• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What will be the next Pokémon game?

It's probably there, but so subtle that no one will recognize it until the games get announced, just like the SWSH example
Till then, it'll sit there in plain sight, taunting all who seek it right our their noses
well this picture was from over 2 years ago, so it's not impossible for someone to make crazy mental gymnastics and turn out to be right

Hard to say what it will be in 2024. I’m hoping a sequel to Legends. Maybe set it in Johto, Alola, or Hoenn. In terms of locale they’ve yet to do more warm, tropical environments on the Switch. Going by their pattern, I don’t think Gen 5 remakes will happen until after Gen 10.

I’d like to see Gen 10 pushed to 2026, instead of 2025 as usual, to match with the series 30th. Base the region off of the remaining Japanese region. They could do something a bit different and have the gen last longer with consistent updates. Seasons could return with areas changing based on the season and different Pokémon coming and going, including new ones. DLC expansion passes every 9 months slowly introducing the other neighboring regions of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh. New Pokémon, evolutions, and forms introduced in these DLC passes as well as physical releases. By the end of Gen 10 the entire area of PokeJapan is playable. It could look something like this:

February 2026- Gen X releases
November 2026- Kanto expansion releases
August 2027- Johto expansion releases
May 2028- Hoenn expansion releases
February 2029-Sinnoh expansion releases

Honestly I was expecting the 2024 title to be the repackagaing of Gen9, but now that's happening this year, so I don't know what's going on.

Honestly? I hope they let it rest in 2024, maybe a next gen patch, but then 2025...

Here's what I HOPE happens:

There is no Black and White/2 remake. They get released onto Nintendo DS NSO. Leave Black and White/2 ALONE, just let us play it, and whatever they do I hope no-one lets them do what they did to Diamond and Pearl, or god forbid what happened to Pokémon Yellow with Let's Go.

2025 has Black and White land on NSO + Expansion Pack Nintendo DS, and a Legends game based in the 1600s. The problem I think, from a story and development perspective, is that they'll have to deal with the fact that's going to be representing colonisation by Europeans in some way...

On a selfish note, seeing a Pokémon interpretation of Wickquasgeck trail would be extremely fascinating to me, doubly so that it would presumably be a stand-in or make reference to Entralink, due to the relative newness of its real life counterpart.

Let’s Go Johto would be cool, but I hope it’s Pokémon Legends Mew. I would looooooove to explore an ancient Kanto around the time of Mew’s origin. Something focused on the OG 150 and their evolutions and baby forms.

Or I guess Pokémon Legends Kyurem or Gen 5. Just keep the Legends style going.
Man, I already knew that what I wanted next was a Legends game. I didn't know is that I wanted a mew one, but after reading this, yeah, it'd be a such a great game!

Honestly I was expecting the 2024 title to be the repackagaing of Gen9, but now that's happening this year, so I don't know what's going on.

Honestly? I hope they let it rest in 2024, maybe a next gen patch, but then 2025...

Here's what I HOPE happens:

There is no Black and White/2 remake. They get released onto Nintendo DS NSO. Leave Black and White/2 ALONE, just let us play it, and whatever they do I hope no-one lets them do what they did to Diamond and Pearl, or god forbid what happened to Pokémon Yellow with Let's Go.

2025 has Black and White land on NSO + Expansion Pack Nintendo DS, and a Legends game based in the 1600s. The problem I think, from a story and development perspective, is that they'll have to deal with the fact that's going to be representing colonisation by Europeans in some way...

On a selfish note, seeing a Pokémon interpretation of Wickquasgeck trail would be extremely fascinating to me, doubly so that it would presumably be a stand-in or make reference to Entralink, due to the relative newness of its real life counterpart.
I'd love to see BW & B2W2 added to NSO ASAP, but I think 2025 is too soon for them, let alone DS games in general. I can actually see GCN games starting in 2025 and then DS maybe in 2027. They've dragged out N64 for over 2 years, so they could definitely drag out GCN & DS games.

Also, I don't see main series Pokemon games being added to NSO actually. I feel like they will be separate releases on the eShop (for both Switch 1 & Switch 2). I also don't see it starting until the 30th anniversary. Realistically, they will probably start with Gen 1. Hopefully all of Gen 2 after that and then they could drip feed Gen 3 (RS then FRLG then E). Not sure if they'd add Gen 4 & 5 on Switch 2 or wait until Switch 3. GF would probably make more money that way (and I'd have no issues paying even though I'd prefer NSO).

Either way, having main series games on Switch & Switch 2 in any capacity (separate releases, NSO or some other method) is far more beneficial to everyone (Nintendo, GF, us, etc.) than the current scenario, which is not having them at all.

I think for gen 5, if they end up rereleasing the games at all, they're just gonna:
  • Redesign the game to work with a single screen
  • Upres to modern resolutions
  • Touch up the 3D models
and that's it. No modern QoL like removing HMs or retcons like Fairy type, they would basically be taking the DS versions and dropping them on the eShop. The next big mainline title will be an experimental revisit a la LGPE and PLA.

Hard to say what it will be in 2024. I’m hoping a sequel to Legends. Maybe set it in Johto, Alola, or Hoenn. In terms of locale they’ve yet to do more warm, tropical environments on the Switch. Going by their pattern, I don’t think Gen 5 remakes will happen until after Gen 10.

I’d like to see Gen 10 pushed to 2026, instead of 2025 as usual, to match with the series 30th. Base the region off of the remaining Japanese region. They could do something a bit different and have the gen last longer with consistent updates. Seasons could return with areas changing based on the season and different Pokémon coming and going, including new ones. DLC expansion passes every 9 months slowly introducing the other neighboring regions of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh. New Pokémon, evolutions, and forms introduced in these DLC passes as well as physical releases. By the end of Gen 10 the entire area of PokeJapan is playable. It could look something like this:

February 2026- Gen X releases
November 2026- Kanto expansion releases
August 2027- Johto expansion releases
May 2028- Hoenn expansion releases
February 2029-Sinnoh expansion releases
2026? You are optimistic there.

If they follow what they have been doing since forever Gen 10 is due in 2025. Don't get me wrong, I don't want that and I'd easily wait even holiday 2026 for a redemption arc game on Switch 2 but... Will they? Sales aren't proving them wrong.

We got two games in 2022 and only dlc in 2023. That's the only rest Pokemon can get.
2024 is either Black & White or something different (like Legends, Let's Go). We will probably learn what's the deal on Pokemon day.
Ban me from the internet forever if we don't get a new Pokémon game in 2024.

We'll get a game in 2024 but it won't be Gen 10. My guess is an independent semi-spin-off main entry, like how they positioned LGPE or PLA. Not necessarily a direct continuation of either, although I'd love another Legends game.

I think we'll get a new Legends game and Gen 5 in one year again, but much further apart.

That said, I don't think we'll get a Legends game set in the past. Kinda hard to do given hisui was a frontier in an established world. So maybe we'll be explorers in a newly discovered island in the modern times

2026? You are optimistic there.

If they follow what they have been doing since forever Gen 10 is due in 2025. Don't get me wrong, I don't want that and I'd easily wait even holiday 2026 for a redemption arc game on Switch 2 but... Will they? Sales aren't proving them wrong.
I mean I was even thinking if it got pushed to February 2026 to align with the series 30th anniversary and then major DLC out by the holidays. I really don’t get why S/V was even rushed out as the marketing and anime didn’t start up until April anyway. Imagine if they had waited till February/March of this year to actually polish the game.

FAITHFUL
REMAKE

(The leaker is Khu btw, Centro just doesn't credit him lol. This is the original tweet)

Honestly? Good!

Black/White are great games by themselves so a faithful remake works fine. The problem with BDSP were that Diamond and Pearl themselves needed Platinum to be good. BW on the other hand are perfectly fine standalone experiences.

There wont be content from a third version cut out because there is no third version. If they want to make BW2 down the line thats great, but lacking BW2 doesnt make BW1 worse, unlike how lacking Platinum made BDSP worse, if that made sense. (And I liked BDSP for what they were)

Black/White remade 1:1 (With extra stuff like QoL, access to older pokemon, removed HMs, etc....all stuff DBSP actually did do) will be top tier.

The other hangup is the artstyle, but that will be different too because DP to BW had a different artstyle, much less chibi and more proportional in their sprites so them replicating that artstyle in a remake will look much different from BDSP anyways

Honestly? Good!

Black/White are great games by themselves so a faithful remake works fine. The problem with BDSP were that Diamond and Pearl themselves needed Platinum to be good. BW on the other hand are perfectly fine standalone experiences.

There wont be content from a third version cut out because there is no third version. If they want to make BW2 down the line thats great, but lacking BW2 doesnt make BW1 worse, unlike how lacking Platinum made BDSP worse, if that made sense. (And I liked BDSP for what they were)

Black/White remade 1:1 (With extra stuff like QoL, access to older pokemon, removed HMs, etc....all stuff DBSP actually did do) will be top tier.

The other hangup is the artstyle, but that will be different too because DP to BW had a different artstyle, much less chibi and more proportional in their sprites so them replicating that artstyle in a remake will look much different from BDSP anyways
I think i'd rather have BW2 DLC for 30$ in 2025 rather than a full ass second remake. But I agree with you for the rest. Of course, the best scenario would be to already have BW2 locations in the main remake, but we have to manage our expectations with GF.

Also, I know Zippo has a terrible track record but I still wanted to mention it. He said that a Pokemon game is launching within the first few months of the Switch succesor's life.

I’ll gladly take whatever type of remake they have for Blacl/White. Even if they use the BDSP engine, hopefully they do more than the bare minimum and at least try to make it look a tad better.

That said, I am not expecting the sequels to be coming out. Not as DLC, not as another BDSP type of remake. We’re getting the first original versions remade and that’s final. Maybe even a Legends game.

Also, I concur with what a fellow member said in the Switch 2 thread: GameFreak won’t make a next gen game until Generation 10.

I’ll gladly take whatever type of remake they have for Blacl/White. Even if they use the BDSP engine, hopefully they do more than the bare minimum and at least try to make it look a tad better.

That said, I am not expecting the sequels to be coming out. Not as DLC, not as another BDSP type of remake. We’re getting the first original versions remade and that’s final. Maybe even a Legends game.

Also, I concur with what a fellow member said in the Switch 2 thread: GameFreak won’t make a next gen game until Generation 10.
Game Freak's dev cycles don't really start with the new generation anymore, they start with an experimental title based on the new version of their engine. If Gen 10 is to be Switch 2 exclusive, Game Freak has already shipped their last Switch 1 game.

For the first time in history a pokemon game will be a launch game for the switch 2. Legends of arceus 2 as a graphical showcase gamefreak bruteforcing on the next system

I still think there's a decent chance the Arceus leads were moved onto Project Bloom which is currently scheduled for FY 2026 (April 2025 - March 2026) and that GF will wait until 2026 for Gen 10 due to the 30th anniversary. Especially with how late the DLC is releasing compared to SwSh.

If this happens, the only question is will they have a gap year in 2025? Assuming that the BDSP-like remake for BW is real and is being made by ILCA, could they add DLC to fill in that potential gap? It would be weird with BW2 being a thing.

I still think there's a decent chance the Arceus leads were moved onto Project Bloom which is currently scheduled for FY 2026 (April 2025 - March 2026) and that GF will wait until 2026 for Gen 10 due to the 30th anniversary. Especially with how late the DLC is releasing compared to SwSh.

If this happens, the only question is will they have a gap year in 2025? Assuming that the BDSP-like remake for BW is real and is being made by ILCA, could they add DLC to fill in that potential gap? It would be weird with BW2 being a thing.
what are you expecting the 2024 game to be then?

Considering that the leaker keeps hinting at a character from the SV DLC being "key to the 2024 game" I'd bet on Legends Arceus's follow up happening on the same year as a ILCA BW remake honestly, with Project Bloom being some kind of "gamefreak is only providing scenario and concept guidance but not putting their backs into it" workload.

with Project Bloom being some kind of "gamefreak is only providing scenario and concept guidance but not putting their backs into it" workload.
how would that even work? the IP is owned by GF and Private Division only provides funding. unless you mean GF is outsourcing programming

Back
Top Bottom