• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Which game do you believe Nintendo's Next Hardware is going to launch alongside?

Which game will, day and date, launch alongside Nintendo's next hardware?

• Total voters
I really don't think we see meaningful new hardware until 2024, so with that in mind, either the next 3D Mario or (as much as it pains me to suggest) Prime 4. Hell, maybe even both make it for the 'launch window'.

I wish I had your confidence. I can’t help but feel like Sony is desperately clutching to mainline FFs these days.

I'm not an insider (in any capacity) but I think you'll be more than pleasantly surprised with what ends up on the new hardware. I've got a pretty good feeling it will be more than most expect. Japan will support it immensely out of the gate.

I have no interest at all in the PS5 and recently sold off my series X because the game selections are just dross. My PS4 more than scratches that itch for alternative gaming. If Nintendo makes this a true generational jump I'm on board day one. They make so much more use of their hardwares power. It's exciting!

Now as my opinion on what game is gonna come with this:
If Zelda was March, I would be totally certain it would be the launch title. But with Zelda being in May(let's not be those weirdos that claimed BotW was done in spring 2016 and delayed just to coincide with Switch, Switch itself got delayed from holiday 2016 to early 2017 and botw only gone gold in February 2017 - TotK isn't done and wouldn't be done this year, nor very early next year, if it did they wouldn't release it in May of all months), I'm inclined to believe it won't be the release title.
Nintendo can be really out of the blue(and they are) and release hardware any month really, but with 3DS, Switch, New 3DS and more coming in February/March, and OLED and Lite coming in October and September, I don't think they'd go out and just release it in May. I mean the most likely game to release your portable only switch would be a Pokémon game but they released it two months after, with 2D Zelda instead. Then the improved scream deluxe model came out with a Metroid(!!!) game.

I will stay with the expectation I was having for this year if Metroid Prime Remastered cake out this holiday: it will be the launch title. Just like Dread was for OLED. You'll get a game that will be eye popping in both machines, a 6th gen game with modern day visuals, they can get out of the blue and add RTX for Drake and have it even at native 4K or something, certainly 4K very sharp with DLSS, and at 60FPS - high effort remasters/remakesters give that advantage of the point of comparison being a game gens ahead, while not being as demanding as an open world game or super advanced physics one. Sony released PS5 "we believe in generations" alongside a remakester of Demon's Souls. They could've delayed TLOU II some months to have that cross gen game that looks absolutely stunning on the new machine but they didn't.

I think the reason we didn't see Metroid Prime Remastered nor any new major game dated for March 2023 is because it's coming in that month and they'll announce it alongside a teaser of MP4(so they can have both on the Drake first look trailer).

May with TotK is the boring answer that makes sense after TP and BotW, but the scenario of launching before TotK is an interesting one. While there's not a lot that can generate interest quite like Zelda, the Switch being incredibly popular means there's a lot more people who'd be willing to play it on last-gen hardware than there were people playing TP on GCN or BotW on Wii U, so it might not be the ace in the hole we'd all expect.

I think the Prime remake or another unannounced game makes more sense here than Pikmin 4. Nintendo wants to sell this to people who own a Switch, and Pikmin 4 would be another cross-gen title like Zelda. If the Prime remake is exclusive, it would be an opportunity for a graphical showcase that gets compared to a GameCube game as opposed to a Switch game, which can help further emphasize the system's capabilities. Metroid is enough of a core title that its sales wouldn't be significantly impacted by a low user base at launch, thus letting Nintendo save the likes of Mario for later in the year, when their hardware is more readily available.
It definitely won't be exclusive tho. The game finished development late 2021 and was being developed since 2017. Also all the insiders that talked about it talked about it being a Switch game.

The game can both be a showcase of the new hardware and come to the current one. I mean most games that "wow" people coming since 2020 for PS5/XBS are also playable on PS4/XBO. And they are showcases of what the new hardware can do.

Metroid Prime Remastered will be a showcase of both current Switch and Drake Switch. It'll definitely look stunning (and so will MP4). Both will have enhancements for the new model, probably like HDR/RTX added, 4K through DLSS, etc. God of War Ragnarok is gonna be the biggest release by Sony this year and it's cross gen.

The best example of this is BotW itself. It was a launch title of Switch, while being a Wii U game, and was definitely a marquee experience to have a modern day game graphically that's open world, giant in scope and playable on a handheld!! Twilight Princess was literally the same thing as Game Cube but had some motion controls on Wii and it did wonderfully as its launch title(not as much as Wii Sports tho).

I don't see the next hardware getting first party exclusives as soon as next year, moreso because we have Nintendo titles packing H1, a presumably further in 2023 game(Pikmin 4) and also Metroid Prime 4 that whenever comes will come to Switch too.

There's the games we know are in development for a looooong time that will probably fall in 2023/2024 too and those are Switch games given the time they started development (talking about the next games by EPD Tokyo and 10). I think TotK, Splatoon 3 and Super Mario 3D Next all started their full development about the same time, which was also later than we all predicted, and they're coming (Splatoon came first, Zelda next, probably 2D Mario, 3D Mario and DK over 2023/2024).

Several Switch first party games started development or left pre production and entered full development/made mass hirings in 2019, COVID happened, so that's why we're seeing then over 2022-2024.

Pikmin 4 is definitely gonna be a graphical showcase for both OG Switch and more so for Drake Switch, 4K textures, ray tracing and all. I just don't think it's coming that early. Generic 2023 + no actual trailer/gameplay gave me some Animal Crossing in 2018 vibes. I'm not saying the game gon be delayed or nothing like that, but sounds like a late summer 2023 at the earliest, like Bayo 3 last year(and that one had gameplay).

I'm not an insider (in any capacity) but I think you'll be more than pleasantly surprised with what ends up on the new hardware. I've got a pretty good feeling it will be more than most expect. Japan will support it immensely out of the gate.

I have no interest at all in the PS5 and recently sold off my series X because the game selections are just dross. My PS4 more than scratches that itch for alternative gaming. If Nintendo makes this a true generational jump I'm on board day one. They make so much more use of their hardwares power. It's exciting!

Japanese support, absolutely. I can see native RE releases, Street Fighter 6, Monster Hunter Rise getting full 4K/DLSS support etc. from Capcom. Square will continue to give plenty of Dragon Quest and AA titles, but Final Fantasy is an entirely different beast that Sony is trying to associate very strongly with their brand.

My only hope is that PS5 is such a stinker in Japan that they aren’t willing to accept Sony’s paycheck for lengthy exclusivity anymore. Honestly for how much I enjoyed FFVIIR, and how long they marketed this title, I don’t think it sold half as good as it should have

Japanese support, absolutely. I can see native RE releases, Street Fighter 6, Monster Hunter Rise getting full 4K/DLSS support etc. from Capcom. Square will continue to give plenty of Dragon Quest and AA titles, but Final Fantasy is an entirely different beast that Sony is trying to associate very strongly with their brand.

My only hope is that PS5 is such a stinker in Japan that they aren’t willing to accept Sony’s paycheck for lengthy exclusivity anymore. Honestly for how much I enjoyed FFVIIR, and how long they marketed this title, I don’t think it sold half as good as it should have
Honestly, I’m pretty sure right now SE is kicking themselves over the decision not to make a PS4 version of FFXVI (a version was in development at one point but was dropped before the game was announced). PS5 sales in Japan are not where they need to be to support a game like FFXVI and I don’t think SE wants their flagship franchise to become irrelevant in their home market. But what can they do?

At least the rumor is only a one year exclusivity deal for FFXVI, as opposed to a two year deal (!!!) for Forspoken.

I think they’ll try and get FFVIIR onto everything as soon as they can. The Crisis Core remake being on other platforms makes me think they do care about building an audience for the series there.

Mario kart 9 in 2024
Booster Course Pass is until late 2023, and it's not like they're holding tracks but it's ongoing development. I don't see any way they can get a new Mario Kart game ready in 2024. Moreso because they can't go with an iterative sequel route as MK8DX already has everything and will end up with 96 courses. If they have been doing another thing since 2017 alongside Tour and later expansion pass, it's probably ARMS 2.

I agree tbh. Capcom has put literally all Resident Evil catalogue on current Switch. I'm fully on board they'll make native ports of the new ones. Also fully on board Switch will get its exclusive Resident Evil, a graphical showcase of Switch(like MH Rise) and also heavily enhanced for Drake. With how well Rise did on only one platform + PC I also fully expect Rise 2/MH portable 6 to be Switch console exclusive and enhanced for Drake for 2024+.

Honestly, I’m pretty sure right now SE is kicking themselves over the decision not to make a PS4 version of FFXVI (a version was in development at one point but was dropped before the game was announced). PS5 sales in Japan are not where they need to be to support a game like FFXVI and I don’t think SE wants their flagship franchise to become irrelevant in their home market. But what can they do?

At least the rumor is only a one year exclusivity deal for FFXVI, as opposed to a two year deal (!!!) for Forspoken.

I think they’ll try and get FFVIIR onto everything as soon as they can. The Crisis Core remake being on other platforms makes me think they do care about building an audience for the series there.
I wouldn't be surprised to have FF VII R as a late port for Switch. It's not open world like XV so I think it's feasible. Also Crisis Core remake looks absolutely stunning on Switch, really FFVIIR level graphics to me, great lighting and particles, and it's coming at 60FPS and presumably 1080p.

Also with the PS5 sales totally tanked in Japan, the amount of love Square Enix has been putting with console exclusives, exclusives and timed exclusives for Switch, and the amount of money Nintendo is whiling to pay to secure big franchises on their console... I'm not getting surprised if Dragon Quest XII ends up as a timed console exclusive for Switch and Drake, or, at the very least, a market agreement of the game being multiplat but only Nintendo marketing it(like Dragon Quest Builders II being published by them in the west I guess?).

It feels like Tears of the Kingdom but if it doesn't come out with that then I don't know. I don't feel Pikmin 4 would be a title that makes the new switch hardware more attractive. Maybe a Mario game?

me when the new switch comes out in march with pikmin 4

ogvhs-i-won.gif

I love the idea that Miyamoto just casually revealed it in an offhand quote and nobody noticed.

Moreso because they can't go with an iterative sequel route as MK8DX already has everything and will end up with 96 courses.

Everything? I will not rest until I get my Block Fort.

If they have been doing another thing since 2017 alongside Tour and later expansion pass, it's probably ARMS 2.

Or, hear me out

n i n t e n d o g s

copium shot in the dark: the Monolith Soft action game is a launch window title for Drake. explains what the staff who weren't on XC3 have been doing and why it hasn't been shown in the five years since the recruitment announcement

copium shot in the dark: the Monolith Soft action game is a launch window title for Drake. explains what the staff who weren't on XC3 have been doing and why it hasn't been shown in the five years since the recruitment announcement
If it's the one that the mysterious recruitment concept art is from, then hell yeah

I don't think it's going to be Prime 4 (which imo is a 2024 game), much less Prime Remake. It goes down to either TotK, Pikmin or a new game, like a 3D Mario or DK. That being said: if this new hardware comes out in March, with a presentation in January, then Pikmin is pretty much the best option. It was already announced and it just needs another trailer with a release date. There isn't enough time for a new game announcement to fill this hardware launch slot, i think

Last edited:
I don't think it's going to be Prime 4 (which imo is a 2024 game), much less Prime Remake. It goes down to either TotK, Pikmin or a new game, like a 3D Mario or DK. That being said: if this new hardware comes out in March, with a presentation in January, then Pikmin is pretty much the best option. It was already announced and it just needs another trailer with a release date.

I really didn’t get “we will be playing this in six months” vibes from that Pikmin teaser. I think it’s further away.

There isn't enough time for a new game announcement to fill this hardware launch slot, i think

Sure there is. 1-2-Switch was announced in January and shipped in March. We’re in September now. Nintendo has announced loads of games fewer than six months before their eventual release, including the games that are coming out in January and February next year.

I really didn’t get “we will be playing this in six months” vibes from that Pikmin teaser. I think it’s further away.

Sure there is. 1-2-Switch was announced in January and shipped in March. We’re in September now. Nintendo has announced loads of games fewer than six months before their eventual release, including the games that are coming out in January and February next year.

You're right about Pikmin (i suppose i was drawing a parallel in my head between Pikmin and Kirby, but in fact the Kirby September trailer had way more content), but i disagree about the new game scenario. 1-2 Switch was a launch game, but the platform-seller was BOTW. If this comes out in March, i don't see such a game getting a 2-3 month announcement-to-release cycle. Then it's probably best to launch it alongside TotK. And this new launch game has to present the capacities of the new hardware.

And this new launch game has to present the capacities of the new hardware.
And 1-2-Switch didn’t? 😝

In this hypothetical scenario where the new Switch is launching in March, it is very easy for me to envision Nintendo announcing a “blue ocean”/wide audience title to launch alongside the new Switch and pairing it with some major core-focused third party titles. I don’t think they necessarily need to launch with, like, a Metroid or a Xenoblade available day one in this scenario. They have Zelda two months later; the Nintendo faithful is going to be on board.

I feel most games on here are too close to release to be an option, so the obvious game is out by default (looking at you Zelda). Also let me be clear, I personally will not be counting a potential PORT of a game that is already released earlier...only games that would release cross gen day and date with their initial release seems like the way to analyze this.

So I am split between two on that list...either a cross gen release of Prime 4, or a new 3D Mario make the most sense to me...I voted 3D Mario because it would be similar to Mario 64 on the N64, and Mario is the more powerful system seller.

I voted new 3D Mario because as much as I’ve said I think Nintendo will launch the next Switch alongside ToTK, I just don’t see new hardware coming next May. So either Zelda gets delayed and launches later with the hardware, or Zelda releases only on Switch, then an update for the new machine which I’m guessing is likely the 1st half of 2024. Next holiday isn’t out of the question I mean hell next May isn’t impossible it just feels really soon with there being 0 official information from Nintendo.

i think the west will pick up the slack for FF. however bombing in your own domestic market will probably hurt some egos...
one game i fully expect is elden ring. the moment it did average nintendo numbers everywhere u know that nintendo showed up at from softwares doorstep with a lot of cash money. they do love bringing successful games to their consoles.

Switch 2 will launch besides shitty- horse game and Animal Crossing: Amiibo festival deluxe. The first year of the console, Nintendo will just release re- re- release ports of Wii- U Games again, but this time with better graphics!!! New Super Mario Bros U Extra Deluxe!!! Why? Just because they can't have to succesful consoles in a row!

NOw seriously, it will be either Zelda tears of the Kingdom or Metroid Prime Series.

one game i fully expect is elden ring. the moment it did average nintendo numbers everywhere u know that nintendo showed up at from softwares doorstep with a lot of cash money. they do love bringing successful games to their consoles.

I want Elden Ring to be to Switch 2 what Skyrim was for Switch. Big RPG showcased on reveal to immediately get the gist of the systems power across - except this time I would expect Elden Ring to be a launch window title.

Everything but not Zelda. So no Spring launch, mark my words.
Lukas.... you love to make absolute statements without much evidence and then tell people that they should remember said absolute statements.

You are the true bearer of the Triforce of Courage and I respect that. I respect that a lot.

Spring release confirmed tho

I want Elden Ring to be to Switch 2 what Skyrim was for Switch. Big RPG showcased on reveal to immediately get the gist of the systems power across - except this time I would expect Elden Ring to be a launch window title.
this game runs like shit on PC's that are magnitudes more powerful then the current Switch. On various settings. I know because it was unplayable on my rig.
I don't even wanna imagine the mess that game would be on a Nintendo console.

Dark Souls 1 Remastered sucks ass on the Switch.

this game runs like shit on PC's that are magnitudes more powerful then the current Switch. On various settings. I know because it was unplayable on my rig.
Don't forget, in order to port it to Switch they'll have to actually, like, optimize it, which in come cases can make the Switch version run surprisingly well (if not better) than other releases. See: Nier Automata running at a higher resolution on Switch than PS4.

Dark Souls 1 Remastered sucks ass on the Switch.
Oh dang, nevermind then 😅

Last edited:
Don't forget, in order to port it to Switch they'll have to actually, like, optimize" it, which in come cases can make the Switch version run surprisingly well (if not better) than other releases. See: Nier Automata running at a *higher resolution on Switch than PS4.

Oh dang, nevermind then 😅
From Software and optimization don't go well together and its telling that they don't get more shit for it.

That said it is not like Dark Souls is unplayable. It just smells like a quick, dirty port because for starters the sound quality is abysmal

Drake will run it better than the PS4/XBO versions. I assume the CPU was a bottleneck for that game on last-gen consoles, Drake's CPU will outclass those. Handheld maybe comparable to Steam Deck before DLSS, but locked 30. If they use DLSS it'll be a treat.

Don't forget, in order to port it to Switch they'll have to actually, like, optimize" it, which in come cases can make the Switch version run surprisingly well (if not better) than other releases. See: Nier Automata running at a *higher resolution on Switch than PS4. 😅
Doubt there will be a Switch port. A Switch 2 port would be smooth sailing in comparison.

I also don't remember Dark Souls remastered being that bad besides the audio.

3D Mario. This is by far the longest the Tokyo team have gone without putting a game out, so I’m certain after 5 years the next project is pretty much done. May seems to early for new hardware as there are basically zero leaks coming out of Publishers. I’m also certain the reason we have not seen the Zelda ports is because there going to be be used to fill the massive Zelda release gaps while Switch 2 is waiting for its own original Zelda game.

Noooooooooo!! I wanted a 3D Mario to be the most popular vote.
Now, I really hope if Switch 2 launches in spring then we get the 3D Mario for the Holidays of that same year.

3D Mario. This is by far the longest the Tokyo team have gone without putting a game out, so I’m certain after 5 years the next project is pretty much done. May seems to early for new hardware as there are basically zero leaks coming out of Publishers. I’m also certain the reason we have not seen the Zelda ports is because there going to be be used to fill the massive Zelda release gaps while Switch 2 is waiting for its own original Zelda game.
Yeah, Mario teams have been really disappointing this gen. We went from 2 new "NSMB games", 2 new "3D Mario", Mario Maker 1, that great Luigi expansion and Treasure Toad to what.... Odyssey, a bunch of ports with 1 little extra and Maker 2. And now it's worse for Mario fans since we lost the cool Mario & Luigi series who used to get 2-3 games per consoles.

Lukas.... you love to make absolute statements without much evidence and then tell people that they should remember said absolute statements.

You are the true bearer of the Triforce of Courage and I respect that. I respect that a lot.

Spring release confirmed tho
It's not over until I win.

My gut feeling, and totally willing to eat crow on this when I'm wrong, is that the new console/revision/whatever will be after Zelda and will launch with a new 3D Mario. Mario's been far too quiet lately.

Back
Top Bottom