• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What's your favorite movie

Fitting username, in that case!

Hmm. It's a good question. I've always been partial toward The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, and John Carpenter's The Thing. Both exceptional at what they set out to do, I think.

Fitting username, in that case!

Hmm. It's a good question. I've always been partial toward The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, and John Carpenter's The Thing. Both exceptional at what they set out to do, I think.
The Thing rules so hard, very respectable choice. I've somehow never seen Good Bad Ugly.

The Thing rules so hard, very respectable choice. I've somehow never seen Good Bad Ugly.
Yep, The Thing is just amazing. Every scene is pure banger after banger. I didn't actually watch it until 2016, but it left a tremendous impression on me. The film is obviously fairly old now, having released in 1982, but the fact is, its brand of paranoia and dread, along with those viscerally shocking practical effects, still put a huge pit in my stomach. A master class on how to make a horror movie that not only looks scary, but provides a persistent feeling of discomfort, for the duration of its runtime. The classic story of how it was received poorly, back in the day, and seen by critics as just a shitty movie, will always be amusing to me. Some things really fare so much better, upon reappraisal. Those folks didn't know what they had.

As for The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: it's a classic, really. It's adventurous, comedic, and somber, at points, and everything comes together in a highly entertaining way. It does well to justify its nearly three hour runtime, and it's easily in the conversation for greatest Western ever made. I highly recommend pretty much everyone check it out.

Outside of those, there are just too many great movies out there. No Country for Old Men is a super common pick, but one I also love. Top tier atmosphere and suspense. Coen brothers make good stuff.

Yep, The Thing is just amazing. Every scene is pure banger after banger. I didn't actually watch it until 2016, but it left a tremendous impression on me. The film is obviously fairly old now, having released in 1982, but the fact is, its brand of paranoia and dread, along with those viscerally shocking practical effects, still put a huge pit in my stomach. A master class on how to make a horror movie that not only looks scary, but provides a persistent feeling of discomfort, for the duration of its runtime. The classic story of how it was received poorly, back in the day, and seen by critics as just a shitty movie, will always be amusing to me. Some things really fare so much better, upon reappraisal. Those folks didn't know what they had.

As for The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: it's a classic, really. It's adventurous, comedic, and somber, at points, and everything comes together in a highly entertaining way. It does well to justify its nearly three hour runtime, and it's easily in the conversation for greatest Western ever made. I highly recommend pretty much everyone check it out.

Outside of those, there are just too many great movies out there. No Country for Old Men is a super common pick, but one I also love. Top tier atmosphere and suspense. Coen brothers make good stuff.
The Thing might be my favorite Carpenter, but that guy had an insane batting average. Halloween, Escape from New York, The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, Christine, Prince of Darkness, In the Mouth of Madness. Just banger after banger.

Shawshank Redemption and I saw that movie for the first time in 2018.

Grand Budapest Hotel is really close tho. Diving deep into this detailed, fictional world was so absorbing and entertaining.

Also love the OST:

For a long time I would’ve said Reservoir Dogs for just how raw Tarantino it is. It’s violent, it’s over the top, and it has so many touches of largely being the the vision of a singular person. I love all his movies tbh, even really appreciated Death Proof a ton more on a recent rewatch.

However I recently watched Police Story and good god was that an incredible feat of stunt work. Every beat of every fight scene is so meticulously planned and the raw human fitness on display to pull it all off is staggering. It’s definitely become my favorite movie and I’ve already rewatched it a few times this year.

For a long time I would’ve said Reservoir Dogs for just how raw Tarantino it is. It’s violent, it’s over the top, and it has so many touches of largely being the the vision of a singular person. I love all his movies tbh, even really appreciated Death Proof a ton more on a recent rewatch.

However I recently watched Police Story and good god was that an incredible feat of stunt work. Every beat of every fight scene is so meticulously planned and the raw human fitness on display to pull it all off is staggering. It’s definitely become my favorite movie and I’ve already rewatched it a few times this year.
9Df.gif

The Thing, Shawshank, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, LOTR are all up there for me. Whiplash, Rear Window, Inglourious Basterds, Goodfellas, and Before Sunrise, too. Such a hard decision

I really should watch more Ghibli movies, since I've only seen one, and that became my favorite movie ever - Princess Mononoke.
They have made a lot of fantastic movies! I love Princess Mononoke too, but I also really like Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro, and Kiki's Delivery Service.

Totally subjectively, some of the films I put on when I just want to feel cosy are Lost in Translation, Indy and the Last Crusade, Tokyo Story, Kill Bil Vol 1, The Big Lebowski, and The Jungle Book.

I've seen a lot of classic movies that I really appreciated and enjoyed, but for me choosing a favourite is always partly about where I was when I first saw it, and the effect it had on me.

Totally subjectively, some of the films I put on when I just want to feel cosy are Lost in Translation, Indy and the Last Crusade, Tokyo Story, Kill Bil Vol 1, The Big Lebowski, and The Jungle Book.

I've seen a lot of classic movies that I really appreciated and enjoyed, but for me choosing a favourite is always partly about where I was when I first saw it, and the effect it had on me.
Tokyo Story is probably the most emotionaly devastating movie I've ever seen.

I really should watch more Ghibli movies, since I've only seen one, and that became my favorite movie ever - Princess Mononoke.
Honestly Mononoke might be my favorite Ghibli movie, only potentially swapping places with Kiki’s Delivery Service. It’s far less ‘wonder of childhood’ that is a common through line of their other films which helps it standout (at least among their big big hits)

The Princess Bride
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Se7en

Are probably my top 3

Heat and Alien will always have a special place in my heart. I wouldn't say they're the greatest movies I've ever seen but definitely the first two that made me appreciate the medium beyond mere entertainment.

DUE_GIF.webp

alien%2B8.gif

Heat and Alien will always have a special place in my heart. I wouldn't say they're the greatest movies I've ever seen but definitely the first two that made me appreciate the medium beyond mere entertainment.

DUE_GIF.webp

alien%2B8.gif
I watched Alien for the first time ever last week

an incredible film that feels especially relevant as Bezos and Musk try to shit up space

If you're asking me what movies I quote the most, it would be Step Brothers or Mean Girls.

If you asked me what my favorite stupid movie is, it would probably be like Shoot Em Up or Anchorman.

But if we're talking just really well-made movies that I can watch again and again, it would be a tie between Leon The Professional, Pan's Labyrinth, or Spirited Away.

The Matrix is what I usually answer nowadays, but there are probably 3-5 films I could mention depending on my mood.

I think Blade Runner. But also Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift.

DUE_GIF.webp

alien%2B8.gif
Bro Heat is so god damn good

I have several favourites, changing with genre and the mood that I'm in. These can't be beat by combination of cinematography, acting, atmosphere and soundtrack. They are what I consider perfect movies:

• Alien
  • Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
  • John Woo's The Killer
  • Shogun Assassin
  • The Godfather
  • Live at Monterey (especially the set Otis Redding did there)
  • Grave of the Fireflies
  • La Vie en Rose
  • Lola Rennt

hm

probably pulse, in the mood for love, or tetsuo the iron man

it might be robocop, though

Movies with out of this world cinematography, Neo-Noir, that happen to be set in the 2040 decade are my cup of tea.

MV5-BM2-Nl-Yj-Y5-N2-Qt-ZWIx-NS00-MWY3-LTk5-YTEt-YWZk-ZTc3-NTEx-Zj-I3-Xk-Ey-Xk-Fqc-Gde-QXVy-Mj-Uz-OTY.jpg
2210060.jpg

Last edited:
Rocky (the first one) and The Blues Brothers. Probably also Lord of the Rings if I’m being honest.

I'm bad at picking favourites and have seen what feels like 5 movies in my life (planning to change that) but I will say Drunken Master for now.
Edit: Since it's been mentioned already I also love Ghibli. Kiki and Spirited Away are probably my two favourites but I also love Whisper of the Heart.

Good taste.
I also like Stalker, but that's an obvious one (and a bit of an overstated and overrated one).

Really, there are a lot of great Soviet films besides the ones you typically see on watch lists or articles that talk about the "usual suspects" when it comes to Soviet filmography.

I also loved Come and See, though I would never watch it again, certainly not casually.

I don‘t think I‘ve a favorite movie in that sense.

I really like animation films and I can always watch Into the Spiderverse and How to train your dragon.

A film I also really like is Back to the Future lol.

And even though it is recent, Everything Everywhere all at Once is very high on my list too.
Grand Budapest Hotel is really close tho. Diving deep into this detailed, fictional world was so absorbing and entertaining.

Also love the OST:

Budapest Hotel is a very austrian answer :p (Hope you‘ll come back someday to this forum, to appreciate my well thought out joke)
I like that movie too because it reminds me of the stories of my grandma working in restaurants/hotels in the alps at that time.

I'm bad at picking favourites and have seen what feels like 5 movies in my life (planning to change that) but I will say Drunken Master for now.
Edit: Since it's been mentioned already I also love Ghibli. Kiki and Spirited Away are probably my two favourites but I also love Whisper of the Heart.
This was recommended to me by some Chinese friends from the Mainland on Discord (using VPN and all that).

Who knows. You might like it. I certainly really enjoyed it.

Wolfwalkers.png

I highly recommend Wolfwalkers. It might look dorky but this movie completely caught me off guard. I can't remember the last time I've been so on the edge of my seat watching something, I was completely enthralled. I honestly think its a masterpiece and I don't use the term lightly! 😊

Wolfwalkers.png

I highly recommend Wolfwalkers. It might look dorky but this movie completely caught me off guard. I can't remember the last time I've been so on the edge of my seat watching something, I was completely enthralled. I honestly think its a masterpiece and I don't use the term lightly! 😊
Okay, you got me interested.

One of my favourites is this Australian movie called Malcolm. It's regarded as a cult classic here.

I've also watched Terminator 2 more times than I can count.

Police Story is a good shout also.

One of my favourites is this Australian movie called Malcolm. It's regarded as a cult classic here.

I've also watched Terminator 2 more times than I can count.

Police Story is a good shout also.
Malcolm?

Don't know much about Australian cinema.

Vertigo.

The use of color in that film to frame the narrative has yet to be topped.

And at its core is a fantastic piece of work. Perfect movie.

Follow up movies:

Blade Runner

Sweet Smell of Success

(I like noir)

Back
Top Bottom