• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What will be the next Pokémon game?

Leo

Inkling
Pronouns
He/Him
Gen 9 is about to hit in a few days but what kind of Nintendo fans would we be if we weren't already thinking about what is next, right?

Pokémon follows some patterns (which are sometimes broken, but still overall hold true), and we are at a point now that is hard to predict what comes next because we most likely reached the end of the Switch generation of Pokémon. Every other platform had two new gens and one remake (except for the GBC which didn't have any remakes, and the GBA which had only one new gen). The Switch had actually two remakes and Arceus, which is hard to categorize, but it also didn't have any third version/sequel, which every past platform had at least one. To make matters more complicated, we also now have ILCA, which partnered with GF develop a mainline game, which was unprecedented, and means they are probably working on another game for them right now or in the future.

So, considering the patterns, GF should be done with the Switch now, but this is obviously up in the air because the Switch is an anomaly in that it's still selling like crazy almost six years in. Of course, we have lots of rumors, but whether we are seeing the new home for Pokémon anytime soon, no one knows for sure.

Despite that, Pokémon is an annual franchise, so something is due next year. In the previous gen we had DLC for the current games, and no new games on that year. I'd say DLC is almost a lock, but what about a new game? Will they skip another year?

GF isn't us and surely know what Nintendo is going to do hardware wise, so they are surely working on games with that in mind as we speak. What do you think those games are? When do they release? Are they Switch exclusive, cross-platform or Switch 2 exclusive?

These are the options we have, unless I've forgotten something: sequel to Let's Go, sequel to Legends Arceus, gen 5 remake, something completely new.

I'm between sequel to Let's Go and something entirely new. Let's Go was a game that GF used to learn how to develop for an HD home console and also to bridge audiences with Go. I can totally see them doing something like that again, whether it's Let's Go Johto or something else. ILCA seemingly being in charge of the remakes from now on (and gen 5 remakes probably being a good 4-5 years away) mean GF has more room to experiment with different types of games like they did with Arceus, but that is also something I think they would feel more comfortable doing once they have done a more simple game to get some footing on the the hardware. I believe this new "simple Let's Go-like" game will be cross platform, and then the next one should be Switch 2 exclusive, as Pokémon is the biggest console seller in the market and Nintendo would surely push for that.

Last edited:
I would absolutely love a new Let’s Go game. I’ve been asking for Let’s Go Johto since LGPE launched. Until Arceus, Let’s Go was probably my favorite Pokémon game. I love the graphics and the art style and the gameplay and the cozy feel. It’s the first Pokémon game I ever completed the Pokédex in. Seeing the Pokemon walking around was magical. And how awesome was it to ride a few of them? Arcanine is one of my favorite Pokémon ever, and getting to ride around on one was so special. And remember how you could fly on some Pokemon too? Man those games were great.

I don’t expect a new Let’s Go. There was a time when I was hopeful, but I feel now that Let’s Go was kind of a test game for Game Freak. They probably won’t go back to that style. I’m skeptical that we’ll even get another game in the style of Legends. If we get either one I’ll be ecstatic but I’m not gonna hold my breath.

Despite that, Pokémon is an annual franchise, so something is due next year. In the previous gen we had DLC for the current games, and no new games on that year. I'd say DLC is almost a lock, but what about a new game? Will they skip another year?
My guess is Detective Pikachu 2 will release in 2023, and we'll also get some DLC content for Violet & Scarlet.
I also wonder if anymore remakes are planned, like Diamond and Pearl.

Last edited:
Let’s Go Johto would be cool, but I hope it’s Pokémon Legends Mew. I would looooooove to explore an ancient Kanto around the time of Mew’s origin. Something focused on the OG 150 and their evolutions and baby forms.

Or I guess Pokémon Legends Kyurem or Gen 5. Just keep the Legends style going.

I don't think we will get another Let's GO game. It's not impossible, but I think the first one was a one-off.

Personally, I think this is what we will get:

2023: Scarlet and Violet DLC
2024: More Scarlet and Violet DLC, NSO/eShop releases of Gens 1-3
2025: Either an outsourced Gen 5 remake, or a new Legends game (or both looking at the prior two lol)
2026: Gen 10

I'm pretty sure Let's Go is a one and done, it didn't sell all that well in Japan and the Pokémon Go fad is long gone. Legends is in a way a spiritual sequel to its style of gameplay with its aiming-reliant catching and an emphasis on collecting rather than battling, and I'm confident that is still going to be a thing. Mechanics like Pokemon attacking the player character in the wild or real time battles will never, ever make it into a mainline game and SV's reluctance to incorporate much of what Arceus brought to the table despite being developed in tandem is proof of that. Legends: Kyurem would be really cool to see I think, Unova has a big roster of Pokemon that desperately need some love thrown their way and maybe they could reveal the true original dragon. I guess they could bring back ILCA again for a BW/B2W2 remake to go alongside it but I don't know if anyone wants them to work on Pokemon anymore.

Gen 10 however... I think it's time for a Pokemon MMO. SV are already a MMO prototype with its open world, split quests and the multiplayer feature so why not just do the real thing and promote it with a massive 30th anniversary campaign on 2026?

I'll take a game that stops making stupid-ass decisions like removing player options for no reason

DLC next year 100%, not sure what'll come after that. They'll need another year between DLC and Gen 10, but idk what they'll do then. Seems too early for Gen 5 remakes. Maybe something in the vein of Legends.
Gen 10 however... I think it's time for a Pokemon MMO. SV are already a MMO prototype with its open world, split quests and the multiplayer feature so why not just do the real thing and promote it with a massive 30th anniversary campaign on 2026?
A full MMO seems way beyond what Game Freak is capable of. That's a long-term project that would last for years and years, that doesn't gel with Game Freak's need to pump out a new game every single year

SV DLC is a lock for next year, and the three year cycle will give us Gen X in 25, so it's a question of what they do in 24. I think we get another experimental title on Switch in the vein of Let's Go and Arceus, though not necessarily a follow-up to either of those. Hard to say what that might look like, though I could see it being a prelude to how they handle Gen X. Considering how far Game Freak has come in the last five years, if Switch 2 is similar to Switch, there's less of a need for them to acclimate to new hardware.

I'm not convinced that ILCA's going to keep doing remakes, considering how many other projects they seem to juggle, though I think BW nostalgia is coming in Gen X anyway.

what kind of Nintendo fans would we be if we weren't already thinking about what is next, right?
This is just gamers in general.

As for what's next, my guess is some form of DLC for S/V. I did not play the expansions for SwSh, but perhaps something along those lines?

There's no new hardware in sight. If there's ever a system to receive three generations of Pokémon, the Switch could be it. But it's hard to say at this point. We're in uncharted territory when it comes to Nintendo in general.

If they do Gen 5, I'm interested in where they go with it. BW1 restricting any non-Gen 5 Pokemon to postgame was a bold move but one they have never returned to. A straight remake of the first games with a reworked Dream World a la the Grand Underground is a possibility to sprinkle in older Pokemon while preserving BW1's basic structure?

Pokémon follows some patterns (which are sometimes broken, but still overall hold true)
It does, but as you said it also doesn't ahahah. Though I kind of feel like what happened from Gen 5 onwards was more of a matter of necessity rather than virtue (with a healthy dose of desire to surprise the playerbase thrown in, no doubt!).

As for the topic at hand, If I'm asked to make a prediction right now I feel like:

2023: SV Expansion Pass. 2 waves similarly to SwSh. It worked with Gen 8, it makes perfect sense to do DLC now (and I prefer it to third versions). I also imagine they'll keep on doing Expansions for the immediate future (outside of surprise sequels which might also be on the table to shake things up)

2024: Probably the hardest year to predict, but I feel like another Legends (Unova) game is the likeliest outcome. Option 2 is a GF-developed BW remake or a sequel to B2W2 (without 3 anywhere in the title), it's possibile but less likely. Feel less confident than option 2 for a new Let's Go.
Hard to say if we'll have another outsourced mainline game by ILCA, maybe circumstances over BDSP were simply out of the ordinary (with covid having for sure delayed PLA). Remaking BW without 2 would be meh and having remakes of 1 and 2 + an hypotetical Legends Unova game spread out over 2 generational cycles also feels overkill, so to me it's either outsourced something Gen 5 + Legends Unova by GF or Legends and nothing else.

2025: Gen 10. I know many will say that TPC/GF would rather have a new generation (the tenth one no less) on the franchise's 30th anniversary in 2026, but I feel like they'd still prioritize having a 3 year new gen cycle over having a huge game for anniversary synergy regardless.

Last edited:
I definitely think they're working on another Legends game, but only as a reaction to Arceus's success and as such I don't expect that to come out for a while. Let's Go is imo completely off the table for multiple reasons: worst in the series sales in Japan, no legs at all, using up resources that could go to much more successful titles, etc.

Remaking gen 5 is going to be a weird proposition. The most obvious thing is that unlike previous games, you'd actually have to do two games since BW got straight sequels instead of a definitive rerelease. Then you have all the issues with BDSP, with it also having no legs, extreme fan backlash, and how much its issues gummed up other parts of the franchise. They don't even have the option of going back to HGSS or ORAS style remakes because taking a sprite-based game and scaling the presentation up to the level of SV takes so many resources that you may as well make a new game from scratch. I think the reason GF is giving Unova such preferential treatment has more to do with the fact that it's the sacred cow among the hardcore fans.

So, with all that, I think what's going to happen is in 2024 we're gonna get another experimental title that will blindside people. Or, if they really are building up to do something with gen 5, it will be Black and White 3 set in a significantly changed, seamless Unova.

I don't think we should expect anything Unova anytime soon. All the remakes had a 5 year interval between them. If GF followed the same release schedule for the remakes they do for new gens, we would be playing Sun and Moon remakes next year, so that doesn't work.

I think they're far more likely to go back to Johto in the near future, and Unova should be around 2026.

I don't think we should expect anything Unova anytime soon. All the remakes had a 5 year interval between them. If GF followed the same release schedule for the remakes they do for new gens, we would be playing Sun and Moon remakes next year, so that doesn't work.

I think they're far more likely to go back to Johto in the near future, and Unova should be around 2026.
I think it depends on how they view the ILCA collaboration. If they no longer have to work on the remakes themselves, I could see them cranking out remakes via outsourcing.

That said, thinking about it, it's more likely we see HGSS remade in the BDSP style than a BW remake in the next few years.

Mmm... that is true. I wonder if GF feel like a return to Gen 5 is too early.

Honestly guessing what they'll have for 2024 is quite difficult all things considered. Something Johto is not impossible, though like others have said, I don't expect a new Let's Go for a few reasons.

Last edited:
After the SV DLC, I'm expecting a new experimental project from Game Freak. Probably focused on either Johto or Unova.

After the SV DLC, I'm expecting a new experimental project from Game Freak. Probably focused on either Johto or Unova.
If we could get another Legends-style entry into the series, Johto would be an absolutely perfect fit for it. Let players become part of the folklore of the region! I can also see a Legends Lggia/Ho-oh adopt an art style that harkens more to calligraphic brushwork. And I'm reminded of that Pokemon movie about Unown, you could build a story around their reality-bending powers.

There is no way that they're done with Switch. Maybe Gen X will be on the next system, but I'd expect DLC next year and maybe a spinoff like Detective Pikachu. Even after that I think we get a remake that is maybe cross-gen.

It's gotta be Detective Pika2 right? We saw someone's linkedin say they worked on it and it's releasing soon.

Personally I'm very hopeful this as one of eight fans of the first game who's been impatiently waiting since the announcement in 2019 😂

With all the different subseries now, the timing of previous releases, and some other unique circumstances, we're kind of in a weird place that's hard to predict

Everyone takes it for granted that we'll get expansions next year, but is that even a sure thing? Don't get me wrong, I think so too (and we literally have part of the map that's crossed out), but Game Freak haven't done the same thing since like gen 4. Gen 5 had sequels, gen 6 had nothing (though was planned to), gen 7 had split enhanced versions and gen 8 had DLC. The expansion pass did have the benefit of not cutting off SwSh's legs, but we don't actually know how well it sold itself do we? If the Switch ends up getting some sort of upgrade/successor next holiday, what if they decide to go full priced enhanced versions again but this time on a new system, like the rumored Pokémon Stars? Upgraded performance would surely be a uniquely relevant selling point this time. Ultra Scarlet Infra Red and Ultra Violet

I also don't know what to expect for remakes. They haven't done them in consecutive gens since HGSS so I don't expect another on the Switch. But they've also never started a generation. But then what will they release between gen 9 and 10? Gen 5 is also unique in that it had both BW and B2W2 so I have no idea what they'll do there. For straight remakes I think they're likeliest to outsource to ILCA again. My actual guess for the first new game on the eventual Switch successor is something like Legends Kyurem or Celebi, as part of gen 9, but even then we don't know what will happen with the Legends subseries going forward.

We're at a point in time where the immediate future of the franchise is somewhat unpredictable, while also having hope again after two banging releases in 2022. What a time to be alive

Last edited:
Dream scenario:

2022 - Scarlet & Violet
2023 - Scarlet & Violet DLC + Switch 2 release + a big Spinoff
2024 - Legends Johto for Switch 2 (Johto is the oldest region without a new game and it already had a traditional remake so they can do an experimental Legends game, mirroring Let’s Go for Kanto in 2018)
2025 - Legends Johto DLC + a big Spinoff
2026 - Gen 10 and the 30th anniversary
2027 - Gen 10 DLC
2028 - Traditional Black and White remake with Gen 10 as a basis

The only problem would be the 4 year gap between Gen 9 and 10, especially since they would be waiting more to have a new gen on new hardware which is a big priority for them. Otherwise push Gen 10 to 2025 and do the rest the same way

2023 is most likely SV DLC for $30 contains 2 expansions, with the $60 release being Detective Pikachu 2. As much as I’d love PMD Explorers of Sky to get remade much like Rescue Team did, DP2 is much more likely due to it being 3-4~ years since its initial announcement. Both of these projects are announced in an early 2023 Pokémon Presents, essentially copying the January 2020 one. That one was only in January because Rescue Team DX released in March and retail games need a 6-8 week window for marketing. February 2023 near/on Pokémon Day 2023 getting a Presents is something I’d put money on if I were a betting man.

2024 is completely different. If the next iteration of Switch hardware is out, then Pokémon 2024 will take advantage of it, much like the Alola games did with the n3DS and BW1&2 did with the DSi. I can see with being either a Johto or Unova game, whether it’s Let’s Go 2 Johto, Legends Celebi, Legends Genesect/Kyreum, etc.

I can see Game Freak throwing us a curveball in 2024 too. If you do a Johto game, which will sell a crapload of units because nearly everyone has fond memories of Gen 2 and HGSS, then you can save the Unova games and do BW3 later down the line. Of course, a Legends Unova game could also function as BW3 too by just setting it in the far future and going exploring the Third Dragon. To me, BW3 would be the most interesting route to go down. More curveballs like USUM, LGPE, and Arceus means more willingness to experiment.

2025 is where I truly hope TPCi delays Gen X if it’s currently slotted for that year internally. I currently expect Gen X to release here, but it could be a DLC year for Pokémon 2024, much like how this year pre-SV announcement, everyone predicted Arceus DLC at the February 2022 presents.

2026 is ideally where Gen X should be slotted. 4 years of dev time (and at that point, GF should know their way around whatever the next Switch hardware is), and able to experiment more on the games and not end up with a SV-style launch debacle. However, this year is currently more likely to be Gen X DLC if indeed Gen X is Pokémon 2025.

My preferred timeline here:
2023 SV DLC, DP2
2024 Johto remake, Conquest revival
2025 mainline off-year, PMD Sky DX/new mystery dungeon
2026 Gen X

I do hope Rumble, PokePark,
Ranger, and Conquest come back someday. 20 saw PMD DX and 21 had New Snap (22 was a spin-off off-year), so DP2 for 23 should be a solid prediction.

2023: Scarlet/Violet DLC
2024: Off year
2025: Legends Kyurem/BW 3 + outsourced BW remakes
2026: Gen X for 30th anniversary

Hopefully BW remakes or a Legends 2. I'm ok with both, though I'd rather get the remakes first.

2023: Scarlet/Violet Expansion Pass
2024: Black/White 3 by ILCA (yes I actually think this could happen)
2025: Legends Unova

2023: Scarlet/Violet DLC + Switch 2 performance upgrade.
2024: Hearther Gold & Souler Silver by ILCA
2025: Legend Celebi
2026: Gen X (Pokémon now becomes a GAAS and gen X will be the last gen for a while).

Completely unrelated to this thread, my son speculated the other day that it’ll be Pokemon Sausage and Pokemon Pastry. The two elements of a sausage roll.

Honestly, I don't see a Pokemon Let's Go Johto or ILCA-developed Johto remake happening, Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee was designed to cash in on the craze of Pokemon Let's Go back in 2016. Instead, I think we may get ILCA remakes for Pokemon Black and White for late 2023 with Pokemon Legends Kyurem for early 2024.

My prediction is HeartGold/SoulSilver remakes by ILCA.

Apparently Let’s GO underperformed in Japan so that series is probability done.

Legends had a 3 year dev cycle so it’s possible it could be holiday 2024, but I think they’re gonna repeat they did with Gen 4 and release a Unova Legends game along side ILCA Gen 5 remakes.

New gens are always every 3 years so I don’t expect gen 10 until 2025, and honestly, despite loving SV, I hope they give it more time and release it in 2026. But SV made hella money so that’s unlikely :(

I don't think we will get another Let's GO game. It's not impossible, but I think the first one was a one-off.

Personally, I think this is what we will get:

2023: Scarlet and Violet DLC
2024: More Scarlet and Violet DLC, NSO/eShop releases of Gens 1-3
2025: Either an outsourced Gen 5 remake, or a new Legends game (or both looking at the prior two lol)
The only reason I think another lets go is possible is because G/S is a direct sequel to RBY. It would be nice to finish those two games in tandem as Let’s Go entities since they’re tied closely together. Other than that, I don’t think Let’s Go will become its own franchise. Entirely possible they’re holding off Let’s Go 2 for the Switch 2 to further bring that market over.

I hope they wait until 2026 for gen 10.
New console + 4 year dev cycle + 30th anniversary. That's something you would wanna do for your TENTH generation if you cared the slightest about your product.

2023 Pokemon SV DLC
2024 Pokemon Let's go Johto, with an even chibier artstyle
2025 Pokemon MMORPG that somehow works, Switch/Switch 2 cross gen title, explodes in popularity like FF14
2026 Gen 10: Region based in Latin America

My new wildcard prediction:

2024: Second SV Expansion Pass or Third Version (also available as DLC)
2025: ILCA title (Unova Remakes/BW3?)

With Project Bloom now being a thing and currently scheduled for 2026 (I think), I wonder if many of the Arceus leads not credited in SV moved over to that instead with it being an action game. I still think ILCA has something in the works, even with Sand Land and a new Ace Combat being developed. Who knows what it will actually be, though.

Gen 10 being 2026 would line up nicely with the 30th anniversary.

Creatures apparently has something else in the works besides DP2, but I feel like that may be something from the former Ambrella side, likely another spin-off.

Last edited:
Here's my take!

2024:
Pokémon Legends Johto + An enhanced version of Pokémon HGSS that releases on the eShop (and maybe a physical release too)
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers DX

2025:
Pokémon Legends Johto DLC
Pokémon ILCA Unova remake

2026:
Gen 10!

In their recent games (All of gen 8, SV and its DLC) there are quite a lot of hints and references towards both Johto and Unova, so i think both regions will get new games before gen 10.

2023:
Detective Pikachu
SV DLC
RBY NSO

2024:
Pokemon Sleep
RBY connectivity with Pokemon Stadium NSO
Mystery Dungeon
Pokemon Pinball 3 (LET ME DREAM, DAMMIT)
Unova Remake

2025 (The Year of Johto I guess?):
Pokemon Legends: Celebi
Let's go Marill/Togepi
GSC NSO (six months later will have connectivity with Pokemon Stadium 2)
New Mobile/PC/Switch free-to-start game also based on Johto

2026:
(for the love of God I pray gen 10 isn't announced until 2027 at the earliest)
idk Colosseum/XD: GoD remakes???
Pokemon Legends DLC

2027 (regardless of opinions of new hardware, Switch will still be sold alongside Switch 2 which should have released by now even with the most pessimistic of takes. Switch will most likely be discontinued in 2028 after 11 years on market and 160m+ install base taking the crown as most sold game console LTD):
If Gen 10 is even alluded to prior to this, I have absolutely no faith Game Freak learned from their mistakes of SV development nor heard the concerns of the fanbase. If they can choose their timeline for releasing games and aligning merch/anime/TCG, they have to know by now it's a minimum four year cycle (ideally 5+)

2026:
(for the love of God I pray gen 10 isn't announced until 2027 at the earliest)
Well, you're going to be disappointed because Game Freak has released new gens on the 10s anniversaries: DP for the 10th anniversary, SM for the 20th. The probability is high (95%) Gen 10 will be out November 20th, 2026 for the 30th anniversary.

The big question is what's coming in 2024 and 2025 in between.

Well, you're going to be disappointed because Game Freak has released new gens on the 10s anniversaries: DP for the 10th anniversary, SM for the 20th. The probability is high (95%) Gen 10 will be out November 20th, 2026 for the 30th anniversary.

The big question is what's coming in 2024 and 2025 in between.
Can't wait for another glitch fest 🥲 World's biggest media franchise and SV is the supposed peak we can expect in terms of quality

I would really really like it to be Let's Go Johto but I honestly doubt we will ever get another Let's Go game.

More detailed post about the current GF pipeline/project leads in my opinion

• Hiroyuki Tani - Director of Hidden Treasures of Area Zero, currently scheduled for completion in Winter 2023.

• Kazumasa Iwao - Director or mid-generation title. Likely in full production since around the release of Scarlet/Violet in November 2022. Probably the most difficult to speculate. It could be a second expansion pass/third version/sequel for SV, a remake, a new Legends title, or something completely different. Possibly scheduled for Late 2024 release.

• Masao Taya - Director of Gear Project title. Project Bloom is currently scheduled for a FY 2026 release, probably sometime in 2025 unless it gets delayed. Unknown if there is significant outsourcing like precious Gear Project titles.

• Shigeru Ohmori - Director of main generation titles and producer of mid-gen titles. Almost certainly working on Gen 10 which will enter full production as the SV DLC is wrapping up development. For now, I think this is a Late 2026 release. I'm not ruling out a Late 2025 yet, but 2026 lines up nicely with the 30th anniversary as others have said.

2025 being potentially being a gap year is why I think ILCA or another dev will have something. If my speculation that some Arceus leads moving over to Project Bloom is correct, it also reinforces next year being another expansion or at least something related to SV. Who knows at the end of the day, the series has become pretty unpredictable.

Can't wait for another glitch fest 🥲 World's biggest media franchise and SV is the supposed peak we can expect in terms of quality
Well, 2026 would be a four year gap which is already longer than usual for Pokémon. So there's a chance

Well, 2026 would be a four year gap which is already longer than usual for Pokémon. So there's a chance
I'd be willing to tolerate four year gap for the coming generation, if afterwards they keep to a five year gap so they can always have a new generation to celebrate a 35, 40, 45 etc. anniversary and ensure each game is actually given appropriate dev time

Apparently a rumor has been going around that the next Pokémon game is a Unova Legends game? I’m trying to find the source of it but I cannot.

It'd be funny as heck if lets go Johto came out before anything else with all the gen 5 rumor. Not going to happen but still.

Just give me a new Legends game. Johto? Unova? Don't care, as long as it's Legends. Legends Arceus was the most fun I had with a Pokémon game in years, so having another game in that vein would be fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom