• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What third party publisher has given Switch the best support?

Embracer group, honestly (brrrrr, but it’s true). Koei Tecmo too. Also NIS, Annapurna, Rebellion and Devolver on the more “indy” side of things.

Of course Bethesda support from the start with AAA impossible ports basically kickstarted this support and I feel like they made a huge difference in how the console was looked at concerning what made sense on the platform and how it was being supported by 3rd parties.

Ah yes, I forgot about Embracer! One of the few who seems to treat Switch as just another system to port to instead of putting it in some weird category for semi-support.

So far, their subsidiaries have brought or are bringing the likes of Wreckfest, World War Z, Darksiders 3, Redout 2, the Crysis Remastered Trilogy, Destroy All Humans, and Kingdom Come Deliverance.

Their recent acquisition of Tomb Raider has me hopeful we'll see more of Lara's adventures make their way to the Switch! :)

If you include their Japanese exclusive games, Koei Tecmo is practically in a league of their own.

Sega has a ton of rpgs out / coming. They also released Sonic games, Puyo Puyo games, sega ages lineup and seem to prioritize switch.

After that Partner Direct.. well, still Square.
Yuuuup. Switch is basically the second coming of the SNES to me. I get all my Nintendo and S-E is happily putting all their PS1/PS2 era titles on Nintendo hardware (and everywhere else) plus new things when they can. Which is just insane knowing the history between the two companies.

Square is probably the only big JP publisher to understand that AA games help the bottom line at home.
They were pretty good with AA stuff on DS and 3DS so the Switch support is a natural evolution off that, especially with them embracing digital (with limited physical releases in Asia) for smaller projects. Really the big thing the Switch bring to the table for them is hardware that can run things like Unity and UE4 which allows for easier ports so the Switch gets included in more releases.

SE is an interesting case. The Enix side is very much well represented, Square side not so much. They do have the quantity though.
Are you sure you're not confusing Enix and Square? Beyond DQ 11 and the spin-offs there's barely any Enix content on Switch beyond the ActRaiser re-release which was out of left field. Meanwhile they've been doing a great job with the Square side of the company porting/remastering a number of classic SNES/PS1/PS2 titles for the platform as well as releasing games in series or styles long associated with Square.

Ah yes, I forgot about Embracer! One of the few who seems to treat Switch as just another system to port to instead of putting it in some weird category for semi-support.
Embracer had an amazing year on Switch in 2021 but this year they're a little slow. Just Wreckfest from THQ and nothing from Deep Silver side. We got Wreckfest rumored and Chorus hinted by the devs and that's it. Maybe they're currently focused on Switch Pro?
Are you sure you're not confusing Enix and Square? Beyond DQ 11 and the spin-offs there's barely any Enix content on Switch beyond the ActRaiser re-release which was out of left field. Meanwhile they've been doing a great job with the Square side of the company porting/remastering a number of classic SNES/PS1/PS2 titles for the platform as well as releasing games in series or styles long associated with Square.
Yep. Two big Enix sequels, Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile are skipping Switch. Meanwhile on the Square side both Mana and SaGa devs are huge fans of Switch. And we got insane amount of FF content compared to limited DQ presence.

Team Asano games come from the Enix side even if they are influenced by Square games. Asano and his team started in Enix and still work like they did it during the Enix days of producing the game and outsourcing development.

Team Asano games come from the Enix side even if they are influenced by Square games. Asano and his team started in Enix and still work like they did it during the Enix days of producing the game and outsourcing development.
I didn't know that, but I kinda suspected that might be the case given Team Asano seems more responsible for the production and scenario while the development work is handled by a different company. Which, if I'm recalling correctly, is how Dragon Quest games were traditionally developed.

Bethesda went way above and beyond for a Western publisher. I really hope they are allowed to continue to support Nintendo platforms with some things and Microsoft don't see it as too much of a competitive issue. Ubisoft have been pretty supportive too. The Switch has no right to be running Fenyx Rising, the first Mario + Rabbids game is excellent and the next one looks equally good.

I wish Square Enix had supported the system with stuff from their western studios before they sold up. Deus Ex and Tomb Raider would have been nice! Hopefully Embracer will support Nintendo platforms with those franchises a little more. Other than that Square Enix support is clearly quite strong too.

For indies, Annapurna Interactive and Devolver Digital are definitely the bigger fish in that particular ocean.

Asano is from Enix, so I'd say the "Asano games" would fall under the Enix side. So Enix side gives more newer games while Square side is more into ports.

Asano is from Enix, so I'd say the "Asano games" would fall under the Enix side. So Enix side gives more newer games while Square side is more into ports.
Asano needs to remake the goddamn Quintet Trilogy then

Asano needs to remake the goddamn Quintet Trilogy then
Can we get Robotrek/Slapstick while he's at it?

Where do NEO TWEWY, Dungeon Encounters, Voice of Cards, and the RPG Factory games fall?

Last edited:
Asano was at Enix for a year, he has worked on Grandia spinoff and that PS2 robot game, that's it. Grandia is not even a Square-enix game. He's a full Square guy, all of his Nintendo games were spiritual successor to Final Fantasy games, that includes Triangle Strategy. FF3 is his favorite game.

We need Tri-Ace support for Switch to have full Enix support. They are the creators of the biggest Enix series after DQ: Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile. Both are getting sequels but not for Switch. And I hope Square continues to remake classic Quintet games like ActRaiser. Stuff like Illusion of Gaia or Soul Blazer.

Where do NEO TWEWY, Dungeon Encounters, Voice of Cards, and the RPG Factory games fall?
NEO Twevy was made by Square side (Creative Buisness Division 1, Nomura/KH team)

RPG Factory is their own thing is hard to say it is Enix or Square but I’d probably consider it Square but really there isnt a clear connection imo between RPG Factory and Square or Enix

Dungeon Encounters are made by devs usually considered of the Square side (made in-house by ‘Square’ devs) and Voice of Cards is considered Enix (main developer 3rd party)

Of course Square Enix is now just one company so there is a mix of developers and even ideas (Team Asano making Square inspired games for example). Also Enix is considered more Nintendo friendly basically because Team Asano/DQ really , all their other output depends on the 3rd party dev if they decide that it comes or not to Switch. Only DQ/Team Asano games have to be on Switch probably because being their biggest platform by far due to Nintendo history with these titles.

Last edited:
Embracer had an amazing year on Switch in 2021 but this year they're a little slow. Just Wreckfest from THQ and nothing from Deep Silver side. We got Wreckfest rumored and Chorus hinted by the devs and that's it. Maybe they're currently focused on Switch Pro?
Redout 2 and Kingdom Come Deliverance are on their way to Switch, the former due this month.
There's a good chance they'll bring over some of the Tomb Raider games too now they have the rights, though that might not come to fruition until next year. Maybe Deus Ex Human Revolution as well.

Back
Top Bottom