• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What's up with the sudden conversation around "Quick Balls"?

wolftendo

Shiny hunter wolf
Pronouns
He/Him
Ever since the beggining of this week, I've seen tons of tweets about quick balls, usually about people complaining about those who hated those balls (?) or just people memeing about it.

What happened? I love using them all the time to catch new pokemon or even to catch shinies.

Examples:

Even Joe Merrick talked about the issue:

Bonus tweet from the official account of Pokemon TCG:

It's because shiny hunting is the easiest it's ever been with SV and pokemons' catch rate at higher levels is really low, making quick balls often the most efficient ones.

BUT

Some people, I am one of them, catch pokemon by matching the colour of the ball, so the thought of a pink fluffy shiny in a quick ball is painful.

Some shiny Pokemon hunting YouTuber put out a tier list on Twitter based on their aesthetic preferences.

Insert mass engagement and "controversy" here, because Twitter gonna Twitter.

Me trying to think of an innuendo with "quick balls"

brain-blast-jimmy-neutron.gif

Some shiny Pokemon hunting YouTuber put out a tier list on Twitter based on their aesthetic preferences.

Insert mass engagement and "controversy" here, because Twitter gonna Twitter.

Ayo this SLANDER against Dusk Balls in C tier???

Fuck outta here, this whole list is trash and needs to be rebooted

(I also strive to catch all pink Pokemon in Heal Balls and it's my personal hell, but dammit all I do appreciate the synergy even if you only see it when you stop by a PokeCenter)

It's about aesthetics, ball fashion is a big thing, which is why apricorn balls are prized.

Quick Balls do have a unique, interesting look, but similar to Ultra Balls and Dusk Balls, when everything is in a Quick Ball it becomes less exciting.

Social media poisons the brain and part of the curse is that it compels people to argue about imaginary points

The whole point of shiny hunting is prioritizing aesthetics over practicality. Picking specific Poké Balls that make the capture more difficult so your albino monster will appear with a different particle effect is a natural extension of the underlying philosophy.

I kinda feel like Quick Balls are dumb in that they make it very easy to catch Pokémon without having to engage in the typical risk/reward structure from whittling down Pokémons' health, but I'm not a shiny hunter so I don't really care what they wanna do

Quick Ball catching rates are obscene and I love them. I never saw a single shiny in 80+ hours of play so whatever there.

It's because shiny hunting is the easiest it's ever been with SV and pokemons' catch rate at higher levels is really low, making quick balls often the most efficient ones.

BUT

Some people, I am one of them, catch pokemon by matching the colour of the ball, so the thought of a pink fluffy shiny in a quick ball is painful.

given you can save and even run from a shiny pokemon and it'll still be there, on top of back attacks, i don't think i've had much trouble catching with other balls.

i'm pretty sure back attacks double the final catch rate, since the calculation is very late.

The whole point of shiny hunting is prioritizing aesthetics over practicality. Picking specific Poké Balls that make the capture more difficult so your albino monster will appear with a different particle effect is a natural extension of the underlying philosophy.

I kinda feel like Quick Balls are dumb in that they make it very easy to catch Pokémon without having to engage in the typical risk/reward structure from whittling down Pokémons' health, but I'm not a shiny hunter so I don't really care what they wanna do

by the time you have quick balls you're usually way past the point where getting a Pokemons HP down and such is a big deal. it also means you don't have to lean on a false swipe/status user as much, plus actually hard to catch stuff you aren't going to get as easy in a quick ball. you can catch a lot of Pokemon through the game at full HP with the other balls, too.

back attacks honestly are a bigger deal. a back attack ultra ball is almost as strong as a non back attack quick ball on turn 1.

Last edited:
This reminds me that I want a way to freely pick the aesthetics and the functions of the Pokeball individually. Let me catch things with a Quick Ball then change its look afterward. I know that sounds like sacrilege, but the counterpoint is that Pokemon fans aren't sane people and thus their opinions always need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I like to put things in colour-matching balls or, if I like them, a premier ball. But I have a shiny Growlithe in Scarlet who's in a quick ball because I panicked. I don't really care, though I do think it's kind of garish (luckily I think repeat and timer balls are quite chic in their own ways). I do wish it was easier to get the apricorn balls though, some of them are super cute!

This reminds me that I want a way to freely pick the aesthetics and the functions of the Pokeball individually. Let me catch things with a Quick Ball then change its look afterward. I know that sounds like sacrilege, but the counterpoint is that Pokemon fans aren't sane people and thus their opinions always need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I want this too. It doesn't make sense that a Pokemon you've trained and which likes you wouldn't be okay with you moving them. Add a fun Pokefashion obsessed NPC who does this for you in exchange for an item or something. It would get massive backlash from some corners though, the same way 'easy' shiny hunting has, because they don't like the idea that their skill and time investment could be rendered unnecessary for an optional part of the games.

I didn’t realize so many people considered the Quick Ball ugly. I love that thing, blue is my favorite color and blue + yellow is a great combination!

Quick, Fast, Dusk are my favorites. Lure Ball for top four I guess.

I have only played two Pokemon games (blue and x) and I had no idea there were so many opinions about balls.

I caught my first ever shiny thanks to a Quick Ball. Helps that it was an Abra, so the color still kindaaaa matches. Haters can teleport the fuck outta my sight.

Back
Top Bottom