• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Which game do you believe Nintendo's Next Hardware is going to launch alongside?

Which game will, day and date, launch alongside Nintendo's next hardware?

• Total voters
dealing with pikmin delay talk this soon makes me wish I had been one of those "breath of the wild 2 is going to come out in Q2 2023" people last year
Ha I remember back in 2019 I thought that people were crazy when they predicted 2022 or beyond. What a fool I was.

Ha I remember back in 2017 I though that people were crazy when they predicted 2022 or beyond. What a fool I was.
To be honest we were all like "this will launch in 2020 at max".

With that said I still think when it was announced it was scheduled to be a 2021 title, it got pushed into 2022 due to covid and now a classic Zelda delay.

You know what game would be perfect for showing off the new Switch’s new play features, like potentially cameras and mics?

n i n t e n d o g s + f r i e n d s

To be honest we were all like "this will launch in 2020 at max".
all of us?

i seem to remember somebody saying in early 2020 that they thought it would be a late 2021 title and this person getting laughed out of the park for being needlessly pessimistic 😅

I doubt it's Pikmin 4, or else they probably would've shown more than 10 seconds of in-engine footage with no gameplay if we're presumably six months out from release.

It could certainly be Zelda, but I agree with the other posters saying May is a weird month for a console release. Maybe Prime HD in March with back-compat 4K patches w/ performance boosts for already released titles? I'm really not sure. March is way too early for new 3D Mario too.

me when the new switch comes out in march with pikmin 4

ogvhs-i-won.gif
i want you to change your pfp to a shiba inu for a whole day when that doesnt happens >: )

Next generation? Almost certainly something that we do not know about yet.

I could see an upgraded version of "new hardware" for Zelda, though.

Real, effective marketing these days is social media hype. That's what all companies want to create. You want to create the biggest buzz possible, an organic one.

That means launching the new Switch with a new Zelda and Mario, and if there are massive shortages - great. Only fuels the perception that the product is desirable. Shortages haven't hurt gamers' perception of the PS5 or XS at all - 2 years later and people love both and buy whatever stock is available.

But the one thing you HAVE to make sure of is that the console launches with the momentum of a big, loud splash. Pikmin 4 does not do that. There's a reason why 2017 was so insane for Switch. They'll do the same again.

I also think the new Metroid Prime game would be a great visual showcase for the higher resolutions possible. So that'll be there too.

I doubt it's Pikmin 4, or else they probably would've shown more than 10 seconds of in-engine footage with no gameplay if we're presumably six months out from release.
Pikmin 4 launch theory is predicated on the idea that they couldn't show more without showing hardware, but they wanted another first party game in their Direct

90% it's Zelda but with a very slim possibility of March alongside a 2D Mario.

But I'm pretty sure 3D Mario is dropping holiday 2023, so I think 2D Mario will be a 2024 title. Also I don't think 2D Mario is the best showcase for console whose main draw is 4k.

I really do not think it'll be Pikmin 4.

Tears of the Kingdom feels too early to me. I'd go with 3D Mario.

I really don't think it matters all that much though as long as they maintain a steady lineup of games like they have on the Switch. The launch and following months will sell out regardless of new games as we've seen with consoles like the Series X and PS5.

all this talk of pikmin 4 being the most advanced switch game while retro patenting a tech to download ram making mpR run at 4k 60fps in the original switch

Why though?
No specific or reasonable reason, I guess. In my mind it's just weird that, now that Tears of the Kingdom has a proper release date as well as a title, they would just suddenly, a few months from now, say something like: "By the way, guys, our next console is also coming out on that day".

Nintendo launch titles:

Famicom
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Popeye

Nintendo Entertainment System
10-Yard Fight
Baseball
Clu Clu Land
Duck Hunt
Excitebike
Golf
Gyromite
Hogan's Alley
Ice Climber
Kung Fu
Mach Rider
Pinball
Stack-Up
Super Mario Bros.
Tennis
Wild Gunman
Wrecking Crew

Famicom Disk System
Baseball
Golf
The Legend Of Zelda
Mahjong
Soccer
Super Mario Bros.

Game Boy
Alleyway
Baseball
Super Mario Land
Tennis
Tetris
Yakuman (Japan)

Super Nintendo/Super Famicom
F-Zero
SimCity (US)
Super Mario World

Virtual Boy
Galactic Pinball
Mario's Tennis
Red Alarm
Teleroboxer

Nintendo 64
Pilotwings 64
Super Mario 64

Game Boy Color
Tetris DX
Wario Land II

Nintendo 64DD
Doshin The Giant
Mario Artist: Paint Studio

Game Boy Advance
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Kuru Kuru Kururin (Japan)
Super Mario Advance

Gamecube
Luigi's Mansion
Wave Race: Blue Storm

Nintendo DS
Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt (US)
Polarium (Japan)
Super Mario 64 DS
WarioWare: Touched! (Japan)

Wii
Excite Truck (US)
The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Wii Sports

Nintendo 3DS
Nintendogs + Cats
Pilotwings Resort

Nintendo 3DS XL/LL
Brain Age: Concentration Training (Japan)
New Super Mario Bros. 2

Wii U
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land

Switch
1-2-Switch
The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

Switch Lite
The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Remake)

Switch OLED
Metroid Dread

Last edited:
Metroid Prime 4 and the new Mario Kart. A perfect duo. Metroids not as big as Zelda but will appeal to us in the core crowd. Mario Kart is the system seller and NSO seller. Spring 2024

Zelda's a likely scenario, but it feels boring to answer that.
The Miyamoto quote does make me want to answer Pikmin 4, but unfortunately, as to whether I think that it can be finished in time to launch with Drake, some may find my lack of faith disturbing.
So I voted Metroid Prime remake. But I doubt that it'll be alone! Metroid Prime can flex the visuals. But who's to say it can't be accompanied by showcases for other capabilities?

Along the lines of simulation games, I recently did have the passing thought of stuff like...
Baby Mario raising. Or Koopaling raising.
Or maybe even kingdom management/simulation; be Peach and run Mushroom Kingdom. Or be Bowser and oversee his territory.
Or, a Yoshi's Island based god game.
Hnnngh, must will things into existence.

The OP convinced me that... sometime next year... a new trailer...

A full and beautiful reveal of ...

Pikmin 4

[fades in]

Pikmin 4 K

lol people are setting themselves up for disappointment expecting it to launch with Zelda.

I’m gonna say Mario either end of year 2023 or if it likely launches in 2024 then Prime 4.

lol people are setting themselves up for disappointment expecting it to launch with Zelda.

I’m gonna say Mario either end of year 2023 or if it likely launches in 2024 then Prime 4.
I think the people expecting it to be a 2024 thing have sort of not kept up on the news. Which is fine! But, like…there is a lot of smoke on this fire. It definitely does not feel like a 2024 thing. We know too much about it.

I voted Something Else. It's Eternal Darkness.

WHAT???!!?!?!?
Alex Roivas will be the savior (hehe) of 4K for Nintendo.

But seriously probably Zelda.

To pay tribute to the Game Boy, it'll be 4K Yakuman with the most intricately detailed tiles you've ever seen.

Metroid and Pikmin just aren't as big a deal as something like the upcoming hardware model is. Only a handful of things would be as big a deal as the BOTW sequel, and since none of them are widely expected to be launching early next year, Zelda remains the easy guess.

Just scan your ROB amiibo and fight with his F
Metroid and Pikmin just aren't as big a deal as something like the upcoming hardware model is. Only a handful of things would be as big a deal as the BOTW sequel, and since none of them are widely expected to be launching early next year, Zelda remains the easy guess.

Just scan your ROB amiibo and fight with his FP.
I need to be able to slap the controller out his hands in real life though

Can't be Zelda. Switch 2 isn't launching in 2023. Maybe the Pro can have ToK, if it even exists.

I'll go with 3D Mario. It's been forever since Odyssey and we still haven't heard a peep about a new one.

I think the people expecting it to be a 2024 thing have sort of not kept up on the news. Which is fine! But, like…there is a lot of smoke on this fire. It definitely does not feel like a 2024 thing. We know too much about it.
That’s fine for you and I don’t think it can’t release in 2023 but I’m not putting any personal lock it releasing next year until something solidifies that and while spec information is nice most of the timeline talk is speculation anyways.

I can't overstate how huge of a misstep I feel it'll be if Nintendo releases Tears of the Kingdom before new hardware is out on the market. I really can't see that happening. It definitely doesn't have to be the launch title, but I would be absolutely SHOCKED if Nintendo relegated TotK to the current Switch.

I agree with you. Pikmin 4 is the perfect launch title. It has a more realistic art style, the sort of thing that makes it more apparent how big of a graphic leap things are to the typical consumer, it's long anticipated by the core fans that are more likely to want the iteration day 1, and all the reasons you stated make sense.

That being said... I could just as easily see BotW2 there as well, or honestly nothing at all and just focus on showcasing older games at higher specs for the first while.
It's also not the perfect launch title in that Pikmin is not a killer app, it's one of Nintendo's smaller franchises. Pikmin 4 obviously makes sense as a title to leverage the next hardware's increased power, but as the tentpole launch game, commercially, it'd be a bit ineffectual.

I voted Zelda, but I halfway agree with you in that the console launches in April (going off their no hardware this fiscal year). It launches alongside whatever their April game happens to be regardless if it is a proper showcase or not so hardware launch shortages aren’t attached to Zelda even though ultimately this thing is launching when it does to best show off Zelda.

With how little they showed of it, I think Pikmin is sadly October or November next year. I’d love it sooner though!

In decreasing order of likelihood, it's

TotK
Prime
Pikmin 4
Something else
New Mario
Prime 4
Donkey Kong

It's also not the perfect launch title in that Pikmin is not a killer app, it's one of Nintendo's smaller franchises. Pikmin 4 obviously makes sense as a title to leverage the next hardware's increased power, but as the tentpole launch game, commercially, it'd be a bit ineffectual.
okay but 23 people voted for Metroid

Back
Top Bottom