• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What was the original source of the 2D Donkey Kong rumor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no expert on hiring calls or which factions of EPD work on which games. All I know is the information I've heard from Hyle on the DK Vine forums and the Kongversation. It's anyone's guess at what EPD's cooking with the new DK game.

Well, that’s where applying knowledge about EPD’s structure can help out with speculation! Breaking down what every group is known or likely to be working on, the DK project being in production in Tokyo is really the only option left open:

Kyoto:
  • Group 1: Currently MIA, as Group 2 appear to have taken up all of their usual projects. If any Kyoto group were to be reformed into an internal production group capable of handling DK it would have to be this one, but there is nothing tangible to go on for this line of speculation, and the timeline doesn’t match up with when MonkEPD would’ve entered production (their absence started in 2020).
  • Group 2: Collaboration and assistance on the majority of externally developed first-party projects and series (Kirby, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, etc). Don’t have their own internal projects, so no DK.
  • Group 3: Zelda group; obviously wrapping up Tears of the Kingdom and likely getting to work on DLC content. DK wouldn’t be here.
  • Group 4: Casual projects (1-2-Switch, Labo, Ring Fit, Switch Sports, etc). Don’t think a new Donkey Kong would be handled under this group.
  • Group 5: Animal Crossing / Splatoon group. While their projects are some of the few with DKC references (a DKC1 parody box in Splatoon 2 and 3, and a mention of Crocodile Isle in New Horizons) those two series in perpetuity are going to keep them too busy to touch DK.
  • Group 6: Tanabe’s group; assistance with all the external projects he has a role in (WarioWare and Paper Mario from IntSys, Next Level’s games, Retro’s games). If they converted to internal production DK would fit in, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.
  • Group 7: Sakamoto’s group; hasn’t been credited on an internally developed project since Rhythm Heaven Megamix and Miitomo, only external collaborations (Samus Returns, Famicom Detective Club, Dread); their current status is a mystery, but it likely doesn’t involve DK.
  • Group 9: Mario Kart group (also other projects over the years like Nintendogs and ARMS). Definitely not the group that would pick up another big property like DK.
  • Group 10: Pikmin 4 is just four months away, and they have certainly been working away on the next 2D Mario since at least 2019 as well. Too busy for DK.
Tokyo:
  • Group 8: 3D Mario group; the only one here. It isn’t impossible that with them seemingly split on two projects (3D and 2D; Mario and possibly DK) a new production group has been established in Tokyo for the DK project, though.
With all this in mind the odds of the DK project being in production in Kyoto are pretty low; even before using Jungle Beat to connect Tokyo to DK. I did set out one possibility for Kyoto that DK could fit into (Group 1), but that seems like a stretch for now.

I’m of the mind that EPD’s DK project isn’t pulling too strongly from what VV were working on, and doesn’t have to 3D either (at least fully 3D; who knows, maybe a Crash or Boost Sonic style hybrid is in the cards).

I'm curious as to if you all think well be seeing a General Direct in the summer or not. Either way I think we'll get a September Direct but if there were, say, a big game coming out at the end of the year (like DK) they would need to announce it a few months in advance. DK is historically announced at E3 as well, but Nintendo won't be attending this year. Not to say DK needs to be announced in the summer for it to exist, but I think if we don't get a summer Direct we won't be seeing DK until next year. That ominous empty second half of Nintnedos year is just begging to be occupied by DK, though! It's a tough call if you ask me

With nothing dated after Pikmin a Summer presentation of some kind is a guarantee; just doesn’t have to be in the typical June window if they feel it unnecessary.

Well, that’s where applying knowledge about EPD’s structure can help out with speculation! Breaking down what every group is known or likely to be working on, the DK project being in production in Tokyo is really the only option left open:

Kyoto:
  • Group 1: Currently MIA, as Group 2 appear to have taken up all of their usual projects. If any Kyoto group were to be reformed into an internal production group capable of handling DK it would have to be this one, but there is nothing tangible to go on for this line of speculation, and the timeline doesn’t match up with when MonkEPD would’ve entered production (their absence started in 2020).
  • Group 2: Collaboration and assistance on the majority of externally developed first-party projects and series (Kirby, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, etc). Don’t have their own internal projects, so no DK.
  • Group 3: Zelda group; obviously wrapping up Tears of the Kingdom and likely getting to work on DLC content. DK wouldn’t be here.
  • Group 4: Casual projects (1-2-Switch, Labo, Ring Fit, Switch Sports, etc). Don’t think a new Donkey Kong would be handled under this group.
  • Group 5: Animal Crossing / Splatoon group. While their projects are some of the few with DKC references (a DKC1 parody box in Splatoon 2 and 3, and a mention of Crocodile Isle in New Horizons) those two series in perpetuity are going to keep them too busy to touch DK.
  • Group 6: Tanabe’s group; assistance with all the external projects he has a role in (WarioWare and Paper Mario from IntSys, Next Level’s games, Retro’s games). If they converted to internal production DK would fit in, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.
  • Group 7: Sakamoto’s group; hasn’t been credited on an internally developed project since Rhythm Heaven Megamix and Miitomo, only external collaborations (Samus Returns, Famicom Detective Club, Dread); their current status is a mystery, but it likely doesn’t involve DK.
  • Group 9: Mario Kart group (also other projects over the years like Nintendogs and ARMS). Definitely not the group that would pick up another big property like DK.
  • Group 10: Pikmin 4 is just four months away, and they have certainly been working away on the next 2D Mario since at least 2019 as well. Too busy for DK.
Tokyo:
  • Group 8: 3D Mario group; the only one here. It isn’t impossible that with them seemingly split on two projects (3D and 2D; Mario and possibly DK) a new production group has been established in Tokyo for the DK project, though.
With all this in mind the odds of the DK project being in production in Kyoto are pretty low; even before using Jungle Beat to connect Tokyo to DK. I did set out one possibility for Kyoto that DK could fit into (Group 1), but that seems like a stretch for now.

I’m of the mind that EPD’s DK project isn’t pulling too strongly from what VV were working on, and doesn’t have to 3D either (at least fully 3D; who knows, maybe a Crash or Boost Sonic style hybrid is in the cards).

With nothing dated after Pikmin a Summer presentation of some kind is a guarantee; just doesn’t have to be in the typical June window if they feel it unnecessary.
That's all very interesting. I enjoyed reading through all of those teams and their wheelhouse. Thanks for that!

Although it's admittedly a big assumption, the info Hyle shared is that he was "lead to believe" that this new DK game has come from a newly formed EPD team (Group 11 if you will) that was assembled by Miyamoto and younger EPD staff that grew up on DKC so staff in their 30s and 40s I'd presume. He claims that the team was formed "specifically for the creation of Donkey Kong games".

How much of this is true is up for debate, so it's difficult to say and only time will tell. Group 8 could also be splitting time between DK and Mario like you mentioned similar to how Group 5 splits time between Splatoon and Animal Crossing.

Those are the two likely scenarios imo

That's all very interesting. I enjoyed reading through all of those teams and their wheelhouse. Thanks for that!

Although it's admittedly a big assumption, the info Hyle shared is that he was "lead to believe" that this new DK game has come from a newly formed EPD team (Group 11 if you will) that was assembled by Miyamoto and younger EPD staff that grew up on DKC so staff in their 30s and 40s I'd presume. He claims that the team was formed "specifically for the creation of Donkey Kong games".

How much of this is true is up for debate, so it's difficult to say and only time will tell. Group 8 could also be splitting time between DK and Mario like you mentioned similar to how Group 5 splits time between Splatoon and Animal Crossing.

Those are the two likely scenarios imo
Yeah. The belief is the DK team is a younger team that grew up on the games and want to try their hand at crafting one.

Well, this is the first time I've seen the DK ip being asked about to Nintendo is several years. When even the press is missing DK, you kind of get a feeling that a new game would absolutely send shockwaves. Hope the new team makes something truly special.

THANK YOU NINTENDO PRIME!!!

Amazing! It's surreal to think that Nintendo Prime is publishing my thoughts. I've always been a fan :)

This was a great summary of this thread as well as adding what Mike Odyssey mentioned about how Mario, DK and Pokemon are going to be pushed as multimedia juggernauts in the future.

The only thing that was incorrect about the video was him mentioning that "DK was never a big IP outside of the arcade era". DK was the third best selling IP for Nintendo in the 1990s (after Mario and Pokemon) and was a major IP on the SNES, Game Boy, and N64:

Nintendo just fumbled the bag after the Rare buyout and DK hasn't been a major IP since DK64 bc there's been no momentum for the franchise since its switched development houses for so long. Hopefully that'll change in the future :)

Last edited:
Really hope this leads to more light being shed across the Nitnendo community!!! Also, it seems Diddy has been datamined for MK8, so it seems like a double win today

Why exactly do they call it out for Switch 2? Work has been too crazy after the SVB fallout so don’t have much time to look at vids these days(between work and kids, I only have time to cook food lol).

Why exactly do they call it out for Switch 2? Work has been too crazy after the SVB fallout so don’t have much time to look at vids these days(between work and kids, I only have time to cook food lol).
That was Professor Chop's theory. I also mentioned that it could launch on the Switch 2, but I'm kinda 50/50 on that. It's just educated guesses from both of us. No new information.

I think we are going to have a DK blowout for the second half of the year. Noticed how they teased Lego Donkey Kong coming this Summer. Just a tease and no other details. 👀

Really hope this leads to more light being shed across the Nitnendo community!!! Also, it seems Diddy has been datamined for MK8, so it seems like a double win today
For real?

I think we are going to have a DK blowout for the second half of the year. Noticed how they teased Lego Donkey Kong coming this Summer. Just a tease and no other details. 👀
DK is certainly strong enough to carry Ninty's back half, and the SMB movie would only help with his "reintroduction" to the masses.

Hope they roll out the red carpet for him~

DK is certainly strong enough to carry Ninty's back half, and the SMB movie would only help with his "reintroduction" to the masses.

Hope they roll out the red carpet for him~
A back half of Metroid Prime 4 and DK, coupled with the first half of the year with FE, Zelda and Pikmin? I would do things that would put me in jail to make that happen.

The ominous "summer" release date for lego dk could bode well for a DK blowout. I know I said I'm iffy about a summer direct a few days ago but if we did get one, who's to say we don't get a big chunk of it dedicated to DK, with a new game, a lego set, maaaaybe a movie tease, and all of the missing DK games on NSO (I mean, really, we don't even have DK '94 and Mario VS DK on GBA announced, that is absolutely suspicious to me). That's my cope for today lmao

The ominous "summer" release date for lego dk could bode well for a DK blowout. I know I said I'm iffy about a summer direct a few days ago but if we did get one, who's to say we don't get a big chunk of it dedicated to DK, with a new game, a lego set, maaaaybe a movie tease, and all of the missing DK games on NSO (I mean, really, we don't even have DK '94 and Mario VS DK on GBA announced, that is absolutely suspicious to me). That's my cope for today lmao
If nothing else, I feel that Nintendo wants to get both Tears of the Kingdom and the Mario movie out of the way before shifting their focus to DK or any other Nintendo IP for that matter. It wouldn't make sense to announce a DK movie before this movie is out and it wouldn't make sense to announce a DK game before Tears of the Kingdom is out.

Last edited:
Yeah the contents of that tweet aren’t relevant to 8DX at all (and they are 100% wrong about Petey regardless, his cup icon will be after Mii); would not recommend paying attention to it. Diddy will happen regardless anyway, and Funky is plenty likely as well.

Magic-Man: "Jeez, this DK thread is pretty popular! What are they discussing, those rumors were probably fa---"

"VICARIOUS VISIONS WAS WHAT?!?"

I saw the video about some news coming from this thread. So is the thought is the game is 3D?

There's some evidence that there was a DK game, being developed by Vicarious Visions, that would have been in 3D. It would have featured DK being able to grind on vines with banana slippers, like rail grinding in SA 2, and Pauline gameplay with her investigating pollution to the DK water supply. But the game was cancelled, and now there's no way to know for sure what the new game will be like, or what might have carried over from that cancelled game.

I saw the video about some news coming from this thread. So is the thought is the game is 3D?

It has no shot of being both 3D and ambitious, there's no bandwidth available at Nintendo and no 3D platformer devs available for Nintendo to contract.

Next Level: Probably making Luigi's Mansion 4
Retro: Making Metroid Prime 4
NST: I guess the only potential dev that could make this?
EPD: TotK, Pikmin 4, Mario Kart 8 DLC, Splatoon 3 support, more casual games, almost surely the next 3D Mario, almost surely the next Animal Crossing, almost surely the next Mario Kart, almost surely the next Ring Fit, almost surely the next 2D Mario, more

With what devs would Nintendo have make an ambitious 3D Donkey Kong game.

Last edited:
It has no shot of being both 3D and ambitious, there's no bandwidth available at Nintendo and no 3D platformer devs available for Nintendo to contract.

EPD: TotK, Pikmin 4, Mario Kart 8 DLC, Splatoon 3 support, more casual games, almost surely the next 3D Mario, almost surely the next Animal Crossing, almost surely the next Mario Kart, almost surely the next Ring Fit, almost surely the next 2D Mario, more

Apparently it is a new team, composed of some people that worked on Odyssey and probably some new hires. Not every dev needs 3D platformer development experience.

Despite the whole community enthusiasm about a new 3D Donkey Kong game in 24 years.. I'm still on the side of hoping it's a traditional 2D sidescroller in the DKC formula..

Again, it's just my fear of not liking such experimentation and passing by another 9+ years without a new DKC... and I know it's a case of one or another; we're not fortunate enough to be having Donkey Kong games back to back like in the 90's...

Being a tad more optimistic, I could end liking it a lot if it's actual translation of the DKC games in 3D, meaning linear levels with a set goal, and not a sandbox, open-world, collect-a-thon game; but even then.. wouldn't still fill the hole of a 3rd modern DKC game.

And I also don't believe that a 2D game can't wow people anymore and put DK in the rightful place he deserves; Because we've seen plenty of 2D games being received better than 3D games in the past few years (e.g. Sonic Mania); -- We don't necessarily >NEED< a 3D game to break into mainstream; Donkey Kong as a brand is already mainstream, he just needs a new game at all lol

Which developers at Nintendo had experience making third-person shooters before Splatoon? Which developers at Retro Studios had experience making 2D platformers before Donkey Kong Country Returns? This is such silly logic. 3D games are the norm in the industry now, especially among the younger developers who are said to be working on this new title.

Which developers at Nintendo had experience making third-person shooters before Splatoon? Which developers at Retro Studios had experience making 2D platformers before Donkey Kong Country Returns? This is such silly logic. 3D games are the norm in the industry now, especially among the younger developers who are said to be working on this new title.

I feel like the problem of "there are no 3D platformer devs Nintendo could turn to" is amplified by the "Nintendo obviously has no devs at all available to make a AAA 3D platformer Donkey Kong" problem.

I feel like the problem of "there are no 3D platformer devs Nintendo could turn to" is amplified by the "Nintendo obviously has no devs at all available to make a AAA 3D platformer Donkey Kong" problem.
How though? Nintendo has thousands of developers, it can move around anyone on a whim to meets a project’s needs and demands.

Not saying it will not show up in 2023 but I doubt it releasing this year. 2D Mario on the other hand has a highly better chance of actually releasing this year.

None that we may easily look up right now and see what they're up to, but that doesnt mean that they dont exist. Remember the job listings from a few years ago, it's perfectly reasonable to assume that Nintendo hires more talent to produce more products to make more money. If we assume that the DK team is newly formed (which I'm confident is the case), they probably wouldn't publicly acknowledge this team until they've announced/released their first game. Also worth mentioning that Nintnedo is regularly private about who develops their games even when they've been confirmed. We never got official word on who was making Prime 4 before Retro, and there was an entire year and a half gap between MP4s announcement and its reboot.

2014: The last Donkey Kong game, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, releases
2015: Vicarious Visions begins development on a new Donkey Kong game
2016: Harambe is shot and killed
2017: Vicarious Vision's Donkey Kong is cancelled, no new game in almost a decade

Regarding the whole VV cancelled project, here's a few important details that I may have not shared.

First, this DK project was started after Skylanders Supercharged released on the Wii U. This version added both DK and Bowser as exclusive playable characters. This project is was what got the ball rolling on the cancelled DK game which was in development around 2015-2016. It was likely around sometime in 2016 or early 2017 where the game was cancelled and VV shifted focus on developing the Crash N. Sane Trilogy while EPD picked up the project in late 2017-2018 with a new team.

What's important to note is that the ONLY reason we're aware of this game's existence is because it was being developed by a Western studio and a project of this magnitude would inevitably leak. Some well known people in the industry even knew about the existence of this game in 2021, but didn't share this info out of fear of revealing their sources.

If we were in a timeline where EPD took DK in house around 2017-2018 with no cancelled VV game, then we'd be completely left in the dark regarding a DK game being in development since EPD is airtight with its leaks. We'd simply be speculating that a DK game is most likely in the works due to the marketing push of the theme park, the Mario movie, and stuff like Lego DK coming out. Also, consider that King K. Rool was the one of the very few Smash characters that didn't leak prior to his reveal, so that tells me that Nintendo is very good at keeping what's brewing for DK secret.

I watched the Nintendo Prime stream last night, and he mentioned a very interesting detail. He claims that some staff with a build of the cancelled game dubbed "Donkey Kong Freedom" showed him about 40 seconds of footage of the game in action. Obviously this game was in the prototyping stage, and was probably a pre-Alpha. He mentioned that the game was about as big as Breath of the Wild in scope. Since he mentioned that he's seen footage of it, that's another credible person who claims to have seen/heard about this game.

Last edited:
Despite the whole community enthusiasm about a new 3D Donkey Kong game in 24 years.. I'm still on the side of hoping it's a traditional 2D sidescroller in the DKC formula..

Again, it's just my fear of not liking such experimentation and passing by another 9+ years without a new DKC... and I know it's a case of one or another; we're not fortunate enough to be having Donkey Kong games back to back like in the 90's...

Being a tad more optimistic, I could end liking it a lot if it's actual translation of the DKC games in 3D, meaning linear levels with a set goal, and not a sandbox, open-world, collect-a-thon game; but even then.. wouldn't still fill the hole of a 3rd modern DKC game.

And I also don't believe that a 2D game can't wow people anymore and put DK in the rightful place he deserves; Because we've seen plenty of 2D games being received better than 3D games in the past few years (e.g. Sonic Mania); -- We don't necessarily >NEED< a 3D game to break into mainstream; Donkey Kong as a brand is already mainstream, he just needs a new game at all lol
I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for a 2D platform! The 2D parts of Galaxy 1-2 and Odyssey were really good... and Jungle Beat was too.

I know Jungle Beat isn't very popular among Rare DK fans (so basically 99% of DK fans), and I also think jettisoning everything created by Rare was a mistake (especially because it was replaced by nothing interesting, though I liked the lil' monkeys). But gameplay-wise Jungle Beat was incredible, and there is nothing like it on the market.

Integrating Jungle Beat's rhythmic feel and some of its gameplay mechanisms into the more traditional Rare/Retro framework would result in an excellent 2D platform.

Is Nintendo Prime actually credible, though? Didn't they have a fairly weird relationship with this forum? I'm really not interested in mud-slinging but I feel like people should be treating this stuff with plenty of caution; especially because the loop right now is DK Vine > Fami > YouTube > Fami.

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for a 2D platform! The 2D parts of Galaxy 1-2 and Odyssey were really good... and Jungle Beat was too.

I know Jungle Beat isn't very popular among Rare DK fans (so basically 99% of DK fans), and I also think jettisoning everything created by Rare was a mistake (especially because it was replaced by nothing interesting, though I liked the lil' monkeys). But gameplay-wise Jungle Beat was incredible, and there is nothing like it on the market.

Integrating Jungle Beat's rhythmic feel and some of its gameplay mechanisms into the more traditional Rare/Retro framework would result in an excellent 2D platform.
I think most DK fans look at Jungle Beat more favorably now than when it was released. I personally wouldn't mind it if the next game borrowed a little bit more from Jungle Beat as long as the series' regulars are present.

Is Nintendo Prime actually credible, though? Didn't they have a fairly weird relationship with this forum? I'm really not interested in mud-slinging but I feel like people should be treating this stuff with plenty of caution; especially because the loop right now is DK Vine > Fami > YouTube > Fami.
It's not that he's more credible than anyone else in this case, but a few of us do have an idea where the source of his information came from.

At 1:30:51 the Donkey Kong VV discussion begins!

I’m just super excited about this! The livestream was amazing, better than I would have ever imagined.

The fact Nintendo Prime was given exclusive access to 40 seconds video footage of Donkey Kong Freedom is just mind blowing.

This is a major W for all DK fans!

The issue isn't "Nintendo doesn't have a named EPD dev team that is free" it's "Nintendo EPD literally can't make this many AAA games at once"

How many AAA games do you really think EPD can make in a given time.

Nintendo EPD's main focuses

Finishing TotK, then starting the next Open Air Zelda
Finishing Mario Kart 8 DLC and doing the next Mario Kart
Doing the next Animal Crossing
Doing the next 3D Mario

If Namco is done making Smash Bros and EPD has to make Smash Bros now, this becomes their other top priority.

After their four biggest IPs, Nintendo obviously is going to make a sequel to Ring Fit, they'll make a Splatoon 4 when they're done with Splatoon 3, they're seemingly making two different 2D platformers, they're obviously making a bunch of different casual games so like... How many games do you think they can actually make.

The issue isn't "Nintendo doesn't have a named EPD dev team that is free" it's "Nintendo EPD literally can't make this many AAA games at once"

How many AAA games do you really think EPD can make in a given time.

Nintendo EPD's main focuses

Finishing TotK, then starting the next Open Air Zelda
Finishing Mario Kart 8 DLC and doing the next Mario Kart
Doing the next Animal Crossing
Doing the next 3D Mario

If Namco is done making Smash Bros and EPD has to make Smash Bros now, this becomes their other top priority.

After their four biggest IPs, Nintendo obviously is going to make a sequel to Ring Fit, they'll make a Splatoon 4 when they're done with Splatoon 3, they're seemingly making two different 2D platformers, they're obviously making a bunch of different casual games so like... How many games do you think they can actually make.
Why are you acting like you know what EPD's "main focuses" are—and that Donkey Kong can't be one of them—when Nintendo is investing hundreds of millions of dollars into a Donkey Kong theme park and rumored film? They want to turn Donkey Kong into a huge multimedia franchise, and developing a new AAA game is obviously part of that plan. We don't definitively know whether this new game will be 2D or 3D, but your implication is that a 2D game would, by default, have a smaller budget—and would therefore be a "lesser" experience. I don't agree with that mentality in the slightest. EPD's Donkey Kong game is going to be ambitious no matter what they decide to make.

New Donkey Kong game aside, I wonder if we might be getting a remaster of Donkey Kong Country Returns for Switch around the time when the Donkey Kong Country expansion for Super Nintendo World opens, considering it’s largely based on DKCR, like how the initial Mario portion of the park was heavily based on Super Mario 3D World which was released on Switch around the same time the park opened…

New Donkey Kong game aside, I wonder if we might be getting a remaster of Donkey Kong Country Returns for Switch around the time when the Donkey Kong Country expansion for Super Nintendo World opens, considering it’s largely based on DKCR, like how the initial Mario portion of the park was heavily based on Super Mario 3D World which was released on Switch around the same time the park opened…
That’s a theory I’ve brought up too. It makes too much sense :)

Why are you acting like you know what EPD's "main focuses" are—and that Donkey Kong can't be one of them—when Nintendo is investing hundreds of millions of dollars into a Donkey Kong theme park and rumored film? They want to turn Donkey Kong into a huge multimedia franchise, and developing a new AAA game is obviously part of that plan. We don't definitively know whether this new game will be 2D or 3D, but your implication is that a 2D game would, by default, have a smaller budget—and would therefore be a "lesser" experience. I don't agree with that mentality in the slightest. EPD's Donkey Kong game is going to be ambitious no matter what they decide to make.
For some reason Nintendo fans are always very confident that things will stay exactly as they are at a given moment forever.

I'd love that. If we could get the HD graphics of the Nvidia port, the extra levels from DKCR3D, and the TF characters it would be an instant buy for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom