• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What will be the 6 GOTY nominations at The Game Awards 2023?

(PICK 6) What will be the 6 GOTY nominations at The Game Awards 2023?

• Fire Emblem Engage

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • Dead Space

Votes: 22 4.2%
  • Resident Evil 4

Votes: 329 62.8%
  • Dead Island 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

Votes: 98 18.7%
  • Redfall

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Votes: 516 98.5%
  • Street Fighter 6

Votes: 129 24.6%
  • Diablo 4

Votes: 184 35.1%
  • Final Fantasy 16

Votes: 386 73.7%
  • Hollow Knight: Silksong

Votes: 114 21.8%
  • Pikmin 4

Votes: 28 5.3%
  • Starfield

Votes: 418 79.8%
  • Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon

Votes: 94 17.9%
  • Assassin’s Creed Mirage

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2

Votes: 383 73.1%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 31 5.9%
  • (edit) Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Votes: 49 9.4%
  • (edit) Baldur's Gate 3

Votes: 85 16.2%
  • (edit) Hi-Fi Rush

Votes: 5 1.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I wonder if RE4 being a remake holds it back in GotY awards. I know it didn’t for RE2, but this year feels way more stacked when it comes to potential nominees than 2019 did.

Yeah I wonder if RE4 being a remake holds it back in GotY awards. I know it didn’t for RE2, but this year feels way more stacked when it comes to potential nominees than 2019 did.
tbh it kind of did for Re2 as well. by the time the award season came around a lot of people forgot about RE2, and I think Re4 has even less buzz in a more stacked year.

I made this list earlier, but I will expand on it.

Locks:
Resident Evil 4- Launched to great fanfare.
Zelda: TotK- Coming out next month to a lot of hype. Legendary franchise.
Final Fantasy XVI- See above.

Good chances:
Spider-Man 2- I need to see at least one gameplay trailer before considering this to be a lock.
Starfield- If it has a solid launch, then it should be safely in the lock category.

Wild Card:
Diabo IV- Beta was hype. There is a good chance this makes it into the lock category.
Star Wars: Jedi Survivor- Well known franchise with a lot of excitement behind it.
[Redacted]- ATM it is one of the biggest games of the year. It is going to get some nominations, possibly GOTY.
Street Fighter 6- There is a lot of excitement building behind this game. I think the launch will surprise some people.
Octopath Traveler 2- A large improvement over the first game, it will probably come up short but it should be recognized here at least.
Dead Space- Great launch and revival for the franchise, most years it probably would get a GOTY nomination.
Hollow Knight: Silksong- When are you going to launch already?
Alan Wake 2- I think this will be like Dead Space. Great game, but it will fall behind bigger names.

This year is stacked. There will be at least one or two great games that will get left out.

Time to take my victory lap

spin-running-in-circles-homer-simpsons-ch2n7ccgjo44thht.gif

It probably won’t win anything, but it got so much praise that I can’t imagine it isn’t nominated for multiple awards. There’d have to be multiple killer titles for it to get cut entirely, and we aren’t at that point just yet.

Honestly after watching the Spider-Man 2 gameplay video I would reduce it's chances. Looking like a very safe sequel that will be fun and fine but bring very little new to the table -- probably a mid-80's reviewer.

Well, Street Fighter 6 is looking a heck of a lot more likely now.
I’m not into Street Fighter, but it’s awesome how well it’s scoring.

Hoping square completes the trifecta with XVI and we get a 90+ from Nintendo, Capcom, and SE within a near month of eachother. Would be awesome to see.

It is very hard for fighting games to get into the GOTY noms but SF6 certainly has the scores to back up a potential chance here. I still feel like there are 5 obvious picks nearly set in stone but this could end up being that wildcard 6th.

I just voted so my SF6 pick is a little more informed than others. 😜

Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony are locked for nominees. ToTK, Starfield, and Spider Man 2. If Starfield somehow ends up mid tier, than Hi Fi Rush will replace it.

I think an indie is likely, but not confident SilkSong will hit this year. Something out of the blue might emerge. But this is definitely the year to argue against an indie. So assuming nothing lights the world on fire in the space, I picked Diablo 4, FF16, and SF6 (in addition to ToTK, Starfield, and Spider Man 2) just becuase I think they will be high quality enough that franchise and fanfare will make them undeniable.

RE4 Remake absolutely deserves to be in there, but it is a remake. It hads its deserved time in the sun.

I just voted so my SF6 pick is a little more informed than others. 😜

Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony are locked for nominees. ToTK, Starfield, and Spider Man 2. If Starfield somehow ends up mid tier, than Hi Fi Rush will replace it.

I think an indie is likely, but not confident SilkSong will hit this year. Something out of the blue might emerge. But this is definitely the year to argue against an indie. So assuming nothing lights the world on fire in the space, I picked Diablo 4, FF16, and SF6 (in addition to ToTK, Starfield, and Spider Man 2) just becuase I think they will be high quality enough that franchise and fanfare will make them undeniable.

RE4 Remake absolutely deserves to be in there, but it is a remake. It hads its deserved time in the sun.
Would love for it show up, but Hi-Fi Rush has no shot. Smaller games like that have been snubbed for years.

If Starfield misses, Microsoft won’t have a GOTY nominee.

It is very hard for fighting games to get into the GOTY noms but SF6 certainly has the scores to back up a potential chance here. I still feel like there are 5 obvious picks nearly set in stone but this could end up being that wildcard 6th.

Yeah. I hate the the TGA is so genre biased, but I think SF is a big enough name to give it a shot.

Would love for it show up, but Hi-Fi Rush has no shot. Smaller games like that have been snubbed for years.

If Starfield misses, Microsoft won’t have a GOTY nominee.
The Game Awards undoubtedly threw Microsoft a bone with Plague Tale, so I would think they would absolutely do it again with Hi Fi Rush (if needed).

But Starfield will probably deliver so the conversation is likely moot.

Just a reminder that the noms aren’t decided by Geoff or some unknown singular unity that represents The Game Awards. It’s a vote by dozens out journalists and gaming outlets where the top 6 get the spots.

The Game Awards undoubtedly threw Microsoft a bone with Plague Tale, so I would think they would absolutely do it again with Hi Fi Rush (if needed).

I doubt it. Xbox exclusives haven't made a GOTY nomination in the past decade.

But I agree that they have a good chance this year.

Don’t think that’s the case at all, if anything it’s the opposite. The Game Awards favor big AAA titles over AAs. They’d probably nominate something like Jedi Survivor or Alan Wake if Starfield ends up being a whiff.

Just a reminder that the noms aren’t decided by Geoff or some unknown singular unity that represents The Game Awards. It’s a vote by dozens out journalists and gaming outlets where the top 6 get the spots.

I just looked into the process and the voting jury.

I stand corrected.

Not a lot of wiggle room to play the system to make sure every platform is represented. Now I'm kinda flabbergasted at a few of last year's nominees...

The six I voted for were RE4, TotK, FF16, Silksong, Starfield and Spider-Man. I do agree SF6 will probably take RE4's place. The others are still a lock if they release imo. Biggest one at risk of slipping is Silksong I guess. In which case RE4 is probably back in

I just looked into the process and the voting jury.

I stand corrected.

Not a lot of wiggle room to play the system to make sure every platform is represented. Now I'm kinda flabbergasted at a few of last year's nominees...
Last year I just don’t think there were too many obvious choices outside of Elden Ring and God of War. It’s was also good to see Xenoblade in there to finally stop people from thinking Geoff had some vendetta against the series for whatever reason lol.

After Redfall, I'm starting to get a little worried about Starfield. Theres a good chance it gets rushed out for the holidays and suffers because of it. It feels like this could be Cyberpunk all over again.

I haven't played it, but I feel like Hifi Rush came out in the wrong year. If it was a 2021 game, it probably would have easily gotten nominated for GOTY.

Geoff called me, the 6 nominees are:

• Octopath Traveler II
  • Octopath Traveler II
  • Octopath Traveler II
  • Octopath Traveler II
  • Octopath Traveler II
  • Octopath Traveler II

II'll be happy if it wins best soundtrack but I'm not holding my breath.

Yup. Same reason why I'd say a FROM nomination is guaranteed.

RE4
Zelda TotK
FFXVI
Starfield
Spider-Man 2
Silksong

Starfield takes it unless the game is an unmitigated disaster.
Quoting this post after the Starfield Direct because everyone is already declaring it GotY. If it's good it wins as I predicted

There is no timeline where Pikmin 4 is on a GotY nomination at the game awards. As much as I love that series, that will never happen.

• Final Fantasy XVI
  • Diablo IV
  • Starfield
  • Hollow Knight Silksong
  • Resident Evil 4
If Starfield or Diablo end up disappointing, I can see Spider-Man 2 getting in instead.
Silksong is delayed, so that's probably not in play, so I guess the other five plus Spider-Man

Starfield looks amazing btw

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Starfield
Final Fantasy XVI
Street Fighter 6
Resident Evil 4
Spider-Man 2

Maybe an outside shot of Alan Wake 2 or a surprise Nintendo game pushing out Street Fighter or Resident Evil, but I don't see it happening. Don't think anything else really has a shot.

Starfield has that new IP edge that GOTY winners often have so, if it's great, it may end up being Zelda's biggest competitor.
But gameplay doesn't look that great.

The game looks big, and of course discover so many planets (and new quests, stories...) is hype, but the shooter gameplay just looks... boring, generic I would say.

It's not even close to Zelda from what I can see.

What will make or break Starfield is how buggy it is at launch. If it ends up being a Fallout 76 style blazing car crash it won't get a sniff of any GOTY awards. I mean if Bethesda pull it off then fair play to them, but fool me once and all that...

the people saying that starfield will sweep need to calm tf down and wait for the game to actually release
People are saying Starfield could sweep if everything they showed off in their very impressive, hour-long showcase this morning delivers. Obviously if the game comes out and it's bad it's not going to win a whole bunch of awards.

People are saying Starfield could sweep if everything they showed off in their very impressive, hour-long showcase this morning delivers. Obviously if the game comes out and it's bad it's not going to win a whole bunch of awards.
I'll take this a step further and say if the game is even a fraction of what they showed it will sweep. It's hugely ambitious. I could have some jank and it wouldn't matter.

Legit think it's all but locked in now barring a catastrophe.

Yeah at this point it's either Zelda or Starfield for the win. Everything else will be just there to fill up the list.
Probably starfield if everything ends up good. It looks very ambitious, like future standard of open world rpgs kind-of ambitious.

Still think Zelda wins GOTY pretty handily but that was a really good showcase for Starfield, good for the Xbox (and PC) homies they needed that shot of positivity.

It was shown in a very controlled showcase and I feel like the tolerance for Bethesda's buginess is far less nowadays though
How can you feel like the “tolerance for Bethesda’s buginess is far less nowadays” when the last single player game they put out was in 2015 and garnered widespread acclaim, and people to this day play every BGS game from morrowind to Fallout 76 regularly. If anything the audience has grown more tolerant of the bugs in BGS games lmfao.

• Street Fighter 6
  • Final Fantasy 16
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Starfield
  • Hollow Knight: Silksong
Looking forward to this medley.

I would put Metroid Prime Remastered also here but I don't think they will do remasters and remakes.

It was shown in a very controlled showcase and I feel like the tolerance for Bethesda's buginess is far less nowadays though
Bethesda’s buginess has a) always been overblown and b) has decreased significantly with every release. With the exception of Fallout 73 which was an online GaaS which tons of companies seem to struggle with launching.

If Starfield delivers it’s totally got it. Seems ambitious as hell, and the “story” of the win with it being a big Xbox AND Bethesda comeback will push it over TOTK imo.

I'm not into sci-fi but I liked what they showed. The combination of procedural generated with handcrafted content seems to be interesting.
If it's able to reach a 90+ MC it will probably be the main contender for GOTY awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom