• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Where's everyone from?

Where are you from?

• North America

Votes: 92 40.9%
  • Central/South America

Votes: 20 8.9%
  • Europe

Votes: 91 40.4%
  • Africa

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Asia

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Oceania

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Antarctica

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
I would definitely move Cubano Spanish to Chaotic Evil lol And I would move Argentino below Chileno. Oddly enough, I could always understand chilenos more than I could argentinos.

Mmm đŸ€” most cubans I’ve met spoke with good diction and spelling, and oddly enough they used a lot of english loan words. We chileans speak like shit, or as we say “como las weas” 😅

Chilean spanish has a problem with overconsolidation of a few words that base most of their meaning on contextual cues and that a lot of foreigners tend to miss initially.

Argentinian spanish is weird in that it’s one of the few voseo dialects instead of a tuteo one, and does have a special hidden ability in the fact that you can turn any food into an insult with the right verbal emphasis:

“Che que te creĂ©s vos, papas fritas”
“Sos más huevón que milanesa sin queso”
“QuĂ© hacĂ©s, banana split”

It just doesn’t work with other dialects đŸ€Ł

Mmm đŸ€” most cubans I’ve met spoke with good diction and spelling, and oddly enough they used a lot of english loan words. We chileans speak like shit, or as we say “como las weas” 😅

Chilean spanish has a problem with overconsolidation of a few words that base most of their meaning on contextual cues and that a lot of foreigners tend to miss initially.

Argentinian spanish is weird in that it’s one of the few voseo dialects instead of a tuteo one, and does have a special hidden ability in the fact that you can turn any food into an insult with the right verbal emphasis:

“Che que te creĂ©s vos, papas fritas”
“Sos más huevón que milanesa sin queso”
“QuĂ© hacĂ©s, banana split”

It just doesn’t work with other dialects đŸ€Ł
Omg that last part is so true!

In Venezuela we use both, tuteo and voseo, depending what part of the country you’re from. I often switch back and forth between the two lol

To me, it’s the accent that throws me a loop with argentinos. When I lived down there it took me for a loop. Now Paraguay is interesting. They use voseo, but they sound out they slur certain letters, and they mix Spanish with Guarani and even some words in German. I was there for three years and sometimes I could not keep up because of the guarani.

Omg that last part is so true!

In Venezuela we use both, tuteo and voseo, depending what part of the country you’re from. I often switch back and forth between the two lol

To me, it’s the accent that throws me a loop with argentinos. When I lived down there it took me for a loop. Now Paraguay is interesting. They use voseo, but they sound out they slur certain letters, and they mix Spanish with Guarani and even some words in German. I was there for three years and sometimes I could not keep up because of the guarani.
¥Pero por qué no me dijiste que eres venezolano marico! Jajajaja
Me ha tocado trabajar con muchos venezolanos, y creo que cerca del 100% de quienes he conocido hablan sĂșper correcto siempre tratĂĄndonos de usted, a diferencia de los chilenos que nos comemos las S al final de las palabras y nuestros saludos bĂĄsicamente son variantes del weĂĄ o weĂłn.

Me habĂ­an contado que hay variantes dentro de Venezuela, si no me equivoco dependen de si vienen del norte o sur del paĂ­s pero podrĂ­a estar recordando mal.
En el caso de Chile tambiĂ©n hay diferencias entre norte, centro y sur (entendiendo que en Chile no existe el concepto de Este/Oeste por razones obvias 😂) pero son principalmente en el acento o entonaciĂłn, no tanto en las palabras ya que la mayorĂ­a del chileno tiene asimiladas palabras del mapudungĂșn y otras lenguas indĂ­genas, el ejemplo mĂĄs comĂșn es guagua en vez de bebĂ© (incluso decir bebĂ© se considera siĂștico). Y bueno ya los flaites son otra weĂĄ, ojalĂĄ nunca tengas que hablar con uno đŸ€Ł

edit: inb4 english pls

I'm from Vietnam, but living in Germany atm during my study. Seeing how few Asians reside in this thread is a bit disappointing tho. Hopefully this will change as the board grows :D

¥Pero por qué no me dijiste que eres venezolano marico! Jajajaja
Me ha tocado trabajar con muchos venezolanos, y creo que cerca del 100% de quienes he conocido hablan sĂșper correcto siempre tratĂĄndonos de usted, a diferencia de los chilenos que nos comemos las S al final de las palabras y nuestros saludos bĂĄsicamente son variantes del weĂĄ o weĂłn.

Me habĂ­an contado que hay variantes dentro de Venezuela, si no me equivoco dependen de si vienen del norte o sur del paĂ­s pero podrĂ­a estar recordando mal.
En el caso de Chile tambiĂ©n hay diferencias entre norte, centro y sur (entendiendo que en Chile no existe el concepto de Este/Oeste por razones obvias 😂) pero son principalmente en el acento o entonaciĂłn, no tanto en las palabras ya que la mayorĂ­a del chileno tiene asimiladas palabras del mapudungĂșn y otras lenguas indĂ­genas, el ejemplo mĂĄs comĂșn es guagua en vez de bebĂ© (incluso decir bebĂ© se considera siĂștico). Y bueno ya los flaites son otra weĂĄ, ojalĂĄ nunca tengas que hablar con uno đŸ€Ł

edit: inb4 english pls
Jajaja si de Caracas, pero he vivido por todo Sur America. Menos Chile, adonde to siempre quise ir cuando estaba viviendo en el mercosur. Pero si, el venezolano todo depende. Estas en la bachi or negocio, todo sĂșper correcto. Estas con panas o familia y tomando - cuatro palabras en castellano y 100 de jergon jaja

Vos estas en Chile?

Sorry everybody! Haven’t spoken much Spanish since being in the U.S! I’ll stop now lol

Greetings from the place that just passed a measure selling the country to vulture funds and that is USA's favorite colony in the Caribbean, Puerto Rico.

Why is Central and South lumped in? Lol So very different!
Mainly because every time I see a poll like this, Central America is lumped in with North America. I didn't want my ticos/majes/boricuas/etc. to get lost among all the North Americans. :D

Southern part of the Netherlands, just a few km from Germany (NRW). We are known for this delicious kind of pie (and also a lot of extreme ring-wing voters:cautious:)
RijstevlaaiDeluxe_1.png

Germany, as well.
I am also quite surprised at Europe being toe to toe with the US.

Not to mention this here continent isn't even Nintendo's biggest market (not that they're doing bad, but Sony definitely has the strongest foothold here... though I guess when it comes to brand recognition in general populace over sales, Nintendo still takes the cake).

Born in Wales, then spent most of my childhood travelling around Europe and living in a hippie commune in the mountains of Northern Spain, then back to Wales as a teenager. Lived in England (Midlands) for the last 15 years or so now with my wife. This country is an increasingly depressing place though, and we'd love to move to New Zealand if we ever get the chance.

Are you asking where I'm from or where I live? Is "where I'm from" where I was born or where I grew up? I could potentially give three answers

Are you asking where I'm from or where I live? Is "where I'm from" where I was born or where I grew up? I could potentially give three answers
All three if you want. Like me. Born in Venezuela, parents divorced when I was 3, so I would go back and forth between the U.S. (mom moved here for graduate school) and South America where my father was. My father was a diplomat so I grew up all over South America. Now I am here because Chavez ruined my country. I do miss South American cuisine THAT IS NOT a Brazilian all you can eat BBQ, as good as they are.

All three if you want. Like me. Born in Venezuela, parents divorced when I was 3, so I would go back and forth between the U.S. (mom moved here for graduate school) and South America where my father was. My father was a diplomat so I grew up all over South America. Now I am here because Chavez ruined my country. I do miss South American cuisine THAT IS NOT a Brazilian all you can eat BBQ, as good as they are.
Very hard to answer a single-answer poll question with three answers 😛

I was born in the UK, moved to Australia when I was six months old, then moved to the US six years ago. Have been here since.

Almost tied between EU and NA, very interesting! I would have expected more NA.

xoxo,
~muffin

Ohio, USA.

thankfully my gay ass doesn’t live in my small hometown anymore, though.

I spent a summer in Toledo with my aunt and uncle a couple of times when I was a wee one. I have fond memories because I remember my uncle having an NES and it was the first time I played one and he had that gold Legend of Zelda cartridge which started my life long love affair with the series :D

Oh, and Cincinnati Chili which I make from scratch twice a month because my wife loves it (as do I).

I consider myself European. Lived in various countries ranging from the Spain, US, UK, Denmark, Sweden and currently stuck in the Netherlands.

Very hard to answer a single-answer poll question with three answers 😛

I was born in the UK, moved to Australia when I was six months old, then moved to the US six years ago. Have been here since.
So you're the Bee Gees?

It's a toss-up between Oz and the US then. Whichever you feel like you're currently repping, I guess?
(Or if you feel sorry for Oceania only having 3 reps so far :D)

From the country that is placed right in the middle of europe but isn’t part of the EU and where everyone is rich (even though I‘m a student with no money), eats cheese (I hate cheese) and yodels in the alps (It sounds like old men crying)

Jajaja si de Caracas, pero he vivido por todo Sur America. Menos Chile, adonde to siempre quise ir cuando estaba viviendo en el mercosur. Pero si, el venezolano todo depende. Estas en la bachi or negocio, todo sĂșper correcto. Estas con panas o familia y tomando - cuatro palabras en castellano y 100 de jergon jaja

Vos estas en Chile?

Sorry everybody! Haven’t spoken much Spanish since being in the U.S! I’ll stop now lol

Te perdiste vivir en la joya del pacífico entonces! Efectivamente vivo en Chile ahora, no me ha tocado vivir en otros países pero si me ha tocado cambiar de ciudad bastante dentro del país. He vivido en Santiago, San Fernando (centro sur del país), Viña del Mar (balneario del litoral central), y actualmente en La Cruz que queda hacia el interior de Viña del Mar y es uno de los lugares donde mås se produce palta (o aguacate como lo llaman en los países bårbaros jajaja)

From the country that is placed right in the middle of europe but isn’t part of the EU and where everyone is rich (even though I‘m a student with no money), eats cheese (I hate cheese) and yodels in the alps (It sounds like old men crying)

So, Vatican City? đŸ€”

I'm Tunisian (North Africa, close to Italy and France).
Born in Bruxelles (Belgium).
I lived all my chilhood in Paris (France) then moved (for the first time) to Tunis (Tunisia).
Then lived for a while in Montreal (Canada) then Paris again.
Now I'm back in Tunisia !

Hello from a usually dreary, but today quite sunny, England!

So good to see people from all over the world!

Te perdiste vivir en la joya del pacífico entonces! Efectivamente vivo en Chile ahora, no me ha tocado vivir en otros países pero si me ha tocado cambiar de ciudad bastante dentro del país. He vivido en Santiago, San Fernando (centro sur del país), Viña del Mar (balneario del litoral central), y actualmente en La Cruz que queda hacia el interior de Viña del Mar y es uno de los lugares donde mås se produce palta (o aguacate como lo llaman en los países bårbaros jajaja)

So, Vatican City? đŸ€”
Switzerland

A micronation that reportedly just shocked a lot of Channel 5 viewers in the UK with our otherwise lovely phallological museum across the street from me.
With the quality of the programmes generally on Channel 5, I wouldn’t worry about too many people watching it

Is it Iceland? I would love to visit Iceland one day!

With the quality of the programmes generally on Channel 5, I wouldn’t worry about too many people watching it

Is it Iceland? I would love to visit Iceland one day!
It is indeed!

And hopefully you can, but just remember to pack warm and wind-resistant clothes.

From Britanny in north-western France, know for our excessive use of butter, crepes, cider and rain. But currently doing an internship in the German speaking part of Switzerland, which I do not speak a word of.

Is it true that the Swiss are the only people in Europe more anal than the Germans?

A micronation that reportedly just shocked a lot of Channel 5 viewers in the UK with our otherwise lovely phallological museum across the street from me.
For some reason, most Japanese people don't know that Ireland and Iceland are different countries. I had to explain this so many times to people.

They all know who Enya is though, oddly enough.

Hey another Swiss student here! Can confirm students are still as broke even here.

Spanish living in Paris over here.

I also want to use my first post in the forum to say hello and thank you guys for opening up registrations without paid email. I’ve lurkered all Nintendo threads in resetera since 2018 and I had always wanted to join the conversation. Im so happy I can now! I’m dying to play Shin Megami Tensei V and also PokĂ©mon Legends: Arceus.

Another Irishman here. Very surprised that Europe is winning the poll! Perhaps some of us euros were more sensitive to the moderation at the old place?

Currently live in North America. Love the sunshine but my skin can't take it. Miss the rain.

I'm from the shithole that is England in the UK. I can't even say I'm European any more :(

You maybe can't say you're European anymore, but you can proudly say you're a Famiboarder !
PS : and a Founder at that !!
NB : thanks to you and all the lovely people behind this tremendous achievement 😊

I though the US would definitely overtake Europe last night but nope. Curious who voted Antarctica though. Probably jokes, but if not that would be pretty cool.

That museum is fun! Your city was the last holiday I went on before Covid hit and I adored it, you're very lucky. Will soon be time to get out my Skyr Gobbler ornament, my enduring souvenir and yule lad of choice.

Is it true that the Swiss are the only people in Europe more anal than the Germans?
The stereotype says that people get mad in germany, when you are only like 5 minutes late. In Switzerland on the other hand they will call you and ask you where you are when you have not arrived 5mins BEFORE the agreed meeting time.

I am Mexican, so North America. Yes, remember, Mexico is North America. I don't know why some people think we are Central America, maybe they didn't pay attention in geography class? Anyhow, I hope there are more Mexicans here. Saludos a todos los mexicanos y otros latinoamericanos!

Lived my entire life within England, UK. Most of it in Sheffield, four years of Uni in London, and a couple years in three other towns with ~100,000 people including right now in Chesterfield.

Honestly feel trapped and have done since early teenage years. Want to live somewhere else someday, honestly dislike England though I love Sheffield (and some parts of London).
In an ideal world, where else would you like to live? 😊

Back
Top Bottom