• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Which game do you believe Nintendo's Next Hardware is going to launch alongside?

Which game will, day and date, launch alongside Nintendo's next hardware?

• Total voters
Metroid has always had the reputation of a series that sells like four times what it actually sells.
in a way you re absolutely right and in another it feels like the opposite. With how prevalent metroid fans are in the nintendo fandom you'd think the series kept hitting 10 million after 10 million buut

On the other hand people think dread was going to have trouble hitting 1 million and would never reach 3.

in a way you re absolutely right and in another it feels like the opposite. With how prevalent metroid fans are in the nintendo fandom you'd think the series kept hitting 10 million after 10 million buut

On the other hand people think a metroid game may have trouble hitting 1 million. lol so yeah
I think that's the dichotomy between the reputation preceding itself and then the people who are actually aware of the numbers.

Either 3D Mario or Mario Kart at this point (or both within launch window)
And I think it will be the Switch 2, not a pro model

As someone who's on team second half 2023 or 2024, I expect the launch title to be the next 3D Mario and/or Metroid Prime 4.

Normally i'd say that a remaster (remake?) wouldn't be the best showcase title for new hardware, but Sony clearly disagreed with their PS5 launch lineup. Still don't think it'd be Metroid Prime though.

It's probably Return of Yakuman tbh.

okay but 23 people voted for Metroid

I’m people here.

If Nintendo has confidence in Metroid Prime Remake, I really don’t think it’s a poor choice. It’s a game for the core audiences, and it presents an opportunity to revive the IP even further by giving it the spotlight - something Zelda doesn’t need. Also, MP4 must be taking advantage of the new hardware, and I’d not be surprised if MP1 was somewhat representative visually of what we’ll be getting.

I actually think Pikmin 4 would be a good launch title as well but my gut says it’s H2 2023.

TotK (as a cross-platform release) makes so much sense. Just as important will be the software lineup for the first two years. With the Switch, they had BOTW, Odyssey, MK8D, Splatoon 2, and Xenoblade 2 all in the first 9 months. The next year mostly cooled down with only Tropical Freeze, Octopath, and Aces as the marquee games until Smash Ultimate and Let's Go kicked things into high gear.

Those are big shoes to fill especially considering they don't have a ready-made Mario Kart that a lot of Nintendo fans missed.

May with TotK is the boring answer that makes sense after TP and BotW, but the scenario of launching before TotK is an interesting one. While there's not a lot that can generate interest quite like Zelda, the Switch being incredibly popular means there's a lot more people who'd be willing to play it on last-gen hardware than there were people playing TP on GCN or BotW on Wii U, so it might not be the ace in the hole we'd all expect.

I think the Prime remake or another unannounced game makes more sense here than Pikmin 4. Nintendo wants to sell this to people who own a Switch, and Pikmin 4 would be another cross-gen title like Zelda. If the Prime remake is exclusive, it would be an opportunity for a graphical showcase that gets compared to a GameCube game as opposed to a Switch game, which can help further emphasize the system's capabilities. Metroid is enough of a core title that its sales wouldn't be significantly impacted by a low user base at launch, thus letting Nintendo save the likes of Mario for later in the year, when their hardware is more readily available.

Emily said she heard whispers of Nintendo trying to wait out the chip shortage, so I think what happened is they set TotK and Drake to release Holiday this year, but the shortage refused to get better, so back in January they decided on delaying both to 2023. With things still not improving, I imagine they're targeting March just so hardware has a chance to proliferate, so I imagine the big launch title is something they want to reveal alongside Drake and that's why March is seeming barren.
Alllll of this plus the delay of the Mario movie (which was also moved from Holiday this year to Spring next year) makes me think March/April will be Drake + Mario Game + Mario Movie, and then May will be TotK + special Zelda-gold-trimmed Drake.

That's what my brain is telling me. But my heart is telling me Pikmin 4 would be a gorgeous graphical showcase if really fine-tuned for Drake from the get-go, and that real ones™ would buy up Drakes like crazy for it.

TotK is going to sell boatloads regardless.

Although not confirmed at this junction we can largely conclude next Switch is BC. A software sale is a software sale. I think the new Zelda will be more Majoras Mask and less of the BOTW/TP cross gen strategy. Its a direct sequel that is largely reminiscent of its predecessor and serves as the swan song.

The cross gen thing was only done coming off of non-successful consoles to somewhat please the older systems fan base and help bolster the new one. They don't need to do that this time.

I'm looking at Pikmin 4, Prime, and 3rd parties to really show off the creature features of the newer hardware. Resident Evil 4 remake has been confirmed for PS4 as well. I'd expect that one to be a surprise announcement along with dark souls 2/3, Elding Ring, FF7r, CoD, GTA showing up at some point along the way.

I'd expect that one to be a surprise announcement along with dark souls 2/3, Elding Ring, FF7r, CoD, GTA showing up at some point along the way.

I wish I had your confidence. I can’t help but feel like Sony is desperately clutching to mainline FFs these days.

It's too late for a pro imo, this new switch is switch 2. I'd say 2024 alongside new 3D Mario. I want to be as optimistic as Y'all but I already got burned pretty bad by the Oled thing last year.

I am of the belief that Mario Kart is what Nintendo wants to aim to release with a successor system, because history has proven that Mario Kart is instrumental for being a system seller, and by releasing it early, it will bode well for that system's lifespan.

Thank you for reading.

I really don't see anything in Totk that would prevent it from being released on the current switch. I really think what happens is they sell us Zelda totk in may and we hear nothing of the new system.

Then come September, they release Drake with some sort of Mario, Pikmin, and a handful of other Drake enhanced/specific games while also showing a polished version of totk. The TOTK is not bc, but an enhanced "new" version + DLC because Nintendo really just likes selling things twice when they can. They sorta did this with twilight princess and they'll do it again.

I hope I'm wrong and the April ppl are right :(

When was that said?
Aonuma on the next Zelda game

Quote from the article:

"The producer also added Breath of the Wild has yet to fully use every new feature that’s on Nintendo Switch. The next game after Breath of the Wild might pay more attention to that."

EDIT: To be fair he said "might pay more attention to that" so it isn't really that definitive of a statement. Still I think that they will implement a bunch of features they didn't get the opportunity with BotW.

He may also not only talk about "gimmicks" per se but hardware capabilities from a technical/graphical point of view.

Hard to tell without the original Japanese text.

I do appreciate your idea of a a launch tailored to the more "core" base with a, shall we say, secondary launch meant to entice everyone else, though I'm not sure whether Nintendo would entertain that idea and can see why they might not. But it could be a way to try to navigate component supply issues, given the pipeline of titles available for launch supports it.

That said, this does seem to sell Pikmin short, or at least its potential. Anecdotally, I've known people who weren't major gamers but who absolutely played Pikmin, which isn't to take away from the idea; in fact, such a setup could draw the attention of such individuals to the series.

In any case, the obvious answer is clearly Luigi's Mansion, slotting into its role from the GameCube days, in which can be a graphical showcase that appeals to a wide audience even while not casting near so wide a net as some other titles.

This could also be an opportunity to push titles such as Star Fox or F-Zero, which could also showcase the power of the console, but which are also less likely to see such a push. Perhaps F-Zero might have a chance as a racing title if Nintendo isn't set to release a new Mario Kart yet.

If Nintendo really wanted to push their relationship with Platinum and the expectation that those sorts of titles would be found on their hardware, there could be something from one of those teams. It wouldn't be surprising to see another Astral Chain sometime soon, would it?

The difficult part is the sheer number of titles that could be used for such a situation. And that's assuming a lack of something entirely new and unexpected

Further, there's the question of how tied a title would need to be to the hardware in order to count. A great many could theoretically still play on the current Switch, just with enhancements when played on the next.

The best thing about threads like this is that its really fun to come back in the future and look at all the wrong takes and posts because Nintendo will just do what Nintendo does best: the unexpected.

Nintendo Land 2
Nintendo Land really isn't a bad idea to bring back. Add in the original and Game & Wario for those who can connect another Switch to entice the user base to buy into the multi-Switch household concept, and it just gained further use for Nintendo.

Add the Tingle Tuner back into Wind Waker like that, too, while we're at it. It still confounds me that they removed that element when the Wii U was built for it.

On the other hand people think dread was going to have trouble hitting 1 million and would never reach 3.
We're really just incredibly vocal because we know the series should achieve greater. Actually, this sort of scenario isn't foreign to my mind, as I've considered in the past whether positioning Metroid as a launch, or launch window, title might draw attention and boost its prospects.

I still like the idea.

I voted Something Else. It's Eternal Darkness.

WHAT???!!?!?!?
Alex Roivas will be the savior (hehe) of 4K for Nintendo.

But seriously probably Zelda.
What is this apparition I see before me, the spectre of Eternal Darkness, returned once again to haunt my waking dreams? And so cruelly does it tear away its presence. THIS. CAN'T. BE. HAPPENING.

I, very obviously, welcome the idea of a new Eternal Darkness, and it even adds a horror title for the roster, but it seems more likely Nintendo would team up again with Koei Tecmo for another Fatal Frame title. Wallow not, though, in despair, lest the despair overtake you, for that is not dead which can eternal lie.

Here's my stance: I believe the new unit will launch in March 2023 alongside Pikmin 4.
Broke: Launching hardware with system selling software
Woke: Launching software with showcasing hardware

Given that the launch will be supply constrained anyway because that's simply how it goes, legit not a bad idea lol.

I kinda wished that the ToTK would have launched in 2022 so that the "pattern", new console launches with Zelda will be dead on arrival. Still don't think it's with ToTK.
Same. It's happened twice. It's also pretty obvious that Zelda was delayed so that it could actually get done, while the hardware is a giant collection of moving pieces that can't simply be moved on a whim due to the amount of partnerships it involves (with both suppliers and third party developers). If Zelda is ready around the same time the hardware is ready to launch, that's a happy coincidence for Nintendo, not a strategy.
To be honest we were all like "this will launch in 2020 at max".

With that said I still think when it was announced it was scheduled to be a 2021 title, it got pushed into 2022 due to covid and now a classic Zelda delay.
I do wonder how much of the alleged scope creep occurred after that initial reveal. I also believe it was, at the time, intended to be released in 2021 at the latest. COVID must have hit it hard, but there seems to be more to it than that.

I still want Pokémon Z ☹️
I'd love if the return to gen 6 is a little less faithful than BDSP. Who knows though; after Legends Arceus, it seems they're willing to be a little more experimental?

Pikmin 4 launch theory is predicated on the idea that they couldn't show more without showing hardware, but they wanted another first party game in their Direct
I feel like they didn't have to leave it at just "2023" even in that case, even if constraining it to something like the first half of 2023 is a little suspicious this late. But we'll see!

I can't overstate how huge of a misstep I feel it'll be if Nintendo releases Tears of the Kingdom before new hardware is out on the market. I really can't see that happening. It definitely doesn't have to be the launch title, but I would be absolutely SHOCKED if Nintendo relegated TotK to the current Switch.
The game grew out of a DLC idea. It was never beholden to Nintendo's hardware schedule. Sitting on an already delayed Zelda game because new hardware won't be ready for months would be even worse.

It can always be improved by the hardware even if it does launch later. BotW got a loading performance boost patch in 2019. They're not just gonna ignore Zelda if the hardware misses launch.

Alllll of this plus the delay of the Mario movie (which was also moved from Holiday this year to Spring next year) makes me think March/April will be Drake + Mario Game + Mario Movie, and then May will be TotK + special Zelda-gold-trimmed Drake.
Even though Zelda is the safest assumption, I've also thought about this possibility. Wouldn't surprise me if they release it a bit earlier with a new Mario game for maximum synergy with the movie.

I'm so convinced it's not Zelda that I'll avatar-bet on it.
Switch Pro/2 won't be coming before May.
Holiday 2023 or sometime 2024.

Feel like Pikmin 4 is a September kinda release, so that's out.

The Prime remake is, like, not supposed to be that super duper dramatic, right? Like, it's a Xenoblade DE sorta thing? So I doubt it's gonna be that.

That leaves Mario and Prime 4.
Of those, I'm going for Prime 4.
Current Switch owners are already sold: It is a beloved console that is still going strong. Software sales are good. People who own the Switch like the Switch and they don't need to be sold on its successor.
So to grow the ecosystem Nintendo needs to appeal to people who, for some reason, have ignored the Switch until this time.
A concerted push of, "Here's an exclusive scarie game where u shoot things in first person, and also, here's CoD, and also, here's Madden, and also, here's FIFA, and also, here's Final Fantasy 7 Remake, and also, here's Elden Ring, and also, since our devs have had these kits for damn near four fucking years, here's an exclusive and entirely new Resident Evil game, and also, all of this is portable, in your hands, at better performance than a Steam Deck, at a lower price than a Steam Deck, and also, they're all coming in just the first three months of the system, lol fuck you" would be a pretty consistent and effective way of pulling in the holdouts.

If launch is before May:

Metroid Prime Remakester, pushing with some pro patches for evergreens and recent releases like Fire Emblem, Xenoblade 3 and Bayonetta 3

If launch is May or beyond:

Well ... make an educated guess! ;D

I don’t know why anyone would think Pikmin 4 was a March game. If it was it would have gotten a full trailer with a Spring release window, like Kirby did last year. Pikmin is most likely coming out between July and October.

The new 3D Mario is probably already done and waiting to be revealed. I can imagine a scenario where a new Switch is launched with a new Mario alongside the Mario Movie. The most likely scenario is ofcourse Zelda but Nintendo likes to surprise so I'm going for the 3D Mario option.

Why are people suggesting Yakuman?
A simple answer, really. We're looking for a title that will draw in an audience, and the Yakuman revival is the obvious choice.

This is why:
Finally a Ryu ga Gotoku Studio Yakuman revival!
Ryu ga Gotoku Studio has always excelled at mahjong mini-games; it's time they they expanded that to a full retail title. I'm thinking a full story mode, where increasingly absurd circumstances require you to solve problems using mahjong, and some familiar returning voice actors from the Yakuza series...
It's finally time.

The new 3D Mario is probably already done and waiting to be revealed. I can imagine a scenario where a new Switch is launched with a new Mario alongside the Mario Movie. The most likely scenario is ofcourse Zelda but Nintendo likes to surprise so I'm going for the 3D Mario option.

The thing about a Mario game launching alongside the movie is that because the movie was delayed 4 months, the original plan was to release it near Mario & Rabbids. When the movie got delayed, did they just happen to have another game ready? Isn't it more likely they continue to advertise Mario & Rabbids?

If they do have a Mario game for March/April, it's not 3D Mario because there's literally no way they release 3D Mario and 3D Zelda 1 or 2 months apart. Rumors said Mario Odyssey was basically finished by March 2017 and they released in October for the holiday.

Last edited:
After years of enmity between the two franchises, localized entirely inside the minds of forum posters, Metroid Prime Remake and Donkey Kong will join forces to launch alongside the new Switch hardware.

What is this apparition I see before me, the spectre of Eternal Darkness, returned once again to haunt my waking dreams? And so cruelly does it tear away its presence. THIS. CAN'T. BE. HAPPENING.

I, very obviously, welcome the idea of a new Eternal Darkness, and it even adds a horror title for the roster, but it seems more likely Nintendo would team up again with Koei Tecmo for another Fatal Frame title. Wallow not, though, in despair, lest the despair overtake you, for that is not dead which can eternal lie.
Beautiful. I couldn't yeah this harder if I tried. Also, more Fatal Frame? Yes, please!!

The thing about a Mario game launching alongside the movie is that because the movie was delayed 4 months, the original plan was to release it near Mario & Rabbids. When the movie got delayed, did they just happen to have another game ready? Isn't it more likely they continue to advertise Mario & Rabbids?

If they do have a Mario game for March/April, it's not 3D Mario because there's literally no way they release 3D Mario and 3D Zelda 1 or 2 months apart. Rumors said Mario Odyssey was basically finished by March 2017 and they released in October for the holiday.
Okay actually yeah, that's fair.

So then from my initial post, that only leaves Pikmin 4. 🤷‍♂️

They aren't gonna announce a new Mario game and release it less than 2 months later if they were to wait until the February Direct. I do think they'll have something in the gap between RTDL Deluxe and TotK since it's nearly 3 months but it will probably be something like a remaster or casual game that carries a short marketing cycle. (Prime HD and horse stinker your time is now!)

Soonest for a mainline 2D/3D Mario is now holiday 2023 with Zelda covering the first half. If Nintendo targets a holiday 2023 into 2024 launch for the next gen hardware then Mario would be the best fit. But if the next Switch is just a revision then yeah TotK makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
Metroid and Pikmin just aren't as big a deal as something like the upcoming hardware model is.
Metroid Dread wasn't as big of a deal as Mario Party nor Pokémon remakes, and it was OLED's launch title. Link's Awakening wasn't as big of a deal as Pokémon Sword and Shield and it was Lite's.

While Zelda is the best possible launch title judging by BotW 1, it's a May release which is not a very usual month for hardware releases.

Zelda launched - and it was or had to be on par with Wii U version so no use of HD rumble etc.

Odyssey launched - full use of HD rumble, some motion control etc.

You see where am getting at? New hardware will utilize new 3D Mario game at maximum, meaning it will launch alongside it.
I mean Odyssey didn't because it wouldn't be ready for launch. And Nintendo had that thing of not improving the Switch game because of the 13m Wii U sold, I very, very doubt the next 3D Mario wouldn't be cross gen.

Also, Nate says it's gonna be a H1 release and I don't think 3D Mario will be ready by then. And even if it was, they just wouldn't release 3D Mario in March and Zelda in May.

I think it will be a repeat of 2017 and have a 3D Mario as the holiday game, just don't think hardware will come that late. If they were aiming for a non-cross gen heavy transition they would release it in 2024 where games made with it in mind would be possible imo.

Aonuma already said that he wants to fully use the Switch with TotK because they didn't get that opportunity with BotW and I don't think that the Drake will be that different from a mechanical feature point of view. Maybe improved rumble.
I'm of that opinion as well. BotW was held back due to being a Wii U game, BotW 2 is being made with Switch in mind from its inception (like de difference of performance and visual features between it and Odyssey). It will look stellar on OG Switch no matter what. It's one of the games I think the Drake improvements will be resolution and that's it, maybe a performance mode with 60FPS, maybe some RTX(with a primitive form of it on Switch, I find Odyssey's reflections among the best of any non next gen games, better than most of PS4/XBO tbh), so it will look even more awesome (think of the difference between Mario Kart 8 Deluxe that just needed a boost to 1080p and nothing else vs some game that would need far more reworking).

And I think Drake will be a more traditional successor/revision instead of the Nintendo-like one. Not any new gimmick, maybe improvements of the ones already present, but mostly just a super powerful Switch, not something like gamepad vs joy con thing.

Metroid Dread wasn't as big of a deal as Mario Party nor Pokémon remakes, and it was OLED's launch title.
My reasoning is that Lite or OLED isn't nearly as big a deal as Drake, so don't demand paired software that's as big of a deal.

Back
Top Bottom