper lobby they'll have set up for it?

Probably Mario Kart 64 with my friends, I'm kinda tired of playing 8DX tracks over and over again.

Ocarina, for sure. I haven’t played it since 3D came out - which has been far too long for a game I use to replay all the time as a kid! I just finished SS not too long ago as well, so it seems quite fitting.

I wonder if the N64 controller has rumble, or if it has the capability to put in the original rumble pack. That said;

I really wanna play F-Zero but that’s not coming ‘til later. First game will probably be either Yoshi’s Story or Kirby.

I wouldn't expect they'd bother with compatibility with ancient hardware they're not currently selling. I would expect it to be built in. We'll see though.

Wave Race not even being in the "upcoming list" is very puzzling to say the least.
It’s the *one* n64 racing game I was looking forward to. Was probably my fav N64 game back in the day outside of Mario Golf and Golden Eye.

Could be licensing related? Or did they solve that with the VC re-release

It’s the *one* n64 racing game I was looking forward to. Was probably my fav N64 game back in the day outside of Mario Golf and Golden Eye.

They solved it, it was on both VCs. I’m sure it’s coming, just not big enough for the hype race but could come earlier than some of them

Depends on what day it releases. Ocarina of Time or MK64. Genesis most of the games are on the collection so either MUSHA or Streets of Rage 2 for nostalgia.

Do you think this will still have split screen multiplayer even when playing online?

Also where is the snes and nes update? It’s like 2 weeks late

Last edited:
Do you think this will still have split screen multiplayer even when playing online?

Also where is the snes and nes update? It’s like 2 weeks late
Yes, it’s how the games are designed to work, they would have to Recode the entire game.

I’d imagine if we get any they’ll be with the expansion pack next month. May just be on break this month even

Yes, it’s how the games are designed to work, they would have to Recode the entire game.

I’d imagine if we get any they’ll be with the expansion pack next month. May just be on break this month even
Mario rpg is the last snes game I want I keep waiting for it every update

Yoshi’s Story is underrated. Is it anywhere as good as Wooly World or Yoshi’s Island? No. But it’s cute and fun. It’s just a tad short BUT the brevity is offset by the replay value due to the multiple routes to the end you can take.

Wave Race not even being in the "upcoming list" is very puzzling to say the least.
They got rid of the licences for the VC releases.
No reason to worry, it'll definitely be here one day.
Especially since it's Shinya Takahashi's favorite work of his, he's vocal about how much he loves the franchise. Don't worry, other first party games are missing from the upcoming list. They didn't show everything.

I'm still debating whether to get the expansion pack day one or not. The problem is I have already so many other ways to play the Mega Drive games and the most exciting games that are available day one for N64 have been remade or remastered, so I would rather play those better versions. On the other hand, I never played some of the launch games like Sin & Punishment, Dr. Mario 64 and Star Fox 64. Guess I will make my decision after Ninty announced the upgrade fee.

I hope so. Don‘t like workarounds with accounts from different regions.

Just in case you don't know- you can easily change the region of your Nintendo account (as long as you don't have any unused vouchers or funds), download the US app and change it back afterwards. The whole process doesn't take more than a few minutes and there is no additional account needed. :)

Back
Top Bottom