• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What Were Your Favorite Games From Not E3 2022 Prior To Nintendo Arriving Fashionably Late?

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #TrustTheProcess
Barring Nintendo's rumored Nintendo Direct on the 28th and 29th which I am very hyped about, not E3 season has essentially wrapped up today. The big streams are over now from Sony's State of Play, Geoff's Summer Game Fest, and the Xbox Showcases as well as a large amount of smaller shows (the most yet for this period I believe). I know we'll all have plenty to say and be excited about when Nintendo arrives, so I'm curious about the best of the rest.

For me I think Square had my favorite games with Final Fantasy XVI and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. While neither trailer revealed too much new info, the games are just looking phenomenal and are both coming sooner than later. I also had the most fun sharing and discussing these trailers with family and friends.

Street Fighter VI was the other one that really stood out to me. It just feels incredibly confident in a way Street Fighter V didn't and while unfortunate for the team, the full roster leak I think really worked out for the best as the line up feels strong and the new designs for both new and returning characters all look really solid (I'm thrilled Ken left his awful banana hair behind!). If I had to pick an overall winner from Not E3 so far, I feel like Street Fighter VI won the most enthusiasm especially as it appeared at multiple events and demo'd well.

I'll turn it over to you now Fami, what games positively stood out to you from Not E3 2022 so far? I picked bigger games myself, but feel free to share all of the indies you loved too!

Rebirth for sure. Loved FF7R and I'm really looking forward to whatever craziness awaits in the sequel.

Ironically I originally disliked the idea of an FF7 remake as it's one of my favorite games and I was sure Square would screw it up, but I'm loving this Rebuild Of Final Fantasy VII thing they're going for.

Street Fighter 6 is the main one but I kinda knew that already before I even saw gameplay. I've heard rumors they leaked the roster on purpose and if that's true whoever did that should get a raise, it really amped up my hype for the game.

One I'm very interested in seeing more of is Wo Long Fallen Dynasty, I've been in love with the RoTK lately so getting an action game from the Team Ninja people in that setting should be really good.

Last edited:
Street Fighter VI has to be it for me. I didn't enjoy the direction the franchise was heading during SFV and started to feel I had moved on from Street Fighter. VI's showing though seems incredibly promising and a move in the right direction, so much so I was caught off guard.

When "Capcom is back!" was making the rounds online due to the quality of their recent-ish output I felt that was true for the company except for their fighting games, however SFVI makes it finally look like that part of Capcom has caught up. If the game sticks the landing at launch then it will feel like all of Capcom is finally "back".

Rebirth for sure. Loved FF7R and I'm really looking forward to whatever craziness awaits in the sequel.

Ironically I originally disliked the idea of an FF7 remake as it's one of my favorite games and I was sure Square would screw it up, but I'm loving this Rebuild Of Final Fantasy VII thing they're going for.
Yeah that's why I love the Remake so much, it's not a remake. At the same time, the first game paying so much loving respect to the original game makes me confident wherever they go in the next two games will be awesome.

I still have a lot of questions about Final Fantasy XVI, but I would be lying if I said that I wasn't excited. I am also pumped that Rebirth is, at worst, two months out.

The Street Fighter VI trailer at first was a little underwhelming, but the roster "leak" has me fully on board. Now I am super pumped for this game, and I cannot get enough of every trailer shown.

TMNT: Shredder's Revenge has been on my list for a while, so it is nice to see it finally get released.

I am intrigued by A Plague Tale Requim. So happy it is a Gamepass game.

Stray coming to PS Plus Extra day 1 is a huge win.

I need Starfield in my life.

There is a lot to be excited about the next ~12 months, but these are the big ones for me.

As far as games that were officially revealed this month (so not including Silksong), I'd say Resident Evil 4 remake, The Plucky Squire, and Cocoon.

My favorite definitely has to be Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion due to really enjoying it back during the PSP era, it was one of my first PSP games and I actually played it before Final Fantasy VII so I have a lot of nostalgia for it.

Starfield definitely looked like exactly what I expected, that being a Bethesda game in space, and has my eye caught for now.

Resident Evil 4 Remake definitely has me wowed as well, the original one of the best Gamecube games I played.

All in all it's definitely been a pretty good store brand E3 for my tastes.

The games that caught my eye:

The Plucky Squire has a fantastic visual design in 2D and 3D. The gameplay seems to have a lot of variety too.

Starfeild really impressed me. The idea of traveling to planets with a ship I built and a crew I've chosen could be very fun. I hope it's a bit more polished than older their older games.

FFVII Crisis Core reunion looks much better visually than the PSP version. Im eager to play this game again, just not on a PSP. Here's hoping it runs well on Switch.

Persona 5R coming to PC is a huge win for me. I've wanted to play this game for sometime. But I don't own PS4 or PS5. This is a day one GamePass download.

Final Fantasy XVI just looks epic. I'm hoping we see more of the world and exploration in the next trailer (TGS maybe).

Cocoon's trailer wriggled my brain for a sec when I first saw it. Love the idea of diving into a world inside of another world. Reminds me of the MIB2 ending.

Even though I didn't enjoy the main Summer Games Fest show. I was pretty happy with all the other shows. Still plenty to play this year and next.

I feel horrible about saying this, because I hate how negative gamers are and I feel like I’m adding to it by posting, but nothing.

I have yet to play part 1 of FF7R, and Rebirth is the closest thing to an interesting announcement for me

i must be insanely picky 😬

Silksong and P5R (coming to PC, at least) were probably my highlights. The Plucky Squire also looks really creative and I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure

Top five would be a tie between Final Fantasy XVI and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, The Last of Us Part I, Resident Evil 4, and Crisis Core Reunion. Honorable mention to Dragon's Dogma II which'll be amazing but had no footage.

I feel horrible about saying this, because I hate how negative gamers are and I feel like I’m adding to it by posting, but nothing.

I have yet to play part 1 of FF7R, and Rebirth is the closest thing to an interesting announcement for me

i must be insanely picky 😬
Eh, outside of Rebirth nothing really did much for me either. I'm pretty picky too. The trends the current industry are chasing don't really interest me.

Plucky Squire looks pretty neat. SFVI, not the biggest fan of the series, but it certainly looks promising and aesthetically far superior to IV and V, is not something I'll play at launch or near it most likely, not the biggest fan of the roster
I dislike Street Fighter II, as a fan of Alpha 3 and 3rd Strike, is ridiculous that neither gets representation, but at least it has Juri, and some of the newcomers look neat, but still, that is a low number of potential characters for me to play as
, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Final Fantasy XVI was the highlight, Final Fantasy XII + A Realm Reborn, Heavensward, and Stormblood, ARR and HW writer, potentially an action combat system that doesn't suck from Square (Mana games being the one exception), mah boi Soken, and the people I don't trust are busy with VIIR. It has all the ingredients to be incredible. Only negative is that I'll have to wait a good while before it comes to PC.

Wo Long - Stranger of Paradise was good, CHAOTIC fun. But I'm more than ready for Team Ninja and Kou Shibasawa to bring me the next definitive successor to Nioh (and Ninja Gaiden)'s legacy.

Dragon's Dogma 2 - Again, ten years is a long time to wait for just getting a jpg of a title graphic. But at least it's FINALLY announced.

FF16 - Speaking of DD, I'm looking forward to seeing what Ryota Suzuki bought to the table after getting poached by Square Enix.

SF6 - I never thought I'd be interested in a Capcom fighter again, but here we are. Game looks fun, the aesthetics are looking great and the leaked cast looks to be the best roster the series has seen in years, at least by looks alone.

For the time being, Nintendo actually has their work cutout for them, if they want to get as much a response out of me as these above four have within these last few weeks.

I think it's Resident Evil 4 remake. The original was a big part of my childhood and adolescence, I love it so much. And seeing it redone was quite something.

I think Persona 5 Royal, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 3 Portable being announced for Xbox was my best moment too because in my head that means they'll all come to Switch later too.

I think Street Fighter VI, Eternights, and Plucky Squire are the only things that impressed me. That one game that was basically an interactive prestige TV show from Microsoft's show also looked cool, as did FF16, though I wouldn't say they "impressed" me.

Persona 5 Royal coming to PC is also dope since it'll inevitably be sold for pretty cheap on a Steam sale and that'll probably be my preferred way of playing it when I feel like enough time has passed since playing vanilla P5.

I actually made a thread for this a few days ago, but it got buried a bit after Wednesday. That said, I wanted to share here cause I think a lot of us highlighted a bunch of neat indies that have been discussed less. Melatonin and frogs tale were especially exciting to me!

I'll definitely throw FF7 Rebirth into my most exciting announcements, though it still doesn't feel like a real game to me since I'm assuming it'll get delayed into at least 2024 lol. We shall see

Anyway, here's the other thread with some highlights various people discussed!

Words can't express my hype for FFXVI!

Starfield is a runner up. Can't wait to explore those worlds.

Does Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak count? Revealed a while ago but heavily featured during not!E3, I'm psyched beyond belief to play it in two weeks

I actually made a thread for this a few days ago, but it got buried a bit after Wednesday. That said, I wanted to share here cause I think a lot of us highlighted a bunch of neat indies that have been discussed less. Melatonin and frogs tale were especially exciting to me!

I'll definitely throw FF7 Rebirth into my most exciting announcements, though it still doesn't feel like a real game to me since I'm assuming it'll get delayed into at least 2024 lol. We shall see

Anyway, here's the other thread with some highlights various people discussed!
Wow I totally missed that! I would have just bumped your thread if I had seen it. Sorry!

Like most of you mentioned.. The Plucky Squire. Genuinely my fave trailer if the past few weeks. TMNT getting a release date was also a highlight and I'm loving the game.

None of the 'big' stuff really grabbed me, I've never been into Resi, FF or Street Fighter but appreciate they're cool announcements. Redfall looks cool but I don't have an xbox

The Plucky Squire. It just seems so playful with the storytelling and both the idea and history of games in general.

Nothing really resonated with me still, to be perfectly honest. At max, I went "that's neat" for some titles, but I don't have the urge to pre-order anything that has been announced or first shown this month so far.

Still waiting for Crash Bandicoot and Donkey Kong (preferencially both) to have something to look forward.

From a Switch perspective it has been quite barren but some new Silksong footage was nice

Overall:
Silksong
Diablo IV

Are probably my favorite two things of all shows

Street Fighter 6. It looks so good, and I'm excited by the ambition they have with its scope. Plus, the roster leak made its reveal even more impressive.

Resident Evil 4. We haven't seen much (barely any gameplay), but the original is one of my favorite game ever, and modern Resident Evil is all bangers (I even really like REmake 3)

Final Fantasy XVI. I'm all in for Final Fantasy action RPG games, and it looks really really good and huge. Can't wait.

Not particularely impressed by Starfield's showing, but if they actually care about roleplaying systems in this one and don't make it too streamlined (even something along the lines of Skyrim would satisfy me. Something in the lines of Fallout 4 wouldn't), then I should absolutely love this one. A bit scared of the scope of it (who care about 1000 explorable planets if they're all empty or full of uninteresting interiors to explore), but I liked what we saw of the character creation system (especially the origin of our characters, it has some good stuff, like the one which grants you still living parents, or the one that gives you a house from the get go but with a debt to pay)

There were a lot of games that I'm interested in - Resident Evil 4, Final Fantasy XVI, Rebirth, Crisis Core, Street Fighter VI, Starfield, Forza 8, and more I'm probably forgetting. But one game stands out to me as the most hype by far, and that is Horizon: Call of the Mountain. Nothing else this year has blown my mind like that trailer. It's the killer app for PSVR2 and I am here for it.

Biggest surprise for me was Diablo IV. I won't buy it - there's the Activision stuff ofc, but I also have a long-standing hatred of this series going all the way back (I put a lot of the blame of gaming culture's uncritical acceptance of the loot grind on this game, and a lot of the mechanics it introduced have seeped out and been very influential in the industry in the worst kind of way), but aesthetically it looked really good.
Other than that, Sonic Frontiers if that counts - weird to feel curious and slightly optimistic about a Sonic Team game, but it's making what I consider to be a ton of smart design decisions.
Street Fighter 6, thought mostly due to the leaked cast than what has been officially presented lol.

The remakes look good and all, but I'm not putting remakes on my list.

EDIT:
The Plucky Squire too!

Last edited:
Pentiment easily. I read The Name of the Rose last fall and it was an absolute joy so a game with similar setting and seemingly story setup is very exciting.

Also all things Final Fantasy since I’m falling for that series lately.

Looking forward to hopefully getting new Prime 4 info and maybe a new Advance Wars release date.

There were a few smaller games from Microsofts presentation that looked fun, especially Cocoon, Pentiment, Benedict Fox, and Lightyear Frontier. These will be solid gamepass picks for me.

Also, as much as the internet dunks on Bethesda, Starfield looks like something I can sink a bunch of time into. Looking forward to it.

Above all else, though, the Final Fantasy announcements got me really excited. XVI looks good, I'll get to play Crisis Core for the first time, and Rebirth has me really hyped. It looks like I will need to get a PS5 within a year or so.

There's a ton of stuff that looked really really good but little stuck with me due to the messiness of this not-E3 and has made getting excited about things a little difficult. But I'll try:

• With Final Fantasy XVI it's mostly the pedigree of the people working on it that has me excited. It's not like the footage doesn't look great or anything (I was extremely impressed) but I've yet to get a feel for the game and how it'll play. I think the closer we get to its release the better it's going to look.
  • Devolver had a lot of cool stuff, the two that have me most excited are The Plucky Squire and Skate Story.
  • Obviously Silksong which looks and will be phenomenal.
  • Wo Long and Dragon's Dogma 2 get honourable mentions but it's not like we've seen anything substantial.
  • What they've shown of Resident Evil 4 Remake has assuaged my fears somewhat, just need to see more of it and that dog.

Plucky Squire
Cult of the Lamb
30 Birds
Here Comes Niko!
Cassette Beasts
Potion Permit
Moonstone Island
Paradise Marsh
Ooblets

Lot of interesting games shown off in the Devolver and wholesome showcases. Day of the devs, too.

The Plucky Squire, Street Fighter VI and Pentiment were the big highlights for me. I’m cautiously optimistic for RE4R but I still need to see more gameplay footage for that one.

Bear and Breakfast, Potion Permit, Ooblets and a few more the from Wholesome Direct. Wasn’t very interested in any of the big AAA games.

The Plucky Squire is really in my wheelhouse. Looking forward to that. Also excited about Tinykin coming soon.

Street Fighter 6 looked amazing and seems like Capcom is doing everything right from where they screwed up on 5. Frankly I think of pretty much from what Capcom showed was all ace.

RE4R
RE8 DLC
SF6
Exoprimal
Sunbreak
Dragon's Dogma 2

Good time to be a Capcom fan.

In no particular order:

Plucky Squire
Street Fighter VI
Cult of the Lamb
Tactical Breach Wizards
Anger Foot
Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song Remaster

Street Fighter 6
The Plucky Squire
The Callisto Protocol
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7 Reunion
The Last Case of Benedict Fox

Not much to go on but Dragon’s Dogma 2 is already GOTY material.

Street Fighter 6
The Plucky Squire
The Callisto Protocol
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7 Reunion
The Last Case of Benedict Fox

Not much to go on but Dragon’s Dogma 2 is already GOTY material.

Hey, welcome back and congrats!!

Back
Top Bottom